I'm sure that this a bit too general but one trend I'm noticing in my replays, especially in my Russian heavies, is that I am dying to backfield TD's after the flank I've been working breaks and I move forward to follow through. I'm getting better about conserving my health and so on but I keep getting ripped apart in the late game. I'm sure there's a lot of factors that go into this. However what are those factors I need to be considering so I can avoid getting mauled while still being effective? What should the general plan be after a flank goes down?

It depends on a map and other factors. Nevertheless, TD positions are quite well known.

Usually it's better to go back instead of pushing forward. Reach out to your other team mates and work with them.

For example on Redshire, you don't want to come out on G9, that's just suicide in certain conditions.

Oh and as you probably know, Russian heavies are blind, that's another reason not to push without someone else spotting.

p.s. Might be useful http://wotguru.com/category/map-strategy/

bandicam-2013-03-19-12-23-46-129.jpg

Russian heavies need to come with a stick and sunglasses. :P   And a lot of spots I know not to get within sight of, like the northwest corner of Fishmen's Bay. 

This is super helpful! It's basically like locating the "negative spaces" in a painting.   Sorry I'm a lib arts major, it's how I think.

Usually it's better to go back instead of pushing forward. Reach out to your other team mates and work with them.

This is true most of the time. Better to save your health and secure your base before making any pushes. Pushes will cost you time (e.g. ducking from cover to cover) and health. So naturally, the factors to consider are:

• How many hits can you afford to take? Will you get shot by a high DPM camper that might perma-track you in the open?
  • How many allies are pushing together with you? Is the push going to be coordinated (where TDs will have multiple targets to shoot instead of your lone wolf effort)?
  • How many backseat campers are you pushing into? How many are accounted for and/or unspotted? 
  • Is the ground you gain from pushing worth trading your health for (e.g. important crossfire locations)?

Sounds like a lot but with experience, you will hopefully be able to optimise your decision making. 

the general consensus here is correct. always help one flank win and then go back and defend on the other site. what is the point to approach the enemies cap any further anyway ? do you want to cap ? if that is the basic thought that this here is already the reason why you don't get better. always go back to defend and you will win a huge amount of games. you can never "out-attack" the enemy, because you team mates will fail defending your cap and you will fail conquering their base.