Fiaura The Tank Girl

Elite: Dangerous - Anyone Out there?

13 hours ago, Unavailebow said:

More sim than RPG, as Elite (older games) were. That's why they always tell you to go VR, I guess you already found out why.

Oh yeah.  I still hope for them to add an FPS MMORPG element to it so I can land at a hive of scum and villainy and negotiate with this old monk, the farmboy, and his two robots for immediate passage off the planet, no Imperial connections.

On 6/8/2020 at 10:39 AM, Unavailebow said:

Occupied by real life, looked at Odyssey, might go for it.

Still alive? @FlorbFnarb

Just about to log in myself after a long hiatus.  Computer was taken apart for a long while, remodeling being done in the computer room.

From what I'm hearing fleet carriers might not be worth the 5 hojillion space-dollars they cost, and I don't know about this Odyssey thing.  Supposedly might not be VR compatible at first, which is really gonna bake my cookies if that's true.

5 hours ago, Wanderjar said:

but the real shock is the nerf to resource profits :/

Wait, what?  Trading gives less profit now?

Are you talking about deep core mining or like looking for Selenium or something?

diamonds/opals etc. they nerfed the 'hot spot' mechanic pretty hard, though i dont know the last time you played
normal/engineering stuff is still as common as ever

15 minutes ago, Wanderjar said:

diamonds/opals etc. they nerfed the 'hot spot' mechanic pretty hard, though i dont know the last time you played
normal/engineering stuff is still as common as ever

Ah, ok.  That's awful.  It's been several months since I played; the computer spent a few months disassembled while we did some remodeling, and before that I had been playing some DCS.

So they brought in fleet carriers at 5 billion a pop, then nerf the best way to make money?  Brilliant.

Good God I hate material gathering.  I always head out to HIP 36601 and Outotz LS-K D8-3 to do it, and it's still dull, dull, dull.

Just sold 512 tons of painite for like 460 million space dollars.  Money is absurdly easy to make in this game; unfortunately materials are still a huge grind.

I made a spreadsheet to calculate the opportunity cost of selling all your mining cargo (painite, whatever) in-system to a fleet carrier versus selling some of it in-system but selling as much as you can (up to 25% of demand) wherever the commodity commands the highest prices.

You only have to supply four piece of information:

1. The size of your load of cargo
  2. The price carriers in-system are offering
  3. The price offered by whatever system is paying the most
  4. The demand in that system

The spreadsheet calculates 25% of the demand, calculates that many tons as sold at the top dollar price, and figures the rest of it as sold in-system to a carrier at the carrier's price.  It tells you how much extra money you make by making the trip, and how many tons of ore that equals to at the price offered by the carriers in-system.

That way if you know the trip to sell takes you X minutes and the increased profit is worth Y tons of ore, if you Y is more tons of ore than you can mine in X minutes, go ahead and make the trip.  If you can mine more than Y tons of ore in X minutes, the trip is a waste of your time; you'd make more money just selling it all to a carrier and getting right back in the ring.  If you mine exactly Y tons in X minutes, it's a wash.

Link to the spreadsheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1uGYbzALUGlufWpBdcU3jDGxW-BVhA8sB17LBkLqeos8/edit?usp=sharing

Make a copy and clear out my example data in the shaded boxes; leave everything else alone, that's where the formulas are.