So during work tonight I got to thinking of finally getting some hard numbers behind all of the sperg that arty is known for generating. ie constantly focusing unica, one shots/HE pens, stupid amounts of arty in a match, etc.

My idea is to finally start tracking my experience of playing the game how I normally do (aggro with tryhard loadouts) and tracking many factors in every game I play to see what kind of impact arty has on my gameplay.

I've started a google drive spreadsheet to track ~100 battles in sets of 10 [edit 1: all t9/10] (play 10 games, then go back and watch each replay to record all data) and see what my results are. 

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1RgBmxd2fRsmCRQ8PMT4BvTYz3OEQF3fxG388ZrXVEmo/edit?pli=1#gid=0

Depending on if this ends up being really popular or useful, I will be opening it up for pretty much anyone interested provided they can actually input a significant amount of games (maybe at least 50 or so?) I would like to get input from a wide range of colors, from you 4k+ rerolls to you <1k peeps who haven't mastered this stupid game yet.

Pls gib feedback/support/anything else you feel like contributing (poni pics give +10 rep on your account ;^))))

Edited by Luna

I think it needs to take into account tank types, even if it means more data is needed, but tank choice just makes too big of a difference.

Tried to look for a pic of the ponies in Mount and Blade: Viking Conquest. Google gave me this: Manliest pony ever.
viking_pony_by_wreky-d5g3x3y.png

To be entirely honest: I am really curious about the results of your inquiry. It would probably also be interesting to calculate DPG with and without arty to have tangible numbers.
As far as contribution goes: Any tank? Any tier? Pluton/Solo? And where to upload assuming I get a meaningful amount of games done?

To be entirely honest: I am really curious about the results of your inquiry. It would probably also be interesting to calculate DPG with and without arty to have tangible numbers.
As far as contribution goes: Any tank? Any tier? Pluton/Solo? And where to upload assuming I get a meaningful amount of games done?

T9/10, dont really care for tank type (arty doesnt count obv), games dont matter, and if you are interested PM me your email address and I will share the document with you (must be logged into google accounts with it though)

Enemy side

ARTY: oh shit there unicum on other side, priority win kill purple rest yellow will carry game

Yellow: arty focus purple, pls

RED: PIE

Green: PIE

Blue: Let win this, MM worked

Allies side

Purple: ...

Yellow: PIE

RED: PIE

Green: MM broken

Blue: men, why so many arty

ARTY: PIE clicked

Also add you position on team list when any clicker fires at you. They just love to ignore top tier tanks and hit purple bottom tank.

Ponys are obsolete, now it's animu time.

tjhniX0.png 

Keep track of whether or not the clan the account is in is well known or not. (Idk how you would exactly determine if they're well known at a certain threshold)

I've had a sneaking suspicion that clan tags are also a pretty big factor in arty foucus and yolo's. 

I'm not XVM target numero uno (thank god) (And no, not the Carbon alt account), but I find I still get focused even in like a T37 or a 54LW over the shitlord E-100 in the middle of the field far too often for clan tags to not be a coincidental factor.

One of the batch-replay tests I intended to run months back was whether good players do better or worse in games with a lot of arty. One problem is that you can't use raw damage (even tank adjusted) because games with a lot of arty also have a lower hit point total. I had some daft idea of how to adjust this, but never got around to it.

Looking at it a second time around, there's a pretty easy way to handle the damage adjustment. All you need to do is divide each player's damage by the total damage that their team dealt.

So, running the method on a mid-April batch of over 9000 EU tier 10 & 11 replays:

Including replay uploader & their platoon:

arty       2k+ WN8 players      dmgprop
0               1891             0.124
1               2278             0.117
2               1911             0.113
3               1515             0.111

Not including replay uploader or their platoon:

arty       2k+ WN8 players      dmgprop
0               1518             0.102
1               1852             0.099
2               1554             0.096
3               1214             0.094

arty = number of arty on opposing team
dmgprop = average proportion of team's damage dealt by a 2k+ WN8 non-arty player

WoTReplays batches are a bit dubious, but I can't think of any obvious cross-correlations that would cause the same effect. There are two known effects that should counter it:

1. Artillery currently have terrible damage output on EU at tier 10 compared to other classes, which should leave more damage for non-arty players.
  2. Good players are much more likely to play medium tanks and less likely to play heavies. Other tests demonstrate that heavies suffer most from higher arty counts while mediums benefit most.

So the impact of artillery on good players is likely to be stronger than this test indicates.