TeaTime

Seeking Advice for Laptop Purchase

As some of you may know, I'll be heading to the US in about a month for higher studies, and I'd like to have a new laptop handy. I'm not particularly familiar with the field, so I'm looking to every here for some advice.

A few things on my mind right now:

1. Which brands are good for reliability and performance? I don't need something like the bricks I carried during my army days but I'd rather not have something break on the slightest knock either
  2. Does it matter if I purchase the laptop in the US or Singapore? This is a concern for both price (which I think should be about the same) and warranty (is global coverage the norm?)
  3. Performance. I'm looking for a smooth user experience. Preferably something that will not stutter on me on regular use (though that can mean 10 excel sheets, 20 browser tabs and go knows what else in the background) and can potentially be used for light photoshopping and some gaming (looking at i7/i5 Quad core, 8gb of ram, maybe more, and a graphics card that is more than just a nominal feature). This is primarily for school use, though that can still mean some pretty heavy loading given my habits. I don't need 4k or touchscreen.
  4. Profile. In terms of size the standard 15.6 would be pretty nice. I don't care if it's heavy if the package is compact enough to carry.
  5. Budget. I will need a second opinion on this, but something around USD 1.5k seems reasonable at this point. I'll probably be using this for a while, so I'm willing to spend more if necessary.

Thanks to anyone willing to help me out here.

Edited by TeaTime

Because I'm doing the same thing (looking for a new laptop), stay away from alienware because they're really expensive for the same features as everybody else. I've been looking a lot at the MSI laptops. My price point is about 1k so I've been looking at the GP series, and the GP60 fits what you're looking for (I7, 8 gigs of memory, 950M). But if you want to spend what you listed, the GP series is the next step up which has, like, 4 more gigs of ram and the mostly the same features everywhere else. 

The problem with laptops is after about $1k-1.2k you get less impressive features while the price rockets up. i.e. you spend an extra $300 for 4 gigs of ram. If you're looking for a gaming machine, then you want a desktop and there are other threads to go look at for information. But if you are set on a laptop, I would look at MSI and if you want, ASUS (although they are still kind of pricy because you pay for the ASUS ROG badge on the cover).

Hope that helps

Edited by boomdiada1

I think Asus would be fine, since I've heard some bad things about MSI. Can anyone explain to me the logic of Asus' numbering system?

Here's some advice on a laptop:  Don't buy it.

Portability + power are useless for most people.  At class, all you need is a way to take notes.  Chances are your phone or similar device has the potential, just get a little keyboard and synch it at the house.  Its smaller, cheaper, lighter, doesn't get hot, and does the same job (and less likely to get stolen).  Your house PC will have a lot more power, flexibility, and upgradeable for less cost.  Plus no hassle about battery life, heat, or small keyboards/screens.

I bought a laptop for school and have regretted it ever since.  Seriously, basic note taking app + home pc > laptop.

I'd definitely agree with Mr. Bad's suggestion. The only time a laptop makes sense is if you're traveling a lot. If you're just home+school/work, there's no point.

I would recommend a Surface Pro 3. I have an i5/128GB/4GB model with keyboard and its perfect for work and lugging about :)

You may need the i7 version for all your multitasking and such. Get a decent mouse and mine handles tanks quite nicely as well (the trackpad is shit for 99% all tasks)

I think Asus would be fine, since I've heard some bad things about MSI. Can anyone explain to me the logic of Asus' numbering system?

my friend has 2 MSI laptops and they're both excellent pieces of hardware, higher quality than the lenovo I had, and on equal to the asus he has (lel hes a laptop whore) 

As mentioned, labtops are shit

that said however, one of the better things to do if your going to game on it is make sure it has a dedicated graphics card and not an integrated one

integrated cards give you shit for all fps

also

dont buy an HP

HP is shit

Edited by zapyoug

Well, I'm pretty much set on the laptop thing, since it is worth reiterating that I do no have a permanent residence in the States and I cannot take tablets. I'd also like to have something with more oomph with me as I go through the day.

Graphics cards wise, the 960M seems like it'll suit my needs, so I'm going with something in that category.

Once again, can someone explain the models on the ASUS laptops?

I run on a laptop. I used to run on a HP Pavilion which got very very hot. Now I have a Lenovo which is pretty cheap but I had to send it back once with a broken hard drive while a friend of mine had his motherboard replaced... not very sure about quality (and service isn't that fast)...

Other than that what's mentioned above. ASUS and MSI is what I keep hearing.

ASUS, MSI, Lenovo or any of the companies that resell Clevo-based machines are your best bet, though I hear the Razer machines are actually decent for gaming on the go.

As other folks have said, ignore Alienware. They went to absolute shit the moment they were bought by Dell.