ModderKraken

9.9 IS line armor buff?

I must be living under a rock - was surprised by the mention in the 9.9 video that that buffed the armor of the IS line. "To avoid penetrations by low powered tanks" or something like it.  What did they do?

Can someone please enlighten this under-a-rock-hiding roach noob?

There probably was a hole somewhere in the hitbox and they now removed it
That's my best guess anyway

Of course people go full retard when they hear anything about that, Rita's blog was full of windowlickers believing the IS-line armour got buffed.

They literally just fixed bugs (like holes) in the collision models, nothing to go wild about.

What they have done is to remove the small (30mm?) autopen-zone behind the tracks that all IS-tanks starting with the IS-3 got (I am not sure about the IS-1 and IS-2)

Here is a picture showing the weakspot before they removed it:

7CoxNwH.png

It was quite hilarious since you could autopen side scraping IS-7s there when you couldn´t see the lower plate.

At certain angles you could, like on the screenshot, even penetrate it with HE avoiding the tracks.

Anyway, all the plebs who complained about this "buff" just have no idea what they are talking about, they are just looking for reasons to hate WG, this isn´t helped by the lack of usefull infomation provided by certain bloggers.

In the end it was just a retarded weakspot most people didn´t even know about and it´s thing they removed it.

Even knowing which piece they buffed has me mind = blown from how stupid the buff was. The IS-7 most assuredly did not NEED that buff, at all. It is still one of he most reliably tough tanks these days unless you are sprem-spamming. Knowledge is power seems to be something the Russkis aren't getting...

They want to encourage more HEAT/APCR, I suppose.

I dont know, stuff like the IS-7's belly armor overmatch always felt like one of those things that you never actually purposefully tried to abuse. I never once thought "well I can take that 1/20th chance at hitting his belly so I'll just stick with AP". I think what happened is that they weighed the effort it would take to change this with the amount of reports of confused players who got frustrated they were penned there once and decided to act. It makes very little difference in game.

I dont know, stuff like the IS-7's belly armor overmatch always felt like one of those things that you never actually purposefully tried to abuse. I never once thought "well I can take that 1/20th chance at hitting his belly so I'll just stick with AP". I think what happened is that they weighed the effort it would take to change this with the amount of reports of confused players who got frustrated they were penned there once and decided to act. It makes very little difference in game.

I remember exactly one battle I won due to that patch.

I was E-50, 3v1, killed the other two and bounced two of the IS-7's shots off my turret while sidescraping with a wreck, and finished him with two hits, the last one to that wheel when he angled better against me. I carried pure AP.

Against cheap asses like me, that patch matters a LOT.

I think the buffs are actually quite significant.

IS-4 had major issues sidescraping against 155+mm guns, since they could overmatch parts of the armor behind the tracks. The IS-7 could indeed be penned though the tracks at extreme angles by even smaller guns. 

I'm actually surprised these changes haven't been given more attention... 

Spots that are so small you can actually hit them only once in a blue moon are not worth a lot attention. If they had not announced it noone would have even noticed it.

The problem is if they hadn't announced it two things would happen.

1*. The amount of idiots claiming "OMG they stealth buffed/nerfed X" would increase dramatically.

2. The amount of idiots claiming that "OMG they stealth buffed Russian tanks! Typical WG Russian bias" would increase.

So yeah :/ one of those things were people will complain either way.

Was it just RU tanks affected by those weird armor zones or are other tanks being fixed too (I'm too lazy to search) but when scrolling through the pictures I don't think all of them were Russian.

That being said, I have never, ever aimed for those spots, even if I knew about them (most of them I didn't) the chance to hit is so small (imo) that it isn't worth it. 

*You know this would happen, "My tank feels slower and the gun handling sucks, obviously WG stealth changed it. After all, they made all those armor changes without saying anything!"

Sure one of these two option would happen. People just like to mimimi everytime they get the chance to do it.

But as you said. You, me and pretty much everyother guy here never actually aimed for these spots. Why complaining about something you haven´t used anyway? @ Sapros

I wasn't complaining.

Maybe I've just been very unlucky, but several times my IS-4 got penned at extreme angles (thought the tracks) while sidescraping against the bigger guns. 

Knowing I can now engage those 155+mm safely as long as I mind the angles, makes a pretty big difference to me. :)

Was it just RU tanks affected by those weird armor zones or are other tanks being fixed too (I'm too lazy to search) but when scrolling through the pictures I don't think all of them were Russia

Some of them might have been Chinese, atleast one of the tanks shown in the video was a WZ-111 (which is very similar to the IS-3 anyway), but without the pre-9.9-models I can´t tell for sure. 

"IS-7, Object 260, Object 704, IS-3, IS-3 auto, Object 730, T-54 first prototype, IS-4, 113, 121, Object 268, Object 263, Object 430, 111, IS-8, ST-I, WZ-111"

I used this weakspot regularly against IS-3s. Have another pic:

wH8vmKs.png

I don't think the 20mm plate was quite as large on the IS-7, but it's a significant buff anyway.