Windows 10 updgrade  

122 members have voted

1. 1. When will you upgrade to W10?

• ASAP, no need to wait, I trust MS.
    • I will wait some time with the upgrade after first few monthly bug fixes are rolled out and 3rd party application compatibility fixes solved.
    • dunno
    • What the fuck is windows and who the fuck is still using that piece of shit OS?
  2. 2. Will you upgrade or clean install?

• Upgrade only, dont have no time to reinstall all the shit accumulated over those years.
    • Clean install. I like my windows fresh and nice smelling.

Fondness of software = fondness of fixing problems / amount of frustration produced

I don't mind fixing problems, but the amount of bullshit Win10 has thrown at me is too much. Win7 frustrated me less in 6 years than Win10 did in 6 months, I'm dead serious.

Windows Store Games won't have VSync, SLI/CrossFire, Fullscreen or Modding

Microsoft is looking to cut itself a lion's share of the game digital downloads pie, by making Microsoft Store (which comes included with Windows 10), sell contemporary AAA games, such as "Rise of the Tomb Raider." Unlike other cross-DRM transactions (eg: purchasing a Steam DLC game through UPlay store), Microsoft Store will serve both sales and DRM roles. You must be thinking "it's a free world, always room for more competition," right? Think again. There are several pitfallls to buying "Rise of the Tomb Raider" or any other AAA game through Microsoft Store, as users on Reddit found out.

To begin with, games purchased through Windows Store are built on Microsoft's Universal Apps Platform, and not the conventional desktop-based executable. The game is essentially a "modern UI" app, and not a conventional Windows application. This has great limitations - no NVIDIA SLI or AMD CrossFire support; no real fullscreen mode (just borderless windowed mode or pseudo-fullscreen); and V-sync being always-on. Other major downsides of UAP apps include no support for modding, and mouse macros. What's more, since UAP apps don't have *.exe extensions, you can't add them to Steam, and so no Steam Controller support. The Store in itself doesn't have a good refund policy along the lines of Steam and Origin limited full-refund policies; and you'll never be able to play your games on Windows versions older than Windows 10.

http://cdn.overclock.net/2/2c/2c3428c7_triplefacepalm.jpeg

MS trying to become the next apple

On 26/02/2016 at 8:35 PM, Folterknecht said:

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm: http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2016/02/microsoft-needs-to-stop-forcing-console-like-restrictions-on-windows-store-pc-games/

This is super disappointing. I am looking forward to Killer Instinct on PC (Especially since WB decided to fuck all of us MKX PC owners royally) but it's unfortunate to hear that this shit is real. 

45 minutes ago, Folterknecht said:

Good link. Thanks. Been using Spybot anti beacon for a while now, but not sure if it's doing much. You seem pretty knowledgable on the tech stuff, so do you think the spybot software is still decent, at least currently?

10 hours ago, Driftin said:

Good link. Thanks. Been using Spybot anti beacon for a while now, but not sure if it's doing much. You seem pretty knowledgable on the tech stuff, so do you think the spybot software is still decent, at least currently?

Sorry I can't answer your question - Jerry (the guy from the video) worked at Microsoft (not as janitor) for more than 10 years. If he isn't sure if these kind of programms still work properly ... . I'm more of a hardware guy anyway and a "Win10-refusenik" - long live Win7!!!

What I can tell you is to browse the developer forums of programms like Spybot anti beacon and look for answers there. Furthermore I 'd look into blocking MS servers on your router that are dealing with telemitry - not sure how effective that is. Obviously firewalls that run under Windows will be pretty easy to bypass for MS.

For me I 'm still going with Win7 and will either jump to Win10 Enterprise (there you can turn off all that shit permanently) or go Linux + secondary installation of Windows in the future.