Good afternoon ladies and gentleman, hoping you are all well and good on this fine day.

I come with a question about something you probably do without thinking, side scraping.

Now I know the idea of this technique, leave a very acute angle for the opponent to shoot at, meaning each shot they fire either bounces or is eaten by the tracks. I also know side scraping is useless against derp guns, kv-2 for example. I have been trying to add it to my game play for a while now, especially since I am grinding the IS-7 line and the armor of those tanks isn't amazing. I'm currently at the IS and find whenever I try to side scrape against an enemy I am still taking damage, even if they are lower tier than me, just ruling out over matching of armor. 

Is there anything I can read or watch to improve this technique. I've had a look on Youtube and cannot find anything useful. The WoT forums has very little and I cannot find the search function on this forum.

I do apologise if this is a subject raised often, any and all help will be very much appreciated. :)

Typically you don't sidescrape with an is7. The pike on the front of the tank is designed to be pointed straight at the target. When you angle or sidescrape you're lessening the angle of the front pike making it easier to pen. It only has 150mm of upper playe armor. I believe. One way you can sidescrape in the is7 is reverse sidescraping. I've seen this done a few times with thr is7

Typically you don't sidescrape with an is7. The pike on the front of the tank is designed to be pointed straight at the target. When you angle or sidescrape you're lessening the angle of the front pike making it easier to pen. It only has 150mm of upper playe armor. I believe. One way you can sidescrape in the is7 is reverse sidescraping. I've seen this done a few times with thr is7

Im currently at tier 7 of the line. I am not fortunate enough to have reached the pike nose yet. I believe the first is IS-3?

Due to the pike nose of the IS series you expose part of your frontal armor at penetrable angles when backing uo enough so that you can shoot.
--> Side scraping works better in the KV series or German heavies.
--> In order to avoid that, reverse side scrape. Works the same way as the regular one, only you press your rear armor against the wall and expose turret+gun first. This is incredibly difficult if you aren't used to reversing.
Or simply try not to rely on the armor on the IS series: Blap someone for your alpha and out trade the enemy. If you have to rely on the armor, poke and present part of your pike nose at incredibly steep angles. Bait the shot, then peek out and blap them. Hull down can also work (but be aware of your turret roof over match spot).

Edit: The IS and the KV-85 do not have a true pike nose in the way that it looks like an IS-3 or IS-7, but they do have angled plates on the front (which is basically a pike nose), so they already suffer from the advantages/disadvantages of the pike.

If you are taking damage it is too much angle. If you have to go all the way down to an auto-bounce angle so be it.

Keep angle steep, near autobounce. Unless tank has insane side armor (e.g. KV4, STI, E100).

If you give your oponent enough time to hit the rear engine deck, it is overmatch.

However, most players don't know the overmatch. It's rarely an issue.

Valachio has some guides on how to DEFEAT sidescrapes if you're interested... just search him on YouTube.

Uh...you can definitely sidescrape with the IS-3/8/7. You have to hide the entire frontal hull and only let them see your angled sides. You can afford to angle them a bit more on these tanks than others thanks to the spaced armor.

The issue with reverse sidescraping is that it takes longer to get into position and if they push you, they have easy rear shots and you're gonna have to turn a full 180 to get your front armor to face enemies. 

MaxL has a great beginner's guide for armor usage

If you are taking HP damage when sidescraping, it usually means you are showing too much of your side to the enemy. Especially for tanks with rather thin side armor, you will need to maintain that autobounce or holyshiteffectivearmor angle for the sidescrape to work.

Don't be afraid to back up further for shots due to your shallower angle, the point of sidescraping (any usage of cover in fact) is to not lose HP in the first place, shooting back should be a concern only after you make sure you can't be damaged in the first place.

Woah, these replies are superb. Thank you all for your help. Seems I have a bt of reading and watching to do. :)

On the subject of reverse side scraping, it seems like something you can only use effectively if you can side scrape normally. Once I get the hang of making my armor super hard to penetrate, if the situation arises where reverse side scraping would help I shall give it a go. For now though I think I'll focus on the basics and getting them right. :)

IS-3 has bad frontal armor anyway, so sidescraping doesn't really make it worse (IMO). Although, reverse sidescraping makes it even harder for them to damage you.

IS-8 sidescraped pretty well for me, was a great reverse sidescraper

IS-7 works well for me as well, even when sidescraping 8s and most 9s will struggle to pen your cheeks/shoulders. I wouldn't advise sidescraping against a T10 TD though because they'll punch through your shoulders. Mostly what I do is stick the side out just enough (while still hiding the shoulders/cheeks) and bait a shot, then hit them while they're on reload. Also, E100 HEAT will go through the shoulders when you're sidescraping because E100 is tall and they're shooting down at a flat surface.

Im on the IS-3, and I actually find its more effective at reverse sidescraping than frontal sidesraping. the pike nose does give a problem if you cant hide it properly, while when you are reverse sidescraping you dont have to back out as much, but there is the problem of being rushed, like Dia said. 

I wouldn't reccomend it in the IS, keep front sidescraping with that, but I found while grinding it that sidescraping wasn't always effective with it, while Im finding the IS-3 and probably the IS-8 as well require good sidescraping to reliable bounce shots.

Jesus christ mate. When you're playing the is7 on a corner, do you poke the front out??

Can WOTLabbers finally standardize the following definitions:

• Sidescrape
  • Reverse sidescrape

I feel like some people mix the two up.

To me they look like this:

Sidescrape:

E-75-sidescraping.jpg

Reverse sidescrape:

maxresdefault.jpg

Can WOTLabbers finally standardize the following definitions:

• Sidescrape
  • Reverse sidescrape
I feel like some people mix the two up.

That's already the exact definition of sidescraping, I can't imagine any sort of variation.

If you are moving in and out of cover perpendicular to your side armor and showing your side as your largest profile, it's sidescraping.

Reverse side scraping makes it sound as though you're completely ignoring the solid cover, reducing the visible shot an enemy has, and just bouncing shots like a boss lol. Kind of an opposite to side scraping. :)

In seriousness though it's just reversing into a wall rather than driving into a wall.

Btw, the IS-3 now has a fairly large strip of 20 mm armor on its side, so now it's arguably terrible at sidescraping.

Sidescrape the pike nose series by sidescraping just enough to not reveal the pike. Once the enemy has fired, then reveal the pike and poke out for a shot.

Alternatively you can bait shots by momentarily revealing the pike whilst sidescraping.

I use the Knowledge Base for WoT app on my phone to help determine the best angle to present.  You pick the tank, then pick the gun shooting at it and see where it will pen or not.

sVj1mFi.png

Just noticed... the more I follow these forums, the worse my winrate gets.  But my WN is going up.  Learning to farm.

I use the Knowledge Base for WoT app on my phone to help determine the best angle to present.  You pick the tank, then pick the gun shooting at it and see where it will pen or not.

I prefer the Armor Inspector app because it tells you the angle between your turret and your hull.  So it's easier to figure out exactly what the 20 degree auto bounce angle looks like.

Meltymap's protractor mod has been fixed for patch 9.8.1 so you can also use that to help ensure you have the right sidescrape angle.

Edit: The IS and the KV-85 do not have a true pike nose in the way that it looks like an IS-3 or IS-7, but they do have angled plates on the front (which is basically a pike nose), so they already suffer from the advantages/disadvantages of the pike.

Huh? Are you equating the vertical angles of the UFP/LFP to the horizontal angles of the pike?