Luna

Changing default download/install path

So I have finally finished up my new build, and I installed windows on a samsung 850 120GB SSD, and only plan on putting that and maybe WoT. 

Everything else I want to have go onto my other 1TB hard drive.

The issue is that since I installed windows on the SSD, it has that set as the default //C: location path for all incoming downloads and installations.

I named the HDD //E:. so is there any way I can change the default location for all incoming files?

You can set a Downloads folder.

Also there's not really a point to WoT on an SSD because you'll have to wait 30 seconds for the battle to start anyways.

So I have finally finished up my new build, and I installed windows on a samsung 850 120GB SSD, and only plan on putting that and maybe WoT. 

Everything else I want to have go onto my other 1TB hard drive.

The issue is that since I installed windows on the SSD, it has that set as the default //C: location path for all incoming downloads and installations.

I named the HDD //E:. so is there any way I can change the default location for all incoming files?

yeah, just change the install location when you install new games/programs.

lern2reed.

I can change the location manually fine, but when installing 20+ programs I'd rather not have to do it every time.

All of your default windows location folders (desktop, downloads, pictures, etc.) can be relocated anywhere. Just right click on them, go to properties and select the "Location" tab. This should catch most of your incoming files.

There isn't really a way to set a default location for installations, most programs are set to use the windows directory by default. You could set up a symbolic link to the programs folder, but then anything in the programs folder would be wherever you link the folder.

If you don't want to do symbolic links, you could achieve the same thing with a registry edit

1.) Open regedit (if you don't know how, you shouldn't be doing this)
2.) HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SOFTWARE \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion
3.) Change the Path in DWORDs ProgramFilesDir, ProgramFilesDir (x86) to the new path, probably just changing the drive letter.

You can set a Downloads folder.

Also there's not really a point to WoT on an SSD because you'll have to wait 30 seconds for the battle to start anyways.

WG, in their infinite knowledge, does not load everything (like tank skins) into the memory when you load the map. Instead some things are loaded while the game is being played, and an SSD will definitely help with things like that.

Don't run WoT on SSD man, the performance game is totally negligible. (Heard it can also damage it but I call bs on that) I did the same then on HDD, there's no difference and 120Gb gets used up quickly! Most applications should have an advanced install option and you just choose the directory from there.

Don't run WoT on SSD man, the performance game is totally negligible. (Heard it can also damage it but I call bs on that) I did the same then on HDD, there's no difference and 120Gb gets used up quickly! Most applications should have an advanced install option and you just choose the directory from there.

Oh, yeah 120GB might be a little short... I have a 500GB and plan on getting at least one more some time soon

I did run wot on a ssd b4 I got a good rig which improved my fps. Now I got a good rig and still run wot on a SSD cuz >500gb ssd doesnt give a fuck. Also its quite nice to load into the game within a few seconds when it is crashed.

As already mentioned, you can set ur installation path with each installation and select another default location for downloads e.g via ur browser

So with steam the games auto-download to whichever drive you installed steam on, which is nice.

Same thing goes for B-net.

I my "downloads" directory to be in the HDD rather than SSD, so I think I am all gud. 

:D

tyvm for help u peeps