Boreasos

For Eurotankers: Eu1 Or Eu2?

Always wondered if there is any statistically significant difference in the skill level of tankers on our two servers. Has anyone had any personal experience with this, or collected any data to hint of any differences?

I imagine you could check out the average winrate by server, although that wouldn't do much more than tell you the frequency of draws. Still, it might be a useful proxy for skill.

I thought the servers were regional, and that they could just pick which one they wanted to log into.

I thought the servers were regional, and that they could just pick which one they wanted to log into.

You can pick which one you want, or let it auto select based on ping and load. You have to be in the same server to platoon and the such.

I was thinking maybe one server had a higher concentration of baddies, if all people who are good@tanks gravitate to the other. I have no data on this of course, but maybe someone here has some.

Most of my clanmates prefer playing on EU1, but for no particular reason, they just think it is better and they mock me when they find out I'm on EU2. For me, there is no big difference. It may be psychological thing... like if you're having streak of losses, you may want to switch servers in hope to get better teams and MM (I usually do this, when I am too many times in the bottom tier, I switch servers. Sometimes, it works, but as I said it might be only psychological). 

And there's also a small difference in pings. I usually have a bit better ping on EU2 and I guess it's because it's not usually as crowded as EU1. 

Interesting, I never thought about that.

I guess most pubbies just autoselect (so do I). There are probably a few soloplayers that prefer one particular server for whatever reason, but that shouldn't make much of a difference gameplay or skill-lvl-wise. My guess is that differences - if there are any after all - result of important clans prefering one of these servers.

Well, are there any clans that prefer one server over another? If yes, why?

IIRC QB plays on EU2, which might attract some fangirls, but don't quote me on that.

Used to play on WoT 1 all the time, but now I just tend to switch between em when I solo.

Both servers are in a different location, which, depending on where you are on the internet, explains the difference in ping.

I have played on both extensively. There is no difference really in terms of player base.

EU2 gives me slightly lower ping, so I usually play there. Late at night I often switch to EU1, if the population drops below about 7k. Below that MM anomalies seem to occur more often and queue times increase, especially when platooned.

Sometimes when I want to play a certain tank and there is an exceptionally bad map rotation for it, I might switch servers.

Lol Nilz, you think 7K is low. When im playing on NA they can drop down as low as 1500. Most of the time NA west is 5K or lower, except for prime time :P

On other news, holy thread necro...

I know it is much lower in NA. That is not the point. My point is that I have noticed a significant increase in MM anomalies and queue times below the 5-7k mark. EU1 typically has 1.5-2.0x the amount of players that EU2 has, so I switch servers.

Did not notice the necro. Saw the thread at the top because of the reply above me.

That makes sense, since you are UK. EU2 is at the AMS/IX (Amsterdam Internet Exchange) and EU1 in the Eastern part of Germany. Your traffic to Germany is likely to pass through the AMS/IX first anyway.

IIRC the server that used to be located in Munich (EU1) was moved to Amsterdam as well.

Yep - http://ftr.wot-news.com/2014/02/15/on-lags/

silly question time then, so would i be better playing on EU2?

You're probably better off playing on the server with the better ping. Autoselect loggs you into this server automatically. Late nicht you might want to play on the more populated server.

thanks

dont very often play late night, as i work shifts i tend to do most of my tanking on days off while my son is at school so 9 am - 3pm

IIRC the server that used to be located in Munich (EU1) was moved to Amsterdam as well.

Missed that. Weird, you would think they'd put them side by side and get similar ping to either server. My ping to EU1 is consistently twice my ping to EU2. Not that I'd even notice the difference between 20 and 40... :)

You're probably better off playing on the server with the better ping. Autoselect loggs you into this server automatically. Late nicht you might want to play on the more populated server.

Sorry, this information is outdated. The EU1 server is located in germany, Frankfurt/Main. There were some posts on the german WOT forum: http://forum.worldoftanks.eu/index.php?/topic/379936-veroeffentlichung-der-version-90-am-mittwoch-den-16-april/page__st__200__pid__7820808#entry7820808 and the more or less official post from WARGAMER: http://forum.worldoftanks.eu/index.php?/topic/380272-download-ole-ran-et-lueppt/page__st__20__pid__7822826#entry7822826

So for EU2 still beeing located in Amsterdam and EU1 beeing located in Frankfurt/Main ... it might be possible to have less east european players on EU2 that on EU1. But as also CW is on EU2, I'd expect only a slight difference in the skill level of the players. I usually use EU1 as primary server as I have a much better ping to that.

You want to be on EU1 for all TB's and companies. That is where all the teams go. 

For randoms it doesn't matter hugely. EU2 gets me better ping here in Scotland, but the Eastern bloc tends to prefer EU1. Never noticed any difference in player quality between the two.

I haven't really noticed much of a difference between servers, but most of my gaming is done between 1-9 in the morning