FlorbFnarb

Adding RAM - easy and cheap performance boost for WoT?

I'm playing on a potato Toshiba laptop from 2007 with 2GB RAM.  I can't justify doing anything extensive to the machine at this point, so I'll build something in the future...but would increasing the RAM be a cheap, easy and quick way to significantly boost WoT performance?  Would it increase framerates, or just load-in times?

Or is the GPU a likely bottleneck, and adding RAM wouldn't do much?

The computer is a Toshiba X205, the processor is an Intel Core2 Duo CPU T7100, running at 1.8 GHz.  32 bit Windows 7.

Would adding RAM to this do anything, or is the rest of the machine so weak that adding RAM will have a negligible effect?

Edited by FlorbFnarb

If you currently play WoT with a web browser and other applications open, then adding more RAM will definitely help. Especially when browsers like Chrome or FF use a lot of RAM by itself. It's less so on WoT's RAM usage because it likes to load stuff from the HDD while you play.

I always close Chrome before playing WoT, specifically because Chrome tends to om nom all available RAM.

If adding RAM will help WoT itself, I'll have to try that.  It couldn't cost much and it should be easy enough, I would think, even on a laptop.

It will still help WoT, since now your system processes has more breathing space. Your laptop's limit might only be 4GB though.

WOT aside, unless it's an obsolete/obsolescent system where the parts are past cheap and swinging toward expensive/"collectable", RAM is always a cheap upgrade.

Most laptops (netbooks excluded) have space for 2 compact ram sticks, which means as long as you're running an os to support it and can buy the amount in 2 sticks then it should work in your laptop.

I'd open up the laptop chassis and take a look before buying anything

I'll do that.  Been forever since I upgraded the RAM in anything, never done it in a laptop, but it should be pretty obvious.

I'll have to edumacate myself on types of RAM though.  I could easily see myself buying some kind of RAM that isn't compatible with my system, somehow.  I have just enough knowledge to be dangerous.

I'll have to edumacate myself on types of RAM though.  I could easily see myself buying some kind of RAM that isn't compatible with my system, somehow.  I have just enough knowledge to be dangerous.

There is software that interrogates the board, and will tell you what is in there, and how much it can take.

I use "PCwizard", which will tell you way way more than you really need to know, but it's free, and fairly small.

really its just as easy to open it up, pop the ram stick (or sticks) out and have a look.

if its DDR2 and you have 2 slots, max you can go is 4GB. if its DDR3, you can take it up to 16GB, though I doubt its DDR3. 

Hopefully 4GB will be enough to boost performance.

Both HDs are largely full too, which is undoubtedly not ideal.

have you defragged them recently? might want to do that as well. 

This game is hilariously CPU limited. I don't imagine you'll see too big of an increase unless you're struggling for RAM already with your daily processes, and in which case you should upgrade RAM regardless

It's only been a couple weeks, I think.  Also, the HDs aren't large at all.  C: drive has 6.61 GB free out of 110 GB, D: has 26.2 GB free out of 111 GB.  Very full.  I poke around now and then to find things to uninstall that I don't need, but they're getting few and far between.

It's only been a couple weeks, I think.  Also, the HDs aren't large at all.  C: drive has 6.61 GB free out of 110 GB, D: has 26.2 GB free out of 111 GB.  Very full.  I poke around now and then to find things to uninstall that I don't need, but they're getting few and far between.

hmm, most HDDs start performing pretty bad at over 90% capacity. its always a good idea to leave at least 10% capacity of your HDDs, it will help performance.

if you can, go delete some shit off the first one. (check the Updates folder in WoT/War thunder etc if you don't already, the first time I cleared that out I instantly gained 50GB of space, and you don't need any of it after the game has patched) clear out your recycle bin, downloads folders, etc.

if you can't clear anything then move a couple files to the second one until you have 10GB of space on the first 

If you have the time and the discs, I'd yank the C drive, drop in a new one and reinstall the OS/drivers. 

That's why I like keeping the C drive "light". If it's not for critical operations it goes on externals.

Asassian7 is dead on about the drive crunching all the time when they get near cap.

Just deleted stuff off the C: drive, so I have over 12 GB free now.  We'll see if that improves performance.  The thing came largely filled when I bought it.  A bunch of crap preinstalled by Toshiba, mostly, but I don't really know what's what.

WoT I already installed on the C: drive, only about 12MB in the Updates folder, I think it was.  Only like 5 files.

Yeah, culling preinstalled bloatware/crapware was another large part of a former job.

That shit got really ridiculous for a time.