lazydot

Help me to consistently avg 4k+ DpG in t10 meds

Hey there,

the title says it all basically, but here are some thoughts and what I've been doing so far.

3 years ago I had 1.1k dpg in type 59 and was trying to get it up to 1.5k (wot forum post with stats), now its at 1.6k or so.

2 years ago I was working to get my t10s up to 2.5k dpg, now I'm trying to push em to 3k and still don't have it on a single tank yet (50m and bc are 2.9k+ though). I was trying to get 3d mark in BC but gave up at some point never breaking past 92-93% or so, then accuracy nerf came and it feels even harder to achieve. Then I tried it with 140, but hell, I managed to get only 2nd mark in it by averaging 3.6k over 50 battles with 3.8k over last 20 before I finally got it.

On good days I do manage to average 3.6k+ first 1-2h, but as the session goes on (weekends mostly), it drops by 300-600 at the session end pretty consistently.

I'm watching youtube/streams/replays of best playerers regular, and some of my own better games but I don't see that many mistakes myself to work on. I make sure that my crews/setup is pretty much the best as it can be (forums and videos).

Some mistakes/differences I noticed so far:

- I end up screwing somehow often by trying to get to a high reward spot, knowing, if their meds/lights will cross X or I don't get support, I could lose way to much HP and not being able to get back, aka being to aggressive early on, esp. in tanks like 215B/62a/50m ending often in me getting killed with under 2k dmg in first 2-3 minutes of the game or being 1-shot for the rest of the game.

- I shoot to fast at the targets without fully aiming, often enough missing/not hitting the aimed spot, where as would I wait 1-2 sec longer I could take a well aimed shot at a weak spot. 

- I see a lot of better players, often ignoring arty, even when there are 3-4 of them on open maps and stick to the same spots longer, but also being able to take more shots because of that (or getting clicked faster in process), whereas I'm pretty paranoid if spotted and try to to back off and wiggle asap and just have close to a heart attack for the next 15 seconds. Not sure its wrong, but maybe not the way I do it.

I could upload few replays of more recent sessions, have a replays thread on wot forums and here are my more detailed tank stats: vbaddict profile and open for suggestions.

EDIT: DpG development in most played/liked T10s so far, most of them have 800+ games, FV 100+ only:

NlriCKc.png

4lgh6oo.png

U732ATC.png

6iUg6xN.png

ZtlvPGN.png

2ORfZIl.png

xM6lKnM.png

Thanks!

Edited by lazydot

Uff, if you want a 4k DPG in a T10 med you have to try hard as fuck. I consider a DPG in a med above 3.3k+ as really good.

I think it would help alot if you would upload some replays, so we (the best players on Wotlabs, me not included) can give you some tips :)

look at ru streamers

I speak Russian and watching them regular. There are almost no any other alternative streamers than russian/eastern, at least if you want to see guys with ~4.5-5k+ dpg levels.

It pretty much comes down to maximizing your shooting potential. Be the first one in the match to start dealing damage, so that is less that you have to chase down later. If you've ever watched kewei play, you will see that his aggro is only matched by his mechanical ability to stay alive. Learn to bait shots, because every shell you don't take (generally) means you are getting out a free shell of damage in return. Know the commanding spots on maps that will pretty much always guarantee a win provided can control them. You take a lot more risks in trying to max out damage, but if you stay alive then you can reap the rewards by having massive firing lanes on enemy locations.

The only way to really average 4k is to remove the bad games. Like yesterday I had 3.7k average dmg. 3 of the games above 5k, 5 of the games high 4k, 6 games high 3k, 3 games below 3k. If I did not have those 3 games under 3k I would of been over 4k no problem.

Basically if you cut out you bad games your average damage will sky rocket. I am still trying to find the secret were people can pull 3k minimum every game no matter what. Steam rolls are usually the biggest factor in my damage.

hm, when it comes down to that much I wouldn't say you're making any mistakes per se (at least from what you've written you do, i haven't watched the replays), but it will probably come down to some little things.  if you were able to keep ~3.7k in your 140, that just means you need to pen one more shot per game, so focus on aiming your shots a bit more and being a bit smarter at what you're shooting at (something as little as that made a big difference for me).  another more subtle skill is positioning.  I don't mean to lecture on that "good" or "bad" spots on the map, but you if you want 4k+ dpg, you better know exactly where best to go in any given situation.  this place should be extremely advantageous in the fact that you should be able to continually dish out damage while exposing yourself very little to force good trades.  with positioning comes situational awareness as well, perhaps if you recognize when certain situations arise in a game, you can work on reacting even a couple seconds faster, and that can help give you that extra damaging shot per game.  

that's just my 2 cents, also as a little self advertisement I do stream as well if your others aren't online or something :D

Edited by KillerTiger

I speak Russian and watching them regular. There are almost no any other alternative streamers than russian/eastern, at least if you want to see guys with ~4.5-5k+ dpg levels.

4k+ damage on NA/EU is absolute cream of the crop. I've talked a bit with the Ding ESL guys and some of them have pretty legit RU accs. 4k damage on RU ~3.5k on EU...

What helped me the most is speed up decision making. Don't think about what you will do next, try to make your decisions as fast as possible. You'll start making some mistakes, overextend at times and yolo/lose some health at the start but once you mastered it you can increase your DPG quite a bit. That's what I find the biggest difference between me and the 3k-4k recent players when we platoon. While they're thinking what move to do next and to which flank to commit I'm already there and get the one/two shots in that in the end make the difference. That's the reason why I tend to drag blue/barely unicum guys up in platoon and they drag me down: I make the decisions for the platoon and they can farm off it...

4k+ damage on NA/EU is absolute cream of the crop. I've talked a bit with the Ding ESL guys and some of them have pretty legit RU accs. 4k damage on RU ~3.5k on EU...

What helped me the most is speed up decision making. Don't think about what you will do next, try to make your decisions as fast as possible. You'll start making some mistakes, overextend at times and yolo/lose some health at the start but once you mastered it you can increase your DPG quite a bit. That's what I find the biggest difference between me and the 3k-4k recent players when we platoon. While they're thinking what move to do next and to which flank to commit I'm already there and get the one/two shots in that in the end make the difference. That's the reason why I tend to drag blue/barely unicum guys up in platoon and they drag me down: I make the decisions for the platoon and they can farm off it...

Cant be more true. The moment I start over thinking things, like I have been lately, is when I begin to tilt. I find myself thinking I should of just did what I wanted to do in the first place an awful lot. 

snip

First shots are important, they usually account for the first 1/2/3 shots worth of damage before the enemy starts avoiding whatever place it is you're shooting at - and they're only reachable if you have decent speed, view range, and aren't afraid to go aggro. 

You can probably push yourself another few hundred if you practice getting the first shots - but that's not something I can help with since it's too deeply ingrained in me to go aggro. 

Should give you a decent starting point though - my favourite is the mid of prokhorovka w/a tank w/decent gun depression. 

Edited by A_Chodeful

Thanks for the feedback so far guys.

Well I started todays 62a session after watching few vids and replays badly with 2 2k and 1k damage games out of first 3, still had 3.8k at 18 games and already down to 3.3k at 21 and few bad games later. There were like 2-4 major huge fuck ups costing me overall at least 2-3k damage per game. And RNGsus, where I hit for example 27 our of 40 shots and only 17 of which are penetrating including 4 zero dmg hits on 1375/1390's.

Then I had few better ones, including 7.2k+ dmg game, but where I aim for side of last jpge100 at the end, hit spaced armour instead twice even after aiming 2nd one at the turret and he rolls high roll of snap shot HEAT into my turret front for over 1.2k damage in return to finish me off.

Overall, 2 fuck ups less and  I'd be at 3.8k, 4-5 less and its 4k already.

Raged to much at arty and stuff, will try to repeat Fridays with better focus and less dumb rage.

Session results (all solo) + 62a setup:

62a setup, whereas I think 12 HEAT shells is to much and will get it down to 10-8 probably not having APCR left cost me 1 game already:

yCmZxn9.png

XSp2fjS.png

Lowest damage games:

Edited by lazydot
add lowest dmg games numbers

hm, when it comes down to that much I wouldn't say you're making any mistakes per se (at least from what you've written you do, i haven't watched the replays), but it will probably come down to some little things.  if you were able to keep ~3.7k in your 140, that just means you need to pen one more shot per game, so focus on aiming your shots a bit more and being a bit smarter at what you're shooting at (something as little as that made a big difference for me).  another more subtle skill is positioning.  I don't mean to lecture on that "good" or "bad" spots on the map, but you if you want 4k+ dpg, you better know exactly where best to go in any given situation.  this place should be extremely advantageous in the fact that you should be able to continually dish out damage while exposing yourself very little to force good trades.  with positioning comes situational awareness as well, perhaps if you recognize when certain situations arise in a game, you can work on reacting even a couple seconds faster, and that can help give you that extra damaging shot per game.  

that's just my 2 cents, also as a little self advertisement I do stream as well if your others aren't online or something :D

Just read the content in your replay thread. Basically there are a lot of stuff which answers my questions like which areas to focus on and shall help me to get my next goal done.

Will add it to my wot bookmarks + follow to see some live action as I get home.

Just did a 2nd 62a Session on the weekend, first 8 games @4.2k @ 40%-ish WR, 21 games @3.8k, then did few mistakes, was upset about myself + cancer focus screwing some games => resulting in more rage & bad mood and thus more bad decisions overall. Ended at around 3.4k at the session end again, MoE high: 91.51%, current: 89.xx%.

Goals for next session:

- at least 20 min break after 10 games or so

- session length max 20 games

- disable all chat to not rage @clickers but focusing more on the game play instead

- post replays for review/input

Watched at least 5h+ of replays and streams, its looks so easy how the guys are constantly getting 5-7k games in their t9-10 meds, with only very rare screw ups and 2k or less DpG overall, but without knowing what their thinking & decision process exactly is, its hard to judge and copy that into your own game.

Watched at least 5h+ of replays and streams, its looks so easy how the guys are constantly getting 5-7k games in their t9-10 meds, with only very rare screw ups and 2k or less DpG overall, but without knowing what their thinking & decision process exactly is, its hard to judge and copy that into your own game.

the key is understanding their decision making process without them telling you, once you can do that it's much easier to incorporate it into your own play.  being spoonfed the information will only help your improvement so much, understanding is the key.  when I began wanting to improve I watched straik the most by far, and since he doesn't speak english on his stream I had to rely on my own knowledge to answer my questions of why he did what he did.  next time you're watching a replay or stream ask yourself why that player made a certain decision.  look at their screen, look at the minimap and try to come up with the best explanation.  once you get a better understanding of their decision making through your own questions/answers it's much easier to imitate it in your own play.

Edited by KillerTiger

who is that one terrible -G- streamer that trys to explain everything he does and ends up hardly even being dark purple?

Shit should be obvious.

Honestly this game has just turned into which spots should I use based on their tank comp/arty and when/ will it be usable soon[tm]?

btw run way more heat on 62a, I mean I did 3850 on obj140, but that was 15 heat only, and that was when I just started playing gud. Now I carry 25 apcr, 23 heat, and 2 he in 62a. Having zero issues penning jag100s is the best experience. 

Edited by MrsmilieyfaceC8

who is that one terrible -G- streamer that trys to explain everything he does and ends up hardly even being dark purple?

Shit should be obvious.

Honestly this game has just turned into which spots should I use based on their tank comp/arty and when/ will it be usable soon[tm]?

btw run way more heat on 62a, I mean I did 3850 on obj140, but that was 15 heat only, and that was when I just started playing gud. Now I carry 25 apcr, 23 heat, and 2 he in 62a. Having zero issues penning jag100s is the best experience. 

Why don't you stream while constantly checking chat and trying to explain everything? It can sometimes get annoying and takes away from playing. 

Why don't you stream while constantly checking chat and trying to explain everything? It can sometimes get annoying and takes away from playing. 

Recently I've only been playing with my friend, or brother watching while I explain everything, and yeah it does take away from your stats... but not too much. Honestly though, I appreciate what he's doing, but even as a yellow watching garbad's replays I was able to see why he did things and quickly improve. Plus what the fuck is with your wn8, fucking pz4/5 jesus christ.

Edited by MrsmilieyfaceC8

the key is understanding their decision making process without them telling you, once you can do that it's much easier to incorporate it into your own play. 

Understanding overall picture and "bigger" general decisions like going to certain spots by certain setups is relatively easy. I feel this is often about those micro decisions you hardly see, which makes watching them most interesting apart from their consistency, like why they aim at certain not that obvious parts of a tank from different distance or why they pre-aim / take blind shoots not where you would expect them/do yourself.

BTW, anyone else noticed, that the best players like Straik hardly ever brawl/engage in close face to face combat fights?

I don't see any reason, even logical one to carry so much HEAT. Its way slower and screws your aiming if you switch from APCRF, its screws you often hitting tracks/sides/random other spaced armour too and its expensive. I have 9 on 140/62a now with 0 HE (don't feel like 50 shells are enough to carry 1-2 HE for waffles, but on 50m/m48 I have some). I run more often out of APCR in 62a, than not having HEAT if you "need it" by carrying 12.

Forgot to mention, that Straik/Lebwa/Inspirer/and others, often together with Amway have "analysis" type of videos, where they pick out some battles and discuss decision process and which decisions were good/bad, its awesome. I'd wish, there would be more of this post-game analysis stuff out there.

Edited by lazydot