Kymrel

Best spots for 3k stealth-sniping?

I am a fairly aggressive player and don't like bushkemping all that much. Now the last TD mission I need to do for the T55 to unlock mission 15 requires me to do 3k damage, shooting while not detected.

I wanted to get this mission the "natural" way while playing my Charioteer for fun, but was having little luck there. My DPG in that is slightly under 2k (I know, I know) so getting 3k all from stealth is stretching it. So out came my good old Object 704. After an initial cry over how the mobility of this former beast has been nerfed I've had pretty good games, including one where I did 2,8k stealth damage out of 3,8 total on Prok (damn that scout that spotted me just as I shot him for 250 to kill him).

I know I will get the mission eventually when I finally get Prok or Fiery Salient and can kemp the fuck out of the 1-2 line hitting the mouse button every 15 seconds or so while the enemies patiently roll on into my fire being lit up by a cheeky E1 scout. Only a matter of time for the stars to align. But that leaves me playing an awful lot of 704 games on other maps where I have little chance of blapping 4 average shots for 3k damage from stealth.

Would any of you more patient players share favorite spots on other maps where 3k stealth-damage is possible? Lakeville path shooting into city is certainly one, but on most maps I have little clue. I've never been much for patience and don't know the best spots for non-turreted sniping anymore. And uncle Google is not really being helpful since many of the maps have changed so much.

Anyone?

use the map rotation checker on the wotlabs main site to check when the camo maps are in rotation

(and do it soon before they get de campified)

Yes, thanks, I love the Micropositioning thread. I have found useful spots there, but not many that allow an Object 704 to camo-snipe.

I do use the rotation checker and switch servers after getting a city map :verysmug:

Remember its not absolutely needed to use bush, you can also just sit in open as long as you outside their spotting range, capped at 450m or so. Outside that and you just cannot get spotted ever. You got addons to show draw range square on map right?

I did this mission for T55 using WtfE100, Serene Coast sitting totally open top of railway tracks at H4/G4, just sniping them at max range. And wtfe100 has like zero camo value.

Then same mission for o260 did in Sand River assault sitting at G5 spamming gold ammo from o268. Again totally open spot with no bushes. Later in match advancing closer and shooting from closer range using bushes (and getting lit when shooting). I thing it counts (or did count) for mission if you only get lit when you shoot.

If map does not provide natural camo cover, just try to exploit these ranges whever there is long enough open spaces. Also Camo net is probably good idea, o704 has pretty good camo so you can probably even shoot unspotted at ranges >400m

Yepp, I use the draw range and visual range on my map. I just get the feeling playing a turretless TD that there are fewer spots with good long-range opportunities than I thought before going to look for them :)

I'm not quite ready to switch the binocs out for a camo net. Perhaps that is what I have to embrace with the new "TDs should be totally blind" change?

Just did this camping the west on Malinovka to support a push along the west pond and then crossing the plain to finish the remaining enemies on the east. All the game undetected but that last shot arrived at the target to late, 2.953 damage...

HxvNHub.jpg

I'm not in a position to give advice but in this battle for example I didn't spot for myself, it's really hard to do that and remain unspotted after the shot unless bushing very hard. To remain unspotted I stay quite behind allied forced so I could even have 100 meters view range and it'd be the same, more camo wouldn't hurt but like sahtila you can just stay very far, can't do that always though. Maybe not all TDs should be totaly blind, but snipers TDs should not spot for themselves imo...

Ah, but as I understand it you can become visible after taking the shot, is that not the correct understanding? Or do I have to chai-snipe until I get this mission done?

But yes, this is a good place to go on Mali. I had one bad game there with the 704 from the other side, haven't gotten this side yet but will give it a go if the teams look likely for that to work if I eventually get on the map :) 

I don't know how excactly it works but I've always assumed that you had to be hidden when the damage is done (= when the shot hits the target) and usually if you get spotted after shooting that happens very little before the shell arrives at destination, like half a second at high distances but still that makes you spotted when the damage is done. I guess between the shoots you can get spotted without problems...

Hm. Can somebody confirm this? I can't remember how I did the previous Stug/T28 missions and now I worry that if I get spotted after shooting that doesn't count, making this mission the dumbest TD mission of them all...

Ahhhh, finally. Object 704 on line 1-2 on Fiery Salient. Would have won too if that little bat-coward had not hid somewhere in a bush to force a draw after a loooong camp-fest.