Sign in to follow this  
Nope

Need a new headset!

My headset is a 10euro shitty one that I got just because it was light. It has, not surprisingly, pretty lacking sound and the mic is meh at best.

I need a new one, and these are my requirements:

- Obviously good mic and nice sound.

- Small in size and lightweight, this is VERY IMPORTANT. Maybe the most important one, as anything big, heavy and anything that completely covers my ears will end in the shelf with the three other headsets.

- No blinking lights, had one that did that and I ended up fucking it up with nail polish in hope to get rid of the madness.

- Would like a wireless as this one has a wire and it's in my way most of the time. If not possible with wireless I prefer USB connection, as the jack ports are kinda broken.

I used to have a Logitech G930 headset, but the sheer size and weight was so annoying that I gave it away. For free. It needs to be significantly smaller.

I have been looking a bit on Sennheiser PC 333D Gaming Headset, and would like some input. It's 100gr lighter than than the G930, has USB connection and I used to have Sennheisers that I loved. Just the specs tell me nothing.. Anyone care to take a look? Here is a link with info in english, and it's about the prize range I would like:

http://en-us.sennheiser.com/gaming-headset-stereo-dolby-headphone-pc-333d

^And if you keep scrolling on that page you find similar products from Sennheiser. I would like to get a lot of bang for my buck, so going a bit down in quality for a much cheaper headset is all dandy for me.

I was gonna suggest a turtle beach headset, but mine is fairly heavy, wired with 1 jack and a sub, and covers ears fully. I Like the amp so I can do stuff without pausing whatever i'm doing, and I like the oval fit over the more squared headsets I've seen. I have the PX22. 

There are medical reasons as to why I can't have something big and heavy on my head/over ears over time, that's why. I would rather just suffer this headset than get one that is going to cause me insane headaches and stuff. I am literally the only nutjob spending time on my computer and using headsets, so I can't really try either. The shops here don't have models on display in the store, so I can't even try them there. They didn't care when I mentioned that being able to actually try those 200++ euro headsets might be a good way to selling them, since nobody wants to gamble on that kind of money anyway.

There are medical reasons as to why I can't have something big and heavy on my head/over ears over time, that's why. I would rather just suffer this headset than get one that is going to cause me insane headaches and stuff. I am literally the only nutjob spending time on my computer and using headsets, so I can't really try either. The shops here don't have models on display in the store, so I can't even try them there. They didn't care when I mentioned that being able to actually try those 200++ euro headsets might be a good way to selling them, since nobody wants to gamble on that kind of money anyway.

Even at the Memory Express that I go to, nothing but the computers are on display, so it isn't just there.

I have a g930 atm. shit sucks mane. whenever i run the software that comes with it the headset loses connection. Many problems after just a month of use.

what is causing you discomfort?

• Is it the weight on top or your head
  • the pressure directed sideways by the ear cups to your head
  • pressure applied in the area around your ears

There are basically 2 different styles of headphones Over Ear like your G930 and Sennheiser PC 333D or On-Ear like the Sennheiser Urbanite 

edit

I dont have much knowledge when it comes to audio or headphones, but for you to find something fitting, you first have to find out what really is the issue.

Furthermore I suggest to find a forum frequented by more audiophiles.

Did you consider in-ears in combination with a cable mic ?

My Plantronics Rig was a surprise from my wife and I dig it. The ear pads are cloth covered memory foam and ultra comfortable. The device comes with a mixing device that enables you to balance the in-game sounds and voice comms, you can even hook up your cell phone and answer it while playing via the headset.

rig-black-system.png

Your obsession with size makes this whole endeavour rather complicated. Are you sure it was weight/size that turned you off or was is the fit? Do you have the opportunity burrow/test different equipment with friends?

It's always about size with women...

what is causing you discomfort?

• Is it the weight on top or your head
  • the pressure directed sideways by the ear cups to your head
  • pressure applied in the area around your ears

There are basically 2 different styles of headphones Over Ear like your G930 and Sennheiser PC 333D or On-Ear like the Sennheiser Urbanite 

edit

I dont have much knowledge when it comes to audio or headphones, but for you to find something fitting, you first have to find out what really is the issue.

Furthermore I suggest to find a forum frequented by more audiophiles.

Did you consider in-ears in combination with a cable mic ?

The problem is all of the above. I have hyper-sensitive nerves around the ear soon bad days when I get a bit of pressure around there my ears sounds and feels like they have a vibrating cellphone in them. It sometimes get extreme, if I'm lucky enough to get a pimple or a bugbite there I'm in for a treat. Also my neck is terrible and can't handle much extra weight. I mean, if they don't cling hard sideways and not super-heavy it will probably be fine even if they cover the ear.

Also I find in-ear ones disgusting, I always throw away the ones that come with the phone, feels about as disgusting as q-tipping your ear and keeping the q-tip on your desk :P

Does It have to be a headset? I use iem's (in-ear monitors (fancy way of saying earbuds)) with a standalone mic on the desk.

I would suggest the astro a50's because I recall they are fairly small, but since they are wireless, they have to have a battery so I believe they are on the heavier side. Also apparently the mic on the a50's is pretty shit considering the price.

As for the sennheiser headset you were looking at, it doesn't seem like there is much option for adjust-ability.

My headset is a 10euro shitty one that I got just because it was light. It has, not surprisingly, pretty lacking sound and the mic is meh at best.

I need a new one, and these are my requirements:

- Obviously good mic and nice sound.

- Small in size and lightweight, this is VERY IMPORTANT. Maybe the most important one, as anything big, heavy and anything that completely covers my ears will end in the shelf with the three other headsets.

- Would like a wireless as this one has a wire and it's in my way most of the time. If not possible with wireless I prefer USB connection, as the jack ports are kinda broken.

you can`t really have all this stuff at once. 

1. its either good sound with cable/jack + standalone mic or with mic but then it wont sound THAT good and its pricey ( can be small but then you wont have a big choice when it comes to sound)  

"big" ones can be comfortable/light , depends on how  they are built/how band is built

2. or its wireless/usb with shitty sound and acceptable mic = heavy (receiver/battery gibs muchos grams)

also about 333d (only ones spec worth looking at is impedance and efficiency, they dont provide responsiveness charts afaik)

CLOSED DESIGN 

INSPIRED BY DJ'S 

7.1 SURROUND SOUND 

you really want to avoid this in your headphones.

first of all - lightweight/comfortable for ears/head headphones are usually open/semi open, closed one use to be sturdy and they tend to heat up your ears/head

2nd - 7.1 -> pls pls nope. only stereo headphones, not some marketing bullshit. the smaller the driver, the shittier it sounds. 

(at least its virtualized support not "native", otherwise i would insert sennheiser on my hate list, you don`t go full retard when you are known for building things like orpheuses / hd800 )

3rd -> if you want to be really cost-effective think about rebrands/clones of existing headphones(superlux, takstar, maxells ets)

shortlist of open, (quite light actually)  generally considered(+some of my experience) comfortable with /excellent/good/acceptable/ sound( considering them in their price range)

with no need of using amp/non-mobo dac

• Superlux HD668B-> used them, can confirm they comfortable, and quite light (at least when it comes to comparing them to CAL!`s / AKG 271mk2`s/ sh 215<- these were actually quite comfy, but closed ones.)
  • Koss Porta Pro-> that may be the best match, despite its band ear-killer look can confirm that comfy is real.
  • Superlux HD330 
  • akg 140 
  • Pioneer SE-A1000 -  lightweight, little shallow cups, but soft and comfy. can confirm
  • Philips SHP9500 -can confirm they are comfy.

• Takstar TS671
  • or i need to find hp with really BIG cups so they dont put pressure on ear-area but on the rest of the head Kappa
  • this also.

and avoid grado, kill for ears :music:

The shops here don't have models on display in the store, so I can't even try them there. 

rip 

for more pro 420 mlg info -

Head-Fi.org 
InnerFidelity

@aaveq:

Do you have experience with the Sennheiser Urbanite? Its lightweight, on-ear and would therefore fit the bill imo

@ Nurkus:

What about a combo of dedicated mic (on desk) and headphones? That would give you a wider range of options when it comes to headphones.

frankly its the first time i see that name, i`ve stopped @ momentum on ears :disco:

But the Urbanite has just a mic on the cable, right? Also it's made for apple products as it would seem..?

I really do need a USB connection, because the jack-thingys are broken in the way that they often makes this insane sound if I move the wire. Platoon-friends boo'd me out and I was not allowed back without USB connected headset. :P  because of the battery weight we can safely eliminate the wireless ones.

Not sure about mic and headset separated. It doesn't have to be studio-great sound on the mic, just less shitty than the plastic headset I already have.

For comparing, this is the kind I am using as of now, a generic shitty kind that cost like 10 dollars and worth even less:

audio326.png

I really like my Sennheiser PC 363D.

Very comfortable, with lots of room for your ears and great cushioning on the headrest. 
The sound and mic quality are some of the best I've had for a combo mic + headphone device. 

wrt weight and size, it doesn't feel bulky to me , but that could just be associated with the ergonomics. It's not exactly a small accessory in appearance

wrt weight and size, it doesn't feel bulky to me , but that could just be associated with the ergonomics. It's not exactly a small accessory in appearance

And thats the thing - I could  drive for hours with ~100 mph on the Autobahn, the only wind protection being my helmet - no windshield on the bike itself - and I had no problems the next day. Other people might be moving funny for the next week.

And I think this also applies to headphones, to a lesser degree ofc  - its "personal thing".

It has come to my attention that the store in the next city do have a showroom with different gaming headsets. I'll make my way over there after the weekend and try some on, and just YOLO-buy something. If it turns to shit at least my boyfriend will get a slightly used new headset to enjoy, and not the ear-rape he is currently using.

If you can find a set of headphones that you like and are comfortable for you then you could add an Antlion ModMic to them for headset use, would give you more options to find something that's comfortable.  I use a ModMic on a set of AKG K7xx headphones for gaming, best "headset" I've ever had.

If you can find a set of headphones that you like and are comfortable for you then you could add an Antlion ModMic to them for headset use, would give you more options to find something that's comfortable.  I use a ModMic on a set of AKG K7xx headphones for gaming, best "headset" I've ever had.

74 dollars + shipping here in Norway.. How about noooo.. :eww:

I dunno about headsets since I hate having the mic right on my face (I use my webcam's mic for literally everything) but I have a pair of Sennheiser headphones that are fairly lightweight and good quality.

My head's kinda wide so they squeeze a tiny bit but the pressure is hardly noticeable and I've forgotten that I'm wearing them sometimes

I did buy a headset, and I liked it but it's just too closed so I couldn't hear sounds outside the headset. I like a more open headset, and I want it to be A LOT smaller, so I have decided to buy the Sennheiser Momentum on-ear, unless there is something other that feels even more comfy, but I doubt it. I have scheduled a trip tomorrow to the store, and if I can't find a standalone mic there I'll buy a used one from the sales pages.

( I have finally located a store that actually have display models of headsets that you can test all you want. :D )

74 dollars + shipping here in Norway.. How about noooo.. :eww:

Yikes! I paid $30 or so shipped a few years back but mine is an older version.  Didn't realize they'd gone up that much in price, love mine though.