Fiaura The Tank Girl

Elite: Dangerous - Anyone Out there?

Looks like AWS might be majorly crapping out on some routes. Had connection issues, was kicked from the game, now the game won't even start. Getting errors from the launcher that the server is unavailable and the time can't sync, and according to Downdetector, there are a bunch of games having issues right now:

IXHI9PN.png

2 hours ago, Never said:

Looks like AWS might be majorly crapping out on some routes. Had connection issues, was kicked from the game, now the game won't even start. Getting errors from the launcher that the server is unavailable and the time can't sync, and according to Downdetector, there are a bunch of games having issues right now:

IXHI9PN.png

Well, it's 2019, so you're only allowed to blame one of four people for this:

1. Trump
  2. Putin
  3. George Soros
  4. Michael Jackson

Decided to take out some Thargoid scouts, and they're easier than I expected.  Despite allowing the novelty of the situation to distract me enough for them to take my shields out twice, even four on one they were easier than four Eagles flown by skilled NPC pilots would have been.

Once I get back to the bubble with Joels I need to start getting my combat rank back up again. Apparently scouts are a good way to achieve that.

Also, getting ranks in the Imperial Navy is ridiculously faster compared to the Federation. Took me 3 days of playing time to get to Rear Admiral on Joels. I'm at Marquis with Reyes and approaching Duke in a single session.

Yeesh.

I got a bunch of ranks with the Feds just from doing missions in Fed territory; all I had to do was the rank missions themselves.

I don't have a strong urge to get any Fed or Imperial ships, though.  Maybe one day.

The Corvette is incredibly fun to take to a Haz RES. You feel like a capital ship, soaking up shots and vaporizing anyone you feel like. Haven't gotten enough money yet for a decent Cutter, so haven't bothered to buy it yet.

Apart from a couple of engineers and a boatload of credits, my alt account is basically caught up with my main account. Just unlocked the Guardian FSD Booster.

28 minutes ago, Never said:

The Corvette is incredibly fun to take to a Haz RES. You feel like a capital ship, soaking up shots and vaporizing anyone you feel like. Haven't gotten enough money yet for a decent Cutter, so haven't bothered to buy it yet.

Apart from a couple of engineers and a boatload of credits, my alt account is basically caught up with my main account. Just unlocked the Guardian FSD Booster.

Lemme know any time you feel froggy, and we'll find a quiet spot, turn off "report crimes against me", and fight it out to 50% hull.  :awyeah:

On 3/22/2019 at 1:39 AM, Never said:

After much deliberation, meet CMDR Ryan Reyes, a freshly graduated pilot from the Empire.

Asellus Primus (20190322-013556).png

I really like the character customization in Elite. Makes me vaguely hopeful that we can get realistic procgen people at some point.

I just made my CMDR look like me and used my usual username so folks could find me. Not very RP but fuck it, either he wants to be like Prince or it's a callsign and his real name's a closely guarded secret. Whatever.

Well, I think it's time I make it official.

Florb's Iron Law of Internet Game Forums:

The closer a game forum is to being the official forum of the game publisher, the more toxic it will be.

Putting it in bold and italics makes it Internet Law.  This is a known known.  I'm on the last day of a three-day ban because I politely questioned their removal of a mildly sarcastic comment.  r/elite_dangerous is much better, much more hospitable.  Somebody actually started r/elitedangerous_ and made it a private sub, and they admitted to me in a private message that it was purely as a placeholder to keep anybody else from starting yet another ED general sub.

Toxic.

1 minute ago, Never said:

One of the reasons why I prefer to stay away from the main sub and just post in /r/EliteExplorers or /r/EliteMiners instead.

The specialty subs are good, but low-traffic, I find.

So I have horrible impulse control, so I bought a Cutter with only ~300m in the bank. Not nearly enough to outfit it properly. Buuuut, I decided to do trade runs with it since it doesn't require great outfitting and I can make some good cash with >700 tons of cargo space.

Marici_(20190330-011215).png

Just now, FlorbFnarb said:

You do have enough for the rebuy, right?

Oh yeah, I'm not that crazy. I can still rebuy it about 8 times over after doing some initial outfitting.

I honestly didn't think I'd ever pilot something that handles as bad as my Type-9 in normal space, but man does the Cutter have it beat with 8B thrusters without engineering. Handles like a cow with arthritis. A few more hours of trading should get me enough money to buy the 8A and then I'll get started with engineering it.

Also, a shower thought: You know what I think would be amazing as the endgame for all the Thargoid stuff? If, when the dust settled, all the powers were destroyed and the galaxy was left open for the taking by the players. In essence, make Powerplay a player-driven game mode.

Imagine squadrons being able to claim uncontrolled systems, build stations and expand the bubble. Population would become a resource, with players being able to pump in resources to attract colonists to their systems, which in turn would generate resources that players could use to create stations and expand further.

10 minutes ago, woe2you said:

It got better.

HPKVw0r.png

Not surprising.  At all.

9 minutes ago, Never said:

Also, a shower thought: You know what I think would be amazing as the endgame for all the Thargoid stuff? If, when the dust settled, all the powers were destroyed and the galaxy was left open for the taking by the players. In essence, make Powerplay a player-driven game mode.

Imagine squadrons being able to claim uncontrolled systems, build stations and expand the bubble. Population would become a resource, with players being able to pump in resources to attract colonists to their systems, which in turn would generate resources that players could use to create stations and expand further.

5 minutes ago, woe2you said:

Congratulations, you just put more thought into the longterm storyline than FDev have.

I'm hoping that next year's major update will include getting out of the ships, plus a heavy rework of smuggling and crime in general, but I do wonder if they're actually going anywhere with the Thargoid.

This kind of player-driven content is what made EVE such an enduring game. CCP can literally do nothing and the playerbase will still be able to entertain themselves.

People always say "Elite Dangerous is not EVE". But perhaps it should be, at least a little bit.

That would require FDev to realize that there's more to designing a multiplayer game than letting people play a game designed for single player alongside each other.

3 minutes ago, Never said:

This kind of player-driven content is what made EVE such an enduring game. CCP can literally do nothing and the playerbase will still be able to entertain themselves.

People always say "Elite Dangerous is not EVE". But perhaps it should be, at least a little bit.

1 minute ago, woe2you said:

That would require FDev to realize that there's more to designing a multiplayer game than letting people play a game designed for single player alongside each other.

Agreed.

Alright, it's been just over a week since Joels has been sitting in Semotus Beacon, taking in the view. Time to start heading back towards the galaxy. Only I'm not headed for Colonia! Not yet, at least. I'm instead going to be taking a grand tour of the northwestern quadrants of the galaxy, looking for unexplored systems and cool sights. Now that I have a fully operational alt account in the Bubble, there's zero rush to come back with Joels.

I set up a Twitter account to share my findings. Going to try to keep up the roleplay in there: