Nisa

Nisa's guide to get good @ video games (Not just WoT!)

Hi I am Nisa/Nisae and I'm sorta gud @ a variety games, many interested individuals and cuties have been asking how,so to stroke my e-peen help you guys I will share my not so secret anymore secrets!
This is a guide not specifically aimed at WoT but rather at vidya games in general. Teaching the multiple stages of learning I've found common across a variety of titles.
It should be fairly easy to read and I'd recommend finishing it and then referring back whenever you lose your way.
Pictures will be added here and there because everyone loves pictures and its easier to keep track of what you're doing / where you are.

eyb2TEz.png

Games I believe (+ backed slightly by stats) I am gud @ in somewhat alphabetical order :
World of Tanks (duh)
Blacklight: Retribution
Contagion
Frozen Throne B.Net assorted games (can list examples if anyone is actually interested in what maps I played)
Insurgency
Killing Floor
Left 4 Dead 2 (especially versus mode)
Rising Storm Red Orchestra 2
Robocraft
Rust
Warthunder
Wow Ships
+ other things not in my steam library that I may have left out.

To get things started, you need a game to actually play. This is largely up to your choice whether it be multiplayer or singleplayer, competitive or non-competitive, first person shooter or real-time strategies.
However this guide is mostly geared towards competitive multiplayer games (if the games in the list didn't give it away) but it should be applicable to games that fall outside the spectrum or *gasp* even Reeeal liife.

270fe332ec.jpg
First thing that needs to be done is to assess your desire.
Do you really want to get good? like really really? There is no shame in remaining a casual in a game if that is what you prefer (unless you're terrible and actively pulling everyone down but thats a story for another day), you'll need to be proactive (and willing) to do your research, put in some levels of practice, actually having a mind of your own, be responsible for your own health and make adjustments to the way you think and behave.

After answering yes, you can begin by actually playing the game a bit, get familiar with it and learn how it plays  as well as the objectives.
The goal is to set up a basic foundation of sorts to work on, you want to be improving a pace you are comfortable with rather than having it feel like a race.

Okay so you've established the foundations and its time to put down the pillars (haha rust jokes I'm so funny), "how do dis?" you might ask, I wholeheartedly recommend starting by doing some research on your own (which you should be able to considering you're on wotlabs), go read some Wikies, look at Forumz, Check Developer blogs, read poasts by Nisa etc. However research does not mean you just blindly absorb whatever is written or spoken,you yourself must decide whether the advice is trustworthy or just personal opinions or hogwash.

There are a few ways to do this

• Check on the validity of the site/author, if its an official site (or wotlabs :P) and by someone who is decent and experienced its somewhat easier to believe than the 41% shitter who is telling you the Maus is a medium tank that was made in Taiwan.
  • Check on the date of the post, some previously established facts may be rendered false over time as updates roll by/new discoveries are made. (The mudflaps on the Maus used to have 0 armor and took full damage,making it a weak spot.)
  • Confirm your newly acquired knowledge by comparing it to other posts regarding the same topic, if 1 posts says alternating your AP and HE fire increases your damage output and there are 15 posts from reputable sources saying otherwise...it might not be 100% true.
  • Test it out yourself! Can't decide whether the MG port on a SuPershing is a weakness? Go shoot at one in the MG port and find out! (having friends may be helpful here)
  • After doing your research and applying where necessary, you should be able to see an increase in your performance/stats/level of play but why stop here? Lets go higher!

14e3b55ce3.jpg
Next up, Practice. After learning the proper way to drive out a corner *(rounding it properly and not going full broadside) in WoT, practice will make it muscle memory/second nature which will save on mental processing power for more important things like whats for dinner what to do next to achieve victory. Practice it until you're comfortable with it and move on to the next skills whilst not forgetting what you've just learnt, congratulations you've just leveled up!
However, practice doesn't mean you just go in and mess around, sloppy practice leads to sloppy habits,what you want is dedicated or good practice where you're actually paying proper attention to what you're doing.

Don't just repeat the same thing over and over again expecting to get better, just because you can hit the cupola on a stationary T32 at 50m doesn't make you a T32 killing machine. Its boring,a waste of time and make you lose confidence if a situation presents itself differently.
You want to work smarter and not just harder, pin-point the problem, analyse it, think of potential solutions, try them out and pick the ones you like best.
For example a Tiger II's frontal profile is your problem and you must fix it.
Instead of trying to penetrate the UFP, try going for the LFP, try flanking it, try going for the cupola etc. Work out a solution you're comfortable with and learn it. (personally I shoot Tiger 2's in the LFP -> Cupola -> Turret face)
After a good session of practicing, it is wise to take a break. Have a snack, take a nap, do something else a bit. Then when you're feeling refreshed, come back and tackle it again and see if the practice paid off.
If possible, try to manage the time spent practicing, you'll manage more in 3 straight hours (with breaks) as opposed to 1 hour every few days, this is also important in maintaining your purple stats if you do reach that point.

This cycle of research and practice and watching your performance rise may be rather engrossing but its very important not to neglect your health either.
As you start building fatigue you will lose efficiency or worse, you might end up forgetting what you've learnt earlier. Obviously this is bad and you want to reduce it as much as possible but the question is how?
Some things to keep note of :

1. Diet
  2. Sleep
  3. Time
  4. Environment
  5. Physical and mental health

[1] Your nutrition is important because if you are hungry or malnourished, you're less capable. Too hungry or malnourished and you might end up dead. Don't die. :(

[2] Sleep is important, it saves what you learn as well as prepares your body for the next day, don't neglect it.

[3] Picking a good time really matters, you're not going to be effective after a long tiring day at work...or when your house is on fire.

[4] IS THERE HEAVY DRILLING OR OTHER ASSORTED LOUD NOISES AROUND YOU? Enough air in your room? Sky raining fire?... Go ahead and fix it if its possible but when its not going to happen, try taking a break.

[5] Its better to rest on days where you are stabbed/shot/dumped or depressed. Oh don't forget to get enough exercise.

5a3552277b.jpg
Next up on our list is the juicy psychology tip bits where your mindset matters and will greatly affect your rate of growth and limits.

It matters not how LEET or Pr0 you are/think you are in another game, when you're playing something different you must first acknowledge you're the noob/pubbie now and work your way up from a humble beginning. 
This means you should be ready to absorb and learn new things which can also mean you may have to over-write previously established knowledge so its for the best to not be a stubborn knob at this point of time, people may also be mean to you during this point of time so its advised to grow a slightly thicker skin.
You should try making friends who can help you get better or grow with you, not being a cunt helps you make friends, not being a stubborn shitter helps you make friends and not being an elitist try hard will also help.

You also need a healthy dose of self-criticism and self-analysis. What this means is you don't blame your peers or your team for losses right away, think of how you could have contributed better, yes your team may have been absolutely horrendous but chances are you'll be fighting horrendous teams from time to time so the only average in all your matches is you, and you have to understand that the MM messes you up just as much as any other chap on the team and the only way to win more is to get better.

This is also the time for you to be pro-active in your learning, go try out some theories you've cooked up,formulate strategies, develop a play-style that you enjoy, a healthy sense of curiosity will prove useful here.
You should also develop an independent mind that can adapt to whatever situations that may appear, know what you must do to achieve victory whether it may be taking the hill on Mines or eliminating a dangerous opponent.
What is important is that you break out of crowd mentality or you'll never achieve anything substantial and plateau. Don't just copy others but rather become so awesome at something that others start copying you.

Whilst getting a mentor may be helpful in learning the good from the bad, try not to depend too much on it because if you're playing with friends/platooned most of the time you might get sloppy in the sense that you become dependent on their support.
You should try going solo once in a while as it can unveil new insights on how the game works or what skills you'd need, a good hundred or so battles can really sharpen your senses and train your clutching carrying skills because you have to be more careful and can't just fall back and rely on your buddies to help you as well as being able to trust your feelings and develop a good gut sense without throwing logic out the window. If done properly this can push you from being a filthy blue or pink into the (glorious) reigns of deep purple

Alternatively, when you're super purple and awesome (like me)  you can try picking up some students or mentees, it can help you brush up on your basics and remember things you may have forgotten and might even learn something new in the process.
You have to be careful though, make sure you know what you're doing because teaching the wrong things can have adverse effects on your potential and growth as well as your student.

Most importantly you must remember to have FUN.
All this is pointless if you do not enjoy the journey or the end results, avoid running yourself into a pit where you're just raging every game or two.
Remember to keep watch on your tilt levels, if you don't know what tilt is I've ported a guide on it in the past : http://forum.wotlabs.net/index.php?/topic/2882-being-on-tilt-in-world-of-tanks/
If you don't want to read the link (which you should), it basically refers to the reduction in your level of play and fun due to a variety of factors.

506cc434ea.jpg
To sum it up,I present a simple-ish timeline illustrating key elements of different periods :

Newb : 

• Good luck, have fun.
  • Understanding concepts and mechanics of game.
  • Get a good idea of what victory is like.
  • Make friends

Average pubbi

• Research
  • Make friends
  • Trying things out
  • Not being a stubborn jerk / thin-skinned baddie
  • Practice
  • Make changes to mindset

Competent pubbi :

• More research
  • Not learning the wrong things
  • Carve your own path
  • Don't be an asshole
  • More practice

Filthy filthy blue pubbi :

• Don't get cocky.
  • Don't be a shitter.
  • Do your homework.
  • Eat properly.
  • Are you practicing?
  • Watch out for traps along the road. (don't plateau)
  • Don't come home too late okay?

Purple but may be at limits pubbi :

• By now you should have your foundations, study advanced tactics/topics.
  • Practice and don't forget what you've learnt.
  • Be open to learn new things.
  • Take care of your health.
  • Don't forget to have fun.

Super awesome Nisa level purple shit right here yo

• Win games,carry teams of unwashed masses.
  • Establish a cult of personality.
  • Talk shit about blues with your fellow SuPurples.
  • Stay healthy,don't die IRL.
  • Don't degenerate and flop back into noob purple.
  • Consider tournaments and other end-game content.
  • Write guides to save the masses of filthy pubbies.
  • Find something else to play maybe?
  • Be awesome and treat newbies nicely okay?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------[ End of Guide ]-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

9d3c8e33f4.jpg

Got inspired at 4am,figured "what the hell, maybe I write a guide" and went along with it.
Actually had great difficulty starting it out but pretty happy with the end results.

Feel free to leave comments on why you love/hate this piece of text and how it can be improved.

*shameless advertising*
Also experimenting with Patreon a bit : https://www.patreon.com/Nisa    
/shameless advertising off

Credits :
Mom - giving birth to me + raising
Tjerry - proof reading 
Darkshaunz - Tilt guide
The artist(s) of the pics - for making them

Super awesome Nisa level purple

Am I at that level yet?

PS great guide 1+ for awesome information

Sure.
Did you enjoy your journey up to purple?
How is the view up here?

After reading this post I searched Taiwan Maus and found this.

MiniGm-prod.png

#TheThingsYouLearn

I had a lot of trouble making the analogies whilst offending the least amount of people.
TIL I'm bad at anal.

#TheThingsYouLearn

• Be awesome and treat newbies nicely okay?

kek,i treat ppl bad.

oh wait actually only the shitters.

Its fine if its a shitter or a blue but don't be too mean to those who have expressed interest to actually improve (unlike the majority of the server >_>).

Thanks Nisae!

I hope to one day stop being bad@video games (I'm ok@tonks, but a potato at most other things), also lol:

:kitty:

Just because I'm up and inspired at 4 am doesn't mean I'm not well rested.

I slept...in the afternoon and woke up around 2am. :x

Or you just stupidly spam 40K games, eventually just can't help learning something and bam, purple.

There are some with 40k battles and are the deepest shades of red you can think of.

There are some with 40k battles and are the deepest shades of red you can think of.

I always give those the benefit of doubt and assume they are bots.

Bots, pubs, who can really tell the difference?

I guess what I was really trying to say is you can opt out of all the reasearch by simply trying stuff out yourself. Takes longer but involves less reading and harder fails on your way to the top.

Edited by Nehkcist

Damn you for linking me this Nisa. I would be deep purple too if I was less bad at tanks!

But seriously, I'm starting to flatten out after briefly hitting purple, probably because I no longer feel the need to push myself. The moment you lose the drive is the moment you start stagnating. Whoever else really wants that deep purple and is currently not deep purple would do well to keep eyes on the prize.

So I was gonna ask 'Plz teach how2bgud@lief' and then I realised all what you said about video games can be applied to life too.

GG FML quitting WoT and working on my lief nao.

i think when learning something, it's always better to trust your own logic over whatever you read on strategy forums or watch on super purple streams. It doesn't matter if this purple player likes going southeast on Karelia or likes going 6-line on Prok. If you just don't like playing the west side of Stalingrad for whatever reason, you should continue to do whatever feels comfortable. I mean, you should be aware of all the possibilities available to you, but you should only be looking for what is clearly correct FOR YOU, then once you find something you like, you should dig deeply into that and find all the possible nuances and variations and solutions you can.

Never think you need to play standard because it is standard in any sense of the word. Sure, playing your own way might be tough to figure out, but if you find comfort in doing that, and you feel your play is much stronger and understandable when you do that, then 100% of the time you should follow your own intuition and develop your own style of play.

Way too many shitlords get stuck at like 70% or light purple because they just blindly follow other people's advice and have no actual understanding of what they're doing.

Damn you for linking me this Nisa. I would be deep purple too if I was less bad at tanks!

But seriously, I'm starting to flatten out after briefly hitting purple, probably because I no longer feel the need to push myself. The moment you lose the drive is the moment you start stagnating. Whoever else really wants that deep purple and is currently not deep purple would do well to keep eyes on the prize.

The period where I earned my deep purple was when I decided to start a new account on the SEA server, I set a 70% goal and actually managed a 84% win rate overall without spending gold.
Braving the red SEAS alone really leveled up my play and I just kept going till I was at the top.
Then I got lazy and flopped. \o/

I always give those the benefit of doubt and assume they are bots.

Bots, pubs, who can really tell the difference?

I guess what I was really trying to say is you can opt out of all the reasearch by simply trying stuff out yourself. Takes longer but involves less reading and harder fails on your way to the top.

You'll miss out on some hidden mechanics like the 500m view circles etc and you still have to be able to learn from mistakes.

i think when learning something, it's always better to trust your own logic over whatever you read on strategy forums or watch on super purple streams. It doesn't matter if this purple player likes going southeast on Karelia or likes going 6-line on Prok. If you just don't like playing the west side of Stalingrad for whatever reason, you should continue to do whatever feels comfortable. I mean, you should be aware of all the possibilities available to you, but you should only be looking for what is clearly correct FOR YOU, then once you find something you like, you should dig deeply into that and find all the possible nuances and variations and solutions you can.

Never think you need to play standard because it is standard in any sense of the word. Sure, playing your own way might be tough to figure out, but if you find comfort in doing that, and you feel your play is much stronger and understandable when you do that, then 100% of the time you should follow your own intuition and develop your own style of play.

Way too many shitlords get stuck at like 70% or light purple because they just blindly follow other people's advice and have no understanding of what they're doing.

Yep yep, I've talked about those issues on the post itself. The most useful things you can learn are the numbers or stats like how much penetration does xx gun have or how much camo/view range is possible on yy tank.
Also emphasized on the importance of finding your own way to do things and develop a play style, so many people get carried to blue or something and plateau out because they had their hands held.

I've never really liked tips like you should only go to blah blah on that map or this is the only way to play this tank etc.

Now how to quit a game you felt invested so much?

Find a better game to spend more time in.
You may still return once in a while for nostalgia but at least you won't be spending too much free time on it.

Find a better game to spend more time in.You may still return once in a while for nostalgia but at least you won't be spending too much free time on it.

A better game in the context of whether its more fun/enjoyable than the former is an easy solution, the problem is when you are looking for that specific genre/type of game and can't find any other alternatives or the other alternative is either as bad or worse?

On an Insurgency related matter, how to night map @_@

Who else here ever played a game called Gunbound? I used to be super good with it. Years ago.

But now I'm a ProMlg360NoScope. 

i played it on ijji (GBNA). i actually made $10k USD off that game through selling aimbots.

I figured out at some point while playing that the power bar was not a measurement of force, but of initial velocity. The whole system is played in a vacuum, but different vehicles' shots have different gravity values. Initially, I just made really accurate formulas/windcharts for different bots, but my friend suggested we take it a little further.

He was really good with programming, and figured out that the software that tried to stop hacking only looked at the first 5kb (or was it bytes?) of code, and so he just coded around that and we developed our aimbot lol :$

Grade 11 kinematic physics and self-taught C ftw... Ofc 11 years later now, I don't remember shit about physics, since I studied math in university. Was really fun at the time though!