TheSpaceCommunist

How Do You Carry In Snipers?

Also, yes, I'm by no means a spectacular player. While "play better" is legitimate advice, I'm hoping to get something more specific. So, INB4 L2P.

The Leopards in my opinion are incredibly difficult to truly carry in, if it's really possible at all. I've platooned with people like AntonioHandsome running our Leopard Prototypes and Leopard 1's in public matches.

Generally our best chances were to use the great mobility and view range to get to good long distance sniping positions, and rain down as much damage on crucial targets as possible. Given that it has no armour and no real brawling ability it's potential to truly swing a match is greatly limited in comparison to many other tanks.

You need to learn when sniping isn't an option. Nothing will screw over a team harder than a "sniper tank" that refuses to believe it shouldn't sit in the back of the map as base defense. Learn how far you can push to the front line, and remain unseen. Learn when to break off, and either defend or attack. While they may not be brawlers, a well time flanking can be devestating even for a squishy leopard.

...rain down as much damage on crucial targets as possible.

Could you elaborate on this? How do I distinguish between crucial and noncrucial targets?

Could you elaborate on this? How do I distinguish between crucial and noncrucial targets?

This is generally a skill that can seperate a lot of the better players from those otherwise. Don't just seek to pad your damage, or inflict as much as possible. Always shoot targets that are 1 shot from death when you can, and in public matches prioritize artillery, the highest tier enemy players, or tanks that are holding up an entire flank of your own team.

Damage, damage, and more damage.  Many sniper carries will not even look like carries.  Most snipers are bad at comeback wins, so it is your duty to ensure that the team does not fall behind.  Do damage early.  Do damage midgame.  Do damage late.  Make sure everyone who pokes gets a nice new hole in their tank.  Establish positions that let you cover multiple approaches.  Know when it is time to go active, and start risking your HP.  There is a general rule that says you should always be either firing, or moving to a spot where you can fire from.  This is especially true for snipers.

That being said, sniping is possibly the worst carry method out there. 

Might be more accurate to re-title "Snipers" as "Support" tanks, since the role of a sniper can be undertaken by almost any tank once you get to a certain tier bracket (tier 9-10 tanks are usually all very accurate). 

Damage, damage, and more damage.  Many sniper carries will not even look like carries.  Most snipers are bad at comeback wins, so it is your duty to ensure that the team does not fall behind.  Do damage early.  Do damage midgame.  Do damage late.  Make sure everyone who pokes gets a nice new hole in their tank.  Establish positions that let you cover multiple approaches.  Know when it is time to go active, and start risking your HP.  There is a general rule that says you should always be either firing, or moving to a spot where you can fire from.  This is especially true for snipers.

Yeah, what Deus said, just deal massive amounts of damage, and be aware that it's a thankless role since no one will notice your contributions, the glory typically always goes to the heavy that takes all the hits or the spotter that lights everything up. 

Also, I wouldn't say sniping is the worst carry method out there, I'd say it's the toughest. Being able to do huge amounts of damage just isn't that easy, and I'm not talking about 1.25x or 1.5x your HP on a consistent basis, I'm talking 2x your HP or 2x the average HP of tanks in your tier in case of tank destroyers, once you start dealing that sort of damage on average every game, tactics be damned, you're just going to win by brute force (case in point, my T62A, Object 268, and T57 Heavy). 

Edited by Kewei

Damage, shear damage.  You need to find ways to keep rounds going down range and kill the bold ones off before your team gets swarmed.  In the event they do get swarmed and killed, have a way out, hopefully you'll have whittled them down enough to pick them off latter.  If you are having trouble with winning, grab a few competent toon mates in some brawlers to give you that little bit of edge up close you need.

This is generally a skill that can seperate a lot of the better players from those otherwise. Don't just seek to pad your damage, or inflict as much as possible. Always shoot targets that are 1 shot from death when you can, and in public matches prioritize artillery, the highest tier enemy players, or tanks that are holding up an entire flank of your own team.

I tend to rank high alpha and high armour tanks higher than evenly tiered peers too. Those are where pubbies become unstuck.

I have had games in my E50M that would make you cry. 8K damage on Karelia for a loss!  Yup sniping carries are a pain in the backside. Shed loads of damage done few kills then people like Xpedience trying to troll your lack of kills. Yet confederate is the way to go for sniper carries!

Confederate + sniper = You done good brah.

Smile and be happy!

In this noobs opinion I'd say flex, flex, and more flex. Assume every firing position is stale after the shot. Leverage the speed of the tank to hold multiple lines. Go for the wide flank if at all possible.

In this noobs opinion anyway.

as playing some snipers ive found if you keep pumping out damage and keeping a flank "underfire" might ensure the other to move up or eliminate their current targets.

basically support.

Damage, damage, and more damage. Many sniper carries will not even look like carries. Most snipers are bad at comeback wins, so it is your duty to ensure that the team does not fall behind. Do damage early. Do damage midgame. Do damage late. Make sure everyone who pokes gets a nice new hole in their tank. Establish positions that let you cover multiple approaches. Know when it is time to go active, and start risking your HP. There is a general rule that says you should always be either firing, or moving to a spot where you can fire from. This is especially true for snipers.

I'll agree with that. I actually enjoyed the T-28, but sold it as soon as I had the KV-1 researched simply because I didn't feel like the thing was capable of carrying a team.

This is off-topic but I want to point out that because this thread is great with lots of information with regards to the support-sniper role, I request a mod, if possible, to move this to the game play discussion for better thread allocation.