saber1979

When should a noob join a clan?

So I'm new, as in less than 1K battles new. I'm still learning the maps, and weak spots of various tanks, but as a player I think I'm doing well given my noobness. I am however starting to get fed up with random battles, because at my current tier (5/6), it seems few players can analyze a match and make good tactical decisions.  I routinely see stuff like all the heavies rush rush down one flank, leaving the other flank vulnerable for being overrun and the inevitable cap, or flanking that leads to a crossfire situation. Sometimes I can react to this, but in general I'm not of a high enough tier/skill yet that i can carry a match on my own.

Now I'm assuming playing with clan mates would lead to playing with better players, hence my question. When should a noob consider joining a clan, and what should they be looking for?

You're going to get many opinions on this topic so stand by.

Mine is wait until you're at T8. T8 is where you should really be putting it all together as you probably have crews that are at a minimum 2 skills/perks, and you have a working knowledge of AMPV (armor/map/pen/vision). Most clans at least want to run stronks, so having a viable collection of T6s and T8s is usually imperative to decent clan membership.

JM.02c

*edit... many clans are "okay" with TS lurking. If you had a bud in a decent clan, maybe he asks leadership if he can "friend" tag you, and then hang out there socially. Don't be a boob or an ass, and you'll become a regular to them, and play with players much better then what you might find in a low tier clan.

Edited by Pitch_Black

My advice:

• You can join a clan any time you feel like, IF it's mainly for fun.
  • Even so, I'd probably recommend that you NOT accept spammed clan invites prior to achieving tier 6, say. Anyone that would ask a player below that level to join a clan is just looking for warm bodies. 
  • If you want to become a decent player, and approach the game seriously, it's probably better not to join a clan where you are the best player in said clan
  • If you have no interest in Clan Wars, don't pester CW active clans for membership. It's just a waste of time, for both of you.
  • It politics and cliques bothers you, talk to a few clan members before joining. Some clans are worse than the girls washroom at a California high school on a cattyness level.
  • If you join any Relic related clans, get a framed picture of Loz immediately and hang it over your monitor. Then practice typing "u wot m8". 
  • There ARE clans dedicated to learning and teaching out there. I'm thinking specifically of M--M. 
  • Don't sweat the decision too much. It's not like clans are a cult and it's going to take an intervention to get out.
  • If all you are looking for is platoon mates, there are other options. 

Edited by DingBat

Mine opinion is join one when you feel like it.  But realize that if you're shooting for the uber elite clans you're going to need to meet certain stat requirements, tank requirements, etc.

As a newbie looking for a clan in general......I would look for a training clan.  Usually those things can lead up to some great skill training, but they can also lead to some bad skill training if you play with the wrong people in the clan (it happens).  Honestly though, if you are looking for skill training...I would find a mentor IMO.

If you want to lern the game, why not join [LABS]?
That is assuming you want to become part of WoTLabs and not just perma-lurk. :retard:

That said, you really don't need a clan. Look at my clam history for example: I only ever was part of a fun clam with my friends.
If you want to join one make sure you are willing meet the activity requirements (main reason why I am clamless). :foreveralone:

@DingBat

If all you are looking for is platoon mates, there are other options

This is probably the biggest thing for me right now. Right now when i enter a match i assume most of the people on my team are idiots. It would be nice to be able to play with someone who knows what they are doing and has my back when i need it.

@TheEmptyLord

If you want to lern the game, why not join [LABS]?

Someone mentioned this lat night in chat, but I don't meet the requirements yet. 

@DingBat

This is probably the biggest thing for me right now. Right now when i enter a match i assume most of the people on my team are idiots. It would be nice to be able to play with someone who knows what they are doing and has my back when i need it.

@TheEmptyLord

Someone mentioned this lat night in chat, but I don't meet the requirements yet.

@DingBat

@TheEmptyLord

Frequent the WOTLABS channel IG, it's where I got my initiation into learning the game behind the game.

I joined my first clan when I met a cool guy who was willing to teach me things about the game that I previously didn't know. He taught me how to angle, how the camo system works, and weak spots. After joining his clan I met a lot of nice, helpful people and went from a red player to at least a light green one.

So, in my experience joining a clan was the beginning of my improvement, but I was really lucky to find such an active, helpful community to guide me back then.

Hi I was in your position at about 4k battles and complete crap WN8.

I would say you can learn a lot regardless of whether you're in a clan. At where you are, the various resources in WotLabs are still of high value to you. I learnt a lot just by reading all the guides and information in here. I also learnt by watching various Youtubers and streamers. Zeven is an excellent teacher, and I also learnt from watching WaterWar, LemmingRush, JunkersHiryu, Sela and others.

At some point, learning in-game with a player (my mentor is prolix from FLEX) will be the next step (especially when it comes to improving/refining decision-making on the go), but my point remains that you should not need to rely on a clan to improve your gameplay. 

I am still clanless and still learning every day. :)

Now I'm assuming playing with clan mates would lead to playing with better players, hence my question. When should a noob consider joining a clan, and what should they be looking for?

Considering your current stats, it could be difficult to get into a clan with many players better than you. You might try some of the training clans though.

As to what to consider, it depends what you are looking for.

Social clans are often very easy to get into, and it can be fun to have people to platoon and chat with. Improvement opportunities questionable -check people's stats here before taking their advice.

Stronghold clans (which are often combined with social) are also often easy to get into. Expect platoons, chat, some organised team play. Quality varies. Any team play is good for improvement, but if you aren't careful you may quickly become frustrated as you improve (and they don't).

Training clans -exactly what they sound like. Most of the ones I've seen have reasonably low wn8 requirements, but do ask for good attitude and effort to get better.

My tips on looking for a clan:

-look for a clan where you are in the bottom half of the roster by wn8

-make sure they use voice chat

-spend some time on their TS before joining (platoon, find out if you like the general attitude of the clan)

-look for a clan with 50+ players (you risk being the only person online in very small clans)

-check out several clans before joining one

-do not consider Clan Wars clans at your stage

-remember you can always leave if you change your mind later

-don't count on your clanmates to make you a better player, even in a training clan. In the end it comes down to you, not them.

Good luck!

Welcome to the forum.  You can join a clan anytime you want.  Though because you are new, the competitive clans may not be so interested.  Look for the clans that are there for support and are there to enjoy the game. Good luck and have fun everyone ;) Die Spectacularly :P