oddbal1

The Kewei Way: playing deaf

Question

First a quick background:  I'm a grandpa who up until a year ago was really, really bad @tanks.  Then I bought a new pc, stopped playing at 10 fps, and played sober, mostly.  Now I'm getting better, but I'm not good yet. 

A couple of months ago, Instead of re-rolling, I started "operation Mulligan" a do-over with the modest goal of having an average wr of 52% at each tier.  I'm up to tier 6 working on that.

Anyway I was thinking about Kewei and wondered if playing deaf conferred an advantage at this game.  I read his post at

http://forum.worldoftanks.com/index.php?/topic/175977-playing-deaf/       and thought I'd give it a try.

So I'm 25 games solo-pubbing into this challenge on a x3 weekend and I am 18-7 (a 72% win rate).  Small sample size, but interesting. Although I am playing with the sound off, I still hear environmental noises that distract.  I may need to get ear plugs or something...

Has anyone posted a challenge like this before?  Sorry If I missed it, I'd be interested in their results.

Oddbal1

I do this every once in a while either from having a really good day and clear mind or just don't feel like having sounds. I tend to play more actively since I can't hear and react to things so I'm constantly moving and looking around.

Works well for small sessions but annoying for longer ones

I very much doubt it is going to affect your performance positively. People who lack one of the senses usually learn to take advantage of their remaining senses even more. That's something they learn throughout their lives, not via a couple of hours of very casual practice in a video game. So, if Kewei's sharpened senses help him to excel at pixel tanks, I am certain you will not be able to sharpen your senses even the tiniest bit as much as he did. In fact, taking away one of your sources of information you're used to have is much more likely to affect you negatively.

I play without sounds at all, I like my own music better, and have chat off most of the time.

Though, in CW I have TS just so I can hear people yell at each other. In BULBA we only use it to get the call out in the first place and beyond that it's all pubbing anyways.

I use TS in platoons to also just dick around.

I guess having no sounds at all would let you focus a lot more.

in my experience with competitive fps games, and to an extent, wot, sound is very important if your used to it. With high end headphones, you can pin point the location of enemies in FPSs and in wot, when brawling/1v1s, you can hear when your enemy starts/stops his/her tank which really helps. also when a shot is fired at you, you can kinda tell the caliber of the shot by the sound it makes.

You posted this already on the official forums.  http://forum.worldoftanks.com/index.php?/topic/448573-the-kewei-way-playing-deaf/page__p__9121093#entry9121093

I guess you were not satisfied with some of the answers, but coming here to wotlabs.......where the skill level is DRASTICALLY higher than that of the official forums.......I doubt anyone will differ answer wise to what Blue and I have already stated.

I may be wrong and be surprised and see an answer that I didn't expect, but I won't be surprised if I don't.

Interesting challenge, again I doubt playing without the distraction of sound both in game and out will change your statistics unless if you for some reason go into hyper focus mode in which maybe 200-300 wn8 change, 2% win rate change may come.

hmmm, did not know Kewei was nearly deaf, i play most of the time with music in the background, so i dont hear WoT that much anyways

First a quick background:  I'm a grandpa who up until a year ago was really, really bad @tanks.  Then I bought a new pc, stopped playing at 10 fps, and played sober, mostly.  Now I'm getting better, but I'm not good yet. 

A couple of months ago, Instead of re-rolling, I started "operation Mulligan" a do-over with the modest goal of having an average wr of 52% at each tier.  I'm up to tier 6 working on that.

Anyway I was thinking about Kewei and wondered if playing deaf conferred an advantage at this game.  I read his post at

http://forum.worldoftanks.com/index.php?/topic/175977-playing-deaf/       and thought I'd give it a try.

So I'm 25 games solo-pubbing into this challenge on a x3 weekend and I am 18-7 (a 72% win rate).  Small sample size, but interesting. Although I am playing with the sound off, I still hear environmental noises that distract.  I may need to get ear plugs or something...

Has anyone posted a challenge like this before?  Sorry If I missed it, I'd be interested in their results.

Oddbal1

Posted this here because I was interested in the purple perspective.  Outside of Kewei, have any of you tried playing without sound and did it impact you negatively?  I expect that because it is forcing me to do what you already do (aka, think.  Look at minimap alot) it may help me as a training tool, but not for extended play.

Curious if any of you Uni's have tried a "Kewei Challenge"  (aka. no sound)

I'm obviously not a unicum.

In theory it might work. The less information you have to digest, the better you play. Additionally, you might go on tilt less (vehicle destruction, panic due to taking damage, etc...).

The only sounds that are useful are: fire (negated by auto-fire ext), voice (negated by TS), sixth (negated by icon).

I'm going to try it.

Edited by Zythalin

I haven't played with sound for probably 1.5-2 years now. It's not that I consciously find it distracting; rather, I just prefer to listen to my music than the game.

If I have improved due to the fact that I don't play with sound, it's subconscious, and it's probably a very minor improvement.

There are probably times when it would help me to have sound. Sometimes I can't tell if a teammate behind me shot, or if arty shot at me and I didn't see the splash. Still though, the advantages of not having ingame audio (thereby getting to listen to good music) outweighs the disadvantages.

Playing without ingame audio is pretty uncommon. In fact, the only person I know of that does it besides me is Kewei. It works out for the two of us though.

I'm fairly confident Kewei has an implant and cranks up Bach super loud. But for me playing silent helps me concentrate but I hate doing it since it's no fun

I very much doubt it is going to affect your performance positively. People who lack one of the senses usually learn to take advantage of their remaining senses even more. That's something they learn throughout their lives, not via a couple of hours of very casual practice in a video game. So, if Kewei's sharpened senses help him to excel at pixel tanks, I am certain you will not be able to sharpen your senses even the tiniest bit as much as he did. In fact, taking away one of your sources of information you're used to have is much more likely to affect you negatively.

That does seem very reasonable.  The problem is though that I am slower than I used to be and arthritic, I still do retain my 162 IQ and have always had an odd sense of spatial awareness in complete darkness.  Although I have (thinking back now...) never challenged myself w/o the sense of hearing, some of my closest friends back in the day were hearing/visually challenged.  So it is personally interesting.

and the results continue to come in.  My overall average is slightly above 50%, my recent is in the 56-57%, but in this challenge on a red bad x3 weekend solopub, I am now exceeding 72% playing w/o sound.  I doubt it will continue, but it is fun to try...

Have you ever challenged Kewei in some setting and yet did not play w/o sound?  Are you afraid to try?

Odd

But if you can learn to even focus on minimap more, once you go back to your normal play and if it sticks with you, isn't that that a slight improvement?

I do that in prolly every game I play since I got a mobile phone that plays music, cuz my pc/connection couldn't handle music+games b4 I upgraded.

Guess sound is an advantage when u need to hear how many ppl around a corner did shoot, or what caliber was fired - bouncing stuff eg.
But usually sound is not rly needed.

OP do not read this response or it may skew the results of your experiment. My answer is invalid anyhow, it's not purple.

I am going against the majority opinion here that this will not help his performance. While the behavior in question may not give a direct improvement in performance, I believe the OP is going to see improved results. These coincidental results will be because he now has greater motive to demonstrate marked improvement. He has been trying to improve for a couple months now, and the results of that effort have already been positive. Now given further motivation to "prove" a hypothesis, he will step up his game even more.

Edited by Malcontint

Curious if any of you Uni's have tried a "Kewei Challenge"  (aka. no sound)

I usually play with only gunfire on and bursting music if I'm not on TS. I can't really say that you gain any advantage from it though since your crew actually tells you what got broken and you hear a sound when stuff gets spotted. However it's something you get used to, this isn't CS where you need to hear where the footsteps are coming from. People use the sounds to confirm what they see in this game, it's really nothing more. It's just a layer of perception. Since you're not actually deaf you won't be able to keep the full focus you get from hearing nothing at all and only seeing what's in front of you.

This isn't the way to go for improving. Paying attention is and is honestly a little easier done with sound. 

I think it will improve your performance quite a bit if you are prone to distractions. I am a father of 3 and if the boys don't interrupt my game and focus, the wife will.

Iam not, but would like to comment .. 

Most of the sound ingame is fluff and doesnt give any information other than to clutter your focus. Turning off ingame music is ussually first thing you do when you start a brand new game. If you tend to play without any sound whatsoever ; at first you will progress as you will be more focused and aware on other visual things, later your brain will start to reproduce/play sounds you used to hear while playing, thus you will decline to a point when this wears off and it can only go up from there.

If you will play in total silence, wearing headphonse to disconnect yourself from enviromental sounds .. be carefull not to give yourself a stroke if someone disturbs you.

At this time you can decide if you want to include sounds that gives you usefull information ingame ; Gun shot, sixth sence, bounce.. Crew talk in only one language if you want their info what happened to your shell fired - debatable usefull info, but if using and not want fluff, be sure to have it in one laguage only for all your tanks.

Simmilar to have no ingame sounds is playing music you like in the background.

Correct music for certin situation is your enhancer, your mental stimulant. While incorrect music can irritate you in certain situation.

Music tempo/mood might influence your aggressiveness ingame, making you do things you normaly wouldnt have... then it depends what part of the gameplay you would like to enhance. Other than that .. playing organic music (example goa trance), music that sooths you, music that you know by heart (auto singalong) works best ... Simmilar to learning method while listening to music .. when certain music plays you auto remember what have you been reading (studying) at that time .. ofc depends on the focus you made on the study material, music in te background.

A couple things that sound helps you ingame:

High caliber guns makes big "boom!" noices: You can hear high caliber enemy guns very easily,  even if you didnt spot it or didnt see the gun been shot. That helps you when engaging an enemy while he is reloading. A good suggestion for a mod would be a "arrow trace" system that can detect the sound of the gun been shot. (I dont know how legal would that be).

Shell types make different noices: A premium shell differ from a standard shell when hits you. That helps you knowing how dungerous is the enemy. There are mods that tells you which shell the enemy is shooting (www.locastan.com). 

Quick update:  Been busy babysitting the grand kids so I've only played w/o sound sporadically.  Just did another 5 matches, 60% wr, avg wn8: 3,007.

Overall i have done 47 matches (starting last Friday) went 31 wins 15 losses 1 draw for a 65.96% wr.  I am finally tracking more info than that in a spread sheet as this has piqued my interest.

My latest match just before posting this:

http://wotreplays.com/site/1975008#arctic_region-oddbal1-amx_elc_bis

I see some mistakes I made but another Ace, patrol duty, top damage, top exp, 7,851 wn8.

just a scrub trying to get a little less scrubby....

Oddbal1

I like my game with all the trimmings, it is a game after all and an experience to be had. The sounds I pay attention too most are things like hearing a tank clipping out and use that information however Kewei has heightened other senses which no doubt is primarily visual hence his exceptionally high awareness using visual queues. Other sounds than that it's just icing on the cake which I do enjoy as the experience of the game
That said, like Neckcist, my kids are a definite distraction, if my two are playing up I get distracted and my play gets worse so I log out until they're in bed so no squabbles to sort etc.
Wife is good though, she leaves me to potato without her help lol.

Sound does not affect my performance at all for I play with my own BGM 50% of the time

From what I feel probably only FPS and RTS games really require sound because in FPS you need to hear footsteps/breathes and in RTS the sound actually give legit information like "your base is under attack"

and in wot your commander says "critical damage" when you damage your enemy's tracks

Playing with sound is something I always do. I always did after this particular game in the Rhoomba:

We were on Abbey and I was a Rhoomba, end game my team melts and there's only my and the arty left vs 3 enemy arties and an AFK T29. So I climbed up to the middle, and spotted the T29, so I shot him but I was then spotted, so I almost shat in my pants while I tried to go behind cover, luckily no arty fucked me up. Then I go back to my initial spot, and spot the T29 again (since he's afk) and back off enough to have time to shoot him. Right at that time, I heard some buildings crack very close to me (~100m or something like that), so I panic and point my gun to the way up, and there we have a bold Lorr 155 51 trying to shotgun me, so I fucked him up before he had a chance to even aim at me. I proceeded to get a topgun and high caliber for that game.

TL;DR, sometimes having the sound on can save you in a game.