canadiantrex

which tier 7 should I get? T25/2 or T29

I just got the T25/2, and holy cow.  It's the hardest tank I've ever played without spamming gold.  It's not significantly faster than the T29, but it has way less armor and firepower.  If you're having trouble with the T29, you'll really feel the pain with the T25/2, I bet.

I love the T29.

It's fun to be top tank in a Tier 5-7 battle, and go hull down, on, Karelia, perhaps, or on HImmelsdorf behind the one building... if you allow only your turret to show, you will have Steel Wall to spare.  As top, or near top tank, it can be trollish vs Tier 5 and 6.  However, don't show your sides, or lower front hull... the fun may come to a quick end if you do that...

I own both tanks.  The T25/2 is a Jackson on steriods and its fun, I really enjoy it.  

Now the T29.  If you are top tier in any match you are going to hulk smash everything. Everything.

When I was running my Jumbo, I hated the derp gun and ran with the M1A2 making hull down not an option.  But if you liked the hull down tactics, the T29 is the hull down king and while the Jumbo derp was crazy inaccurate with low pen, the T29 has high damage and pen.  Also there is no bad map for this tank, any map with hills is great because of your awesome gun depression and you can find rumble or some way to hide your lower tank on all the city maps. 

T29 still holds my highest average xp record (normalized) sitting at over 688.

It's so goddamned OP it isn't even funny.

When top you can bully low tiers using your hull armor (yeah, scratch KV1Ss and ARLs the hull WILL bounce), and use a mix of semi-hulldown, wiggling and sidescraping to shrug off the hevier-caliber guys.

If you find yourself in a tier 8 game... Happiness! More HP to farm damage  :thumbup:

Tier 9 is a bit trickier because of the (un)accuracy of the gun, you can't exactly support from afar or you'll miss EVERY. SINGLE. TIME. So you have to be a bit more careful.

Just for the lulz: i ended pin a tier 8 game yesterday at Steppes encounter, managed to get under the medium ridge with 2 TDs covering me. Crap, i didn't stop firing for a SINGLE second that game. 3 minutes of continuous fire. If not for a (very) lucky IS3 (my shells kept going "nope" about actually hitting where i was aiming) that game would have been about 6.5k damage. It was 5k, but still  :thumbup:

I run the big fucker with a medium setup (Rammer, Optics, VStab) and a scrub crew (sadly) because his original one sits his ass in a confy E5 now. You REALLY want to abuse that 390 base vierange, you can go hulldown or semi-hulldown in an advanced position and do a double area denial through both vision control and armor barring... Awesome.

Wait for the Malinovka standard battle in the houseless side. Go in the trench and wait for the lulz.

Once the enemy team got slaughtered so fast one of the enemy players went "WTF? How is this happening?!" One of ours told him "We have good scout" and he said back "But there's no scout in your team!". My teammate said then "Silly you. I mean our T29" (Me). Died of laughter.

Those hold my all-time record (1599 then 1623 and 1675 in the T29, and a 1678 which is my all time best in the T32; all values are normalised non-premium).

Get the T29, have fun

I bought the T25/2. rage sold it. after 80 games. (well not rage sold, more of a "arrggh! this thing is so useless at everything! kind of sold)

its one of those tanks that tries to do everything, and it can. just not very well. then gun soft stats on it are excellent though. just the rest of the stats are sub par. 

I bought the T25/2. rage sold it. after 80 games. (well not rage sold, more of a "arrggh! this thing is so useless at everything! kind of sold)

its one of those tanks that tries to do everything, and it can. just not very well. then gun soft stats on it are excellent though. just the rest of the stats are sub par. 

Ignorance is bliss for me.  I guess since I don't have first hand experience in the other nation's TDs its hard for me to make a comparison.  The T25/2 and the T25 AT are essentially the same so I enjoy them both.  They both seem fine, but they are both not the carry hard monster that the T29 is.

Ignorance is bliss for me. I guess since I don't have first hand experience in the other nation's TDs its hard for me to make a comparison. The T25/2 and the T25 AT are essentially the same so I enjoy them both. They both seem fine, but they are both not the carry hard monster that the T29 is.

T25 AT has a 105 though, which makes a huge difference.

T25 AT has a 105 though, which makes a huge difference.

It does, you are right.  If both tanks have the perfect camping spot the T25 AT is the superior tank.  The T25/2 can flex more and in an emergency can defend itself much better and that really does not show up on a stats page.  I can't look up my performance stats for those tanks right now, but I think they are just about exactly the same between the two tanks with equal games played between the two. 

This is going to sound bizarre coming from the trees with the T40, T49 and Hellcat...but these are the best TDs I've ever played.  I think its more my crews are now starting to perform and my understanding of the game is getting better but if these are the worst TDs, then I am one happy camper...err...literally in this case.

That being said, if I start a game and other side has three T29s as top tanks and my side has three T25/2s as top tank I know that I am about to be the belle of the ball in a prison style group love making session.

That being said, if I start a game and other side has three T29s as top tanks and my side has three T25/2s as top tank I know that I am about to be the belle of the ball in a prison style group love making session.

Nice symile.

The T25/2 has a couple of advantages over the T25AT, it's at least a workable tank.

It got:

- Better viewrange, coupled with a turret (camo and binocs, wonderful)

- Better accuracy

- Better gold shells (slight increase in penetration coupled with the accuracy)

Imho it's much better to be in a T25/2 when bottom tier. You'll be spamming gold anyway, so heck, at least those gold shells are good and not meh-ish.

Otherwise, well, the T25AT is just superior

That's hardly a fair comparison though. Assuming typical pubbies you'd be pretty fucked with three top tier T20s, Comets, SU-122-44s, Jagdpanthers or what-have-you against three T29s. Maybe three post-patch Tigers, but even that's iffy. And pubbies are worse than usual in the T25/2, carrying over their "it has turret so I must suicide scout" mentality from the T49 and Hellcat.

Nice symile.

The T25/2 has a couple of advantages over the T25AT, it's at least a workable tank.

It got:

- Better viewrange, coupled with a turret (camo and binocs, wonderful)

- Better accuracy

- Better gold shells (slight increase in penetration coupled with the accuracy)

Imho it's much better to be in a T25/2 when bottom tier. You'll be spamming gold anyway, so heck, at least those gold shells are good and not meh-ish.

Otherwise, well, the T25AT is just superior

The T25/2 also has a turret that can reliably bounce tier 10 guns. In my experience the turret is nearly as good frontally as the T29's, but with a zero damage roof hitbox people still shoot at instead of a commander's hatch weak point. And a turret with that ridiculous bullshit mantlet makes the 10 degree depression even better.

Well, actually it's still better to just not be seen at all. Hulldown is an option, but really, you DON'T want to be hit. Also, the 0-dmg crit turret roof becomes a sinkhole for high-caliber HE shells in my experience. They go down there like water down a drain, and hurt you BAD, even moreso because you have a sparse HP pool and you absolutely cannot allow any waste if you want to be alive when it really matters (late game and end game).

Well, actually it's still better to just not be seen at all. Hulldown is an option, but really, you DON'T want to be hit. Also, the 0-dmg crit turret roof becomes a sinkhole for high-caliber HE shells in my experience. They go down there like water down a drain, and hurt you BAD, even moreso because you have a sparse HP pool and you absolutely cannot allow any waste if you want to be alive when it really matters (late game and end game).

It is indeed, but the T25/2 is more durable in tier 9 games than any other tier 7 TD I've played (I haven't played the AT 7). It's not like having a bullshittium mantlet that bounces 704s means you're honor-bound to let the enemies shoot it.

The gap in the roof that lets HE full-pen your turret is the worst thing, Wargaming shouldn't cave in to the HE-firing E-75 drivers like that.

I'm going to post the tank comparisons when I get home, but I'd take the AT over the /2.

I think the comparison should be ran with regular rounds not premium; the normal tankster is going to be shooting non-premium.

You realistically can't compare the T29 to the T25/2 can you? One is a beast the other is a burden.

Tank compare for T25 AT v T25/2

http://tank-compare.com/compare/t25-at/t252#T1=55I17I32I69I103&T2=68I45I32I82I103

Tank compare for T25 AT v T25/2 v T29

http://tank-compare.com/compare/t25-at/t252/t29#T1=55I17I32I69I103&T2=68I45I32I82I103&T3=26I24I19I30I108

Of note... the gun on the T25 AT and T29...same.

Let's put it this way: since WG now factors gold rounds into balancing, and since the people who come here ultimately aim to be MUCH better than the "average tanker", gold rounds are a very important factor in evaluating tanks.

Let's say the American 90mm APCR shells are amongst the most reliable gold shells i've ever used. The 105mm ones though... They get BS-bounces much more often, or at least that's what i percieved.

A little necro here, but on topic.

So I got the T29. Upgraded the tracks, upgraded the turret finally yesterday. Had the 90MM from the M6. Run gold on demand.

29% w/r. I just can't seem to get into position fast enough to do much of anything.

Do the engine upgrades really make that much of a difference, or am I just bad at this tank?

I'm trying to play it basically like the T1 (53% but my highest WN7 tank ever) and M6 (61% basically 5th highest WN7 ever), but just not having much luck in my first 31 games.

100% crew, but only halfway through first skill which is 6th/all repair.

I'm going to do the obvious stuff tonight (replays, wiki etc.) but I really wasn't prepared to suck so thoroughly in this tank right off the bat.

Any little tips and tricks you guys can think of that won't be obvious through study?

I know to hull down, but need to practice with this turret (omg bouncy bouncy!!! lol) but what else makes the T29 the beast everyone else seems to be able to bring out in her?

A little necro here, but on topic.

So I got the T29. Upgraded the tracks, upgraded the turret finally yesterday. Had the 90MM from the M6. Run gold on demand.

29% w/r. I just can't seem to get into position fast enough to do much of anything.

Do the engine upgrades really make that much of a difference, or am I just bad at this tank?

I'm trying to play it basically like the T1 (53% but my highest WN7 tank ever) and M6 (61% basically 5th highest WN7 ever), but just not having much luck in my first 31 games.

100% crew, but only halfway through first skill which is 6th/all repair.

I'm going to do the obvious stuff tonight (replays, wiki etc.) but I really wasn't prepared to suck so thoroughly in this tank right off the bat.

Any little tips and tricks you guys can think of that won't be obvious through study?

I know to hull down, but need to practice with this turret (omg bouncy bouncy!!! lol) but what else makes the T29 the beast everyone else seems to be able to bring out in her?

Eliting it is key, but I never considered it especially mobile.  The T29 is kinda sorta the bottom line I accept in terms of mobility; I did alright with my KV-1 but it fell below that T-29 minimum mobility line, so I sold it after researching the KV-1S.  The T1 and M6 just play entirely differently. The T1 when top tier simply rushes around mauling about anything it sees, and when bottom tier is fast enough to flank well and shoot the sides of higher tier tanks with an effective pen and DPM.  The M6 is the master of the vertical terrain peekaboom.  Just as the KV-1S tends to find a corner, pull out just a bit, aim, fire, retreat behind the corner to reload, the M6 pulls up just enough to be hull-down over a shallow rise, aims quickly, fires accurately, retreats just a bit for reload, then repeats.

The T29 tends more to find a good semi-forward hull-down spot, and it can be fruitful to actually stay exposed to bait people into shooting your turret and to employ alpha intimidation; if people see you pointing their way then they don't wanna assume you aren't loaded.  Be careful if you're in the absolute front, though, because falling back can be a bit awkward, especially if not elited.

The T29 has acceptable mobility, no more, while mobility is actually one of the strong points of the T1 and M6.  You have to adjust your play accordingly.

The best way would be to upload some of your replays and let them be criticised. As of now we can't help you too much since we do NOT know how you play the thing :)

The key thing to remember about the T29 is that you need to adjust your play to a tank much slower than its predecessors that trades speed and small profile for armor, armor, armor, and some more armor. Ah, and a bit of armor.

You need to analise the maps and locate a couple of positions on each one where you can go to at start and be effective. For example: Himmelsdorf Encounter mode from southern spawn, your best call is not climbing all the way to the hill top but staying at the "back", next to those piles of rubble before the hill proper, and dish out a BIG pain from there.

Malinowka, standard mode from the homeless spawn, you can go down into the trench and (if you mounted optics, which you SHOULD have) spot the enemy team by moving along the trench, while still being hulldown. If there aren't too many tier 8 TDs (2 is the hard maximum) in the enemy team you can stay there till your allies have whittled down the number of tanks in the enemy base then charge through the field by taking the LT road (far right of the field) and get into the enemy base.

Sand River, you can plug the whole upper right corner of the map bye going to the usual fighting spot between the dunes: stay there and go hulldown until you can, then turn around and use the dune itself to cover your hull from people in A0 and kill them all.

Remember that the T29 will gain a fair amount of acceleration when elited, but it will NOT be, by any standard, fast. Don't overextend, don't be alone, don't stay in the open for long, keep moving to avoid SPG fire, abuse your excellent viewrange (390 base value), and, most of all, DON'T GO WHERE YOU CAN'T GO IN TIME. If you learn where you CAN and where you CANNOT go at the start of the game, you're already halfway through Pr0ness ;)

I can say the Tiger is definitely the equal of the T29. High DPM, slightly higher pen, much higher accuracy, and somewhat higher speed, while the T29 has better depression, alpha, and armor, especially on the front turret and front hull.

I'm considering picking up an IS when I accumulate the funds, but I have concerns about it overall. Taking a KV-1S, boosting its rate of fire a bit, removing some speed and giving it a minor armor buff relative to its tier...I dunno. The alpha is still high but not nearly as high at Tier 7 as it was at Tier 6, and the pen goes from good at Tier 6 to being actually low for a heavy at Tier 7.

Thanks for all the input guys. I'm doing a little better in it, but still don't have the engine upgrades. Mostly it comes down to seeing how far I can get in my mind's eye on each map. This is one of the slowest tanks I've ever played, so my mental "range per unit time" is broken still. I can't get where I feel like I need to be, when I need to be there so my mojo is still thrown off pretty badly.

I'm working on adjusting it and finding the good spots to work the tank from where I can realistically reach by the time the engagement begins.

I'll play a few dozen more games in it to fix what I know I'm doing wrong, then I'll upload some to get feedback on the finer points.

Florb, the IS is a fine tank. I still have mine and play it occasionally, and manage to win consistently in it; but it's not as good as the Tiger or the T29 in my limited experience with both.

The Tiger has the DPM, decent armor at range... hell you know what it has; I've seen your love-it posts.

The T29 is lolturret. Once I can figure out how to place it on the battlefield, I can feel true trollage happening.

Even though the IS is one of my outlier tanks (I completely outperform my own standards in it) I never got that feeling driving it like I do now with both the Tiger and the T29.

The IS is essentially a giant slow medium with semi-scary alpha. A great tank and worth owning and playing, but I doubt that it's going to change your tanking life.

http://wotreplays.com/site/376818#fjords-derpinator2013_eu-t29

So this is the replay you posted in the fame thread, I finally had time to have a look at it last night. To be honest I don't know what you were trying to achieve. You drove your tank in the open straight into us up north with your hull clearly exposed, then you turned your turret to the right to look at tanks that were not an immediate danger to you, this negated your frontal turret armor and gave us an even bigger area to shoot and pen. After you died you told your team something along the lines of "wtf team?" "T29 is only OP when its hulldown", its not their fault you yolo'd into 4 tanks with your hull exposed, what do you want them to do? Have one of them park in front of you so you can hull down on their wreck? Its your responsibility to get yourself into the hull down positions. I know you can do better than that :)

Can anyone add to this? I watched this late last night and can't remember it well, also not in the position to watch it right now either.

Derp you should post some replays for people to watch, I will try scribble on some maps indicating good hull down spots when I have the time.