OnboardG1

Onboard reviews the crew skills

Legend:

Floating Turd (normally reserved for crutch or trap skills)

Fuk-u-taka (usually situational and often easily circumvented by good play)

Boringly Normal (Gets you something that you wouldn't normally get but not game-changing)

Blueberry (Very useful for some classes or mildly useful for all classes, can't go wrong type skill)

Stet-Pedder (Useful for all classes in almost every situation or so useful on a subset of classes its must-have)

Tier 1:

Expert Loader: 30% increase to loading speed when changing shells

- Possibly useful in an 8" gun cruiser where your ammo type selection will make a big difference to your next engagement. Useless on DDs and BBs because you're not going to fire AP in a DD (unless gremyaschy) and a BB will get more mileage out of firing the AP salvo and then reloading HE.

Basic Firing Training: -10% reload time to guns under 155mm, +10% to AA efficiency

- Great skill. DPM boosts your main artillery for DDs and CLs and makes your AA better. You can't really go wrong.

Basics of Survivability: -15% fire extinguishing and flooding time

- A very nice skill that helps when you've blown your rep kit and need to get that fire under control. Pretty useful on anything really, but you'll get most mileage out of it in a battleship.

Situational Awareness: Sixth Sense

- Great on ships that can use camo setups. Pretty much essential for DD play and certain CAs. Even on ships with bad detection ranges it can be quite nice as a sort of "DD detector" to work out when something sneaky is trying to launch torps at you. You pretty much can't go wrong with this skill, everything can have some use out of it.

Expert Rear Gunner: 10% boost to bomber self defence

--I don't play carriers so I can't really say how useful this one is, but it doesn't seem exactly great. Bombers already get rekt by fighters, so making them 10% less rekt is still rekt. Basics of Survivability seems like a more useful choice to survive bomber rushes than this skill.

Tier 2:

Aiming Expert: +2.5 deg/sec rotation for <155mm guns, +0.7 deg/sec rotation for >155mm guns.

-Pretty great on anything really, apart from Japanese DDs. If your primary armament is guns, this skill is a must have. Certain ships like Warspite and Gremyaschy need this upgrade.

Torpedo Armament Expertise: -10% torp reload, -10% Torp Bomber Service

-No brainer this one. If you shoot torps more than guns, get this skill. So Japanese DDs and Carriers.

Fire prevention: -7% (Multiplicative) reduction to fire chance

- This is a trap, the gain is not additive (i.e 11% fire chance goes to 10%, not 4%). The gain is so small that those 2 points are more useful elsewhere. If you REALLY hate fires in a battleship it might be useful, but honestly, there are better skills at this tier.

Incoming Fire Alert: Gives a warning if you're being shot at from a range where the impact time is >6s

- What the fuck is this? Seriously, if you know you're spotted by something you care enough about to dodge you should already be making the moves, not waiting for some half-arsed yokel cousin of situational awareness to tell you you're dun bein shawt ayt.

Tier 3:

High Alert: -10% cooldown time for Damage Control Party

- Basically rendered obsolete by premium DCP consumable, although you could stack it with JOAT on a BB for superfast 64s DCP refire. Also a good pick for low tier cruisers who don't have many limited consumables.

Vigilance: +20% torpedo acquisition distance

- The "I'm shit at situational awareness" skill. If you're paying attention, you don't need it. If you aren't, it won't help. This is serious pubbie trap material.

Dogfighting Expert: Increased combat power fighting faster planes

- Clearly designed as a tier levelling skill, this is useful on US carriers because the fighters are quite slow. I guess you could use it on Japanese carriers for fighting high tier enemies. My guess is we'll know more about how useful this skill is when German and UK carriers come out.

Superintendant: +1 consumable charge

- Great skill if you're like me and like tanking a hundred thousand damage in your BB. Extra scout plane/smoke/speed boost is excellent and really, everything else in tier is shit for non-CVs

Tier 4:

Demolition Expert: +3% chance of fire

- This one IS additive if I remember rightly, and is useful on spammy gunboats. Unfortunately, most of those are in the US tree and benefit more from the secondary fire skill but on a DD or if you have a sealclubber crew on a low-tier cruiser it's kind of a no-brainer. The Mogami would have a tough call between this skill and the secondary fire skill. Possibly useful for dive bombers but they have a super high fire chance anyway.

Advanced Firing Training: +20% range for <155mm guns, +20% AA range

- The Cleveland was made for this skill. Buffs your main gun range if they're <155mm and makes your AA guns better. It used to be possible to push your bofors guns out to the range where they'd be affected by the AA consumable. I'm not sure if that's still the case but this is an excellent skill for ships with sexy secondary batteries (like Warspite and the high tier JP BBs). It might not be so good on high tier Japanese Cruisers, so Demo Expert might be a better choice there. Even on CVs this might be useful for the AA range (especially on the Lexi).

Last Stand: Can still manoeuvre and move with a broken engine or rudder

-I was informed this has an 85% effect on your rudder and engine on a destroyer. That makes it must pick for Japanese destroyers and a serious contender for US destroyers (although AFT gives you a longer "Fuck you I'm invisible" zone). I also use this on my mid tier Japanese cruisers because I hate losing the rudder in them.

Aircraft Servicing Expert: +5% survivability, -10% loading time of planes

- No brainer for a carrier really. Planes die less and your DPM goes up.

Tier 5:

Last Chance: -9% reload when ship is <20% HP

- WAAAAY too situational to be good. For every game this would have helped me the detection range reduction or -10% consumable time would have helped out in 10 games.

Preventative Maintenance: -34% module damage chance

- This one looks quite interesting if you're in a very tank-heavy battleship setup. If you're expecting to take HE hits this'll reduce the chance of losing modules. Logically that would suggest you take less damage (because the HP pool of the external module not being taken) but I don't know how this thing works well enough to be absolutely sure about that. I can't recommend this until I know how exactly it works.

Concealment Expert: 10-16% detection range reduction depending on ship type

-Great for DDs, certain CAs and the odd battleship. As a rule of thumb if you stack all the mods and skills on a T8+ ship you can knock 25% off your detection range. So a Yamato can be spotted at 13.5km with all mods. You can get some ships (like the Zao and 6" mogami IIRC) to the point where you can invisa-shoot from max range with these changes. Personally I'd take it even in BBs so that I'm not the recipient of the first strike from aircraft. Plus, lol invisi-capping in low tier US BBs.

Air Supremacy: +1 Plane in fighter and DB squadrons

-Carrier no brainer really. Extra planes = extra dpm, more fires, harder to kill squadrons. Doesn't affect TBs so more useful on US CVs than on JP ones.

Jack of all trades: -10% consumable reload time

-Stack with High Alert and a premium consumable for fast DCP. This is a good skill for most classes but it isn't going to set the world on fire. Take this if you don't think Concealment is going to help you much in your chosen class (probably high tier BBs).

You'll notice that there aren't any super must-haves at T5. I'd say it's perfectly legitimate to not take a T5 skill and spend the remaining 9 points in the lower ranked skills that might fit your playstyle better. Remember, you have 19 points to play with, and you don't HAVE to have a T5 if you don't want it.

Sample Builds:

US CA (Des Moines)

1. Basic Firing Training

2. Aiming Expert

3. Superintendant

4. Adv Firing Training

4. Demo Expert

5. Jack of All Trades

Warspite (tanky BB)

1. Basic Firing Training

1. Basics of Survivability

2. Aiming Expert

3. Superintendant

3. High Alert

4. Advanced Firing Training

5. JOAT

Fuck you I'm invisible Mogami

1. Basic Firing Training

1. Situational Awareness

2. Aiming Expert

2. Torpedo Armament Expertise (it's possible to stealth torp with the mogami fully tricked out and with care)

3. Superintendant

4. Advanced Firing training

5. Concealment Expertise

Edited by OnboardG1

Fuck you I'm invisible Mogami

1. Basic Firing Training

1. Situational Awareness

2. Aiming Expert

2. Torpedo Armament Expertise (it's possible to stealth torp with the mogami fully tricked out and with care)

3. Superintendant

4. Advanced Firing training

5. Concealment Expertise

Well Mogami with 6inch guns is fking terrible and even if you somehow like the 6'' guns you would have to change certain skills for the ubuki and from the furrytaka up to the mogami they will be useless. So i think that all IJN CAs should have the same build as the US CAs with the addition of  the torp armament Expertise  

I appreciate the writeup but what I take away the most from this is we need to do some testing and find out for sure what everything does and try to get some sort of measure of value.  We should strive to avoid the issues that still plague WoT of folks recommending bad commander skills in a game five-fucking-years-old simply because they're too lazy to jump in a training room and test things out.

I appreciate the writeup but what I take away the most from this is we need to do some testing and find out for sure what everything does and try to get some sort of measure of value.  We should strive to avoid the issues that still plague WoT of folks recommending bad commander skills in a game five-fucking-years-old simply because they're too lazy to jump in a training room and test things out.

Exactly a example of this is the advice of not shooting AP at CVs yet CVs are some of the easiest ships in the game to get multiple citadels. Another big myth is the fact that it is always better to fire HE at BBs in CAs. While in testing I found that with 8inch shells If i shoot at a flat angle I will always do more damage with AP then HE (5-10k with 10shells vs 1-5k)

Once I get enough skillpoints for a 4pt skill and some more gold I might respec and retrain my commander and try test Last Stand and Demolition Expert. Are training rooms with the mod still working?

Once I get enough skillpoints for a 4pt skill and some more gold I might respec and retrain my commander and try test Last Stand and Demolition Expert. Are training rooms with the mod still working?

Updated version worked since 0.4.0.1

Should be found in aslains mod pack.

They are.  I've been using them the last two days (in them more than in actual games).

Tier 1:

Expert Loader: 30% increase to loading speed when changing shells

Woudn't you be able to abuse this by going something like this?

Have AP loaded

Have HE switched to load as next shell

Fire AP

Quickly switch back to AP

Cut 30% off the reload and spend maybe an extra 0.5 second?

Edit: I don't play boats, this just reminds me of one of the two perks in AW used to abuse the reload shell switch exploit.

Just like Intuition in WoT, it doesn't work when the shell isn't already loaded... and unlike Intuition you're forced to go through the entire reload cycle again if you do switch between reloads. 

And yes both basic and advanced firing training affect main battery at 155mm and lower. It just makes Cleveland 155mm and Atlanta 127mm spam all the more terrifying with increased DPM (Basic) and increased range (advanced) 

And yes both basic and advanced firing training affect main battery at 155mm and lower. It just makes Cleveland 155mm and Atlanta 127mm spam all the more terrifying with increased DPM (Basic) and increased range (advanced) 

I thought that was the case but I wasn't completely certain on basic (reload change too small for my eyes yo)

Kinda iffy about AFT on the Cleveland. The range isn't going to help given that the shell velocity on it is anemic with massive hangtime, and at extreme ranges can be dodged quite easily given the arc.

I honestly think that demo expert would be better, given the volume of shells you can pump out, and generally speaking unless you are saving it as a seal-clubber the range boost will become useless when you send the crew to the Pensacola. 

The range is a nice bonus, but the AA range is killer in airplane-hell meta. I stack it with the AA mod for maximum "fuck you planes" effect.

For my US cruiser build you'll note I take both Demo and AFT, although for the Cleveland (because it doesn't get the Repair consumable) it's probably legit to drop JOAT for High alert and Basics of Survival instead and take Demo earlier.

Kinda iffy about AFT on the Cleveland. The range isn't going to help given that the shell velocity on it is anemic with massive hangtime, and at extreme ranges can be dodged quite easily given the arc.

I honestly think that demo expert would be better, given the volume of shells you can pump out, and generally speaking unless you are saving it as a seal-clubber the range boost will become useless when you send the crew to the Pensacola. 

AFT doesn't just affect your main armament, your secondary batteries and, more importantly, your AA batteries benefit from this skill. IMO a must have skill for ships with significant AA and secondary batteries (CA and BB)

Thanks for the great rundown, I've already fallen into the fire prevention trap with my US battleship commander. Even if the -7% was a straight subtraction from the chance of fire per shell I think it'd still be underwhelming. I made the mistake of discounting how big an improvement 0.7 degrees/second is for the battleships. When your base rate is only 4 degrees/second an extra 0.7 is a noticeable improvement... 

If you are a DD driver last stand is pretty good. (Almost required) You can not get your repair skills recycle low enough for all the engine/rudder damage you take. At least half the hits I take in a DD break my engine. Even some that do no damage. (Near misses)

The tier secondary 1 gun skill basic fire training effects main batteries too. It will not show up in the tool tip when you hover you mouse over your AP or HE shell, but if you look at your guns reloading you will get a 10 percent improvement. I tested it on the Aurora and when I shot the guns the guns counted down from 7.5 seconds even though Tool tips showed 8.47 seconds. (10 percent may be 12 percent actually)

Probably needs more testing as I respecd on this, but I accidently took incoming fire on a commander.  While I had it the warning seemed to be going off not when shots were fired, but when I was initially targeted as shots didn't come in or close on every occasion and several times the warning went off when the enemy ship who did wind up firing at me was very close (ie: well inside the 6 sec window.) 

Reddit is discussing if we have 19 or 20 points available, as there are conflicting statements from asian and european supertesters. Also there is a rumor, that you can only learn 7 skills maximum, as the captain stops earning further points after learning the 7th skill. We really need some kind of official wiki to clear this up.

I have thought about choosing a 2nd or 3rd level 4 skill, instead of the detection range on american destroyers, as I always open up when I fire anyways. Thoughts on this? I think 3 % more fire skill added would be a big improvement on the little 127 mm spammers and 20 % more range seems so strong as well. Last stand is also always enticing.

"Edit: Reworded, due to english brainfart"

Reddit is discussing if we have 19 or 20 points available, as there are conflicting statements from asian and european supertesters. Also there is a rumor, that you can only skill 7 points maximum. We really need some kind of official wiki to clear this up.

I have thought about choosing a 2nd or 3rd level 4 skill, instead of the detection range on american destroyers, as I always open up when I fire anyways. Thoughts on this? I think 3 % more fire skill added would be a big improvement on the little 127 mm spammers and 20 % more range seems so strong as well. Last stand is also always enticing.

19 points maximum. I hit 19 on CBT (dont ask), and couldn't go higher.

There are 20 levels, and one of those levels is at "0 skill points"

19 points maximum. I hit 19 on CBT (dont ask), and couldn't go higher.

There are 20 levels, and one of those levels is at "0 skill points"

this.  I hit 19 points on my Yamato during alpha, and grounf nearly 1m xp on it after hitting it.  No sign of a 20th point.

Despite what has been mentioned about fire prevention I am still having a hard time ditching it for aiming expert, with the exception of the Warspite I had been taking fire prevention. On most ships I haven't really felt the turret turning was hurting me, would you still retrain for aiming expert anyway?

I had also been taking high alert over superintendent on everything but destroyers (though I planned to get it as a second t3 skill for BBs), would it be better to take superintendent first for the battleships? Also is it necessary at all for cruisers (haven't hit t6 yet)?

Despite what has been mentioned about fire prevention I am still having a hard time ditching it for aiming expert, with the exception of the Warspite I had been taking fire prevention. On most ships I haven't really felt the turret turning was hurting me, would you still retrain for aiming expert anyway?

I had also been taking high alert over superintendent on everything but destroyers (though I planned to get it as a second t3 skill for BBs), would it be better to take superintendent first for the battleships? Also is it necessary at all for cruisers (haven't hit t6 yet)?

The turret traverse is a comfort skill so if you can make it work without then sure. But I mean, the gun handling mods in wot are comfort mods but you'd always take it on a chinese tank right? There have been shots I've taken to great effect on cruisers about to get into cover because I had an extra 25% rotation speed.

High Alert vs Superintendent is a personal choice on battleships because both do useful things. I burn all four of my rep charges in a lot of my games because I'm extremely aggressive. Although if you build for fire suppression (fire suppression mod, BoS, fireproof flag) you can get the fire time down to just over 30s and not give a shit about fires (that's my Warspite build and I'm thinking about using it on my American BBs as well). 

For the cruisers, again, personal preference. For high tier cruisers you totally want superintendent because you get the repair cooldown, but in the mid-tiers high alert is going to be more useful. I took the long view and got super first but in retrospect it might have been more sensible to get High Alert. The ORDER in which you take skills is another debate!

I have to disagree on Vigilance. None of the tier 3 skills are actually useful for cruisers before tier 9 (9 and 10 get the BB repair ability, right?) but vigilance is the only one that does anything on them.

The skill is also more about keeping your pubbies from randomly exploding than keeping your own ship safe, although it can be beneficial if you're forced to deal with a DD on a cap point.

Although if you build for fire suppression (fire suppression mod, BoS, fireproof flag) you can get the fire time down to just over 30s and not give a shit about fires (that's my Warspite build and I'm thinking about using it on my American BBs as well). 

How can you guarantee you'll always have the fireproof flag?