Fiaura The Tank Girl

Elite: Dangerous - Anyone Out there?

24 minutes ago, OOPMan said:

Oh, you can buy them now? Hmmmm, I'm pretty poor though, only have about 1.2m credits :-/

I assume you do not like hauling stuff over and over otherwise you can Sothis/Ceos your way to billionaire.

About Meta-alloys, it is one of the drops from barnacles (presumably only found within nebulae), but if you locate one barnacles that has Meta-alloys in it and the nature of "save load", you can farm unlimited barnacles until it decays through regular background sim updates.

Canonn, the community based science and research group has a spreadsheet of all the located barnacles status.
And whenever Meta-alloys are needed for CGs or neutralising UA bombed stations, they pick them from there, or buy it from Maia.

But the supply on Maia currently is very low, you might need to camp the market.
If you want to do it yourself, I don't know how long with it takes, still...

Look for an intact ones.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1bWITzZmYMYqwXqX5NHw02tyCGd7IFcfHpjYGeZL9GHQ/edit?pref=2&pli=1#gid=1627218729

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1bichQJBbL9ygW1xXc3GQhC5KT-o9u05ihWKXebt4BcM/edit?pre#gid=699546157

59 minutes ago, OOPMan said:

Yeah, Maia seems to be out of MAs.

What is Sothis/Ceos?

Sothis. Ceos. Two remote system best known for long range hauling / smuggling mission (400 Ly+).
500+ away from Maia. So it will take quite a lot of jumps, 15 - 25 out, 10 - 17 return.

Depends on your trade rank it provide missions with different amount of cargo.
Usually the lower cargo per mission the better CR/ton that mission provide.

For example a 8 ton mission gives 2.4 - 3.3 mil but 180 ton mission gives at most 12 mil.
120 / 180 tons are usually Tycoon / Elite mission so the board is actually more favourable to lower ranked players.
Some CMDR prefer to switch game mode for refreshing mission (tricks required or it may not work).
Usually it takes about ±90 min to take missions, out and return. Really depends on how many stops you have to make, sometimes RNGesus shows love and spawn 3 missions heading the same station.

You will need a ship with above avg jump range and cargo hold. Personally prefer ASP, Python, Conda and Cutter.
For better safety you should equip shield and learn how to avoid NPC interdictions.

If you are going for it I can show you the setups for the ship as references.

8 hours ago, OOPMan said:

Hmmmmmmmmmmm, I'll definitely take a look at that as a way to get the cash together to fully upgrade my Asp Explorer so I can head into uncharted space.

Upgrading an Asp to full exploration only takes... 51mil, just a random setup.

Choose between better fuel scoop or better AFU and hopefully you still remember how to dock after being outside for that long.

22 minutes ago, Unavailebow said:

Upgrading an Asp to full exploration only takes... 51mil, just a random setup.

Choose between better fuel scoop or better AFU and hopefully you still remember how to dock after being outside for that long.

Well, I still have a long way to go in upgrading mine. Just upgraded the FSD to 5A after finishing a bunch of long-range delivery missions that got my credits up to about 6m. I'm not building as a completely dedicated explorer though so I will probably still have weapons and some other stuff mounted which will decrease my jump-range a bit but oh well. 

I might try a few of those Sothis/Ceos runs you mentioned to get the rest of my ship up to scratch, then maybe go and get some MAs to unlock the enhanced FSD from Felicity or Elvira (Where do I find Soontill Relics?)

46 minutes ago, OOPMan said:

Well, I still have a long way to go in upgrading mine. Just upgraded the FSD to 5A after finishing a bunch of long-range delivery missions that got my credits up to about 6m. I'm not building as a completely dedicated explorer though so I will probably still have weapons and some other stuff mounted which will decrease my jump-range a bit but oh well. 

I might try a few of those Sothis/Ceos runs you mentioned to get the rest of my ship up to scratch, then maybe go and get some MAs to unlock the enhanced FSD from Felicity or Elvira (Where do I find Soontill Relics?)

http://inara.cz/
https://eddb.io/

Cheranovsky City, Ngurii
http://inara.cz/market/6983/15168

I will be into dedicated exploration later cuz I have ships ready for a retrofit,
just don't want to pay for the modules yet. Fuel scoops are one of the god damn overpriced modules.

If you want 15% off ships and modules price, look for Li-Rong Yui's system, you can use inara to help yourself out, searching ship / module on the Shipyard page and "discount only".
Currently my ships are in port of Harm and Arjung because Harm is the only system listed on inara that sells Cutter at 15% off, as well has being an area with multiple high tech and industrial systems, way easier to get outfitting done.

So....

I played the original Elite on a Commodore 64 and thought it was pretty cool back in the mid 80's.  Is this game in it's current development cycle a better choice than Star Citizen and No Man's Sky?  It's obviously more complete at this time than Star Citizen - but will the final product be as good or better in 2 years?

My son bought into Star Citizen, and he plays it for 2-3 days every couple of months when they release a new part of the program.  It looks great, but it seems like it will be quite a while before it is a complete game.  They want outrageous "real life" amounts of money for ships in that game, Elite is an all inclusive purchase I hope.

Comparing ED & SC with NMS is pointless. NMS is a completely different stuff.

SC wants IRL money for early access instead of EVE.
And it's not out yet of course it is incomplete.

I am not defending SC but ED is in a way that veterans do not like because it's too easy.
You are still going to pay for ED and Horizon, and later seasons. Roadmap planned each season last for 2 years and there should be 3 or more seasons yet to come, by the time ED has closer amount of features compare to SC SC should have grown a lot too, as well as you child.

So basically it's a choice of what are you going to "invest" on.

1 hour ago, BiggieD61 said:

So....

I played the original Elite on a Commodore 64 and thought it was pretty cool back in the mid 80's.  Is this game in it's current development cycle a better choice than Star Citizen and No Man's Sky?  It's obviously more complete at this time than Star Citizen - but will the final product be as good or better in 2 years?

My son bought into Star Citizen, and he plays it for 2-3 days every couple of months when they release a new part of the program.  It looks great, but it seems like it will be quite a while before it is a complete game.  They want outrageous "real life" amounts of money for ships in that game, Elite is an all inclusive purchase I hope.

Well, keep in mind that Frontier have a 10-year development plan for the game. We're currently in year 2 with the Horizons expansion and thus there's hopefully going to be another 8 years worth of content added to the game. As such, the game isn't "complete" but it's far more complete than either SC or NMS and this will probably only improve as time passes.

Compared to NMS, ED game is more of a game/simulation than a screenshot engine/walking simulator. I think there's definitely more to do in ED. At the very least, it actually feels like you're flying a ship in ED, whereas in NMS the flight mechanics are awful.

SC is basically a glorified tech demo in chunks and I remain unimpressed with it. Maybe it will turn out okay in the end, but I really don't think it will due to the development process the game is following. Cult of personality games almost never turn out well (See Peter Molyneux, Sean Murphy, John Romero, etc)

Whether or not you'll enjoy ED is hard to say. It's quite a slow-paced game and it takes while to make progress. I've played for nearly 80 hours and I only finally feel like I'm starting to find my feet, having purchased a genuinely good ship and deciding on some personal goals in-game. There's still a lot of time for me to put in before things really get going.

6 minutes ago, OOPMan said:

Well, keep in mind that Frontier have a 10-year development plan for the game. We're currently in year 2 with the Horizons expansion and thus there's hopefully going to be another 8 years worth of content added to the game. As such, the game isn't "complete" but it's far more complete than either SC or NMS and this will probably only improve as time passes.

Compared to NMS, ED game is more of a game/simulation than a screenshot engine/walking simulator. I think there's definitely more to do in ED. At the very least, it actually feels like you're flying a ship in ED, whereas in NMS the flight mechanics are awful.

SC is basically a glorified tech demo in chunks and I remain unimpressed with it. Maybe it will turn out okay in the end, but I really don't think it will due to the development process the game is following. Cult of personality games almost never turn out well (See Peter Molyneux, Sean Murphy, John Romero, etc)

Whether or not you'll enjoy ED is hard to say. It's quite a slow-paced game and it takes while to make progress. I've played for nearly 80 hours and I only finally feel like I'm starting to find my feet, having purchased a genuinely good ship and deciding on some personal goals in-game. There's still a lot of time for me to put in before things really get going.

Nope nope.

10 years plan was never out from the mouth of FD, this is just an assumption made the community based on interviews back in very early stage of the game. I have no idea how many hours I have spent on ED.

---------------------------------------------------------------

But one thing I have to point out and forum agrees me, ED is a utterly difficult and harsh game to new players.
Especially comparing now and early Gamma. Tutorials and guides are relied on community efforts, not implying FD wants you to die with no fuel, learn and explore the process but there are a large amount of mechanisms and knowledge behind the game or some are affecting the game from time to time. Some players are hating this so there goes the Mixed review on Steam. For example. They don't even know they can call Fuel Rats if they accidentally run out of fuel.

The game itself is heavily dependent on personal motivation, some of us may google our way out or just randomly driving in the inhabited space for ages still thinking their next steps.

I wasn't aware the 10-year thing was a player assumption but it's good to know. I was thinking of buying the lifetime pass when the next expansion releases.

Hehehe, I almost ran out of fuel getting to Sothis today. Diverted towards a populated system and found a star to scoop from on the way. Lucky lucky, since I was 2 jumps away from being stuck.

How do you call Fuel Rats?

I rather enjoy the fact that the game encourages research and out-of-game collaboration. In terms of difficulty, as an Elite newbie I'm finding the game okay. It's not needlessly difficult, just not everything is laid out in the open, which is fine by me. 

3 hours ago, OOPMan said:

I wasn't aware the 10-year thing was a player assumption but it's good to know. I was thinking of buying the lifetime pass when the next expansion releases.

Hehehe, I almost ran out of fuel getting to Sothis today. Diverted towards a populated system and found a star to scoop from on the way. Lucky lucky, since I was 2 jumps away from being stuck.

How do you call Fuel Rats?

I rather enjoy the fact that the game encourages research and out-of-game collaboration. In terms of difficulty, as an Elite newbie I'm finding the game okay. It's not needlessly difficult, just not everything is laid out in the open, which is fine by me. 

Lifetime expansion is really a cheap thing to do... Fark myself for missing to become a beta backer...

The 10 years thingy is based on their roadmap having multiple seasons and which last for 2 years.

When Horizon first came up the roadmap concept was shown on the official website but now I can't find it anymore
Planetary landings, multi-crew, atmospheric landing, avatar creating... that's all I can call out from my mind.

I think Sothis and Ceos are under UA bombing at the moment, may be no mission board show up.
But we are doing things to counter it.

For fuel rats, you just google fuel rats to their webpage and call them out, they are a bunch of guys highly respected by the community, they are now trying setup stations in Jacque area (22k Ly from bubble) , which should be the first community faction that's dare to do that.

I am really looking forward to landings on planets with atmospheres as the current landings are extremely impressive. The terrain and so forth are very nice.

2.2 will come mid-October

• Passenger mission
  • Beluga Liner
  • Ship launched fighter

• Ship transfer
  • Module storage
  • Module transfer
  • Rework white dwarf & neutron star
    • FSD overcharge
  • New station interior
  • CQC architecture introduce to main game

There goes my memory... might have miss some.:fish:

5 minutes ago, Unavailebow said:

2.2 will come mid-October

• Passenger mission
  • Beluga Liner
  • Ship launched fighter

• Ship transfer
  • Module storage
  • Module transfer
  • Rework white dwarf & neutron star
    • FSD overcharge
  • New station interior
  • CQC architecture introduce to main game

There goes my memory... might have miss some.:fish:

Ship transfer?

What are they doing to white dwarf and neutron stars?

CQC architecture?

9 minutes ago, OOPMan said:

Ship transfer?

What are they doing to white dwarf and neutron stars?

CQC architecture?

Able to transfer ship to your location by paying credits, costs are calculated by ship cost and distance.

They are changing the graphics of D stars (white dwarf) and neutron stars,
also introducing a new mechanism based on the nature of D and neutron stars emitting ultra high energy from their fumes. The energy can overcharge a FSD and perform a long range jump. Of course getting that close will dmg the FSD so it definitely is going to become a kind of skill.

CQC Architecture,
there are some architecture unique to CQC where they have tunnels and other designs.
Introducing these into the main game providing more game experience while playing with friends, if I have one.

2 hours ago, Unavailebow said:

@OOPMan

I think Sothis's Newholm station is working for now,

Ceo's New Dawn still down tho.

You can have a look if you are looking for credits.

Did two missions from Newholm in one run last night for 2.8m :-)

1 hour ago, OOPMan said:

Did two missions from Newholm in one run last night for 2.8m :-)

You will soon be surprised by those cmdrs "wow how you billion"
And tell'em "Yep, Beluga is coming and there goes 1 more b" :serb:

Not joking, kit out a Cutter for decent combat w/o bulkheads takes 560m with 17.125% off, bulkheads alone cost 1.5m - 4m

And they say Beluga is so big that it will retract it's fins while entering the mailslot, having Class 7 FSD and speed on a hauler. My speculation goes on that having Class 8 thrusters as well, which cost 134m :eww: 

10 hours ago, OOPMan said:

Aich. All this game now needs is bankers that provide loans and it will be like RL :-)

did I say 1.5m ... must have sth gone into my mind.

No I am correcting myself,

150m - 400m :fat:

Thats why some people want Newholm and New Dawn shutdown so badly.

Now they introduce ship transfer to your location. Cost based on total ship cost and distance... percentage calculation:happyfish:

Picked up the Adder after finally figuring out how to find mission critical black boxes and what not. Got some upgrades on it and it seems pretty decent so far. Whats the name of the big hauler that can carry a fighter? I wanna get one of those too

My long term goal is to get an Anaconda. It's going to be a while though. I rather like the Asp Explorer and think I may spend the time getting it fully loaded before moving on to getting the Anaconda.

I'd also like to get a Federal Corvette or Imperial Cutter, time permitting :-)