Ilnahro

KV-5 Available! Worth it?

So WG put up the KV-5 for sale during Tankfest for a whopping 38.45€ or alternatively the BT-SV bundled with the standard 99.99€ package. Are those two worth it? I'm mostly curious about the KV-5. Everytime I come across it in randoms it seems useless, but that doesn't say much in WoT

If you can roll down the hill on Himmelsdorf and treat the enemy team as a bunch of bowling pins just once in your life... you'll feel it was worth it.

Alternatively, the funniest thing I ever saw while running artillery was an enemy KV-5 being shoved at top speed down the center road of Fjords by a trio of Panthers and rammed a Tiger II into the ocean... he had been at the intersection trying to work the corner when he was first hit.

Keep in mind that this is a personal opinion. I own both tanks and have quite a few battles in both.

KV-5 is a fun pub stomper and imo superior to the IS-6. If you learn to use its armor (drive diagonally at pubbies) you will get lots of bounces and it has enough DPM + HP to rek every T8 heavy in a 1v1.
The armor layout also makes it a great tank to start a push with. Needs lots of APCR tho as the 167mm AP penetration is very lackluster.
--> I got it for ~30€ iirc and it is well worth that amount. Would also consider getting it for 40€ if I had to buy it again. Fun to drive and play means it will earn you lots.

BT-SV is a mixed bag: It is incredibly fast and has great potential to troll Pz 1c driver + every tank using <50mm guns and auto canons. The gun has pretty good gun handling, but can still feel terrible due to the insane acceleration. It turns like a whale though, so clutch braking and off-road-driving are really nice skills to have.
However what ultimately brings the BT-SV down is overmatch. 25mm armor at the front and 20 at the sides mean that newbies+noobs using AP from 75mm Derp guns out DPM you while there is literally nothing you can do against it. Same goes for FCM Paks and Marder IIs (surprisingly there are still lots of Marders around. Usually driven by shitters that camp one spot tho.). Out-turning them is not viable due to your terrible traverse and you can't bounce them. Other tanks can still lol pen you if you get unlucky (driver view port probably), but overall the armor is quite reliable against <75mm guns since you can easily get insanely high angles.
Don't get me wrong, the tank is incredibly fun to drive, but the T-127 is probably better (and cheaper).
If you have a use for the gold anyways the BT-SV is probably a nice add-on, however getting the gold only for the tank is a waste.

must not be available on NA server, I don't see it

Tankfest in the UK, so this event may be EU exclusive.

Honestly it depends on how much of a HT driver you are.

If you're like me and picked it up without knowing much about HT (still don't), it's not the best buy, although I haven't truly regretted it. However, it is a very high skillcap tank, and I feel utterly useless in most games. Also, for solopubbing 99% (like me), it also might not be the best tank since no one can cover you and it's hard to RTB or switch flanks in the KV-5.

That said, sometimes it's pretty damn fun! I think it can also do HT-15 for the StuG IV and the T28C with ease, and maybe even the one for T-55A (that's a long shot though). I did the StuG IV one in three games.

When I m driving a tank with 200mm pen and see a KV-5 my first though is damage farming. Seriously - that turret has so many flat surfaces and weakspots ... . Sure its nice for stomping t6s and most t7s but every semi competent t8 driver will see you as a XP pinata, even with APCR you have to aim right with that tank. Combine that with a horrible mobility and viewrange ... sorry, but if you want to spend 40€ on a premium get yourself an FCM, Löwe or IS6.

Edit: I dont own the tank, I just prefer it in the enemy team instead of an IS3.

Edited by Folterknecht

Mort managed 3.1k dpg in the KV-5.

http://www.forum.wotlabs.net/index.php?/topic/19262-morts-kv-5-solopub-sustainability-challenge/

Fy7OhWe.jpg

Edited by Cunicularius

It... depends. The main problem with the KV-5 right now is that the Spershing scratches mostly the same itch. The KV-5 has a few interesting tools at its disposal that the spershing can't hold a candle to, but the spershing is so much more tanky in frontal engagements, holds up so much better against high tier heavies, and is so much more capable on open maps. From a performance standpoint, it doesn't make sense to hope you dodge these problems in your KV-5 when you can sacrifice a little of your T7/8 clubbing capability to gain much more viability against T8/9s.

When the KV-5 works, it makes you feel badass - bulldozing people while you drill them with your high DPM 107 feels great. The whole tank is built to either make you feel like either the hulk or big bird. The SP, on the other hand, is overpowered. "Overpowered" is a real hard trait to overcome.

I find that in pubs 99% of KV5s are nothing short of braindead and basically just free HP pinatas 

though driven right it is a whole bundle of fun fuck fucking prock though, a non top tier game on prok in your kv5a giant fuck you

I just can't get this tank to work. It just feels like a slow XP pinata. The frontal armor seems utterly awful considering how much mobility and traverse is sacrificed for it. I'm well aware of the massive frontal weakspot and the cupola weakspot, but even when I reverse sidescrape to hide to former and minimize exposure of the latter, I get lolpenned right through the turret by IS-3 AP and the like. How is the armor supposed to be good when half of the turret can be penned so easily?

From what I've observed the KV-5 performs well in isolated situations that demand rushing a limited number of enemies (usually 2-3 at most) and attracting fire from them hoping they don't hit a lolautopen area while its teammates clean them up. But in brawly corner-fighting situations which happen much more often I enjoy the IS-6 more with its more symmetrical armor and superior speed.

~2 cents from a blue shitter

For me, it was a great tank. Now, even reds knows where to shoot. RIP radioman.

Mine just collecting dust.

It has it's moments (ie great MM on a nice city map like himms or ensk), but it also really vulnerable to just being flat out underprotected against many tanks that it will see (TDs dont give a fuck about your armor, most HTs are more than capable of hitting weakspots, most meds can circle you, arty will make you want to rage sell it). 

It's a gimmick tank, and pretty much it. 

I actually bought it and had a very mixed session (but mind you, only 5 games). It seems that this tank is hilarious when it works and utterly horrible when it doesn't. Consequentially, I contacted WG and told them I'd withdraw from my purchase.

As said above - city map, top tier, no arty or simply a downhill slope all lead to great battles. 3 arties per side, open maps or well-driven t9 platoons, however, are bound to be a real problem because you are big and fat. The armor works great tho, I've found to bounce a crap ton of shells when running around at a 35-40° angle depending on whom I am fighting against - moreover the mobility is really good and due to the elevated position of the gun, 167 pen seems much better than the IS-6's 175mm. Finally, the DPM is really good. (But but - only 5 games.)

The credit making also seems very good but given that you already have a SP & FCM, there seems to be little point in paying almost 40€ for a tank that's not much fun with the current number of arties around.

Just checking in here to say that the KV-5 is definitely, definitely worth buying. Probably my favourite tank in the game.

The KV-5 has the best Tier 8 WRs for a reason (not counting IS-5/T95E2 that only went to good players).  It's a beast.  The armor is awesome and hitting weak spots is trickier than you might think if the tank is moving.  Even if you get hit, you have a massive HP pool.  The weight is awesome.  I had a match in Fjords yesterday.  A T-25/2 was camping the southwest peninsula, I sat and shot him to pieces while he bounced off me.  Unknown to me, their arty was in town and snuck up behind me.  Unfortunately for him, I was juking a little and backed into him- 150 damage.  He then shotgunned my REAR armor, did virtually no damage to me and blew himself up!  Classic KV-5.

TD's ignore your armor?  Tell that to the SU-152, ISU-152, and Borsig that I bounced that match (about 50% of the time I bounce their shots).

Then only problem with the tank is that here in NA you get guys like Mort, Kewei, Rexxie, etc. running up really high damage scores making those marks a challenge to get.  Mort, stop playing the damn tank or post some replays for us lesser KV-5ers to learn from!