Solono

Anime Thread 3.1: It's Entertaining Only If You Masturbate

9 hours ago, GoddamnMoistOwlettesTesla said:

You either need to like Cowboy Bebop's style or have to be a "old anime is best" snob to watch it. Deathnote and AoT make for perfect anime poster children. 

I'm an old fart so I actually saw Cowboy Bebop when it was pretty new. It's not just nostalgia though, I do enjoy the style even though it is dated compared to newer series. Mostly I like it because it doesn't really feel like an anime. No one's a highschool student, there's no awkwardly useless girl characters and it doesn't have weird cutesy comedy(?) segments that completely break the flow. Hellsing Ultimate was particularly bad about that last one. 

I liked Death Note and AoT well enough, but DN's second half was kinda meh and AoT had a ton of filler in it. Good series, but not great ones.

Also anime is totally cartoons.

@megaflex4000

Give 91 Days a try. It distances itself from Japanese cliches and instead is inspired by western mafia/crime cliches stories. It's also very dark and serious for dark and serious people such as yourself.

7 hours ago, megaflex4000 said:

I'm an old fart so I actually saw Cowboy Bebop when it was pretty new. It's not just nostalgia though, I do enjoy the style even though it is dated compared to newer series. Mostly I like it because it doesn't really feel like an anime. No one's a highschool student, there's no awkwardly useless girl characters and it doesn't have weird cutesy comedy(?) segments that completely break the flow. Hellsing Ultimate was particularly bad about that last one. 

I liked Death Note and AoT well enough, but DN's second half was kinda meh and AoT had a ton of filler in it. Good series, but not great ones.

Also anime is totally cartoons.

large.jpg

I showed the Shelter music video to my family and they actually enjoyed it, and some commented on how beautiful the art was. I know it might sound cheesey, but I honestly wish that people could see anime that way. But unfortunately most see it as nothing more than a bunch of weird, highly sexualised, cancerous bullshit. And this is sadly because of the heavy saturation of these kinda of shows nowadays. Plus the actions of a few people (the "otaku") being seen as the intentions of the anime community as a whole.

5 minutes ago, Deus__Ex__Machina said:

I showed the Shelter music video to my family and they actually enjoyed it, and some commented on how beautiful the art was. I know it might sound cheesey, but I honestly wish that people could see anime that way. But unfortunately most see it as nothing more than a bunch of weird, highly sexualised, cancerous bullshit. And this is sadly because of the heavy saturation of these kinda of shows nowadays. Plus the actions of a few people (the "otaku") being seen as the intentions of the anime community as a whole.

Preach

PS: Does anyone know where I can find the full version of the Shuumatsu no Izetta ED? It's absolutely amazing

Read everyone arguing about which name I can't pronounce is the best show.

And here I am drooling over the visuals in this year's RWBY volume.  Seriously, only one episode in and it's obvious Rooster Teeth did a hell of a job.

7 minutes ago, WhichOneIsWill said:

And here I am drooling over the visuals in this year's RWBY volume.  Seriously, only one episode in and it's obvious Rooster Teeth did a hell of a job.

The animation this season looks shit TBH.The visuals do look better (though that's not saying much) since they're using Autodesk Maya now instead of Poser but.the animation itself looks WAAAAY worse.

Got to episode 7 of Darker Than Black, things were looking good aaaaaand now there's a pink-haired teen girl doing a slapstick comedy bit with a Bogart detective figure.

Do anime directors not understand the concept of tone? Is there some massive cultural gap that I just can't bridge? What the fuck?

Like I'm not saying everything has to be 100% grimdark all the time, but the show went from a woman dealing with her violent mercenary past(and then being brutally murdered for it) into Leslie Nielsen-tier comedy. Am I the only one who finds these kinds of massive genre-swings really jarring?

Gonna check out Baccano and 91 Days next and hope against hope they don't do the same shit.

1 hour ago, megaflex4000 said:

Got to episode 7 of Darker Than Black, things were looking good aaaaaand now there's a pink-haired teen girl doing a slapstick comedy bit with a Bogart detective figure.

Do anime directors not understand the concept of tone? Is there some massive cultural gap that I just can't bridge? What the fuck?

Like I'm not saying everything has to be 100% grimdark all the time, but the show went from a woman dealing with her violent mercenary past(and then being brutally murdered for it) into Leslie Nielsen-tier comedy. Am I the only one who finds these kinds of massive genre-swings really jarring?

Gonna check out Baccano and 91 Days next and hope against hope they don't do the same shit.

Welcome to cancer animes :doge:

On 10/22/2016 at 5:55 PM, Lockhart77 said:

Can't sleep so ended up watching Bakemono No Ko, its pretty good and a great watch for family type of movie, although I have to say it can really use some more excitement. Then there's Aki no Kanade that's practically like a love letter to a certain kind of passion.

i watched it... so good, wish it were longer or had a sequel =3

5 hours ago, Lockhart77 said:

:serb: sold :serb:

pretty much

3 hours ago, WhichOneIsWill said:

yeh

3 hours ago, robosapieo said:

The animation this season looks shit TBH.The visuals do look better (though that's not saying much) since they're using Autodesk Maya now instead of Poser but.the animation itself looks WAAAAY worse.

meh

4 hours ago, megaflex4000 said:

I think there's an abundance of cultural differences at a fundamental level between the east and west that influence the creative side of things produced. That said, anime has never been known for its strong writing. When I talk about fundamental differences in creativity, a good way to see this is taking a look at well-known modern artists (such as concept ones) from North America and then Japan and Korea. I've always felt like there's something inexplicably different about the two (which is usually apparent just by looking at it, but I mean in the sense of where things come from), but I can't really say what and I don't think I ever will be able to since I was raised in America and not one of those societies.

-

Seeing Kurugaya get serious business in LB bumped the show up on my list a few notches. Unfortunately my gif capturing seems to have lost a few frames, but oh well.

Don't fuck with with the cubs or mamabear gonna come for you!

mTpOQ2b.gif

The show is really quintessential JCStaff... somewhere between the lands of good and great quality visually, with moments of greatness sprinkled around. If nothing else, they're consistently above average most of the time, even if just a little bit, which is something I greatly appreciate and have enjoyed over the years; consistency. Their ability to maintain quality over the course of ~100 episodes in shows like Index/Railgun makes them one of my favorites.

19 hours ago, An_Arty_Player_Hits_You said:

i watched it... so good, wish it were longer or had a sequel =3

Yeh, the single episode doesn't really justify the amount of existential crisis and struggle Aki seems to go through :doge:

This Yuri on ice is so good:serb:@Rexxie You should watch this shizzle :doge:

1 hour ago, Lockhart77 said:

This Yuri on ice is so good:serb:@Rexxie You should watch this shizzle :doge:

Hah...GAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYY

JK I also really like it

So, for the past few days I watched a 51 episode anime called Glass no Kamen (2005),
TL;DR : How the fuck have I never heard of this anime before I randomly came across it.
2043.jpg
Short review:
It's about a young girl, named Maya, who for her whole life was told that she was a useless POS, by her mom and pseudo family. She would easily get sucked in by TV dramas, movies, and plays, thus forgetting whatever task she was doing, making her late for "home-work" and very clumsy. Then one day, in the park as Maya was entertaining children, she was discovered by a old famous actress, and Maya's enormous talent for acting came to light. This story is about her rise from the poor streets to fame, despite very harsh and traumatic conditions. All for the love of acting.

I began this anime not expecting much, a simple acting/stage anime with some well animated plays and perhaps some good BG music.
I got much more than that, I got a brilliant cast of deep and interesting characters each with their own ambitions and goal-set that they strive to achieve over the course of the show.
The fleshed out main cast is the real strength of this anime, how their roles in Maya's life evolve over time was a true joy to watch.

The plays were pretty good as well, I even knew a few! They were depicted about as well as I could expect in anime form, considering the plays are several hours long, focusing on key points of the plays to get the story across. I kinda likened this anime to a shonen series at times, where the plays were the big battle scene, and the majority of the show is outside of the stage, showing the trials of getting into character and auditioning for new roles, aka the training arcs, only done a helluva lot better than shounen anime.

Animation wise, it's pretty high for 2005, it was done by Tokyo Movie Shinsha, the same studio that did Akira and Rose of Versailles. 
The source I watched was a decent quality DVD encode, which was about as good as DVD quality gets.
God I would have loved to have watched this in bluray, if only it existed in that format T_T
Everything was well depicted, highly detailed, and was consistent all the way through. I have zero complaints.
Well except 1 minor scene. Its Helen Keller guys, get your name's straight!

The music was well, weird. A good weird though, complete with serious spooky acting music, and inspirational tunes. It was a little repetitive however.  

Overall I am extremely pleased with this anime, it's one that I will miss and look back fondly upon. Perhaps I will one day rewatch it in 5+ years time when my memories inevitably fade...

On 10/23/2016 at 3:42 PM, robosapieo said:

PS: Does anyone know where I can find the full version of the Shuumatsu no Izetta ED? It's absolutely amazing

It's not out yet, the main May'n site says it will be an 11/23 release.
See here: http://mayn.jp/光ある場所へ/

Finished S1 of Bungou Stray Dogs. It was kinda hard to take this show seriously at first, mostly due to the excessive amounts of comic relief throughout the show. The show would get serious for like 5 min and would then suddenly throw in unwanted comic relief which I repeatedly found to be nothing more than annoying as fuck. And to top it off the last 3 episodes got fairly heavy in nature, but by that point it held no meaning due to the lack of plot development in the first 9 episodes to begin with....I'll still continue to watch Season 2, though mostly in hopes of it dropping the senseless and awkward excuse for "comedy"

13 hours ago, Rexxie said:

watching :3

I'm curious on what's your take on it :3

The show seems to have the usual formula of a sport movie like Rocky for example, MC have a bad shizzle going on and works up on regaining the top position with training montage embedded throughout. What makes it interesting for me so far are the ice skating scenes themselves that are preddy noicely animated (and dem lightning) along the side characters accompanying the main character, it also keeps a light atmosphere going on. Kinda hope they put more smoother moves tho on that 3rd episode but still well done :hb: 

17 hours ago, LordSilen said:

So, for the past few days I watched a 51 episode anime called Glass no Kamen (2005),
TL;DR : How the fuck have I never heard of this anime before I randomly came across it.
2043.jpg

I was on the edge of my seat with that show. I felt really silly being caught up in all the shojo melodrama, but it was just so easy to get sucked into.

Really great show out of left field. I'd put it right up there with Denno Coil on the list of shows that don't get talked about enough.

On an unrelated note, it's no FlipFlappers (which isn't shocking if you look at the ridiculous talent in both quantity and quality that's touched that show), but Matoi is proving to be pretty enjoyable. It has some really nice moments with visuals, scenery and audio that line up very well.

I also will never get tired of Saiki tormenting the popular girl :serb:

6 hours ago, Assassin7 said:

Update: watching higirashi with 2 friends, 4 eps in and im already like holy fuck.

About to start watching konasuba tonight

lol I remember my first time watching higirashi....I was young so it was nothing short of a mind fuck.