Fiaura The Tank Girl

Elite: Dangerous - Anyone Out there?

I updated my older guide to outfitting a deep core miner, put it in a Google doc this time around.  Opinions?

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1n7oUX9BGiG6JgCuu7YxJzUwNOQUANdnU8qIaMOCELUc/edit?usp=sharing

“Raxxler.”  The Brits may be wasteful of their U’s, shoehorning them into words that don’t need them, like honor and flavor, and also cram an extra I into a perfectly good word like aluminum, adding an unnecessary syllable, but their habit of adding an R sound to words, giving us “Raxxler” and “idear” and so forth, is a charming idiosyncrasy, which by sheer coincidence also happens to be a characteristic of the accent of my own part of America.

:awyeah:

Born in a form colonial city with her own dying accent I absolutely admire how the Brits speak and their choice of words, especially seeing how locals no longer speak proper English and the situation worsen by generation. To me there is nothing wrong with different pronunciation and spelling, language reveals individuals' culture and background. It sounds ironic when some say UK English is weird without realising they can't speak anything than a form (or accent) of English. Regardless of how people loves their country or origin or any space they feel belonging to, language is only weird to those who lack a sense of cultural value. Nowadays I see government documents written in US English (probably because it is default in their Microsoft Word) which made the city looks even closer to a mongrel. Anyway, incorrect dishes.

I have to watch the video until the Konami code went up to realise that is a fools video, Ant's typical documentary voice hidden that up completely. As for Raxxla, it is a very old myth but at some point people took it serious like any other mysteries, I wonder how FD will the myth out this time as it had taken years to debunk Formidine and reveal The Club.

I agree.  I always hate how regional accents get looked down on as "uneducated" sounding, to be honest.  As long as you're speaking intelligibly and your accent doesn't make you too hard to understand, I think regional accents are great.  I'd love to hear more Southern accents, Brooklynese, and New England accents on television.  The news is the worst; they simply won't accept you speaking with anything but the American version of the British "received pronunciation", which for us is a flat Midwestern accent.

Also, I immediately assumed it was an April Fool's video.  Yamiks made one too.

12 hours ago, FlorbFnarb said:

I updated my older guide to outfitting a deep core miner, put it in a Google doc this time around.  Opinions?

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1n7oUX9BGiG6JgCuu7YxJzUwNOQUANdnU8qIaMOCELUc/edit?usp=sharing

Looks good! I'd just add that an A-rated prospector limpet controller is an absolute must.

3 hours ago, Never said:

Looks good! I'd just add that an A-rated prospector limpet controller is an absolute must.

What appeals to you about it?  I generally have tried to use the best one that only controls one at a time, on the grounds that any more is a waste.

Also, the D-rated and E-rated versions purposely accept lesser components in an effort to achieve the cheapest price, especially the E-rated models.

38 minutes ago, FlorbFnarb said:

What appeals to you about it?  I generally have tried to use the best one that only controls one at a time, on the grounds that any more is a waste.

Also, the D-rated and E-rated versions purposely accept lesser components in an effort to achieve the cheapest price, especially the E-rated models.

The rate of the prospector limpet controller affects how many fragments you can get out of the asteroid, with A rate having the best multiplier. It's even Rule 1 and the first item on the mining checklist on the /r/EliteMiners sidebar :P

2 hours ago, Never said:

The rate of the prospector limpet controller affects how many fragments you can get out of the asteroid, with A rate having the best multiplier. It's even Rule 1 and the first item on the mining checklist on the /r/EliteMiners sidebar :P

Good to know!

Hooooly shit I just found the most amazing system.

Two Wolf-Rayet stars, one O-class, one megachonker of a B-class and one Herbig Ae/Be.

I feel like I just hit the stellar forge lottery.

wrsystem.png

You stick to high-grading the scans, right?  Pretty much just scanning ELWs, WWs, and anything terraformable?

2 hours ago, FlorbFnarb said:

You stick to high-grading the scans, right?  Pretty much just scanning ELWs, WWs, and anything terraformable?

Yup. I keep the EDSM dashboard open on another monitor. It shows any body in a system that is worth over 800k credits when scanned and mapped. Personally I only go for the ones worth 1.6m or more and closer than ~3000 ls.

1 minute ago, Never said:

Yup. I keep the EDSM dashboard open on another monitor. It shows any body in a system that is worth over 800k credits when scanned and mapped. Personally I only go for the ones worth 1.6m or more and closer than ~3000 ls.

Yeah, I do about the same.  Over 1 mil is worth my time, other stuff usually not.

15 hours ago, Never said:

Basically by this point my ship is held together by duct tape and positive thoughts.

Colonia (20190404-235334).png

No repair limpets?

15 hours ago, Never said:

Basically by this point my ship is held together by duct tape and positive thoughts.

Colonia (20190404-235334).png

You not gonna name the corvette?

Hull was at 99%, it's the ship integrity that was toast. Ship integrity basically determines if the hull you have left acts like metal or toilet paper. No way to repair that without a station.

Not sure when I'll be back at the Bubble, but if I do I'll definitely name it.

Right now I'm having a bit of an identity crisis on Elite. There is so much stuff that I wanted it to have that I know will simply never happen because it's not the kind of game that Frontier wants to make. Namely, making it an actual MMO, with a player-based economy, a guild (squadron) system that actually matters.

I'm sort of dipping my toes in EVE, but the learning curve makes Elite look like minesweeper, and there's simply no game out there that can beat Elite's immersion and first-person ship control.

I think Elite will make some serious expansions in 2020, but there's no way to know what those are.  I'm personally hoping a first person element, plus landing on planets with atmospheres.

No Man's Sky had a really weak opening, to the point where there were accusations of it being an outright scam, but it's apparently made some huge leaps in the past year or so.  I'd like to see Elite do the same.

Yeah, here's hoping. We need Frontier to add depth to the things already in the game.

To be honest, I don't think it's me that's having an identity crisis, it's Elite itself. It's a space simulator that wants to be at the same time single player and multiplayer, but doesn't want to add MMO elements that lets players have meaningful interactions, like trading. Add to that the fact that most of the player base seem to be made up of people who are terrified of player interaction and react with hostility to any implication that Elite could learn a thing or two from EVE and I don't see how it's ever going to be what I'd love for it to be.

I know exactly why I get so frustrated. If you ever played D&D or any kind of tabletop RPG, it's easy to express. I get frustrated because playing Elite is like playing D&D in a huge world, but the Dungeon Master is extremely railroady, every city and NPC is essentially the same, he allows zero player agency, and only his NPCs have any influence in the world. And he sucks at storytelling.

I can see that.  They certainly don't have any functioning market; prices are what they are, and I'm not sure players have any way to affect them in that sense.  Money is so easy to come by that it's ceased to be a currency that people really worry about; the real currency that people scramble for is materials, and those can't be traded between players in any way.

I do wish player factions mattered in some way, but I'm not sure they're willing to allow the world to be completely defined by player actions, the way I hear Eve seems to be.

The world doesn't need to be entirely driven by the players, but they could at least give us something to care for. There are 400 billion systems in the Universe, it shouldn't be that inconceivable to allow us to call one of them our own and be able to grow it into a functioning economy.

They're way too attached to the vision that players should be lone wolf mercenaries, and it's hurting their game. Players naturally like to create groups and alliances with like-minded people, as evidenced by groups like Canonn, SDC, Fuel Rats and many, many others. But right now there is no gameplay for groups. Fleet carriers are a good first step, but it could be so much more.

25 minutes ago, Never said:

The world doesn't need to be entirely driven by the players, but they could at least give us something to care for. There are 400 billion systems in the Universe, it shouldn't be that inconceivable to allow us to call one of them our own and be able to grow it into a functioning economy.

Might as well be much fewer, with the way honking the same systems over and over pays compared to actually discovering stuff for the first time.