Orlunu

Retarded, unbelievable planes!

Nope, it's not a balance thing.  It's that I want WG to stop doing silly shit like using high altitude heavy interceptors as dive bombers.

Since I know that it's nearly impossible to get through to the devs, I came to attention-whore for my official forum topic here.  More posts = (slightly) more chance for it to get passed on up the chain by Ectar or someone. \o/

Go post something.  If you know anything about US naval aviation, help with suggesting any needed improvements for that side of things.

"For about 15 minutes" video is exactly 15:00.

English might not be my first language, but the fact that this about is there annoys me more than it should.

"For about 15 minutes" video is exactly 15:00.

English might not be my first language, but the fact that this about is there annoys me more than it should.

He says some other stuff first, so he tells him to "do it" for less than the full 15. D:

While we're on the topic of planes, from /vg/:

>tier 4: 126 (IJN A2N2) vs 115 (USN F6C-1)
>tier 5: 134 (IJN A4N) vs 127 (USN F4B)
>tier 6: 146 (IJN A5M2) vs 125 (USN F3F)
>tier 7: 143 (IJN A6M2) vs 147 (USN F4F3) Zero has a lower cruising speed than A5M2
>tier 8: 157 (IJN A7M1) vs 146 (USN F4U) Corsair has lower cruising speed than Wildcat
>tier 9: 162 (IJN J7W1) vs 160 (USN F8F)
>tier 10: 174 (IJN J8N1) vs 180 (USN F2H)

>USN only faster at tier 7 and 10
>implication for the Dogfighting Expert skill is that slower planes will turn better allowing for more damage output in a turnfight
>this basically means that US planes are better at turnfighting than Japanese ones
>which is a complete reversal of commonly accepted historical fact

I know Wargaming titles are only "inspired" by history but I think not even WG would put in a 40 km/h Maus for balancing reasons...

tier 4: 126 (IJN A2N2) vs 115 (USN F6C-1)
tier 5: 134 (IJN A4N) vs 127 (USN F4B)
tier 6: 146 (IJN A5M2) vs 125 (USN F3F)
tier 7: 143 (IJN A6M2) vs 147 (USN F4F3) Zero has a lower cruising speed than A5M2
tier 8: 157 (IJN A7M1) vs 146 (USN F4U) Corsair has lower cruising speed than Wildcat
tier 9: 162 (IJN J7W1) vs 160 (USN F8F)
tier 10: 174 (IJN J8N1) vs 180 (USN F2H)

USN only faster at tier 7 and 10
implication for the Dogfighting Expert skill is that slower planes will turn better allowing for more damage output in a turnfight
this basically means that US planes are better at turnfighting than Japanese ones
which is a complete reversal of commonly accepted historical fact

Here it is in readable color

Also it seems like stock langley fighters vs upgraded langley fighters is no contest. I saw all of my team's fighter planes get ripped up nearly instantly

Edited by Evelyn

I'm more worried about the Catapult Fighters:

Tough as heck, and has unlimited ammo.

It's only a single plane, so wouldn't DPS be much lower than a fighter squadron?

Exactly, then you watch it murder a squadron of bombers then realize something is wrong.

But... bombers cannot fight back.

Unless you're meaning the catapult fighter kills things faster than a squadron of fighter planes of a similar tier CV? If so.. I gotta get a catapult plane.

But... bombers cannot fight back.

Unless you're meaning the catapult fighter kills things faster than a squadron of fighter planes of a similar tier CV? If so.. I gotta get a catapult plane.

It kills things faster, and bombers can fight back.

It kills things faster, and bombers can fight back.

^^^ this. Also I've seen a fighter squadron off a Hiryuu get fucked by a single floatplane fighter off a New Orleans... 4 vs 1, floatplane wins. Ok WG. As if we need more discouragement to use IJN fighters (currently utter useless shit unless T9 ATM). 

On the topic of planes, anyone else disturbed by the fact that monoplane fighters are slower than a fucking police interceptor? 

Or how biplanes can cruise at Hatchback compact speeds? 

like holy shit these planes are slow. I understand the need to make then not cross-map pwnage machines, but when a JET AIRCRAFT can potentially get overtaken by a propellor-driven bomber (dem skills)... You know something is off. 

Not to mention none of the propellor-powered planes in this game go faster than modern commercially available sports cars.

the speed scales are a bit off ATM.  for the most part, take all speeds and multiply by ~5 to get the speed compared to the actual ingame distance scale.

the speed scales are a bit off ATM.  for the most part, take all speeds and multiply by ~5 to get the speed compared to the actual ingame distance scale.

Wait. 

Then are you telling me that we currently have propellor planes that are breaking the sound barrier???  (J7W1, 162 knt -> 186.4 mph * 5. = 932 MPH)

The actual shit. That explains how I've been averaging 50+ miles of traveling per game in even a battleship (averaging 150 mph per 20 minute session... ._. ) 

Wow the scales are all wacky and off then. Feels like the size of everything at least tripled too, since at those speeds i'd be flying past normal-sized docks ( found on some maps)

Edited by Flametz

Different question: which bombers have rear gunners?

Wait. 

Then are you telling me that we currently have propellor planes that are breaking the sound barrier???  (J7W1, 162 knt -> 186.4 mph * 5. = 932 MPH)

The actual shit. That explains how I've been averaging 50+ miles of traveling per game in even a battleship (averaging 150 mph per 20 minute session... ._. ) 

Wow the scales are all wacky and off then. Feels like the size of everything at least tripled too, since at those speeds i'd be flying past normal-sized docks ( found on some maps)

ships are also like 3x the size too.  Gotta love how they mess with stuff.  Though it's understandable why they did it.  I doubt many would play if it took 2 hrs for a single battle.

are you talking about japanese carrier ship? is japanese planes better than usa planes??

i thought this game is pretty accurate detail in WWII

are you talking about japanese carrier ship? is japanese planes better than usa planes??

i thought this game is pretty accurate detail in WWII

Japanese planes are almost always worse than the USN counterparts (minus dive bombers), especially at high tiers.

What the Japanese does have over the Americans is a spam-oriented loadout (think Soviets, winning wars by throwing enough shit at the wall until some stick)... and that's about it. The fighters are pure garbage (Zeroes in this game are a fucking joke as they regularly get fucked over by biplane fighters), torp bombers have awful spreads and lower dmg, dive bombers... well they're fast.

Basically, atm the Japanese are quantity over quality (the fuck? Japan didn't have bottomless resources to draw from), and the Americans are quality over quantity (they had a buttfuckton of planes to throw at the Japanese where are my spam loadouts)

Edited by Flametz

In a nutshell, USA planes were built to be survivable, Japanese planes were built to be nimble and long ranged. In WW2 Japanese pilots still liked 1v1 combat due to the ability of the A6Mx to outclimb and out turn the American fighters of the time. If you could get a 3-5 second burst into a Zero, it was pretty much done, very fragile. If the Zero was out of cannon shells (they only had about 60), an F4F could probably take a 30 second burst from a Zero cause their MGs were pretty light and the Wildcats were pretty well armored.

The americans in the latter half of 1942 we pulling together their team tactics and the Japanese never adapted, even late in the war, they always fought as individuals.

Cruisers carrying 'float fighters' is pretty dumb, since they really never did. The USA kingfisher could be blown out of the air with a couple blasts from a 12 gauge shotgun, it was a light, brittle plane. The IJN planes were better, decently agile (for floatplanes) and semi-tough. The idea of ANY float plane being able to compete with a squad of carriers planes is pretty silly.

If a floatplane could somehow get behind and stay behind a Zero, yeah it could probably shoot it down....but that is so unlikely as to be impossible.

I don't know what the formulas are, but F4F behind Zero, all Zeros go down.  Zero behind F4F, not all F4F go down...but it would appear there is nothing in there to take account of how relatively difficult it was to shoot down the Zero, at least when it they had competent pilots which ended about the end of the 1942.

According to in-game logic, American fighters are more agile and maneuverable than Japanese fighters in almost every tier.

Basically, there's no point in using Japanese fighters. Inferior in almost everything that matters when it comes to air-to-air combat.

That's not too far off accurate once the F6F-5 was put into production... the A7M2 ('Sam") was slightly more maneouverable (it had automatic combat flaps and better wing loading) and a little bit faster...but now the Hellcat had an advantage in rate of climb...very little actual data about the A7M's turning ability as none of them got into combat, although Saburo Sakai felt he could fly ascending circles around a hellcat of mustang...but talk is cheap, even from an ace