yoyoya2

Myoko review

The four Myōkō-class cruisers (妙高型巡洋艦 Myōkō-gata jun'yōkan?) were built for the Imperial Japanese Navy in the late 1920s. Three were lost during World War II.

The ships of this class displaced 11,633 tons (standard), were 201 m (661 ft) long, and were capable of 36 knots (67 km/h). They carried two aircraft and their main armament was ten 20.3-centimetre (8.0 in) guns in five twin turrets. At the time, this was the heaviest armament of any cruiser class in the world. They were also the first cruisers the Japanese Navy constructed that exceeded the (10,000 ton) limit set by the Washington Naval Treaty.

Myoko_after_surrender.jpg

In the game the myoko is a tier 7 cruiser with 5 double 8 inch guns that will fire at a range of 16.1km and 4x3 triple torpedo tubes.

Armour

The myoko is a fast heavy cruiser and suffers of having a huge citadel and overall weak armor. The main belt has a thickness of 100mm and a deck of only 37mm. This is comparable to the pensacola's 50-100mm belt armor. The citadels on the ship can be found at the waterline under the turrets,under the funnel and under the torpedo tubes. This means that it has a citadel for every occasion. So never show a broadside to anything that is shooting AP. The + is the fact that the myoko is very slim. Compared to its US peers the myoko can travel at a slight angle and not show at flat side to the enemy. The reason why you would want to travel at a angle is that it is easy for BBs to drop shots into the the front and get citadel pens.

+ Slim

+Can be angled

- Weak overall armor

- HUGE citadel

-I really do mean HUGE 

Armament

Myoko is armed with 10 8 inch (203mm) guns paired in 5 turrets.

These 8 inch guns have a decent rate of fire (12 seconds)To pump out great damage.With a range of 16.1km you can outrange all other IJN cruiser until tier 9 and can be competitive with the US CAs above tier 7. 

unlike the 6 inch shells the AP on these guns are very capable of killing CAs with a few salvos and doing serious damage to BBs  while the HE shells can set fires like no other and kill BBs who are well angled

The myoko is also armed with 12 torpedoes paired in 4x3 turrets with 2 on each side

These torpedoes have a range of 10km and a speed of 62knts while doing a maximum damage of over 17k

The arc on the torpedoes are 90 degrees from the side to 75-80 degrees to the rear therefore great for defensive but poor on the offensive.

+ Lots of guns

+ Accurate 

+ Even with weak armor they don't get destroyed easily 

+ Good torpedoes with fast reload (103 seconds)

= Slower reload then aoba but better then peers

= AA is lackluster compared to US but better than aoba

- slow turrets

-The gun placement can be wierd

-Torpedo arc can be frustrating

Maneuverability 

The myoko is a fast cruiser with a top speed of 36 knots this top speed helps it chase CVs and get in range quickly but can often cause you to overextend and die a horrible death.

Being a very long ship you have to watch out that when you turn You don't clip a mountain but with fast acceleration and a rudder shift time of 9 seconds you can quickly change directions and do S turns without problems.

Even with a decent rudder shift time the turning radius is pretty bad at just over 700m.

+ Fast

+ Decent rudder shift time

= Acceleration

- Turning radius is big

-Length of ship prevents turning in tight spaces

Overall

The myoko is a great ship and clearly out performs the pensacola. It can be played as a support or as a brawler. If a BB rushes you you just need to let him pass you then launch 6 torpedoes to finish him off. And using the great guns you can easily kill CAs in two salvos at ranges under 10km with AP and can often one salvo DDs with HE while doing 5-15k dmg to BBs with AP at close ranges or 3-6k dmg With HE at long range with fires.

Stats

heeHZ5V.png

They are excellent ships with incredible potential and I'm not just saying it because one of the Myokou class ships is my Ship-waifu. :x

Their narrow profile is not to be under-estimated, if you sail straight at a BB and do some wiggles you can take about 1k~3k dmg on avg from AP and on a pass you should be able torpedo the BB to death. (the torpedo payload is higher than most destroyers around the tier)

than
T͟Han,T͟Hən/
conjunction & preposition
conjunction: than; preposition: than
  1. 1.
    introducing the second element in a comparison.
    "he was much smaller than his son"
  2. 2.
    used in expressions introducing an exception or contrast.
    "he claims not to own anything other than his home"

then

[th en]

adverb
    at that time:
    Prices were lower then.
    immediately or soon afterward:
    The rain stopped and then started again.
    next in order of time:
    We ate, then we started home.
    at the same time:
    At first the water seemed blue, then gray.
    next in order of place:
    Standing beside Charlie is my uncle, then my cousin, then my brother.
    in addition; besides; also:
    I love my job, and then it pays so well.
    in that case; as a consequence; in those circumstances:
    If you're sick, then you should stay in bed.

the IJN did make sexy ass ships... although i want to kill whoever made the Furutaka, god its so bad.

The aoba is great and well worth the pain

the IJN did make sexy ass ships... although i want to kill whoever made the Furutaka, god its so bad.

The Furutaka in this game is a Frankenstein of its old 1910's model and refits in the 30's/40's. It was meant to get the Aoba's dual turrets sometime in the 30's too.

Much like the IS-7, WG nerfed the Furutaka to fit it in its current tier. Otherwise it would just be broken OP.

The closest i can think of is taking the WZ-120 and throwing the 59-16 turret + 57mm on it, giving it a 3 second reload, and calling it a tier 6 MT.

The Furutaka in this game is a Frankenstein of its old 1910's model and refits in the 30's/40's. It was meant to get the Aoba's dual turrets sometime in the 30's too.

Much like the IS-7, WG nerfed the Furutaka to fit it in its current tier. Otherwise it would just be broken OP.

The closest i can think of is taking the WZ-120 and throwing the 59-16 turret + 57mm on it, giving it a 3 second reload, and calling it a tier 6 MT.

Now its broken UP instead

For Yoyo: the Mogami has a very..... interesting armor layout. May cause a revision of your previous playstyle found on Aoba and Myoko.

Myoko (minus superior 37mm deck) has similar layout to Atago. 102mm thick boiler side citadel, hull armor that is 25mm thick near middle and tapers out to 16mm on the front 1/5 and rear 1/5.

Mogami... my wut now. Worse boiler side citadel armor at 100mm (2mm difference, meh), 12mm hull at center that thickens to 30mm (upper half) and 25mm on the front 1/5 and rear 1/5. You gonna needs to angle even harder, though the front end of the boiler citadel is now 140mm instead of the Myoko's 76mm, meaning getting frontally citadelled by BBs should become less often... but getting broadsided = RIP.

To clarify further, Furutaka is in her mid 1930s configuration. She and her sister Kako were built in the 1920s (entered service 1926) and later updated to the same standard as half-sister Aoba, including twin turrets, in the late 30s (in the yard April '37 to April '39). After the upgrades, the Aoba and Furutaka duos were so similar that they are often considered a single four-ship class in the literature. The "elite" in game setup is therefore a historical configuration and not really a Frankenstein, but not her final configuration or one that ever saw combat.

To clarify further, Furutaka is in her mid 1930s configuration. She and her sister Kako were built in the 1920s (entered service 1926) and later updated to the same standard as half-sister Aoba, including twin turrets, in the late 30s (in the yard April '37 to April '39). After the upgrades, the Aoba and Furutaka duos were so similar that they are often considered a single four-ship class in the literature. The "elite" in game setup is therefore a historical configuration and not really a Frankenstein, but not her final configuration or one that ever saw combat.

the "elite" config does not have the twin turrets.  she has the triple torp launchers of the later refits, and the single turrets of the early configs.

the "elite" config does not have the twin turrets.  she has the triple torp launchers of the later refits, and the single turrets of the early configs.

I missed that, for some reason I thought she didn't get the torp upgrades. Thanks.

For Yoyo: the Mogami has a very..... interesting armor layout. May cause a revision of your previous playstyle found on Aoba and Myoko.

Myoko (minus superior 37mm deck) has similar layout to Atago. 102mm thick boiler side citadel, hull armor that is 25mm thick near middle and tapers out to 16mm on the front 1/5 and rear 1/5.

Mogami... my wut now. Worse boiler side citadel armor at 100mm (2mm difference, meh), 12mm hull at center that thickens to 30mm (upper half) and 25mm on the front 1/5 and rear 1/5. You gonna needs to angle even harder, though the front end of the boiler citadel is now 140mm instead of the Myoko's 76mm, meaning getting frontally citadelled by BBs should become less often... but getting broadsided = RIP.

How do you find the armor thicknesses?

When did they add the armor models of WoWS? Last time I dropped by there they didn't have them.

Since 2 weeks ago, according to site news.

Also rip yoyoya yesterday on that 7-loss streak, with his 8th being me on the enemy team. gggggggggggggggggggg confirmed HE-spamming yolo-torp boat is best winning strat

Now as I have the Myoko and also the ARP Myoko, I have to change my opinion about cruisers.

I always saw cruisers as inferior damage dealers and with less carry potential than Battleships.

Now I am averaging 69K damage in the Myoko, same league as was my Colorado and Nagato. Color me impressed!

The dpm, I guess, is higher than with BBs. Even with HE you average around 3k damage per salvo on same tier BBs.

But AP is also viable on Battleships. for even more damage, but without fires of course.

So...if you are used to BB guns and know how to hit, you will benefit a lot from that when using the Myoko and its 203mm guns.

The only thing that does not make this ship super-op is the 16km range. If it had around 20km, nothing could beat it.

Also: it is very fun to play, less boring than BBs. I really love the Myoko! I should probably finally get an Atago too, if it is anything like the Myoko.

I'm not doing as well as I like out of my Myoko and i'm pretty sure it's my own fault. Out of curiosity, how often do you use the Myoko's Torps I find that they're a bit of a trap since they can only fire toward the aft so you'd have to expose your broadsides to fire them. Do you fire AP at BB only when you see broadsides and switch to HE when they're nose/aft toward you, or do you shoot AP out of this thing all the time? 

I do shoot torps, but only if I am unspotted or not in the risk of being shot at.

Because as you said: the fixed launchers don't have any angle and you have to expose yourself. But still I do use them whenever possible.

A torp in the water might hit something, a torp not in the water...that said: I just torped an ARP Kongo to death. Why did he have to rush me? I don't want to kill fog ships hehe.

If it sounded as if I mostly shoot AP: that's not the case, I load HE by default and switch to AP when I have the chance to broadside something. It is amazing how fast other cruisers melt if they are broadside. But mostly I shoot HE.

On 1/18/2016 at 10:10 AM, ncc81701 said:

I'm not doing as well as I like out of my Myoko and i'm pretty sure it's my own fault. Out of curiosity, how often do you use the Myoko's Torps I find that they're a bit of a trap since they can only fire toward the aft so you'd have to expose your broadsides to fire them. Do you fire AP at BB only when you see broadsides and switch to HE when they're nose/aft toward you, or do you shoot AP out of this thing all the time? 

I fire torps when that opportunity arises, but shooting them at the risk of revealing your broadside is not smart.  Either do so after they've fired, or when you're already retreating.  In general for cruiser torps, I tend to fire them even if they have a remote chance of hitting, unless if I need to charge somebody or something.  I fire pretty much only HE, unless if BBs are broadside at <11km and is already on fire.