kunjuro

IT'S FINALLY HAPPENING: Tier X Centurion Action X

OK, so next patch (10.0) the FV4202 will finally be replaced.

The FV itself will be a premium tier 8.  There was talk of people having it already receiving it as a free premium (like the T34) either via a mission or perhaps without anything special.  But nothing anymore.
Perhaps I just missed it?  Any of you have an update on this?

Nope but the FV premium has been there a while int he files and pretty sure the HD model for it was done last year, but is a truly terrible tank on current stats. 

2.5s aim time, sub 1800 DPM, 35 kph top speed, 12 hp/ton, a turret that can be penned by tier 6s, UFP that is about the same around 120mm effective. 230 alpha 

Meh traverse rates.

Standard shells that cost 680 credits. 

Gun depression and 226 AP pen is about all that is positive on this tank. 

Compared to the Cent 1 it has the same DPM, pen alpha etc, then worse gun handling in every category, worse mobility than a tank that goes 40 kph, all round worse armour and even has worse view range.

So no one in their right mind would buy it so giving it away is the least they can do with a pig like that. 

Sadly it's true. if the stats stay (and most likely they will), we effectively get something that's inferior to Centurion 1 in every possible way. With full matchmaking, of course, and Cent 1 isn't that good to begin with.

Compared to FCM 50t it's not even worth a spit :(

Edited by Yuri_Yslin

Yeah, im wondering what they will do with Fv42 aswell, since the gun is the same as the one of Cent mk1 in terms of dmg / pen, and the Cent mk1 is a total turd, a nerfed down version of it is almost automatically more or less unplayable bad....

Giving it better armor and crap speed, to set it apart from Cent, means you get more or less a Caern, another total turd tank....

The only way i can see this ``working`` is by giving it an L7 with AP shells, 210-220 pen (or whatever) and 390 dmg high pen (120mm) HESH as HE and no gold ammo, this way its kinda unique, and it has some room for balance, but with an 230 dmg 226 pen gun, it will always be either a crappy cent or a crappy Caern, and both tanks s*** d*** alrdy....

ps: this means it has same dmg as T-34-3, with much higher pen and vastly better gun depression, however it has little turret armor, the same (at best) hull armor and its much slower, especially top speed, so this should kinda work (the gun depression of most brits is also ghetto so no problem to give this chinese gun handling), all WG needs to do is show some ``creativity`` and add an AP shell for the L7....

Yeah, im wondering what they will do with Fv42 aswell, since the gun is the same as the one of Cent mk1 in terms of dmg / pen, and the Cent mk1 is a total turd, a nerfed down version of it is almost automatically more or less unplayable bad....

Giving it better armor and crap speed, to set it apart from Cent, means you get more or less a Caern, another total turd tank....

The only way i can see this ``working`` is by giving it an L7 with AP shells, 210-220 pen (or whatever) and 390 dmg high pen (120mm) HESH as HE and no gold ammo, this way its kinda unique, and it has some room for balance, but with an 230 dmg 226 pen gun, it will always be either a crappy cent or a crappy Caern, and both tanks s*** d*** alrdy....

ps: this means it has same dmg as T-34-3, with much higher pen and vastly better gun depression, however it has little turret armor, the same (at best) hull armor and its much slower, especially top speed, so this should kinda work (the gun depression of most brits is also ghetto so no problem to give this chinese gun handling), all WG needs to do is show some ``creativity`` and add an AP shell for the L7....

That would be nice indeed, noone needs a crappy duplicate of already existing tanks. But I kinda don't see it coming, WG seems determined that every mid-tier Brit has to use the annoying 20-pounder.

1. 20pdr is a great gun

2. They did use that gun on a lot of tanks

3. What gun would you propose to replace it and onn what tanks?

Only on Fv42, just name it L7 proto and give it AP shells instead of APCR, nerf pen to 220, IS3 mobility 35 km top speed, good gun depression and fidble with armor / soft stats / dpm to balance it

Part of the issue with the FV 4202 at tier 8 is it has the same gun stats as the Cent I, but with even worse dispersion and armor.  It really only is better in that it's a smaller target, but not small enough to offset all the ways it's worse.

DpR89OQ.png

Turret armor is a little better than I thought.  I'd call it better than the fatton.

UFP is sloped at 57° and the 85.7mm and 95.3mm zones are sloped at 66° and 65° respectively.

I talked about this a bit with applesauce, but, to me, the Action X looks like a very poor tank. You gain a very questionable amount of turret armor and some gun handling, but your UFP armor goes from bounce-everything-except-gold to "lol autoaimed by t9s". The turret doesn't seem that strong, especially because the best place to shoot it includes that 85.7mm armor above the gun - basically you can get penned before your turret gets over a hill. The current 4202's roof armor is ~250mm on flat ground, this one will be ~200mm. The cheeks on the Action X are significantly stronger, but is that really worth giving up your roof armor and swapping out your E-50 esque 270mm upper plate for the T-54's 200-210mm? I don't think so.

Personally I feel like the Action X boils down to "Slightly worse 4202 with HEAT.". Which is kinda sad, 'cause yknow, the 4202 sucks kitty pops.

I sadly have to agree - the turret is still bollocks. A typical TX can just shoot left or right to the gun, and will pen. 200mm can bounce... a low roll of a stray IS-3, but that's about it. You can't angle this turret, and the roof sucks as well and needs full -10 to even bounce anything. On flat ground, 90% of the turret (excluding cheeks which are angled in two dimensions - but are also small and placed at the - duh - edges) is auto-penned. WG calls that "a strong turret"? That's what they promised: "CAX's features will include a strong turret". This is a WEAK turret. WG should finally learn that there's not much difference between 120mm and 200mm at tier X.

The turret has no mantlet, too. So it's just useless, you can cHEAT it without a moment of thought... not that there's any need to, ofc.

And of course, as a final nail to the turret's coffin, there's also a large, weak cupola. Just so AMX 13 75 can pen it with AP frontally in hulldown, you know.

The loss of HESH kills its uniqueness, too.

Edited by Yuri_Yslin

So Brits get IX MT instead of 9,5 MT on X MT place, right? And another NATO tank with super gun depression incapable to use it properly due to terrible turret armor. 

Figured I should make some pretty pictures just so this is all easier to look at.  If someone wants to be more exact, I invite you to go at it, but I'm about to head out so I'll leave that to someone else.  There were some areas that were on the borderline between my two zones, so I just picked what I thought worked best.  I tried to get the pictures of the turrets from mostly the same angle, though they're still a bit off.

These numbers don't include normalization, because fuck that it's too much work.  I figure the better gun handling alone will make the Action X better for hulldown escapades since you  won't have to expose yourself for as long.

h3J79EQ.png

I didn't realize until now just how fuckin small I made that pic.  rip

Also, I should mention that the turret face of the Action X may look a little flat since I made the 198mm section darker so it won't blend with the 152mm part.  Here's some better pics:

KJAJL93.png

zGgYjE0.png

Did they buff the gun dispersion or is it still STB-grade?

A bit better than STB now.  It's 0.14 for the hull and 0.12 for the turret.  That means while the turret dispersion stays the same, hull dispersion is buffed by 0.04.

Fun Fact: The hull dispersion on the FV4202 is worse than the STB-1 by 0.02

So the already crappy FV4202 gets replaced by a tank that has worse dispersion, just as bad if not worse armor, and is much more ugly?
I feel bad for people who enjoy British tanks. It's kind of ironic how they both created tanks as we know them today, then invented main battle tanks, and consistently produce good tanks that have proven themselves in combat... but in WoT, none of that matters.

CAX undoubtedly has worse armor than FV4202 (the turret is actually worse, the hull is much worse). That itself is a surprise, since they promised "a strong turret". Well, they really like looking at raw thickness and not the actual protection, so it was to be expected, I guess.

So the already crappy FV4202 gets replaced by a tank that has worse dispersion, just as bad if not worse armor, and is much more ugly?
I feel bad for people who enjoy British tanks. It's kind of ironic how they both created tanks as we know them today, then invented main battle tanks, and consistently produce good tanks that have proven themselves in combat... but in WoT, none of that matters.

STB has much worse acc, worse aim time as Action X, the penatly for moving and turning are also vastly better on CAX (0.12 vs 0.16), the only problem is that CAX has the same crappy turret penalty...

But all in all the gun handling will be much better, the better base accuracy alone should make a difference and the other penalties are also better (Fv42 has ridiculous much worse hull penalty (0.18, wtf) but a better turret penalty, and same acc / aim time, its faste though, so the gun handling will be about the same as FV i guess, (not sure how much more turret bloom is as hull bloom, since thats very hard to quantify)

STB may not be the best snapshotter, but with a stronger turret, you can easilly take that 0,5 seconds more to aim. CAX will be snapshotted with HEAT anywhere, meaning it lives and dies by snapshots, and those values are still poor for a snapshot-based vehicle, I'm afraid. Leo 1 still seems a better idea.

STB's turret has quite a bit of parts that are 400+ vs. heat, and is small. Going pure snapshot vs. it, you will most likely bounce.

But CAX is super weak vs. HEAT, it will literally pen it everywhere but the gun, so you can pretty safely shoot right of the bat and will most likely pen.

Edited by Yuri_Yslin