Fiaura The Tank Girl

Elite: Dangerous - Anyone Out there?

So is Joels gonna be your explorer that almost never returns to the Bubble, and this is gonna be your "everything else" guy that stays in the Bubble?

1 minute ago, FlorbFnarb said:

So is Joels gonna be your explorer that almost never returns to the Bubble, and this is gonna be your "everything else" guy that stays in the Bubble?

Yep, something like that.

I want a more "roleplay" name for him as well. Sorta like what you chose for your guy.

What do you think you're gonna do?  I kinda wanted something that sounded like a pulp hero.  I started googling and found this thread on a forum somewhere on the interwebs and used that for inspiration.  I wanted something that sounded like it came out of an Asimov or Heinlein novel or something, except I wasn't gonna be so on the nose as naming him Ace, Rocky, Buck, Flash, anything directly stealing from an obvious pulp SF hero.

Hal I got from Hal Jordan, and Quartermain from Alan Quartermain.  I ended up satisfied.

I'm looking through my old D&D / Vampire characters to see if there's a name I like, but so far no bueno. I don't even think I know what I'm looking for, more like "I'll know it when I see it".

Flint Slayton?

Wulf Barnhardt?

Buzz Powers?

Lance Crockett?

Current setup on the FDL is an Overcharged huge beam with Thermal Vent, with the med slots filled out with multis.  Not sure how that's gonna do in terms of hammering enemies, but hopefully my PD will be able to keep up with the beam well enough.  It seemed to last night.

I am getting the feeling that it's unlikely anybody is gonna be as precise with a HOTAS as fixed weapons seem to require, especially stuff with a low RoF like plasmas and rails.

24 minutes ago, Never said:

Greetings from Beagle Point!

Beagle Point (20190323-143453) (Large).png

Took me almost an hour to reach the summit of a nearby mountain range. Worth it.

Beagle Point (20190323-154006) (Large).png

Noice.  Stuff like that makes me hope Bethesda makes ES6 considerably larger than Skyrim, just so that there's more places to explore.

However, the way they've been going lately, it makes me worried about the end product of ES6 anyway.

I made it to the end. The literal end. Ishum's Reach. Nothing beyond this point except the void. For the longest time I felt like I cheated my Elite rank in exploration by just doing Road to Riches around the Bubble. Now I think I can now say that I truly earned it.

I think I'm gonna stay here for a while, recharge, then start heading to Colonia.

Oevasy SG-Y d0 (20190323-164143) (Large).png

40 minutes ago, FlorbFnarb said:

Noice.  Stuff like that makes me hope Bethesda makes ES6 considerably larger than Skyrim, just so that there's more places to explore.

However, the way they've been going lately, it makes me worried about the end product of ES6 anyway.

Funnily enough, mountaineering in Skyrim was always one of my favorite pastimes. I just wish there was more tools in the SRV for ground use. I'd love to be able to measure height to "sea level" and be able to find the highest mountains and deepest craters, or have a temperature gauge and find the hottest or coldest spots in a planet. There's so much stuff that can be done with it, SRVing feels really bare-bones.

19 minutes ago, Never said:

I made it to the end. The literal end. Ishum's Reach. Nothing beyond this point except the void. For the longest time I felt like I cheated my Elite rank in exploration by just doing Road to Riches around the Bubble. Now I think I can now say that I truly earned it.

I think I'm gonna stay here for a while, recharge, then start heading to Colonia.

Oevasy SG-Y d0 (20190323-164143) (Large).png

Funnily enough, mountaineering in Skyrim was always one of my favorite pastimes. I just wish there was more tools in the SRV for ground use. I'd love to be able to measure height to "sea level" and be able to find the highest mountains and deepest craters, or have a temperature gauge and find the hottest or coldest spots in a planet. There's so much stuff that can be done with it, SRVing feels really bare-bones.

As it stands, I avoid time in the SRV as much as possible.  I'm due to make another trip to collect raw materials, but my current method is to find a geological site on a Metal-Rich Body, mine what I can, and trade for the stuff I don't easily find mining.

I haven't touched the game in about a month and a half, warships occupies my game time and a new job takes up most of the rest. I have pretty much every ship in the game mostly engineered and I can't be bothered to finish them, along with 700m in the bank. Game just got too tedious. I'd done just about everything, if something new and exciting that is combat based gets in I might play again. 

I am an idiot:

AbRzg1N.png

Gonna cancel it.  Not even Biotech Conductors are worth that trip.

It's the experience that counts (and the free Anaconda, of course).

I'm currently parked in Semotus Beacon with my main account. The alt is grinding massive amounts of materials to start unlocking engineers. Did some exploration on an Imperial Eagle to afford a Keelback, then went core mining for an hour until I had enough Void Opals to buy and A-rate an Asp Explorer and still have around 20 mil left over.

It's gonna be dull having to go through this all over again, but the payoff is gonna be worth it. Having two fully unlocked accounts to play with.

@FlorbFnarb it's gonna be easier to explain here.

I took one of those "Disable the megaship's turrets" missions to get some Modular Terminals. I went to the megaship but it was just a cargo ship that had been attacked by thargoids and had no turrets at all. Apparently these missions are confusing / bugged as hell. This is up to where I was sending you messages.

Then while I derped around it trying to locate anything that resembled a turret, I got a broadcast from the megaship saying they were detecting Thargoid activity. I turned around to see a massive witchspace hole, and then...

CW_Ursae_Majoris_(20190326-024740).png

CW_Ursae_Majoris_(20190326-024742).png

CW Ursae Majoris (20190326-024827).png

The mission doesn't actually involve combat, you just shoot a power plant and get out.

Also, I did a similar whoopsie to you. Desperately trying to find missions that give out modular terminals, I finally found a data courier mission that gave out 9. Since I had the mission board listed to only show me the commodity rewards, I didn't see the money reward, and didn't check the destination because, hell, it was just a data courier mission.

Yeaaaah... Abandoned.

Gliese_3371_(20190326-142911).png

lol

Also, there's a couple engineers out near the core - three, I think - and there's little to no chance I'm gonna be working toward unlocking them.

52 minutes ago, Never said:

The mission doesn't actually involve combat, you just shoot a power plant and get out.

Also, I did a similar whoopsie to you. Desperately trying to find missions that give out modular terminals, I finally found a data courier mission that gave out 9. Since I had the mission board listed to only show me the commodity rewards, I didn't see the money reward, and didn't check the destination because, hell, it was just a data courier mission.

Yeaaaah... Abandoned.

Gliese_3371_(20190326-142911).png

Don't they start shooting back at you?

Are you burning materials just to refuel your SRV on a trip around a small planet or something?

Also in other news, reddit continues to be reddit.

I think I've mentioned my rule of thumb regarding game forums: the closer a forum is to being an official forum, the more toxic it is and the more the moderation caters to thin skins and easily aggrieved people.  The r/Elitedangerous sub is the "officially unofficial" sub for Elite Dangerous, leading me to believe that it's probably created and run by somebody involved with the game itself, even though I *think* that is kinda sorta frowned upon.

So, I see a post on reddit earlier today:

I have 200 Mil money and i'm planning to buy a anaconda. I made my money with core mining and a very small bit with exploration. When i buy my future anaconda, do i just continue core mining, or is there a activity that is only really profitable with just the big three? What i'm asking is do i just let my future anaconda sit in the hangar and continue core mining with my python?

My response is sarcastic but hardly harsh, and pretty much validated by common "hurr durr I lost my ship because I had no moneys for teh rebuyz":

So your plans are:

• buy Anaconda

• fly it in near-stock condition with a paper shield, no armor, no engineering

• die, burning your single rebuy you have left after purchase and the few upgrades you can afford

• continue flying, this time with no rebuy

• die again

• get salty on reddit

Have I left anything out?

You need considerably more than 200 mil to buy and properly outfit an Anaconda plus several rebuys.

EDIT: Looks like I got the order wrong; the salt comes first.

The comment got deleted as "a personal attack".  I told them it wasn't a personal attack but rather a prediction based on past posts in the sub...and promptly got banned for three days for being "uncivil".

Conclusion: sarcasm is against the rules at r/Elitedangerous.  Mustn't ever say anything that a thin-skinned, fragile baddie wouldn't like.  If somebody is about to do something dumb, you must never, under any circumstances, say that it's dumb.

EDIT: Christ, they keep mentioning Wheaton's Law.  Everything I've seen about Wil Wheaton tells me he's a thin-skinned celebrity.