Jump to content
Fiaura The Tank Girl

Elite: Dangerous - Anyone Out there?

Recommended Posts

Just stay away from it.  You never did see The Black Hole, did you?  Messing around with black holes never ends well.  At least not if you're a megalomaniacal scientist.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, FlorbFnarb said:

Just stay away from it.  You never did see The Black Hole, did you?  Messing around with black holes never ends well.  At least not if you're a megalomaniacal scientist.

Never did, although I'm well aware of what black holes do in real life :P But I've been told that black holes in ED are very underwhelming in a destruction sense.

Better photo!

Sagittarius A_star (20190319-184906) (Large).png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Never said:

Never did, although I'm well aware of what black holes do in real life :P But I've been told that black holes in ED are very underwhelming in a destruction sense.

Better photo!

Sagittarius A_star (20190319-184906) (Large).png

It looks like some cosmic gateway the Great Old Ones would come crawling out of.

I haven't toyed with black holes in ED, but the FSD will automatically kick you out of supercruise at a given distance, just like with stars.  Supposedly they constitute some sort of heat risk, but that's it.  You can't approach close enough for spaghettification.

Actually, from what I understand, with supermassive black holes you'd be across the event horizon long before that was an issue anyway.  Apparently you could cross the event horizon with no obvious transition being made.

Go watch the movie, though.  Weirdest fucking ending ever, and I saw it in the theater as a kid.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Alright, straight back to the Bubble it is. There's just not much "game" north of Sag A* to keep me jumping for so long. I still have plenty of things I want to do and achieve in and around the Bubble.

When there's nothing left for me in the Bubble, I'll pack up my stuff again and head towards Beagle Point and beyond :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/11/2017 at 10:42 PM, skyf24 said:

I just want a way to make money that isn't dependent on good enemy spawns in high RES's. I suppose if I did a CG a week or so i'd make plenty. The crappy spawns in HRS's are screwing over a friend of mine who just started, one run we made 1.5m, the next we couldnt get anything larger than an asp. extremely frustrating. 

 

On 2/12/2017 at 2:51 AM, OOPMan said:

Mate, you already have 260 million credits and a Conda. I think you can slow down :-)

I just noticed these two posts.  You asked, and Frontier delivered; I assume you boys have gone deep core mining?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, FlorbFnarb said:

 

I just noticed these two posts.  You asked, and Frontier delivered; I assume you boys have gone deep core mining?

I don't play this tedious game anymore, although I did see the buzz about deep core mining. I was vaguely tempted to play again until I remember I have already have a job that pays actual money I can use to buy actual things in the real world

:serb:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, OOPMan said:

I don't play this tedious game anymore, although I did see the buzz about deep core mining. I was vaguely tempted to play again until I remember I have already have a job that pays actual money I can use to buy actual things in the real world

:serb:

lol

 

It's fun!  It's very satisfying to see those asteroids explode in an Earth-shattering kaboom.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Never said:

Money is almost a non-issue now. A few hours in a Void Opal hotspot and you'll have enough money for pretty much anything.

Yup.  I have a Sidewinder, Cobra III, AspX, Viper, Python, Chieftain, Hauler, Krait Mk II, and just bought and A-rated an FDL, and I still have over half a billion left.  I can't just go buy *everything*, and if I generated notoriety that could make money and issue again...but I don't.

I guess if I bought and A-rated a Cutter I'd have to go deep core mining again just to give myself the cushion I'm used to, but most likely the next time I'll do it will be for fun.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Aaaand the Pottergate thread got locked.

As much as I think Potter is an asshole, if other people are getting refunds from dying in PvP, it's only fair that he can get one too. Of course, refunds for dying in PvP are stupid enough to begin with, but if FDev gives it to other players...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Never said:

Aaaand the Pottergate thread got locked.

As much as I think Potter is an asshole, if other people are getting refunds from dying in PvP, it's only fair that he can get one too. Of course, refunds for dying in PvP are stupid enough to begin with, but if FDev gives it to other players...

I could tell that thread was gonna get locked right off the bat.

I got a refund because I was an idiot, hooked up my Saitek X45, forgot I needed to calibrate it, and instead of having the sense to test it out in the training missions, I launched my Python, started spinning uncontrollably on liftoff, hit the station wall, and blew up.  Got designated an undesirable and sent to  a penal station.  Support refunded my rebuy cost and fine.

I said this elsewhere, but in my experience the closer a forum is to being official, the more toxic it is.  That subreddit is the "officially unofficial" sub for ED, so I figure it was probably started by and is maintained by somebody at Frontier...and it shows.

52 minutes ago, OOPMan said:

Right, money's no longer a problem.

So now all Frontier have to do is actually make the game fun to play.

How long has it been since you went exploring or engaged in combat?

Seriously just blowing up asteroids is really fun.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, Never said:

Man, above the galactic center is insane, feels like every other star is a neutron star or white dwarf.

Isn't the galactic center largely populated with older, metal-poor Population II stars?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Eh...I think we can just agree to disagree on the fun-ness of ED

I'm glad you guys are enjoying it.

But for me, after 300+ hours on my end I realised it was just another one of the skinner box games I've come to dislike so much. I uninstalled it to gather dust along with all the other skinner box games I've grown sick of. I've entered a new phase of my existence where the tagline "A game you can played for the rest of your life!" is kryptonite for me :-)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, OOPMan said:

Eh...I think we can just agree to disagree on the fun-ness of ED

I'm glad you guys are enjoying it.

But for me, after 300+ hours on my end I realised it was just another one of the skinner box games I've come to dislike so much. I uninstalled it to gather dust along with all the other skinner box games I've grown sick of. I've entered a new phase of my existence where the tagline "A game you can played for the rest of your life!" is kryptonite for me :-)

lol

Fair enough.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not the world's best gunner with fixed weapons and HOTAS.  Gonna leave fixed gun practice to my Vulture, stripped off the PAs and rails from the FDL, and now I'm trying an all-multicannon deal.  Gonna see how that works.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/17/2019 at 4:46 AM, FlorbFnarb said:

Always.

20190320155952_1.jpg

Seemed to work. Was enough for me to buy and fit out a Type 9 to do my mining in. Didn't feel right doing it in the shiny space dildo. I sold my old Type 9 scraping together cash for the Cutter and missed it - fantastic cockpit, and it really feels weighty and ponderous to fly. Took it back out to the same hotspot, and not an opal in sight.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, woe2you said:

20190320155952_1.jpg

Seemed to work. Was enough for me to buy and fit out a Type 9 to do my mining in. Didn't feel right doing it in the shiny space dildo. I sold my old Type 9 scraping together cash for the Cutter and missed it - fantastic cockpit, and it really feels weighty and ponderous to fly. Took it back out to the same hotspot, and not an opal in sight.

A lot of people will disagree, but I absolutely love the Type-9 / Type-10 for core mining. Not only can they pack everything you need and more, but they also make you feel like you're in one of these:

thyssenkrupp_machine_1.jpeg

In other news, I nearly just shat myself jumping into this system: https://streamable.com/trf7v

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Never said:

A lot of people will disagree, but I absolutely love the Type-9 / Type-10 for core mining. Not only can they pack everything you need and more, but they also make you feel like you're in one of these:

thyssenkrupp_machine_1.jpeg

In other news, I nearly just shat myself jumping into this system: https://streamable.com/trf7v

Ah, yes.  Good ol' close binaries.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...