Kymrel

Is the T54 obsolete now that I have the T55?

Hey all. Just took my brand new T55 out for a spin. The gun controls were so much better than the T54, I think I'm in love!

Only one question. Keep in mind that the T54 is my most played tank. Do I want to keep the T54 now that I have the T55? Is slightly better speed and hull armor (strange that those two go together, but OK) ever going to be more valuable than the substantially better gun control in the  T55?

hmm i've actually been wondering the same thing.  I've been itching to buy back the t-54 (for like the 3rd time or something :D) and play it again, but at the same time I'm more than halfway to the 55a and could probably finish it in a week or two if i actually put the effort into these missions.  the better gun handling, reload and view range (even though they are minimal increases) seem much more appealing than a little bit more speed and some extra hull armor.  I wouldn't say the t-54 is made obsolete by any means, but the 55a certainly would be played more if I had both in my garage (take crews into consideration as well, mine are both 5 skills so it's even but that may not be everyone's case).

Is the 62a obsolete if you have the 140?

no, but the 140 is obsolete if you have a 62a Kappa

Is the 62a obsolete if you have the 140?

Well, I've had the 140 in my garage for a long time but still haven't spent the 6 mill on the 62a. I know they play different, but with so many tier 10s unlocked I can't bring myself to get such a similar one...

When I got the T55A I was thinking about buying the T54 back, bought it back, played it a few times and then I stopped playing it and played T55A instead because better gun and you can train your german crew instead of having a t54 crew. :)

So for me T54 is obsolete :)

Is the gun handling really that much better? I mean, that's 30mm of frontal armor, 5kph top speed, and some agility you're giving up for it. The 0.02 acc/.2 aimtime/.02 bloom it has over the T-54 seems fairly minimal. Not being proof to 175 pen guns/bouncing 200 pen guns half the time seems fairly harsh for such a small improvement.

It really depends on the matchup, doesn't it? I think having that 210 or so effective armour makes aggressive play so much more forgiving, especially if you are going to shit on tier 7s and 8s. Of course, if you get yourself into tier 9 and 10 heavy games, the 55A would be a better choice. But most of the time, tier 9 MM allows you to shit on those poor tier 8s and having that great armour to abuse the power gap is a huge advantage the 54 has over its less armoured counterpart. 

Is this a T-54 > T-55a argument or a rebuttal to Rexxie? I'm confused...

If I were addressing Rexxie I'd quote Rexxie, the statement follows directly from the question that is the thread title.

Of course, if you get yourself into tier 9 and 10 heavy games, the 55A would be a better choice.

Still probably not. 12% better top speed and 16% more ammo will still serve you better. The gun handling is not so much better to make up for the loss of however many HEAT rounds you had to drop because you can carry 7 fewer total shots, or to allow for 8 more rounds to strike home than on the T-54.

If I were addressing Rexxie I'd quote Rexxie, the statement follows directly from the question that is the thread title.

Yes, but "puts paid to" is an idiomatic expression that I have never heard. It's like you're speaking a different language. Hence my confusion.

I understand now. Thanks. 

Still probably not. 12% better top speed and 16% more ammo will still serve you better. The gun handling is not so much better to make up for the loss of however many HEAT rounds you had to drop because you can carry 7 fewer total shots, or to allow for 8 more rounds to strike home than on the T-54.

Ah ok. I was merely considering only the armour facet and wasn't aware of the significantly lower ammo acount on the 55A. T-54 is still indubitably all round better it seems. 

No because that hull armour is a big difference.  The T-54 can just deal with a lot of tier 7s and 8s with no fcks given that the 55a just can't. 

Brawly tier 9 game T-54 is better

More open tier 10 game, T-55a is better.

Biggest thing for T-55a is no extra crew needed, with what 3 tier 10 Soviet mediums, plus T-54 you might struggle for good crews.