Windows 10 updgrade  

122 members have voted

1. 1. When will you upgrade to W10?

• ASAP, no need to wait, I trust MS.
    • I will wait some time with the upgrade after first few monthly bug fixes are rolled out and 3rd party application compatibility fixes solved.
    • dunno
    • What the fuck is windows and who the fuck is still using that piece of shit OS?
  2. 2. Will you upgrade or clean install?

• Upgrade only, dont have no time to reinstall all the shit accumulated over those years.
    • Clean install. I like my windows fresh and nice smelling.

It does matter and you, and everyone else, should care. Corporations are the 21st century preachers, and we all know what happened/happens when they have all of your personal life at their disposal. If we don't learn form history we're doomed to repeat it :( .

If I were you, I would worry more about governments. Corporations are easy to understand. Their motives are simple: Make money. You can quite easily follow through on that to determine what practices they would consider to be "good" and "bad".

Governments are far more opaque as they function like corporations with no real bottom-line and little oversight.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 :^)

On the other hand, my multi-monitor setup is just getting fucked by the Windows Update/Nvidia driver conflicts. Uninstalled GeForce experience and I'll just wait this one out. 

I don't have a usb or CD lol

Just installed Win 10 from an usb stick yesterday with a licence from my university. Everthing went smooth, no problems.

Then I copied my WoT folder back onto my SSD and it threw an error at me after launching that I have no DirectX installed (Maybe DX12 is problem for WoT?) :O. So I installed a DirectX runtime from the MS site. The error message vanished but WoT still didn't start so I deleted everything an have do DL it tonight to try a fresh WoT installation. Hope that works then...

Other then that, I am pleased - just have to get used to the new Interface, doh.

F3dPmUs.jpg?1

when trying to run the Windows 10 update thing with the direct download, instead of going through the GWX app

It's trying to tell you something happened.

I don't have a usb or CD lol

Are you installing it on your own computer? If so you don't need one. It basically downloads Windows 10 and installs it for you. 

Alternatively you can have it save an ISO file somewhere and then transfer it to your phone (ghetto USB) and then use that however you want elsewhere. 

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 :^)

On the other hand, my multi-monitor setup is just getting fucked by the Windows Update/Nvidia driver conflicts. Uninstalled GeForce experience and I'll just wait this one out. 

Go to Settings and disable updates other product than Windows to prevent such fuck ups. I saw some article stating it was somehow date related and Win were installing a wrong driver (some older one over the new one it was I think)

Go to Settings and disable updates other product than Windows to prevent such fuck ups. I saw some article stating it was somehow date related and Win were installing a wrong driver (some older one over the new one it was I think)

Forgot to turn that on after the update to the actual version today. Nvidia should sort this out pretty quickly. 

I'm gonna do a clean install to get rid of a lot of garbage that I have collected the last 4 years, and I will do the upgrade as soon as possible- maybe even today. I have Win 7 at the moment. My mother has 8.1 on her laptop, and I will upgrade hers as well.

EDIT: How long did the update take after you got it downloaded and ready to go?

If any of you are using Comodo Firewall it does not work in W10. Hotfix will be available in couple days according to Comodo.

@MissNurkie I have an old asus notebook with a traditional HDD and it took about 2,5 hrs - download completed till 1st boot

After the USB stick was ready, it took me maybe 20 mins to get Win 10 started. Drivers were all ok so I just had to install my fav apps after that.

Edit: Should note that I installed on a SSD.

F3dPmUs.jpg?1

when trying to run the Windows 10 update thing with the direct download, instead of going through the GWX app

I also had this happen. For me the issue was that my system language was set to English (South African) rather than English (United States)

I upgraded one my PCs (for science!) yesterday and had a mini heart attack when part way through the install I didn't get any signal to the screen anymore. Turns out the installation finished rather quickly but didn't like the Nvidia driver anymore and defaulted back to Intel HD. Had to remove the entire driver and install the same fucking driver I just removed to get it working again. Other than that all went fine, just make sure to turn off the Big Brother options.

My upgrade hasn't happened yet. Been getting a really weird error. Bleh, time to clonezilla my drive, wipe and install from scratch I guess :-/

My upgrade hasn't happened yet. Been getting a really weird error. Bleh, time to clonezilla my drive, wipe and install from scratch I guess :-/

You can force it if you want. Google "Media Creation Tool", you can manually start the download/installation.

Okay guys, I think I've got Windows 10 up and running. I have some questions, though...

1. Is there any way to get the Aero Glass style, so that I can get rid of this shitty chalk white on all my windows? MS PLS
  2. Why is it so complicated to unpin an icon from the taskbar?
  3. How do I get Windows to stop asking me for administrator permission when I perform trivial tasks?
  4. Why can't I get my volume icon back?
  5. What the fuck?

You can force it if you want. Google "Media Creation Tool", you can manually start the download/installation.

Oh I did. But I'm getting this really weird Error 0x8007b392 - 0x2009 after the system reboots for the first time. The search results for this error have been decidedly unhelpful, basically coming down to:

• Unplug USB devices (Done, no dice)
  • Uninstall your AV (Done, no dice)

At this point I'm thinking it's more likely that because I'm running a fairly uncommon Windows 7 configuration (Windows 7 x64 on a GPT formatted drive with GRUB 2 loading WindSLIC to mark the system as Genuine, with a linux dual-boot on the side) the Windows 10 installer shits the bed .

I've clonzillaed my drive (Thank god for that, it took about 3 hours to copy 1.6tb to another drive. With straight copy it would have taken the better part of a day or two) and I'm just going to wipe Windows 7, reinstall it in BIOS mode, activate with Daz's loader and then proceed to upgrade to Windows 10 and legitness. People have been having good luck with this ;-) At worst, my Windows 10 isn't genuine and I pay for it in half a years time ;-)

So, I have installed Windows 10. now for yet more problems: when attempting to reinstall the Nvidia Drivers, all I get is an Error message saying that "The Extended Attributes are inconsistent" when opening the exe file.

fuck sakes

Nvidia drivers just aren't playing well with W10 at the moment. I'm getting problems where it doesn't even recognize my card. I don't think my card should be an issue so at this point it has to be the OS.