Solono

Anime Thread 3.1: It's Entertaining Only If You Masturbate

So I just finished watching angel beats. I agree with a lot of people that the show was too short, it really deserved to be 26 episodes in my opinion. Nevertheless I found it to be pretty enjoyable, but oh man the feels in that last episode; like, I've never had a tv show get me all emotional before, it was a pretty new experience for me.

On another note, I'm curious as to where all of you find out about new upcoming shows; do you hear about them from a particular website or through some other obscure connections?

http://anichart.net/fall

If you google something like "this season's anime" you'll find a bunch of similar sites.

Thanks

I use anichart also, <3 it, in mal you can also find currently airing ones as a filter, but sites like ani chart are far better if you just want a list, promo pic, synopsis, and a page with other links (like to a mal link) if you click the promo pic.. etc....

Aka... yea it's gr8 m8

The only non-sequel thing I'm watching is OPM. Rip, nothing really catches my eye but I can't even work on my backlog 

Finally Ore Ga Ojousama Gakkou ni Shomin Sample got subbed, its just gonna be a standard harem with nothing special about it but w/e

xxWWEQy.png

Is there a site with a decent algorithm that gives you suggestions on anime based on those you've already watched a la spotify or last.fm w/rt music? 

The cold months are approaching. I need to spruce up my to-watch list. 

Is there a site with a decent algorithm that gives you suggestions on anime based on those you've already watched a la spotify or last.fm w/rt music? 

Not that I know of.  All I can think of is just look at user recommended shows on MAL.  You could take a look at any of our  MALs too, see what we have highly rated I guess.  What have been some of your favorite shows?

Edited by KnobbyHobbGoblin

I've looked at many MAL lists(hurr) over the years from folks who seemed to like what I do, but I was hoping for something more specialized and automated. 
I mean there's got to be enough public data out there, all one would need is a moderately robust engine to use it. 

The issue with MAL recommendations is that you likely won't see a recommendation for a newer show, from an older show because older show info isn't updated often enough by the community.

The other option is to do an advanced search on MAL for multiple genres and look through them one by one to find all the shows that you might like, rather than see the same shows recommended all the time.

Edited by Zezti

Perhaps Saya no Uta will be the only VN other than Princess Walt that I will complete? Fat chance of that, but that also reminds me that I need to start Vol.6 of Hakomari at some point. As far as the -monogatari series goes, I'm in need of a rewatch. Usually, I hate rewatching anything I've already seen, but I have entire chunks of the series missing from my memory. It's one of those shows that I like, but could never be absorbed into. So decided to watch a random episode of Bakemonogatari in the shower today, because I'm a lazy fuck. It turns out, I could actually focus on the show and didn't feel like I was wasting my time becauase, well... I forgot nearly half of what I saw. This is going to be a long process if that's the only way I can watch it.

I've looked at many MAL lists(hurr) over the years from folks who seemed to like what I do, but I was hoping for something more specialized and automated. 
I mean there's got to be enough public data out there, all one would need is a moderately robust engine to use it. 

Care to share what you are looking for? I'm willing to manually recommend shows. :)

Well since you're offering.. 
Off the top of my head (not in any particular order of preference):

I like psychological stuff like Paranoia Agent or Monster

Action like Black Lagoon, Baccano, Parasyte, etc.

I'm a huge sucker for sci fi that isn't mecha; Planetes, GitS

Comedy like Shin Chan 

idk what genre would you call something like Mushishi? Fantasy?

I'm generally not a fan of slice of life or teenage romance. I guess Clannad would be an example of a show that was definitely not my cup of tea. 

And now that I wrote that, I realize that I have no idea what it is that I'm looking for. This is where the all-knowing AI would come in handy. 

Death Note I guess

Those are all very different action shows, so here's a swath of different suggestions:
Kekkai Sensen, Jormungand, Phantom, Darker than Black
Psycho-Pass, Ergo Proxy

Although I haven't watched it, Natsume Yuujinchou has been on my watchlist for a while, and it sounds pretty similar to Mushishi

Here's what I got off the top of my head

I enjoyed Death Note... until the 2nd story arc. 

Loved the first season of Darker than Black. My kind of show. 2nd season was so so.

Phantom as in Requiem for the Phantom? Saw it but don't remember too much of the show tbh, save for the girl who grows up to be the baddass biker. I think that made more of an impression on me than the two main killers combined. 

Watched the first few episodes of Jormungand but it didn't really grab me.

Haven't sen Kekkai Sensen. Will add it to my list.

Psycho Pass: Pretty good. Only wished the side characters saw more development than they got, and that the art style wasn't so, idk, sterile? I mean I usually don't rip on anime for the animation/style, but you could tell they were using all the bells and whistles, yet something with far less complex scenes like Trigun had way more character to it. Ahem. But I digress. Loved Makeshima. And 'dem brains. :look:

Really enjoyed Ergo Proxy, even though it got a little silly at the end.  

Have not seen Natsume Yuujinchou either. Will add that one as well. 

Thanks, mate. The list has begun. 

gonna add a few more to that list:

You could give Mononoke a shot

http://myanimelist.net/anime/2246/Mononoke

it shares some similarities with Mushishi

For Paranoia Agent I can give you Serial Experiments Lain

http://myanimelist.net/anime/339/Serial_Experiments_Lain

As far as Black Lagoon goes, there is nothing that can live up to meet this show. Canaan, Jormungand and Baccano (can't believe Knobby forgot to fawn over it) are the only ones to scratch the same kind of itch.

http://myanimelist.net/anime/5356/Canaan

http://myanimelist.net/anime/2251/Baccano!

For GitS and Ergo Proxy I can recommend Texhnolyze

http://myanimelist.net/anime/26/Texhnolyze kind of different, kind of similar - no Mecha

As far as Black Lagoon goes, there is nothing that can live up to meet this show. Canaan, Jormungand and Baccano (can't believe Knobby forgot to fawn over it)

Because he already watched it.

And it's Baccano!, by the way :P

Thanks, mate. The list has begun. 

Another show you can try that I just picked up is Gankutsuou.  It is not like many other anime, and comes from some pretty good ... source material, so you can expect less of the nonsense common to anime.  I'm not far into it, but I'm enjoying it so far, could be worth a look.

Edited by KnobbyHobbGoblin

gonna add a few more to that list:

Texhnolyze was great. 

I've been meaning to watch Serial Experiments Lain for years but haven't for, no real reason, tbh. I'm prob going to put that at the top of my Shitty Cold Weather Anime to-Watch List. 

I'll also add Canaan and Mononoke, too. 

Another show you can try that I just picked up is Gankutsuou.  It is not like many other anime, and comes from some pretty good ... source material, so you can expect less of the nonsense common to anime.  I'm not far into it, but I'm enjoying it so far, could be worth a look.

Heard other folks talk about this before. Sounded pretty interesting. 

+1 to the list. 

Have you watched Freedom? That's something I'd recommend. And curious, have you also watched Akira? 

So looks like Otomo did the designs for Freedom? I dig it. 

Not sure, the anime got good animation though, and pretty nice comedy. Seeing you like planetes, high chance you'll like it too. 

I kinda disappointed how planetes ended, felt too mellow, but I guess that's unavoidable seeing how the show seems to lean more to the philosophy stuff and ideals.

Also, seems too short, feels like had it have a longer course, it could give more highlight to the other crew of toy box and jupiter mission won't be having such a simple end. 

I'm talking of the manga btw, haven't watched the anime. 

Edited by PumpkinSpiceTitties77

Does anyone here read manga regularly? I find it to be a more rewarding medium than anime because it has a higher ratio of original works and isn't subject to adaptation problems as often. Plus manga is so prolific that you're bound to find something to your taste.

One of my most recent favorite manga is Gakkou Gurashi. I highly suggest reading it, it has a wonderful balance of heartwarming SoL and horror/drama.

You might enjoy this then

I read the manga in anticipation after the anime was announced. When I watched the actual anime, it was actually extremely disappointing. One of the worst series I've watched this year, and that's something because I adored the manga. I'd recommend the manga to anyone especially those who liked the anime.

Comedy like Shin Chan 

I'm generally not a fan of slice of life or teenage romance. I guess Clannad would be an example of a show that was definitely not my cup of tea. 

And now that I wrote that, I realize that I have no idea what it is that I'm looking for. This is where the all-knowing AI would come in handy. 

Psychological stuff can mean either Mystery or Psych-thriller. Blend of the 2 will mean cop/spy dramas - Paranoia Agent, Psycho Pass have been recommended already and nothing else comes to mind beside the usual detective anime (Kindaichi, Detective Conan etc).

If you just want the sense of mystery (of working out what is happening). I can recommend the following:

• Touka Gettan - this anime actually airs in reverse order, so you spend the entire anime working out how the "ending" happened.
  • Shinsekai Yori - atmospheric fantasy mystery

Your action titles each approach action in a very different way, so will have to recommend based on the "style" of action they offer:

• Black Lagoon ("This is a twisted, dark world" action): Gangsta is the closest, Gunslinger Girls is somewhat similar, but action sequences are few and far between. Berserk is a Middle Ages version of this style. Kite (NSFW) is an anime about child assassins, Mezzo Forte (NSFW) is more upbeat but also captures the twisted world feel.
  • Baccano is a genre in itself, the free-for-all dog-eat-dog action is so grand in scale it's hard to find anything close. Read or Die (OVA, ignore the TV anime) follows the same "time period", while Durara iirc is by the same person who did Baccano.
  • Parasyte I've not watched, but if it's about man vs monster there's Full Metal Alchemist, both the 2003 and the later "Brotherhood" series.

Scifi that isn't mecha, pretty hard if you are serious about it being anything without a robot/robot suit.

• Akira (like duh, it's a classic)
  • Freedom iirc is by the same guy who did Akira. But it's a lot more upbeat and forward looking.
  • Summer Wars - near future sci fi involving an internet that I would dearly love to see in my lifetime, this is honestly a movie I will recommend to anyone and everyone.
  • Redline - racing anime movie that's essentially Cannonball Run in the 30th century featuring guns, lazers, missiles, more missiles and hovercars that outrun these. Oh and a guy meets a girl and woos her.
  • Dennou Coil, coming of age story that involves augmented reality.
  • Gantz (contains robot suits) is about humans fighting off aliens in a reality TV style show. Manga is a lot better though.
  • Elfen Lied (esper, pretty gruesome and tragic)

Comedy - not my strongest genre, I'm always serious.

• Doraemon. I'm serious, but it's an old kid's anime, so YMMV.
  • Chi's Sweet Home, not so much comedy as it is an anime about a cat that looks like this.

I read the manga in anticipation after the anime was announced. When I watched the actual anime, it was actually extremely disappointing. One of the worst series I've watched this year, and that's something because I adored the manga. I'd recommend the manga to anyone especially those who liked the anime.

The anime was not bad, but seriously skipped a lot of details that make the manga riveting.

Edited by neokai

Oh boy I'm in love with Onepunch Man

The animation quality, the charm of bland vs serious, they really did an awesome job catching all that was great about the manga

+3D physics to fawn over, ermahgerd soooo gud

Basically how I felt about Gate. Don't have time to start on the manga right now. I'll keep that in mind though.