WhymeLyu

Arty Tip: "The Great Right Button Method" for Less Bloom

Recently I just started playing arty for more female crew. And obviously there aren't too much info at Wotlabs on how to get good at arty. So I figured that I might contribute a little bit on my own.

Among Chinese WoT community there's an arty tip called "The Great Right Button Method(右键大法)". The gist of it is:

When you need to rotate / move your hull, hold right mouse button (RMB for short) to lock you gun barrel. Only move your gun when your hull is static.

Here's one way to do it: Instead of just Ctrl+right-click on the minimap when re-aiming, do the following:

1. Hold RMB to lock your gun barrel
  2. Press shift to exit strategy mode
  3. Rotate the hull to aim cover the new location w/ your gun arc
  4. Press X to lock hull
  5. Press shift to enter strategy mode, move your mouse to overlook at the new location
  6. Release RMB, aim as usual

If all goes well, you would notice that the reticle bloom is much smaller than simply Ctrl+right-click re-aiming.

You could also apply this tip when dodging counter-arty fire and relocating.

Is this science or voodoo?

Science for sure. Some fine dudes who bring XVM to Chinese server (l10n and dedicated rating system) figured out how the reticle bloom is calculated. I'm not sure if I'm authorized to re-post this, but if you can read Chinese (or give Google Translate a try) you can read the full text here: http://xvm.garphy.com/?p=1733

Does this work for non-arty vehicles?

Yes. The blooming mechanics are the same for all types of vehicles. But it's more noticeable for arty. Actually I might have seen someone mentioned this tip at Wotlabs forum already. But memory fades.

Hope this tip helps you get better at clicking. Now that I need to click the other button (and hold it!) as well, this clicker thing is becoming too much for me...

I didn't know that. :facepalm: :potato:

So thanks. 
I guess this might be due to  8.6 hitting just as I started to leave the newbie phase and the Priest kept me from playing much arty. So I never read arty guides pre-8.6 and didn't bother with the ancient ones when missions hit and I started to click.
There might be more people with a similar story, so this is a helpful post.

I didn't know that. :facepalm: :potato:

So thanks. 
I guess this might be due to  8.6 hitting just as I started to leave the newbie phase and the Priest kept me from playing much arty. So I never read arty guides pre-8.6 and didn't bother with the ancient ones when missions hit and I started to click.
There might be more people with a similar story, so this is a helpful post.

That trick never got made "public" - at least on EU.

This trick seems to preclude you from using the right click on the minimap to change where you are looking in strategic mode.  Is that fair to say?

The hardest shot to get off quickly is the first, because you are still moving to a good spot when you load and you are still aiming when your loaded gun is ready to hit the first guy.  

My procedure has been to hold right mouse for about the 10 seconds prior to getting to my first location, to turn to the right location, then to release the right mouse button for just the instant it takes me to right click a location on the minimap.  The bloom for this is terrible, but better than not holding right mouse button.  Will the OP's procedure greatly improve my results?

Also, the bloom seems to be affected by how fast you move your reticle to a new location.  For instance, I suspect that slowly dragging your reticle towards the target is better than RMB, drag to final location and release.  I have no proof, but it feels better.  

Also also, why do you exit strategic mode?  I just RMB and rotate the tank in strategic mode.  

I'm such a newbie at arty.  I don't really know where to go on half the maps...

Hi all. This took me a while, but please enjoy my humble translation of the link in the OP (http://xvm.garphy.com/?p=1733).

I interpreted the original Chinese blog post as faithfully as I could. The parts in italics are my own understanding of what the writer was trying to convey. I omitted some useless or garbled parts, but the essential details are there. Please note that aiming circle/reticule bloom in my translation are used interchangeably. Also, LOL at the last 2 lines. 

---

Introduction to Aiming - How to Effectively Reduce Aim Time 
Posted on June 2, 2013 by adri1

This article came out about two weeks ago, aiming to explain the formula when it should have been publicly released. But (someone) was busy with new efficiency values.

FYI, it should be released within two weeks. Within the next 7 days (during the weekend), a link to the queries about the demo will be released

Why is the circle so huge?

There are many factors that influence reticule bloom, and each of them is independent.

Factors including vehicles moving back and forth, turning, turret rotation and firing.

The first 3 factors to calculate this are basically: 

Speed
a. Bloom from vehicle moving back/forth = Movement speed * Movement bloom coefficient 
b. Bloom from vehicle turning = Turning Speed * Turning bloom coefficient 
c. Bloom from turret rotation = Turret rotation speed * Turret rotation speed coefficient 

d. Bloom from firing has 2 factors, firing a single shot vs. firing consecutive shots 

Then, we have 4 factors. 

The final bloom coefficient forumla is [(a^2+b^2+c^2+d^2)* Vertical Stability Coefficient^2 + 1]^0.5 * Theoretical Minimal Bloom (note: Theoretical Minimal Bloom is based on crew proficiency and relevant skills)

End of Section 1 

---

Section 2 - How does the circle become smaller? 

Factors that affect the aim time are as follows: 
Bloom coefficient and Theoretical Aim Time 

We know that the circle becomes smaller over time, and the speed of which that happens depends on the following rules.

The current bloom size = Initial bloom size*e^(Actual time taken for bloom to start shrinking / Theoretical Aim Time) 

This is a diagram, where the vertical axis denotes the circle size and the horizontal axis denotes time (0.1s units) 

We can see that over time, the speed at which the circle shrinks gradually decreases, until the circle size is equal to the minimal circle size theoretically possible. 

End of Section 2

--- 

Section 3 - Section 3 was written because I guess you probably still don't understand

With the basic knowledge above, how can we make the circle size as small as possible? 

First, if conditions permit, try to not activate multiple factors.

For example, a, b and c all have 3 separate coefficients. If all 3 come in play, your circle size is affected by the sum of the various coefficients (a+b+c).  

If it is within your control to prevent the activation of one of these factors, the circle size will then be determined by the largest coefficient among the activated factors. 

These are commonly seen methods:
1. Hold down the RMB to lock the gun barrel in place to avoid the turret rotation factor. (Wait for the aiming circle to decrease in size as you see fit, then manually adjust your aim in a minute way.)

2. Do not turn last minute, anticipate and be already turned and ready. 

Secondly, if you want a small circle, try to slow down. 
Think turning quickly is an advantage? Wrong and wrong.
The reticule bloom is instantaneous, while turret rotation and vehicle turning speed cannot be controlled. Hence, once you perform these actions, the maximum value is obtained. This is why vehicles similar to the SU-8 have small circles after turning. 

Reduce your speed:
1. Go easy on the acceleration, this effectively reduces the bloom from your vehicle moving back/forth. 
2. The gun controls your turret rotation speed, traversing your turret gradually (instead of flicking it to aim somewhere) will instead reduce the time it takes for you to (aim and) get off a shot. 
3. Stupid Westerners did not devise a method to allow the vehicle to traverse slowly (in a slower fashion). 

Alright, that's all. The old lady's calling. 

This trick seems to preclude you from using the right click on the minimap to change where you are looking in strategic mode.  Is that fair to say?

Correct. But here's another aiming trick accompanies this tip really well:

• In arcade mode, point your crosshair to a high building / hill / ridge near your final target
  • Press shift key to enter strategy mode. You're now aiming at the same building / hill / ridge, which is close enough to your final target.
  • (Release RMB and) aim as usual

If there's no building / hill available, you can try aiming at the sky instead. This will bring your aiming view to the edge of the map after entering strategy mode, which might be good enough as well. Think aiming toward A1 from A8 at El Halluf.

My procedure has been to hold right mouse for about the 10 seconds prior to getting to my first location, to turn to the right location, then to release the right mouse button for just the instant it takes me to right click a location on the minimap.  The bloom for this is terrible, but better than not holding right mouse button.  Will the OP's procedure greatly improve my results?  

You're probably doing fine already, sir.

Also, the bloom seems to be affected by how fast you move your reticle to a new location.  For instance, I suspect that slowly dragging your reticle towards the target is better than RMB, drag to final location and release.  I have no proof, but it feels better.  

Yes. If you don't have to rotate your hull, don't use this trick at all. But if hull rotation is incurred for sure, the blooming of hull rotation is dominating. And mechanics-wise this trick makes hull rotation blooming and gun moving blooming don't get triggered at the same time, which is the whole point here.

Also also, why do you exit strategic mode?  I just RMB and rotate the tank in strategic mode.  

That was just one way to do it. Hold RMB and rotate is good on blooming as well especially when you don't have to re-aim to a far away location (which would require a lot of mouse dragging).

hmm... I'll try this out but I doubt it would make much of a difference with my M12.  The reload is so long that aiming speed is rarely an issue.

Don't question the God-Emperor!  :QBFlip:

Also: This forum is dedicated to improving game play. There is no good reason to delete a good guide just because of the tank class it's for not being liked. You could apply the same reasoning to remove all advice on the Waffle or the 183...
Hell tomatoes would apply that reasoning to prohibit content on medium tanks.
Did you also consider that arty can benefit greatly from skill? Just because the average clicker is terrible doesn't mean that the class can't be played well. You can't deny that there is a huge difference between watching an arty pro click and average joe.
Don't be a denier.

Suffering from deep red sht loards over and over again, esp. from those who apt to not shoot 8+ tanks in the open for 2-3 minutes just to make sure, to xvm-focus-click the only parpl in the enemy team pre-aiming for whole 2 minutes at the location he was spotted last time is bad enough. Facing random blue-/nicums KNOWING how to play it is even worse, latest shall get at least 1h ban for every clicker game they play outside of tourneys/cw/team battles imo. But thats wishful thinking.

The post provides valid advice how to click better and thats actually the worst part about it.

Suffering from deep red sht loards over and over again, esp. from those who apt to not shoot 8+ tanks in the open for 2-3 minutes just to make sure, to xvm-focus-click the only parpl in the enemy team pre-aiming for whole 2 minutes at the location he was spotted last time is bad enough. Facing random blue-/nicums KNOWING how to play it is even worse, latest shall get at least 1h ban for every clicker game they play outside of tourneys/cw/team battles imo. But thats wishful thinking.

The post provides valid advice how to click better and thats actually the worst part about it.

I don't like arty, odds are if you are reading this you don't either but it is a part of the game, it is a mechanic within the game and as such it deserves to be discussed rationally along side all the others. Whether we like it or not is irrelevant.

Read Solono's thread in News and Announcements.