Fiaura The Tank Girl

Elite: Dangerous - Anyone Out there?

8 hours ago, FlorbFnarb said:

No game like this should ever be designed so that people can eliminate risk.  It’s an inherent part of the game.

If risk and reward were calibrated in real life, we wouldn’t have any criminals at all.

Risk and reward were calibrated, not eliminated. There are still NPC pirate out ther posing a risk and as a criminal role, you can play a criminal role and harass NPCs, nothing stop that. If you ever find a stable incoming through crime than a mass-trade route, why don't most people went on being criminals instead. What is the point of building a game so players can offer a chance to delibrately harass other players no matter where they are? Build a ship with 20 less jump range solely to protect engagement that may not even happen and have to spend double the time travelling between spots, never, because it is not practical nor efficient, act upon fear in gaming, people will just not play the game instead.

Risk is inherent part of the game, more sources of risk than just combat, you can get your ship destroyed in more ways than one. Exploration still poses the highest risk.

What would happen if the game started out full multiplayer would be, desired progression ruined, gameplay experience ruined because few selfish bunch never understands what a "game" is for. Would you still pay $100 for a game you cannot even garauntee enjoy in the slightest? You would, I don't. If you were saying Elite Dangerous should be designed like any other typical competivie MMORPG out there, I am afraid you are look at EVE. Turning the game into multiplayer is just bumping Combat up to the roof and killing all other aspect of the game, opening all sort of negative player experiences. NPC flying Cows hav two Condas right next to them if not a complete convoy, players don't. You can get away from Exploration Trading Mining Scavenging completely but none of the roles can get rid of Combat 100% in multiplayer, surely that fixed piracy, in the end it just flipped the diagram and everybody would start complaining none of the other roles were feasible, only it is feasible we start talking about profitable. That ultimate will kill the game sooner than it is now, how were they able to add new ships if they were irrelevant for slightest of combat? How are atmosperic landing and space leg still valuable as updates? Everything has to tied to Combat resulted less equity to talk with. Players doing Combat located top of the food chain and everybody else had to suffer.

Elite is not a combat driven game if it was it won't be named under Elite, main selling of Elite remains the Milky Way, not the bubble.

We don't get rid of criminals but how many percent of the people are criminals? Shall we build a game to represent that percentage of people and their ideals? There are game contents out there to be played, adding too much player intervene kills it.

On 9/21/2019 at 4:16 PM, Unavailebow said:

Frontier did not make a mistake including Solo and Private Group in a multiplayer game, when were Elites even multiplayer? The gameplay was certainly not made fundamentally designed for multiplayer-only, look at the latency and synchronsation, if it ever was it would have had multiple servers isolating players into regional groups, resulting players like me, impossible to play the game.

This is the first multiplayer Elite. FDev decided to make the game multiplayer without ever thinking through the ramifications, learning from existing MMOs or any of the other things you'd think would be pretty high on their list. Then they allowed anyone to create a Private Group large enough to rival Open, which kills Open. Then they allowed people to hide in Solo and affect other players by doing CGs and Powerplay. The whole thing is a total clusterfuck.

6 minutes ago, woe2you said:

This is the first multiplayer Elite. FDev decided to make the game multiplayer without ever thinking through the ramifications, learning from existing MMOs or any of the other things you'd think would be pretty high on their list. Then they allowed anyone to create a Private Group large enough to rival Open, which kills Open. Then they allowed people to hide in Solo and affect other players by doing CGs and Powerplay. The whole thing is a total clusterfuck.

I recall both CG and PP open-only complaints, having a shared BGS CG CZ is certainly weird, plus FD definitely cheated on some important CGs. Yet I sincerely doubt would be better started out fully multiplayer, it had a very rough start for a game as big as this, a lot of those are down to poor new player experiences, just started the game getting destroyed in Open for no particular reason, that sort of thing. A lot of things were way less structured than it is now. The game has bad player to player competitive environment, not sure how much they weigh that as part of the game, at this stage probably not much, low popularity of CQC wouldn't help making numbers even. They have definitely gone down the route of "You can't stop other people from doing their thing."

It could be argued, if the galaxy has sectors to protect players through their progression, like some other MMOs you have no-kill-zone, multiplayer-only may work. Let see how will spacelegs turn out to be.

On 9/26/2019 at 1:58 PM, Unavailebow said:

I recall both CG and PP open-only complaints, having a shared BGS CG CZ is certainly weird, plus FD definitely cheated on some important CGs. Yet I sincerely doubt would be better started out fully multiplayer, it had a very rough start for a game as big as this, a lot of those are down to poor new player experiences, just started the game getting destroyed in Open for no particular reason, that sort of thing. A lot of things were way less structured than it is now. The game has bad player to player competitive environment, not sure how much they weigh that as part of the game, at this stage probably not much, low popularity of CQC wouldn't help making numbers even. They have definitely gone down the route of "You can't stop other people from doing their thing."

It could be argued, if the galaxy has sectors to protect players through their progression, like some other MMOs you have no-kill-zone, multiplayer-only may work. 

They already have some starter zones.  You can come and go as you please until you rank up in combat, trade, or exploration.  Then if you leave you can't come back.

Most of the people complaining about the risk from gankers tend to adamantly refuse to engineer their ships, even though getting the materials necessary to do the G3-level engineering it takes to survive long enough to high wake isn't that tough.  By the time some guy has an AspX, he ought to have put some top-tier thrusters, A-rated shield, and A-rated PD on the thing, engineering them all to G3, so that he can survive getting jumped.

Let see how will spacelegs turn out to be.

At this point I'm not at all sure we're gonna see either spacelegs or landing on planets with atmospheres.  Those are serious expansions to the game, and so far all they've actually said is coming are carriers - which is not that huge a thing in terms of the effort it takes them to develop.

On 9/26/2019 at 1:30 PM, woe2you said:

It is.  My dream for the game:

1. Eliminate Open and Private Group altogether.
  2. Flesh the game out into a full-blown space RPG by creating a serious "space legs" component, meaning a full-fledged FPS/TPS capability, suited both for combat and for normal friendly interaction with NPCs and players.
  3. Beef up security forces to prevent players being unstoppable gods of death, for whom NPCs pose little to no threat.  Ganking should be possible but just parking a ship in a system or over a popular engineer or whatever and basically blockading it should require a serious effort by a group of players of significant size - and eventually even then the higher-level powers should end up getting involved.
  4. Create a real player economy, including the ability to sell used ships, modules, materials, and commodities - at whatever price the players agree upon.  Yes, there will be people who turn this into a way to sell them for real-world money.  No, I don't care, and neither should Frontier.  What people do outside the game's confines is up to them, and even if it's damned stupid, they shouldn't interfere.
  5. Add in landings on planets with atmospheres, complete with procedurally generated terrain, flora, and fauna.
  6. Add some hand-crafted life-bearing planets, especially ones in the Bubble.
  7. Create a more fleshed-out mission system.
  8. Make the rep system more realistic; stop the nonsense of factions having such limited memories.  You shouldn't be able to prey upon some pirate faction for a few months until they despise you, then say "I think I wanna be a pirate" and just spend a couple days running missions for them until they love you.  People have memories; at some point they'd be out for your blood.
  9. On a similar note, not all bounties should be something you can pay off at an interstellar factor.  If you prey on the aforementioned pirate faction for months, they should be looking to atomize you, and you should have to deal with that.
  10. Make smuggling not suck horribly.  This means being able to fake your identity to evade the law just automatically docking you a kajillion credits for having contraband in your hold.  How about instead of having NPCs (both pirates and the law) be able to scan your hold in supercruise, while players have to pull a ship into normal space, maybe have them just randomly interdict people for random inspection?  Maybe have inspectors on foot at some stations, and you have to either bribe them, have contraband in special, hidden cargo holds, which hold less cargo than a regular hold of the same class - or else just hope they miss your contraband?
  11. Also, prices of contraband need to be affected by the law.  Stolen goods should be cheaper than the legit stuff - otherwise, why buy stolen? - but should be worth more than the profit in buying low and selling high - otherwise, why bother stealing?  In the case of banned goods, those should be worth a much higher price than where they are legal - prohibition imposes costs and drives prices up.   Smuggling should be lucrative, especially smuggling into high security systems.  It should pay considerably more than legit trading, otherwise, again, why would anybody bother with it?
  12. Create a way for players to set bounties on each other.
  13. Tentatively consider raising the rebuy cost from 5% to 10%, just for the sake of raising the stakes.
  14. Start hammering people hard for combat logging and hacks.
  15. Switch to a server-based architecture to make most hacks impossible.  If necessary, have servers in North America and Europe.
  16. Mouse and keyboard currently stands as a huge advantage in PvP.  Consider adding a bit more jitter to long-range weapons (not much, just a bit) to reduce the ability to simply snipe with a mouse at long range.  Having a HOTAS be more realistic but a disadvantage bugs me.
  17. Consider radically expanding the list of commands, so that more things can be accessed with a single keypress or button push rather than via a menu; I had to effectively create my own macro to request a landing in Voice Attack.
  18. Improve the SRV game.  Multiple SRVs, and more interesting stuff to do on the ground.
  19. Let people put their goddamn ship name and ID number on their ship for free  if they want.

I'll probably think of more later.

Is that Star Citizen?:trollface:

Point 16 is probably not hardware inherited issue, have you ever seen a space stick? flightstick with throttle only control 5 axis whereas in space you need six.

And btw.

On 9/28/2019 at 11:22 PM, FlorbFnarb said:

They already have some starter zones.  You can come and go as you please until you rank up in combat, trade, or exploration.  Then if you leave you can't come back.

Most of the people complaining about the risk from gankers tend to adamantly refuse to engineer their ships, even though getting the materials necessary to do the G3-level engineering it takes to survive long enough to high wake isn't that tough.  By the time some guy has an AspX, he ought to have put some top-tier thrusters, A-rated shield, and A-rated PD on the thing, engineering them all to G3, so that he can survive getting jumped.

At this point I'm not at all sure we're gonna see either spacelegs or landing on planets with atmospheres.  Those are serious expansions to the game, and so far all they've actually said is coming are carriers - which is not that huge a thing in terms of the effort it takes them to develop.

Only if starter zone made out of 10% of the Milky Way. Having a starter zone simply would not be enough to normalise progress differences, hence those MMOrpgs has level zones because otherwise you have level 2 player out of the starter zone facing level nine hundred million.

Do you still remember Engineers and Horizon is DLC worth price of the base game? The difference from engineering received so many complains on it being forcing player to purchase Horizon.

You should go check the incorrect metadata news. Everything on the roadmap will come as a business promise and so far Frontier has been following it, except the ETA

22 hours ago, Unavailebow said:

Is that Star Citizen?:trollface:

Point 16 is probably not hardware inherited issue, have you ever seen a space stick? flightstick with throttle only control 5 axis whereas in space you need six.

And btw.

Only if starter zone made out of 10% of the Milky Way. Having a starter zone simply would not be enough to normalise progress differences, hence those MMOrpgs has level zones because otherwise you have level 2 player out of the starter zone facing level nine hundred million.

Do you still remember Engineers and Horizon is DLC worth price of the base game? The difference from engineering received so many complains on it being forcing player to purchase Horizon.

You should go check the incorrect metadata news. Everything on the roadmap will come as a business promise and so far Frontier has been following it, except the ETA

I actually do wonder if once SC comes along, if it's gonna simply drink ED's milkshake.

As for differences in progress, I don't see it as a good idea that Frontier implement some mechanism to segregate everybody by progress.  This isn't WoT; you aren't playing matches where we need tanks of equal tier distribution.  It's an open world, and it should be open; people should be prepared to run into bigger ships.

Regarding joysticks, I have six axes of control due to roll knobs on the throttle controlling vertical and lateral translation.  The problem is one of precision; mouse and keyboard allows people to be ridiculously more precise than joystick, allowing ship builds where you snipe with rails from a few km out.  The lack of gees affecting the real-world player (obviously) allows the use of a control scheme that wouldn't work in the real world, forcing the player to choose between realism and immersion, versus accuracy in combat.

Also yeah, I saw something of the open letter, although I haven't watched Yamiks' video yet.

4 hours ago, FlorbFnarb said:

I actually do wonder if once SC comes along, if it's gonna simply drink ED's milkshake.

As for differences in progress, I don't see it as a good idea that Frontier implement some mechanism to segregate everybody by progress.  This isn't WoT; you aren't playing matches where we need tanks of equal tier distribution.  It's an open world, and it should be open; people should be prepared to run into bigger ships.

Regarding joysticks, I have six axes of control due to roll knobs on the throttle controlling vertical and lateral translation.  The problem is one of precision; mouse and keyboard allows people to be ridiculously more precise than joystick, allowing ship builds where you snipe with rails from a few km out.  The lack of gees affecting the real-world player (obviously) allows the use of a control scheme that wouldn't work in the real world, forcing the player to choose between realism and immersion, versus accuracy in combat.

Also yeah, I saw something of the open letter, although I haven't watched Yamiks' video yet.

There is a limit to how much you can prepare based on game progress, soft cap rather. Sectoring is hard cap. Differences in ship bahaviour gave similar result of a "tier" or "categorisation" soft capped by progression, it makes no sense comparing an Eagle with a Conda. Introducing new players to face fully geared Condas? Inequity of chance, big nono. Hard capping sectors meant that you only start facing relative opponents when you have closer to the group, or at least offered chances to. Normal distribution should apply to global player progression (in any relevant metric, or more), and outliers on both ends should be taken away. Any late-progression player should suffer penalty going back to players remain progressing, or apply normalisation.

Then it comes to trouble of how you define progression in Elite, I have friends hundreds of hours in still haven't made their first billion. The game nature does not flavour having a cut on this and that even with numbers, they just don't correlate with each other. Ignoring all those criteria and put it all together creates unforeseeable consequences, and majority of the investors would not risk that. It is just practicality side of things.

btw. Knob should only be counted as an axle if it is has level simulating analog input, i.e. weight detection. At this point I don't really want a realistic space control, it is just buttons and fly-by-wire stuff.:eww:

Also, RSI released a new ship called Origin 980 Jump luxury yacht and it cost:

:megadoge:

$1130
which you can by 18 Elite+Horizon for all your neighbours.

23 minutes ago, Unavailebow said:

There is a limit to how much you can prepare based on game progress, soft cap rather. Sectoring is hard cap. Differences in ship bahaviour gave similar result of a "tier" or "categorisation" soft capped by progression, it makes no sense comparing an Eagle with a Conda. Introducing new players to face fully geared Condas? Inequity of chance, big nono. Hard capping sectors meant that you only start facing relative opponents when you have closer to the group, or at least offered chances to. Normal distribution should apply to global player progression (in any relevant metric, or more), and outliers on both ends should be taken away. Any late-progression player should suffer penalty going back to players remain progressing, or apply normalisation.

Then it comes to trouble of how you define progression in Elite, I have friends hundreds of hours in still haven't made their first billion. The game nature does not flavour having a cut on this and that even with numbers, they just don't correlate with each other. Ignoring all those criteria and put it all together creates unforeseeable consequences, and majority of the investors would not risk that. It is just practicality side of things.

All of that runs directly counter to having an open world.

8 hours ago, FlorbFnarb said:

All of that runs directly counter to having an open world.

Sectoring does not stop game from being open world, you still have access to every single part of the Milky Way.

Also, are there any precedents? Forced multiplayer and PvP?

9 hours ago, Unavailebow said:

Sectoring does not stop game from being open world, you still have access to every single part of the Milky Way.

Also, are there any precedents? Forced multiplayer and PvP?

The precedents would be every other multiplayer open world game.  Open world games are either multiplayer or not multiplayer.  Before ED I had literally never heard of an open world game where you could opt of multiplayer.

No bibliography :doge:

Also I have to make a point on official frontier forum is not as toxic as described, certainly no lack of cool-headed long term players.

6 hours ago, Unavailebow said:

No bibliography :doge:

Yeah, it's pretty long.  Honestly I find myself looking back on the development of WoT over the years, and I have to say they've shown a determination to keep the game running for the long term.  I know they'd get people claiming all WG was doing was adding new nations now and then, but I think it's been far more substantive than that.  Graphical improvements, serious gameplay improvements, a willingness to add new maps and remove others.  They certainly didn't always make the right choices, but neither did they ever seem like they had a skeleton development staff kept around just to rearrange the chairs on deck to make it look like the game was still a going concern.  Real changes got made over time.  When I go back now I sometimes find new crew-related mechanics that I have no idea what they do at all.

Also I have to make a point on official frontier forum is not as toxic as described, certainly no lack of cool-headed long term players.

As for forums, it's usually the moderation that I find toxic.  WG's official WoT forums eventually settled on a policy of coddling people who hated the game but hammering anybody who told them they were terribad.  It's why this place became so necessary.

I haven't poked around on the official Frontier forums myself.  I tend to just go to Reddit first, although r/EliteDangerous has a close enough relationship with Frontier that the running joke is not much is allowed there anymore except pictures of Asps In Front of Things.  r/Elite_Dangerous has a much more open moderation staff that treats people by big boy rules.  There are unfortunately a couple people who hang around and blast the game even though they no longer play it, but that's an easy enough price to pay to avoid heavy-handed and biased moderation.

14 minutes ago, FlorbFnarb said:

Yeah, it's pretty long.  Honestly I find myself looking back on the development of WoT over the years, and I have to say they've shown a determination to keep the game running for the long term.  I know they'd get people claiming all WG was doing was adding new nations now and then, but I think it's been far more substantive than that.  Graphical improvements, serious gameplay improvements, a willingness to add new maps and remove others.  They certainly didn't always make the right choices, but neither did they ever seem like they had a skeleton development staff kept around just to rearrange the chairs on deck to make it look like the game was still a going concern.  Real changes got made over time.  When I go back now I sometimes find new crew-related mechanics that I have no idea what they do at all.

It is a different animal, not even from the same kingdom. Running business with statistics and number has never fail obviously from the host side of view (remember they all have an expectancy), player opinions can be strong then it all comes down to metrics to define how "strong" it is actually reflecting. How did WoT survived this long I have no idea nor my expertise to research onto, usually replacing / powercreeping existing content is generally the PvE ways to sustain. I still remember SerB commented view range nerf unnecessary predicted it would start a cycle of overpowered classes.

I refrain myself saying those businesses made the wrong choice, who the potato I am to comment on a company's decision? Even Robert Space Industries work, what logic do I need to be pleased? Elite has a lot of issues, in my mind isolated, clustered issues which has almost no effect what so ever to other clusters. By far Elite has an easy to please community base (perks of PvE) so game content has way more focus than balancing or sort, I guess bottom line everybody are offered the chance to shares the same experience (again, perks of PvE).

Simply put it is not simple, at all. You can go look at Warframe and see how DE delibrately pushing old players (late game players) away by nerfing items because early players that do not own them were salty about it, even they can eventually reach the same stage and own those items. My tendancy to put Japanese PvE games into comparison as they know how to keep the player base going by adding contents behind the progression then smoothen it for new players, downside, a lot stress was put on developers and designers. They don't necessarily nerf things, who would benefit from a nerf rather than those who do not possess it? PvP demand balancing which works against the idea of keeping everybody happy. Nobody has fun losing anything, it is a game afterall, fun is all that for.

39 minutes ago, FlorbFnarb said:

As for forums, it's usually the moderation that I find toxic.  WG's official WoT forums eventually settled on a policy of coddling people who hated the game but hammering anybody who told them they were terribad.  It's why this place became so necessary.

I haven't poked around on the official Frontier forums myself.  I tend to just go to Reddit first, although r/EliteDangerous has a close enough relationship with Frontier that the running joke is not much is allowed there anymore except pictures of Asps In Front of Things.  r/Elite_Dangerous has a much more open moderation staff that treats people by big boy rules.  There are unfortunately a couple people who hang around and blast the game even though they no longer play it, but that's an easy enough price to pay to avoid heavy-handed and biased moderation.

I stuck with official forum since the start of my playthrough, we often get hot-headed ones not too severe, Elite was never a game made for new players and players with no numbers in mind. Yet the number of absolute causal players are astoundingly high flying in their Solo Cobras and we got those in official forum. And of course, dem Brits always find a way to joke on anybody raging.

Not to get overly political at the moment, but for now I'm renaming any ship I'm flying to Liberate Hong Kong, ID number NO CCP.

Apparently Tencent owns like 5% of Frontier, and I'm curious to see if Frontier has learned anything from the problems Blizzard and the NBA are having right now.  Last I checked, r/Blizzard was abuzz with fans angry as hell and making memes ridiculing Blizzard and supporting Hong Kong and that e-sports competitor Blizzard banned from competing for a year.

Ohhhhhhhhh man.  Just got an Oculus Rift S and set it up.  The whole thing is pretty cool, but *man* Elite Dangerous is a whole new game with VR.

Gonna have to download and set up Skyrim VR today and see how that does.

On 10/14/2019 at 3:56 AM, FlorbFnarb said:

Not to get overly political at the moment, but for now I'm renaming any ship I'm flying to Liberate Hong Kong, ID number NO CCP.

Apparently Tencent owns like 5% of Frontier, and I'm curious to see if Frontier has learned anything from the problems Blizzard and the NBA are having right now.  Last I checked, r/Blizzard was abuzz with fans angry as hell and making memes ridiculing Blizzard and supporting Hong Kong and that e-sports competitor Blizzard banned from competing for a year.

Shame I didnt see this poast earlier, being one of the most qualified here to speak of the issues.

Well 3 months later we are now having fun with 2019 nCoV so yeah. Tencents owns a lot of things, 5% of Frontier means nothing compare to it basically owns Epic. Also Blizzard being Blizzard is enjoying it decline with the rise of Indie.

On 12/29/2019 at 9:49 AM, FlorbFnarb said:

Any of you cats take advantage of the recent Fed rank boost and discounts?

No ship behind Corvette so I am all good sitting at my Rear Admiral

On 1/27/2020 at 5:02 AM, FlorbFnarb said:

Ohhhhhhhhh man.  Just got an Oculus Rift S and set it up.  The whole thing is pretty cool, but *man* Elite Dangerous is a whole new game with VR.

Gonna have to download and set up Skyrim VR today and see how that does.

Would like to have VR and a X56, not that I have the time nor the energy to spend on those things while we are hitting by a SARS branch virus

7 hours ago, Unavailebow said:

Shame I didnt see this poast earlier, being one of the most qualified here to speak of the issues.

Well 3 months later we are now having fun with 2019 nCoV so yeah. Tencents owns a lot of things, 5% of Frontier means nothing compare to it basically owns Epic. Also Blizzard being Blizzard is enjoying it decline with the rise of Indie.

No ship behind Corvette so I am all good sitting at my Rear Admiral

Would like to have VR and a X56, not that I have the time nor the energy to spend on those things while we are hitting by a SARS branch virus

1. Certainly 5% isn't much, I was just curious how Frontier would handle it, given Blizzard's tone-deaf and ten-thumbed handling of the issue.

2. Good to know.  I actually also grabbed an FAS since that seems reasonably popular at least for PvP, an FGS just because I want to arm with with nothing but multis and just BRRRRRRRRRT the night away, and an FDS because...well, because it's cheap.  Honestly I had a hell of a time figuring out what to do with an FDS; it's got tons of space but doesn't have the jump range to be a worthwhile cargo ship, when you can get a Type 7 for 75% the price with triple the cargo space and almost double the jump range.  Not worthwhile as a deep core miner; you can kit out an AspX for almost the same cargo and significantly more jump range, combat the Chieftain mops the floor with it for a comparable price, etc.  All I can think of is making it a ridiculous hull tank meme-ship.  Still - it was dirt cheap to begin with, and 30% made it even more so.

3.  I bet.  How are things going over there?  From what we're seeing now it sounds like infection is very widespread and they're estimating possibly thousands of deaths in the end?  Stay safe, I hope you aren't in an area where the Coronavirus has been found.  When you get the time and energy, I highly recommend VR.  If your inter-pupillary distance is around the average of 63.5mm, I'm enjoying the hell out of the Oculus Rift S with Elite Dangerous.  Skyrim VR...I played for about 15 minutes last night and I can already tell I'm going to have to slowly acclimate to stand-up VR games.  Turning with the joystick started playing with my equilibrium.

Stay safe, man.

1 hour ago, punishersal said:

Is this game worth trying just for some non-serious playing after work or is it more like EVE? 

If you seek a game where you are given no purposes, instead you give it purposes and you mark your own goals. This is more suitable than any other games out there. It is not EVE level of numerical complexity plus you can choose to be alone whenever you wanted to.

21 hours ago, FlorbFnarb said:

1. Certainly 5% isn't much, I was just curious how Frontier would handle it, given Blizzard's tone-deaf and ten-thumbed handling of the issue.

Not immediate issue, game itself has more issues to be worried.

2. Good to know.  I actually also grabbed an FAS since that seems reasonably popular at least for PvP, an FGS just because I want to arm with with nothing but multis and just BRRRRRRRRRT the night away, and an FDS because...well, because it's cheap.  Honestly I had a hell of a time figuring out what to do with an FDS; it's got tons of space but doesn't have the jump range to be a worthwhile cargo ship, when you can get a Type 7 for 75% the price with triple the cargo space and almost double the jump range.  Not worthwhile as a deep core miner; you can kit out an AspX for almost the same cargo and significantly more jump range, combat the Chieftain mops the floor with it for a comparable price, etc.  All I can think of is making it a ridiculous hull tank meme-ship.  Still - it was dirt cheap to begin with, and 30% made it even more so.

Broadly speaking, FGS is an inferior Krait II except for the gun department. FAS is a Chieftain that has no shield tank potential. FDS is an inferior Chieftain. I might be able to explain the situation with FDS and FGS.

The Dropship was one of the reason people went for Federation Navy, price tag. Remember back in the day there was no DBE, Courier, Keelback, Asp Scout, Vulture, FAS, Chieftain. So for the majority of people go up the ships will most likely be Cobra III -> Type 6 / Asp(Explorer), once they hit the 10mil mark, they only had 4 choices which 3 were classified as multipurpose ship: Dropship, Clipper, Python. The gap between Asp(X) and these ships were 6.6mil to 14mil, 22mil, 57mil. A Type-7 would cost you 17mil but nobody wants that ship because it was so terrible (remember it got buffed, more than once). If you want a ship that can land on Size 2 Pads, you only left two choices, the cheapest one and the most expensive one.

Why is it kind of bad now? Slightly powercreeped, it is now classified as a military ship (fighters), with its historical multipurpose ship mobility and agility stuck on it. Normally a Fighter class ship has more responsive throttling, loses less agility with no pip and few has high throttle blue zone. FDS feels more like a multipurpose as it was multipurpose back in the day. They didn't do anything to Dropship when they made passenger missions, so you will fly a Dolphin to transport military personnel more fitting than that. I dont know if people realised that the Dropship and FGS can go as high as 3000 MJ thermal with that amount and sizes of internals (again multipurpose history), a 14mil cost ship with 2500 MJ+ is actually quite respectable in PvE.

Gunship is an obvious one trick pony. It is an engineering demanding ship as it has to delete opponent faster than it was deleted. It can hull tank but it doesn't worth putting all effort into it as it only delay the inevitable as it is so slow. Therefore focus on firepower, 7 expermental multicannons is no joke, and it has way better module placement and protection over FAS and FDS, also Fighter Hangar. They made these "hull tankers" with less utility slot but then they added Guardian Reinforment so basically internals can be shields or armour, I would prefer Dropships' internal than this but another Class 6 means a larger hangar so it is fair. I would still not fly a Gunship because of it longevity and efficiency, it has good burst but it heats up quickly if it uses energy weapons like all Fed bricks do, 7 dakka high ammunition cost and have to refill ammo frequently. It is a brick, which means it always have a flat silhouette no matter what angle. It is as slow as a Corvette so it can hardly lead engagement or disengage, and doesnt have the armour of those bigger ships. So it has to wipe ships out before it got scratches enough.

3.  I bet.  How are things going over there?  From what we're seeing now it sounds like infection is very widespread and they're estimating possibly thousands of deaths in the end?  Stay safe, I hope you aren't in an area where the Coronavirus has been found.  When you get the time and energy, I highly recommend VR.  If your inter-pupillary distance is around the average of 63.5mm, I'm enjoying the hell out of the Oculus Rift S with Elite Dangerous.  Skyrim VR...I played for about 15 minutes last night and I can already tell I'm going to have to slowly acclimate to stand-up VR games.  Turning with the joystick started playing with my equilibrium.

Stay safe, man.

I dont know what the size of your "area" is, we have 8+ confirmed cases. The virus was first noticed in early December, reports only came in late December, obviously manipulated. As for the virus itself (2019 nCoV), same branch as 2003 Human SARS, genetically 90% similar to 2018 Bat coronavirus, 1-14 days incubation, no synoptoms, spray spread, virus can spread during incubation, highly infectious, attack rate 83%, fatal rate unknown because official numbers are not to be trusted as we all learn from our experiences.

Wuhan population 12million, esitmated 5mil escaped before lockdown, escapee worldwide. Most cases found are import cases (escapee), which indicated how fast those mainlanders are migrating for their own good (not whoever they are going to come contact with)

Masks shortage are likely to be global until factories and logistics revert normal and taking up demand after CNY. Western media are tentatively reporting this virus is a small issue (European countries, DE, UK included) as they were not hit by 2003 SARS or even MERS (close relative) making them less alerted than they should. Mainland Chinese are already mass-stocking masks, this include large company like Geely (Not sure what it wants aside from trying to make a profit out of it). Also people are "recycling" procedure masks, hang them under the sun and resell it as news, that sort of thing you would expect people to come up with to maximise profit has already been going for quite some time.

I dont know about how people works news on the otherside but as we grew up with an almost useless government, useful when it comes to make us suffering more, we work news through actively online instead of waiting for news reports, paper or articles (those could have been manipulated writings), people in the city are highly alerted before any news to be brought out. WHO is also very weak when it comes to leverage power compare to 2003.

And on top of all these people still go to work / home office and whatever usual things need to happen, stressing? Kind of. No other choice tho. Have to keep the city running in order to have logistics and supplies going.

https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6

Here is a map where data is gathered together, be noted not all countries reported data are reliable (especially one)

On 1/29/2020 at 11:36 AM, punishersal said:

Is this game worth trying just for some non-serious playing after work or is it more like EVE? 

It's absolutely fantastic in a lot of ways.  Don't expect an MMORPG though - you have no character to play, as such; your "character" is really more of a username.

Much as I would like them to develop Elite into a full-blown MMORPG with NPC character to get smuggling or bounty hunting missions from, an FSP element to it, etc., I don't know if that will happen.  At the moment consider it a persistent-world SF space flight sim with progression elements.

But it's really good at what it does.

On 2/6/2020 at 2:01 PM, FlorbFnarb said:

It's absolutely fantastic in a lot of ways.  Don't expect an MMORPG though - you have no character to play, as such; your "character" is really more of a username.

Much as I would like them to develop Elite into a full-blown MMORPG with NPC character to get smuggling or bounty hunting missions from, an FSP element to it, etc., I don't know if that will happen.  At the moment consider it a persistent-world SF space flight sim with progression elements.

But it's really good at what it does.

More sim than RPG, as Elite (older games) were. That's why they always tell you to go VR, I guess you already found out why.