Solono

Anime Thread 3.1: It's Entertaining Only If You Masturbate

7 hours ago, Assassin7 said:

GuP is probably my favourite anime of all time, I would guess. (Its by far my most watched and I can rewatch it over and over and over and never get tired of it) and yeah, I was expecting just a second season and that would be it for GuP, but 6 entire new movies is great

Didn't you previously say that Code Geass was your favorite anime? :fish:

JK. My favorites change all the time aswell

Just now, robosapieo said:

Didn't you previously say that Code Geass was your favorite anime? :fish:

JK. My favorites change all the time aswell

I said it was the best I have ever watched, and Ill stand by that statement. (okay actually, Your Name probably beats it by now) but its not my favourite. 

I don't know what it is about GuP, its just sooooooo good. for no particular reason. I dunno, its not even the tanks. GuP is just... great. And it was the second anime I've ever watched properly. (after SAO)

though funnily enough, I've never found someone able to take the Waifu spot away from Yuuki. however Akatsuki from Log Horizon is getting pretty close right now (so ironic, another purple girl from a show about being in a game ha)

1 minute ago, Assassin7 said:

I said it was the best I have ever watched, and Ill stand by that statement. (okay actually, Your Name probably beats it by now) but its not my favourite. 

I don't know what it is about GuP, its just sooooooo good. for no particular reason. I dunno, its not even the tanks. GuP is just... great. And it was the second anime I've ever watched properly. (after SAO)

though funnily enough, I've never found someone able to take the Waifu spot away from Yuuki. however Akatsuki from Log Horizon is getting pretty close right now (so ironic, another purple girl from a show about being in a game ha)

GuP was also my 2nd lul

BTW are the OVAs actually worth a watch? They've been sitting on my PTW list for over 17 months (man I really need to rewatch GuP). I'm thinking of watching the Azio-sen 38 min special and was wondering if I should watch the other OVAs aswell

1 minute ago, robosapieo said:

GuP was also my 2nd lul

BTW are the OVAs actually worth a watch? They've been sitting on my PTW list for over 17 months (man I really need to rewatch GuP). I'm thinking of watching the Azio-sen 38 min special and was wondering if I should watch the other OVAs aswell

the Anzio OVA is totally worth it. heck, you should probably watch it after the episode where they face anzio, cant remember what episode it is, but it shows them beating them right at the end, and then you can just go watch that OVA, then continue the show lol.

the second OVA for the movie is sorta more of a side story. no reason not to watch it but it doesn't really bring anything to the table. but if you want to see more dank tank fights, Totally watch the Anzio OVA

11 hours ago, Roku said:

2 weeks and I'll officially be living in the Motherland :kappa:

Taking my 40lbs of laserdiscs and all my gunpla with me is proving problematic in terms of logistics, I may have to leave some clothes behind to make room :doge:

RG Sinanju is an okay kit but the balance is not very good. Pretty much gotta have a stand for it to stay upright. MG Sinanju on the other hand is very well balanced.

Disc?  You mean you don't just keep anime in a hard drive?

9 hours ago, Assassin7 said:

I've never found someone able to take the Waifu spot away from Yuuki.

They still can't, because none of them are dead enough.

Rem seems way better to me(and alive, mostly).

52 minutes ago, ComradeHX said:

Wow, you eat a dick.

Rem was great. But just didnt have the waifu qualities for me. I never really considered her. 

3 hours ago, ComradeHX said:

Disc?  You mean you don't just keep anime in a hard drive?

I'm more or less an anime historian and these are my precious commodities :doge:

These are basically vinyl sized disc sleeves that have art on both sides and have a lot of inserts with things like cast interviews, more art and adverts from their time. This is a boxed set of Photon, a show that Shinya Takahashi was character designer and chief animation director on (http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/people.php?id=3568). Here's some of his more recent work too.

BwKIonA.jpg

9PwUHmg.jpg

2fpE9zu.jpg

zggR3Le.jpg

1 hour ago, Roku said:

I'm more or less an anime historian and these are my precious commodities :doge:

These are basically vinyl sized disc sleeves that have art on both sides and have a lot of inserts with things like cast interviews, more art and adverts from their time. This is a boxed set of Photon, a show that Shinya Takahashi was character designer and chief animation director on (http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/people.php?id=3568). Here's some of his more recent work too.

Do you have an actual laserdisc player or is it just for collection purposes? I've been interested in getting one ever since I found laserdisk editions of both Exit... Stage Left and A Show of Hands (live Rush albums) on a collector website. Both have certain parts uploaded to youtube, but I kinda want my own copy.

1 minute ago, Flaksmith said:

Do you have an actual laserdisc player or is it just for collection purposes? I've been interested in getting one ever since I found laserdisk editions of both Exit... Stage Left and A Show of Hands (live Rush albums) on a collector website. Both have certain parts uploaded to youtube, but I kinda want my own copy.

Well, there's a shitty story there :doge:

I bought a nice LD player from Japan and was having it imported, customs seized it for some reason, so I never got it. So I basically had a TV and Audio setup ready to go for my LD collection (also for ripping purposes), but never got the player. Hopefully going to rectify that if I can track down one of the good models in Japan (again). Was a barely used  PIONEER CLD-O7G for~300$ with working remote. I've forgotten a fair amount of what I researched but there's a handful of models that are very sought after due to their playback quality and right now they top out at like 4000$ on ebay for the last generation of top-end players.

There's some good websites out there for reading about the quirks and virtues of the tech. Pretty interesting bit of history IMO.

40 minutes ago, Roku said:

Well, there's a shitty story there :doge:

I bought a nice LD player from Japan and was having it imported, customs seized it for some reason, so I never got it. So I basically had a TV and Audio setup ready to go for my LD collection (also for ripping purposes), but never got the player. Hopefully going to rectify that if I can track down one of the good models in Japan (again). Was a barely used  PIONEER CLD-O7G for~300$ with working remote. I've forgotten a fair amount of what I researched but there's a handful of models that are very sought after due to their playback quality and right now they top out at like 4000$ on ebay for the last generation of top-end players.

There's some good websites out there for reading about the quirks and virtues of the tech. Pretty interesting bit of history IMO.

My problem would be getting an NTSC LD player, that or I'd have to go with the weird thin-sounding japanese masters, including having to track down those copies as well. Something that would be equally difficult since Rush wasn't exactly big in Japan, they did two shows in tokyo back in 84 on their Grace Under Pressure tour, but they never went back, so I doubt more than a few thousand copies exist of either one.

On ‎3‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 11:38 PM, ComradeHX said:

Spoilers jeez

EDIT(14 hours later): Just found out this is a thing that's happening

Kill me pls

No access to a 12x12 scanner and the print shops won't do it for me because copyright, so I had to just take some better pictures until I can get my own scanner ._.

Just a couple of my fav sleeves, aside from Photon's which I adore all of;

edU5pjr.jpg

IsPXJgC.jpg

X6oYbim.jpg

nhvOLMb.jpg

4D9eXgQ.jpg

1xn10cc.jpg

4otoe3S.jpg

Posters from inside the IRIA sleeves;

uBrxBXP.jpg

wcnWJn1.jpg

Shitty photos, but one side of the MAZE OVA special edition thingie is etched and it looks fabulous, but it's hard to catch with a camera;

NXyNkbh.jpg

MphpVcS.jpg

Since my collection weighs like 25kg I'm going to have to leave part of it in the US and bring it back/have it brought to me as I visit/other people come visit me.

So what are everyones opinion on the Ghost in the Shell Live action film coming out?

Im kinda skeptical. Okay, granted, I watched the original movie. But it was quite early in my whole anime career, i watched it dubbed, and I didnt really get it at all. I should probably rewatch it TBW, but as for the live action film, I dunno. A lot of anime is good for extremely specific reasons that I dont think would be possible to capture in live action. I dunno how to explain it, from the trailers It LOOKS pretty good. I suppose I will need to rewatch the anime movie, in subbed this time.  To be able to compare. I dont really remember much from it.

1 hour ago, Assassin7 said:

So what are everyones opinion on the Ghost in the Shell Live action film coming out?

Im kinda skeptical. Okay, granted, I watched the original movie. But it was quite early in my whole anime career, i watched it dubbed, and I didnt really get it at all. I should probably rewatch it TBW, but as for the live action film, I dunno. A lot of anime is good for extremely specific reasons that I dont think would be possible to capture in live action. I dunno how to explain it, from the trailers It LOOKS pretty good. I suppose I will need to rewatch the anime movie, in subbed this time.  To be able to compare. I dont really remember much from it.

Well I'm seeing it on Sunday because I got invited by a friend, but if that didn't happen I wouldn't see it. The technical aspects and effects don't really look good, I don't like what they've done with the plot from the trailers, SJ is not the right person to play the Major, especially with that ugly costume they have on her. The movie was originally supposed to be made by Steven Spielberg years ago, but that fell through. The license was going to expire so they decided to shit out this one helmed (by all accounts) a mediocre director whose biggest claim to fame is banging Kristin Stewart. Ghost in the Shell as it is would actually make for a compelling live action film--I think the content and style of it is far more suited to a film buff than the average anime fan, who are so used to eating shit they lose the ability to discern what is good or not. Production IG's focus was hyper realistic animation, which translates well to the camera (rather than anime that takes liberties with realistic depictions). Oshii himself was quite the film buff and studied in France, so he brings a lot of western influence to his style. However, a mainstream western film studio isn't going to put out a replica, a slow paced art house think piece---they turned it into what seems to be your run of the mill sci fi blockbuster. Not that the original film is particularly "deep" in regards to content, but stylistically it's fascinating. Patlabor 2 is a thematically deeper, more meaningful film than GitS and is my favorite production led by Oshii.

10 hours ago, Assassin7 said:

e799cf5c57.jpg

Major wasn't "whitewashed"...her body was supposed to look "white" in a lot of movies/manga/anime of GitS.

The real "washing" is black/brown/yellow-washing, Togusa looks too Asian(and I'm pretty sure Japanese people were more offended that a Singaporean actor was given the role), Ishikawa had pacific islander actor iirc, and Boma has african actor.

Frankenstain monster was made out of pieces of story from multiple other stories, like assault on Section 9 members from SAC; but, they did get many other things right.

I feel like money was wasted but the movie is a solid 5/10, and "whitewashing" has nothing to do with why I think it's mediocre at best.

AotS is either youjo senki or gundam ibo.

Youjo Senki is faithful(enough) adaptation of LN about Germany almost winning world war 1.5(a mix between 1 and 2) with flying, fully-clothed, loli hitler.

Gundam IBO can be summed up in one meme: "People die when they are killed."  It's just so much better than the previous few shite series(G recon...whatever, AGE, 00...etc.).

Episode 48 IBO spoiler:

wRKVaY8.png

Ironically this IBO feels a lot more like UC stuff than G recon whatever.

I personally didn't like Youjo Senki that much. It was average, maybe slightly above at best.I did find the show quite entertaining, I just don't think it was good. There was nothing original about it, and it felt like the show focused on the wrong things IMO. It should have been more about the war and the people affected by it and not "hurr durr I don't believe in god (even though he just brought me back from the dead into a world where magic exists and is making impossible shit happen)", and even that was done poorly. I haven't read the source material, but it seems to be far better than the show from what I've heard. I should check it out.