Mimicking Ideal Armor Angles

Not sure how many people do this or have thought of it since it doesn't get talked about, but I've had this in mind for a few years now and never got around to actually doing it b/c of laziness. 

note: started an hour ago on a sockpuppet and it's been working nicely. 

The Method

Real-time protractor mods don't exist that take reference from the tank's front so far as I know, so a great deal of angling is left to guesstimates. Which was what I did for a while cause I couldn't be bothered to min-max.

Doesn't have to be that way though, IS-4 and E100s as cases in point: 

Px0LUyh.jpg

It's common knowledge IS-4's frontal armor isn't strong in-game, and that people tend to fuck up the angling trying to raise its effective armor. 

Here's my proposed way of approaching it. 

On the left-hand side, the IS-4 represents a minimum of 260-265mm of armor at its weakest points (the strip on the turret being too hard to hit if continually moving, and likewise for the greener parts of the lower plate. This is the ideal for an IS-4 in the open against heavy/med T10s and T9s with the typical 260mm~ of APCR penetration. 

In the middle, the IS-4 is side-scraping with the front is hidden, enough so that the weakest part of its armor is at 300mm - but not so much that it's hard to hit back. This is the ideal for an IS-4 in an offensive side-scrape against any T10s and T9s firing any standard round, and lower tiers firing APCR/HEAT. Anymore and a sliver of the lower or upper plates (comparatively weaker) might be revealed. 

On the right-hand side, the IS-4 is in an unorthodox side-scrape position with the rear hidden representing 330mm of armor at its weakest point on the left-most visible part of its side armor, and 340-350mm along the middle of the side. This is ideal for an advancing IS-4 caught by a rear attack while being near a wall or house, or just plain weird situations against the standard 330mm of APCR/HEAT in T10. 

It's well and all to play with these angles in tanks.gg or some inspector app, but how do you make use of them exactly as they are - in-game? 

Simple, look at the where the gun aligns

On the left-hand side, the gun aligns along the edge where the frontal hull and shoulder plates meet, protruding from the origin of that edge (nearest to the turret). 

In the middle, the gun aligns at the edges of the seam where the upper frontal and lower frontal plates meet. 

On the right-hand side, the gun aligns along the vertices where the three lines of armor meet, and then slightly away. 

So by auto-aiming an enemy tank, and then traversing your tank until the gun aligns with specific edges/vertices of the armor, you can come to memorized positions of armor strength - and by leaving auto-aim on, you can keep these angles in real-time. 

As an extension, it's advised to toy around with distances, seeing how angle elevations and declinations and shot distances affect the armor.

-

Not hard to see how this follows with the E100: 

OpWtAHK.jpg

Unlike the IS-4 however - in a sidescrape (not shown here), the E100 has to turn away its turret to maintain high all-round armor. So you have to align the gun AND reticule along appropriate lines - which doesn't need explanation, I hope. Just two alignments instead of one. 

-

Carrying on, you can do this with just about any tank (armored mediums being very well suited for this), turning the turret and hull to discover an ideal angle to maximize thickness or make the tank immune, then use a combination of gun-alignment and reticule-alignment memorization to make use of it. 

Closing Words

There's alot of nuances and non-specifics in being good at the game, but memorizing angles and how to apply them in-game is good shortcut to start off with, so whatever tank you feel like playing, it pays to take 5 minutes to do what I outlined. It might not help against super-HEAT rounds like JPE100's, but you will inevitably find a situation where some angle will come in handy. 

An important thing to take note of though, is to not get too caught up with mimicking the angles perfectly - you don't want to devote too much attention to the angle. The main focus of the battle is, well, battling, and armor is just one part of it. It's the same idea as caring too much about artillery - the more you get bogged down by fear of taking damage, the less you do. 

Doing this casually over time though, your muscle/visual memory will pick it up and you'll be able to pull it off effortlessly. 

So many upvotes but no one else commented?  I have an is-4 laying around, might as well see if this will stop me from getting penned by t8s.

I doubt it works so well, atleast, i once did a 1 vs 1 IS4 vs Maus on himmelsdorf, to see some stuff, including reverse side scrapping.

And it didnt work, you almost always show some of the rear, and its a 100% pen, another problem is that the hull roof and turret roof can be overmatched, a tall tanks like E100 or Maus will just pen you every. single. time. and while the target is fairly small, its not that small (or hard to hit) especially when the other guy is a bit close and you are reverse sidescraping :P

In the 1 vs 1 i just wrecked him twice, while maus dpm is worthless, it is much thougher to penetrate and while i didnt bouce once :P

ps: but it wasnt entirely fair, since i didnt tell him beforehand i could overmatch hes hull roof, gotta know dem weakspots, including the rare ones ^^

I doubt it works so well, atleast, i once did a 1 vs 1 IS4 vs Maus on himmelsdorf, to see some stuff, including reverse side scrapping.

And it didnt work, you almost always show some of the rear, and its a 100% pen, another problem is that the hull roof and turret roof can be overmatched, a tall tanks like E100 or Maus will just pen you every. single. time. and while the target is fairly small, its not that small (or hard to hit) especially when the other guy is a bit close and you are reverse sidescraping :P

In the 1 vs 1 i just wrecked him twice, while maus dpm is worthless, it is much thougher to penetrate and while i didnt bouce once :P

ps: but it wasnt entirely fair, since i didnt tell him beforehand i could overmatch hes hull roof, gotta know dem weakspots, including the rare ones ^^

At a distance it becomes much more difficult to pull that off - and if you can auto-aim and position yourself such that the gun is aligning with mentioned vertices with the reticule barely past the wall, your rear should be hidden. Not to mention there's plenty of corners with rubble at the edges that the IS-4 can reverse up along, hiding the engine deck. 

Real-time protractor mods don't exist that take reference from the tank's front so far as I know, so a great deal of angling is left to guesstimates.

You vanilla WoT players amaze me with your memory skills.  For the mod addicted, there are at least  two mods that will give the exact angle between your hull and turret.  

The first is in Meltymap's protractor mod.  You just have to edit protractor.swf to change the tank type to "TD" like this:

<vehicle name="germany_E_100" type="TD" rightArc="20" leftArc="20" front="150" arc="50" side="190"/>

Then it will display a blue traverse bar (typically used by TDs and SPGs) with the exact angle between your turret and hull as seen in the bottom center of the image below.

wC7FcPA.jpg

The yellow 7 in the image above is the exact angle between your gun and hull.  As you suggested, just auto-aim the enemy and adjust your hull angle until the yellow number changes to whatever you want.

The second was in Aslain's 9.8 modpack and had a name like "Locastan's angle viewer".  It used the battletimer.swf file to display a compass near the bottom of your screen with the hull angle (0 to 180) on the bottom and the turret angle relative to the hull on top.  It is much easier on the eyes than Melty's protractor mod but it doesn't always get updated every patch.

I use the Armor Inspector for Android app to figure out the exact angle needed to bounce since it will tell you the angle between the turret and hull as you move them.

It would be useful to have library of such angles for more tanks (at least HT and MT) ideally with list of tanks  you'll be safe from and list of "don't bother" tanks :)