Windows 10 updgrade  

122 members have voted

1. 1. When will you upgrade to W10?

• ASAP, no need to wait, I trust MS.
    • I will wait some time with the upgrade after first few monthly bug fixes are rolled out and 3rd party application compatibility fixes solved.
    • dunno
    • What the fuck is windows and who the fuck is still using that piece of shit OS?
  2. 2. Will you upgrade or clean install?

• Upgrade only, dont have no time to reinstall all the shit accumulated over those years.
    • Clean install. I like my windows fresh and nice smelling.

Will W10 be a real progress or just another "hey guys, we change some minor things" OS? I still wait for advanced folder options (give me option to use tabs or split folder screen), virtual desktops or software repository without installing 3rd party programs.  

Will W10 be a real progress or just another "hey guys, we change some minor things" OS?

Well, straight from Microsoft, it's supposed to be the end point of Windows releases, and all Microsoft hardware (in a broad sense) will eventually run on Windows 10. Rather than making a "Windows 11", they will apparently just release updates and service packs.

It's not going to be buggy... Theres a reason Microsoft has a tech preview for the prior months, so that *everyone* and their mother can check out the OS and report problems. 

It's bound to be at least slightly buggy, but probably no absolute showstoppers. 10162 had quite a few desktop app bugs and print issues, and 10176 is the first RTM candidate already. 

Looks to be a huge new OS. For example, IE is gone, replaced by a browser from the 21st century. Yet to see if it will actually be a good browser, or a Chrome-like bloated ad delivery system, but it's at least not IE. May not be a huge deal for some, but I'm pretty damn happy about tiling four windows at once on a single screen. DX12 is also coming with it. I'm sure there's more but I could care less about all the account syncing and cloud crap.

Edge does a lot of sandbox stuff making Flash vulns a thing for Windows 7 users ;)

Well, straight from Microsoft, it's supposed to be the end point of Windows releases, and all Microsoft hardware (in a broad sense) will eventually run on Windows 10. Rather than making a "Windows 11", they will apparently just release updates and service packs.

For me it doesn't sound optimistic. Somehow I don't trust any declarations of ultimate OS solution.

Looks to be a huge new OS. For example, IE is gone, replaced by a browser from the 21st century. Yet to see if it will actually be a good browser, or a Chrome-like bloated ad delivery system, but it's at least not IE. May not be a huge deal for some, but I'm pretty damn happy about tiling four windows at once on a single screen. DX12 is also coming with it. I'm sure there's more but I could care less about all the account syncing and cloud crap.

After death of Presto engine (RIP Opera 12.12) there is no differences between mainstream web browsers. 

For me it doesn't sound optimistic. Somehow I don't trust any declarations of ultimate OS solution.

Sounds to me like they are planning for a very flexible and compatible system. Nothing wrong with that.

Sounds to me like they are planning for a very flexible and compatible system. Nothing wrong with that.

Yeah, W7 is flexible but after only downloading and installing at least several 3rd party programs like Sunrise Seven. I don't think that Microsoft will change it and will give us OS ready to work without spending days on websites with software. It would be like Uwe Boll making an Oscar-worth movie.

It's not going to be buggy... Theres a reason Microsoft has a tech preview for the prior months, so that *everyone* and their mother can check out the OS and report problems. 

I didnt test it yet - I m happy with Win7 - I m just a regular visitor to several pc-tech forums and have seen every release since Win95 and worked with 3.11.

I leave the beta testing to others.

Edited by Folterknecht

That's not what it means. It's just a different content delivery solution, their OS will work much like many of their business applications and get CU (content upgrade) versions instead. It's sort of a marketing move since every new version of windows is currently a marketing nightmare for MS. 

That's not what it means. It's just a different content delivery solution, their OS will work much like many of their business applications and get CU (content upgrade) versions instead. It's sort of a marketing move since every new version of windows is currently a marketing nightmare for MS. 

It will work like Mac-OS (update wise) as fair as I understood it and clear tendencies are showing, that MS is also trying for a closed eco-system in combination with grabbing as much user data as possible -> personalized ads -> more $

Tech Preview has been out fixing bugs with it fir the last 6-8 months, therefore I am confident it will have none if the issues Win 8 had. So ill be upgrading more or less instantly.

I am actually buying an SSD to install it to when it comes out, its going to be interesting because I also want to uninstall 7 from my current main HDD but keep all my files on it. 

Gotta make sure my parents don't have it set up to upgrade to this automatically, or else my mom is going to be calling me every day for tech support.

I've used everything from XP up through Windows 10, which I'm running right now. Obligatory fuck vista. 

It's the fluidity of Windows 8 minus the useless crap that they bundled with it. Even with an SSD I notice it starts up faster than 8 did and there haven't been any compatibility issues so far. I would recommend the free upgrade to anyone who's eligible for it. 

I actually don't think Vista was all that bad. The only problems I know of are that the system requirements were extremely high, and that drivers had a rough start (which wasn't even Microsoft's fault). The interface was very good, and in fact I consider it better than XP's. The UAC system was very easy to turn off. Once you get past the system requirements, drivers and new layout, it's a fine operating system. I used it for at least 3 years and never wanted to go back to XP.

So is the Windows 10 upgrade comming with an option to do a clean install or are all your "do a clean install" based on creating an image from the win10 upgrade afterwards ?

Nothing the size of an OS has ever been released without bugs, and the tech preview relies on people actually using it to write drivers etc. Plenty of manufacturers are either laissez-faire until a significant portion of their userbase is using a new OS or actively refuses to write drivers for the new OS because it's a chance to sell refreshed hardware (Creative).

After death of Presto engine (RIP Opera 12.12) there is no differences between mainstream web browsers. 

No difference between Chrome, Opera and Safari. MS Edge will still have its own rendering engine and FF still uses Gecko. I don't like this. A lack of alternatives is what led to the IE6 stagnation, and Webkit has its own problems. It's basically the Yngwie Malmsteen of engines: the devs are too busy adding wanky things like 3D CSS transforms to bother with the simple meat and potatoes of rendering text legibly. Chrome didn't get DirectWrite support (ie, bidirectional text anti-aliasing) until 3 years after Firefox, it still used GDI by default until August of last year and discretionary ligatures have always been a mess.

Edit: sorry if I come across cranky, I'm a Browser Wars vet. I've seen some stuff, maaaan...

Edited by woe2you

So is the Windows 10 upgrade comming with an option to do a clean install or are all your "do a clean install" based on creating an image from the win10 upgrade afterwards ?

My "Do a clean install" vote is based on having access to volume licensing services and the ability to download Windows 10 Enterprise iso :party:

Edited by ninz