Okeano

Shifting away from optics on meds?

As more and more maps become brawling and corridor focused, does it make sense to start replacing optics with vents on meds? It seems vision mechanics are too hard for pubbies, so most, if not all, of new maps as well as update to old maps have been brawling maps. Prokhorovka is next.  

I asked this question about a year ago, and it was almost a solid "no" to replacing

But as the map changes keep coming in place and my own crews get better and better, Im stronghold considering dropping a lot of Optics from tanks and replacing them. Really, if all tier 10 meds would have their VR bumped to 410, it'd be a no-brainer but having at least max VR is a huge help

Increase DPM in a tangible way, or possible increase of effective VR w/ vision?

A large part of the reason why so many corridorcums think vents>optics is because they have no intention of ever going first anyhow.  They will always be firing over their pubbies shoulders from the red line, because that's how you maximize DPG.

But that's not how you maximize wins.

The vision game is largely dead, but there are still enough games where view range can clutch the game that you can't simply ignore it.

I probably run Optics on half my mediums now when it used to be all of them.  What changed is that I generally have high skill crews and I run food on most tanks.  A tank with 400 base view range that has food+vents+BIA+SA+Recon gets 456m view range.  That's a touch lower than I would like, but in many cases is enough to suit - particularly on tier 8 and below tanks where view ranges are lower to begin with.

The vision game is largely dead, but there are still enough games where view range can clutch the game that you can't simply ignore it.

I probably run Optics on half my mediums now when it used to be all of them.  What changed is that I generally have high skill crews and I run food on most tanks.  A tank with 400 base view range that has food+vents+BIA+SA+Recon gets 456m view range.  That's a touch lower than I would like, but in many cases is enough to suit - particularly on tier 8 and below tanks where view ranges are lower to begin with.

Indeed, a max crew skill setup probably trumps an optics based setup, but requires solid crews (4-5 skill) + food. I have the crews, but am too cheap to run straight food...

I looked at it from the reverse perspective.  What you never want to have happen is that a guy can fire at you unseen.  So I wanted to ensure that any tank firing at me would be spotted in return.

445 = max view range

~6.5% = max view range while firing.  (Excludes double bush)

~15% = max camo while moving (T-62A and similar)

So your 456 view range medium can spot any camp sniping tank at 430m.  A medium would need more than 500m view range to spot a moving medium and fire without being lit.  That's practically impossible.  However, tanks like the roomba, 416, light tanks, and more can still camo snipe you well beyond your spotting range.  Bushes also throw that off.

But in general, if I don't intend to use my vision offensively (as a scout), I concluded ~450 is enough to prevent getting vision sniped.  That's why on tanks like the STB, I used vents instead of optics because they get a lot of gain from improving gun handling.  But for communist wedges, that I often use as scouts or multirole fighters, optics are king.

Optics have been dying for a while. There are just too few maps where optics are worthwhile and the extra gun handling from vents is much more valuable. Especially with the changes to some bushes/trees camo values (some bushes have fucking 0 camo value) If you're solo then it might be more worthwhile to take optics just because you need to do everything for your shitter pubbies to get a win. But gun handling seems to be the bigger winner than optics with stacking food+vents. 

Edited by Burdenedfungus

There are only a few tanks that have replaced optics for vents. My E 50M comes to mind since I have a nearly 5 skill crew on it with BIA and vision skills along with food I'm finding that I could get more out of vents than with optics. My Russian meds for now still have optics whether that will change I have no idea, but the majority of meds still have optics.

Optics being important for the late game carries on some of the bigger and more open maps for sure, but vents would probably hold more value in the less open maps where the map is dictated by 3 corridors where you would be able to carry by having a slight boost to DPM and gun handling where that one shot to track and damage the enemy tank could mean a win or loss for you.

I still run optics on my meds to be honest.  If I want the extra DPM boost, I'll run food as well.  At least my view range benefits along with it too.

You may be running into one sided matches all the time, but it's those rare carry hard situations where you need that extra 30-50 meters of view range where that could mean the difference in a win or loss.

I looked at it from the reverse perspective.  What you never want to have happen is that a guy can fire at you unseen.  So I wanted to ensure that any tank firing at me would be spotted in return.

445 = max view range

~6.5% = max view range while firing.  (Excludes double bush)

~15% = max camo while moving (T-62A and similar)

So your 456 view range medium can spot any camp sniping tank at 430m.  A medium would need more than 500m view range to spot a moving medium and fire without being lit.  That's practically impossible.  However, tanks like the roomba, 416, light tanks, and more can still camo snipe you well beyond your spotting range.  Bushes also throw that off.

But in general, if I don't intend to use my vision offensively (as a scout), I concluded ~450 is enough to prevent getting vision sniped.  That's why on tanks like the STB, I used vents instead of optics because they get a lot of gain from improving gun handling.  But for communist wedges, that I often use as scouts or multirole fighters, optics are king.

My standard has long been being able to spot a 5% camo tank at max spotting range - this requires 468m view range.  5% covers almost any tank after firing, most heavies (even when stationary), and a lot of TDs on the move (some are more in the 6-7% range).  So I usually figured having 460-470m view range in any semi-scouty tank was useful (all mediums, lights, and even some heavies).

Of course, that was with old map design.  Now, outside of Malinovka, early vision will almost never win the game outright like it used to.  Bushes have been nerfed both in the camo they provide, the quantity, and the location.  All the starting engagement points now are "close" range where you don't need the view range.  Vision doesn't become significant until the fights break out of those areas into some of the large open areas that still exist.  Then a tank with good view range and camo can actually come in to play.  By that point, though, you are left hoping that the game hasn't spiraled out of control.

So I'd agree that 450m is a good minimum for any medium tank - any less than that and you can end up losing that extra game or two where your vision could have carried.  I personally still prefer my camo+Optics on mediums that are somewhat stealthy.  Mostly because the vast majority of the WOT player base is garbage at vision (including plenty of "highly skilled" players) so I usually end up having to do it myself.

Tanks I run vents: E-50/M, T69, T54E1, Pershing, Patton, M60

Tanks I run Optics: RU, FR, CH, JP, Brit meds, all light tanks

Tanks I run vents: E-50/M, T69, T54E1, Pershing, Patton, M60

Tanks I run Optics: RU, FR, CH, JP, Brit meds, all light tanks

Similar to me.  Mine are:

Optics:  bat, Ru, 121, leo, amx

vents:  stb, e50m, murican

However, I run optics on T69 since its a relatively great view range scout to its tier.

I started shifting toward vents about 6 months ago when I realized that their static ~2% boost to everything is much more suited to my playstyle than the 10% vision boost granted by optics.  Sniping has always bored me, so the extra viewrange they grant was never really that important to me.

However, I run optics on T69 since its a relatively great view range scout to its tier.

I did that for a while, but recently when I was getting my third mark I switched to GLD because it really helps with getting your clip on target at medium+ ranges.  Optics are still a solid choice though.

My problem with removing vents is the pure fact that meds still require view range above almost anything else. Even in a brawling map, the sheer ability to spot an E-100 before he spots you lets you get out/ shoot/ do whatever you need to.

To do this you would need a pretty skilled crew (4+ skills) to compensate and once again max your veiw range. Though I can see this being done on the M48 without too much of a hassle, all the other meds would need both the view range skill and BiA.

Question: Is it better / even viable to throw GLD on the STB insetad of optics? Does it help the aim time that much, especially in brawling with the newer meta?

Question: Is it better / even viable to throw GLD on the STB insetad of optics? Does it help the aim time that much, especially in brawling with the newer meta?

Nah; most of the time the STB is going to not even want to deal with the aimtime. Snap over to someone, give it a second to avoid desync, shoot. Since you wont be going through your aimtime a ton, there isn't a whole lot to gain from GLD.

I run optics 99% of the time. The exception is the M46 Padton, but I have a solid crew and also use food so that the effective viewrange is 460m+. I wouldn't want to end up in a situation where I can get outspotted easily. If I wouldn't be grinding tanks all the time and in dire need of credits I would probably run food on more tanks and optics would feel like less of a neccessity.

I still run optics on everything.

Some say that 480m VR on my Nazi meds is overkill, but I like having it.  If you ask me, all the talk around corridor meta is over exaggerated, and a majority of maps are still great for playing vision on.

Edited by KnobbyHobbGoblin