OnboardG1

Onboard reviews the crew skills

4 BB Heals Properly Used is like 60% extra health vs 45%. That's quite a big increase yes. Also gives you more fighter plane to shoot down pesky Bombers! :3

Dodging a torpedo or two is an easy 10k health and flooding avoided; it's worth more than theoretical 10k health(because not all damage can be repaired, such as citadel hits or torpedo hits, and you are not guaranteed to last long enough to fire off repair 4 times if you got hit by torpedoes/citadelhits earlier) or slightly faster repair(because flooding does a lot of damage that you don't have as many skills to alleviate, and you are not guaranteed to receive enough critical hits to need repairs, assuming your "varying speed and course" is effective).

At mid-tiers, against broken DD like Minekaze, Vigilance is useful on Battleships.

Feel free to disregard it for cruisers...etc.

Most of the time you're playing a battleship and see a torpedo, you're not the one that spotted it.  If you're alone and there are no friendly planes nearby, a small boost to torp detection range won't save you if you're oblivious to the danger of an unseen destroyer nearby.  One of the main things to watch on the mini-map is where the enemy destroyers are, and know where they're likely to be if you haven't found one yet.

A lot of the general crew skill explanation videos and guides are ok, but like the other game, when you are keeping that captain/crew in that ship, and keeping that ship are a bit wrong.

For example, at the current meta having the superintendent skill on a cruiser below tier 9 is useless, all you get is an extra aircraft, which will be useless even with premium aircraft based on the time length of the battle. I stupidly got that on my Cleveland and now have to retrain. :'(

My favorite cruiser, the Aoba, I'm thinking that getting most of the T3 and below skills as the T4 don't do much for this ship.

The current method in game for retraining your captains is a bit wrong atm, at least compared to WoT.

I reckon vigilance is just one of those skills you pick up if you're still struggling with torpedoes. Now, you can cry "learn2play noob" all you want. But if you accept that your level of skill is such that you're struggling, why not take the skill that helps? Two seconds may not be a lot, but it may be enough to take you from "eat all the torpedoes" to "only one? That's fine."

Superintendent is the tits on BBs though. Question with regards to it and heal (damage party? I think, fuck similar names). Does the flag add to amount healed, or just speed up the rate at which you get it. So over 16s seconds instead of 20? (Or 8 and 10, I can't remember from here.) 

Superintendent is the tits on BBs though. Question with regards to it and heal (damage party? I think, fuck similar names). Does the flag add to amount healed, or just speed up the rate at which you get it. So over 16s seconds instead of 20? (Or 8 and 10, I can't remember from here.) 

The HP recovery always lasts 28 seconds. The flag is supposed to boost the overall recovery by 20%, so I guess each tick recovers 20% more than without the flag. Not that I've ever payed enough attention to it to notice any change.

Most of the time you're playing a battleship and see a torpedo, you're not the one that spotted it.  If you're alone and there are no friendly planes nearby, a small boost to torp detection range won't save you if you're oblivious to the danger of an unseen destroyer nearby.  One of the main things to watch on the mini-map is where the enemy destroyers are, and know where they're likely to be if you haven't found one yet.

You can't expect everyone to do their work in pubs...

You can't expect everyone to do their work in pubs...

Right, but if you routinely find yourself playing without another ship around, you're playing differently than I am.  Keep using Vigilance if you want to, it's your commander.  I think it's marginally useful in a few situations, while Superintendent is a skill that I use every battle.  It's rare that I don't use all four heals.

Would Last Stand be good on IJN CAs? I Find myself with damaged steering - engine quite often in them and when I've just put out fire started by HE Spamming ships this end up fatal sometimes...

Would Last Stand be good on IJN CAs? I Find myself with damaged steering - engine quite often in them and when I've just put out fire started by HE Spamming ships this end up fatal sometimes...

once you get the Ibuki your steering and engine almost never get hit. Even in the mogami its pretty rare. 

This is my take on the crew skills (so far US Destroyers, IJN Destroyers, IJN Cruisers). I will keep the playlist updated. And btw, thanks for this topic. It gives some nice insight on the level I want to see in WoWs. There are not many there in WoWs land ;)

Stuck on choosing between aiming expert and fire prevention for Tirpitz, the effects for both seem so minimal given how good its turret traverse is already. Which is less bad...

Basic Firing Training: -10% reload time to guns under 155mm, +10% to AA efficiency

- Great skill. I'm not sure whether the DPM boost applies to the main battery but the increase in secondary battery performance is pretty excellent on its own, certainly on CAs and Battleships.

It does boost DPM on main battery. Took about half a second off of the reload on my Sims :)

So far I've taken two commanders high enough to reach tier 5 and beyond, and I've opted for Preventative Maintenance on both my Montana and Yamato.  With the Tirpitz release and ranked battles I haven't played my 10s much since.  I don't even know if it's actually a straight-up 34% reduction, but it feels like it's making a significant difference in keeping AA/secondaries alive and thus lowering overall HE damage taken.  Jack of All trades seems less impressive for battleships.  The faster heal CD can be good, but the plane is usually pretty marginal so the skill seems less useful than on cruisers and destroyers.

So has anyone figured out how much Preventative Maintenance actually works?  Whip out your fancy math.

So far I've taken two commanders high enough to reach tier 5 and beyond, and I've opted for Preventative Maintenance on both my Montana and Yamato.  With the Tirpitz release and ranked battles I haven't played my 10s much since.  I don't even know if it's actually a straight-up 34% reduction, but it feels like it's making a significant difference in keeping AA/secondaries alive and thus lowering overall HE damage taken.  Jack of All trades seems less impressive for battleships.  The faster heal CD can be good, but the plane is usually pretty marginal so the skill seems less useful than on cruisers and destroyers.

So has anyone figured out how much Preventative Maintenance actually works?  Whip out your fancy math.

If it does lower HE damage, then oh boy....

On 7/16/2015, 10:38:12, OnboardG1 said:

Expert Rear Gunner: 10% boost to bomber self defence

--I don't play carriers so I can't really say how useful this one is, but it doesn't seem exactly great. Bombers already get rekt by fighters, so making them 10% less rekt is still rekt. Basics of Survivability seems like a more useful choice to survive bomber rushes than this skill.

You'll still get rekt if the enemy CV decides to send his fighters your way, but it's a pretty good skill at getting rid of catapult fighter(s) so you can get a clean shot.

I sent a PM to ArdRaeiss with the following questions in regards to Preventative Maintenance:

-What is considered a "module" for the purposes of that ability?  Do AA and Secondary emplacements count?

-When a shell hits, for example, the Tirpitz's torpedo tubes, is Preventative Maintenance calculated after the shell damage has already been applied?  So an HE shell could do 3k damage to the torpedo tubes, but then has a chance from Preventative Maintenance to not incapacitate the tubes?

-Does "incapacitate" include both temporary (repairable) and permanent (destroyed gun turrets) states?

So far he hasn't replied back and I don't know if he will.  If anybody knows the answers to these or has a way of getting them from someone at WG that does, I'd appreciate the help.

Might as well put this here, the torp detection skill stacks with the hydroacoustic ability proxy range buff (pushes german cruiser ability to near 4.2 km torp detect with it), the equipment does not (no 7.5km dd proxy :( )