JenkaTamar

The Joy of Mice or why you need to pay attention to peripherals.

Bit of a weird situation.   I had been improving slowly over the last year or so. Was creeping up on being blue overall and pretty happy with my performance.  Took a couple months off and then came back to the game and I was horrible. Play session after play session with sub 30% win rates and sub 1000 WN 8.  Bots would be wining more,   I would still have the occasional good game but I was just stinking on ice for hundreds of games.  

I finally discovered the root of the problem.  Somehow my Gaming Mouse got reset to 6000 DPI from the 600 DPI that I used to play at,  After switching to the "Correct" DPI, boom I'm back to good games and wining play sessions again  since making that change I've averaged 2200 WN8 for the last 4 play sessions.   Keep a eye on the non game settings as well as the in game settings they can make quite a difference in your ability to play.

Anybody else have something subtle like a miss configured mouse make a huge difference in their play and play style?

Jenka "The unobservant" Tamar

I don't know how you don't just notice something like mouse sensitivity right off the bat and realize something has gone wrong that needs to be fixed after the first match.  It's not even like a small difference, 600 vs. 6k DPI is huge.

My G500S mouse is incredible for a game like this, giving me the freedom to switch DPI on the fly.  I usually play at 400 DPM most of the time and switch to 2k DPM to look around fast or use the interface, and use my computer typically at 2k DPM.  Not sure how anyone would handle 6k DPM on a regular basis.

You'd be surprised.  I'd programmed the mouse originally to be 600 DPI on all settings.  So the fact that it was not on the "Lowest" setting didn't clue me in. I was more willing to blame myself than look for a outside reason for the issue.

I've always gamed on cheap 20 dollar HP mice from Wal-Mart. Besides an extra button which I would reserve for push to talk, I can't imagine gaming mice are actually worth it myself.

My G9x died after six years of active service. There will be a tasteful remembrance ceremony held tonight on stream.

I bought my first wireless mouse as a replacement, G700s. Other than the sandpaper like texturing on the thump space it is damn awesome. Finally nailed my DPI settings again (400 lowest typical tank usage, 4k highest for strategy games) and it's a dream. No issues with latency I've seen thus far.

I've always gamed on cheap 20 dollar HP mice from Wal-Mart. Besides an extra button which I would reserve for push to talk, I can't imagine gaming mice are actually worth it myself.

I mostly enjoy the ergonomics. I use the same mouse for work and tanks so I feel like I use it enough to justify splurging on an expensive mouse. 

I have really really small hands. Back when I still tryharded CS the polish player NEO once said that he had really smart hands in an interview that's why he's using this and that mouse. Since then I'm just buying whatever mouse that guy uses and it's always perfect (currently Zowie FK1 lol).

I've run through several different mice, like a R.A.T. 7 (Batmobile mouse), several Razer mice, and now a SteelSeries Rival. I love this thing, Period. On top of that, I also have a gaming mousepad if that's weird.
I like to think that comfort along with a driver that allows you to fine tune settings is ideal for gaming. There's been plenty of times where I was gaming with a $20 MMO mouse, and I couldn't finish a raid because my hand hurt from the mouse and the period of time that it took to complete the raid.

Basically comfort and customizability.

It's worth being able to switch ammo types or use consumables with your thumb(I have Naga Hex)

that is a crazy increase, I spent about a month with my mouse seeing if I could get used to the maximum setting, just because I wanted to try and  get my hand to be more steady while I play, but I think my mouse goes to 8200 or something stupid, basically if a hair fell off my head and hit my hand I would have to look 3 screens over to find my mouse.

At core, I have a eye/hand coordination issue that keeps me from judging accurately. I had thought that suddenly my condition had become worse after several years of improvement.    So I blamed myself, instead of checking my equipment, and tried to muddle through. 

I had also previously programed all three presets on the mouse to be the same at 600 CPI so I couldn't change it by accident,  at some point those presets got reset to factory default.  It wasn't until there was a different issue that I was troubleshooting that I discovered the mouse had been reset to factory defaults.  

I use a VERY nice Corsair M65 mouse which I love but, I need to keep a eye on.

Why you'd buy "good" mice:

• Ergonomics
  • Build quality
  • Eyecandy
  • Adjustable DPI
  • Extra buttons

Why you wouldn't buy "good" mice:

• "Performance"/"Response Time"/any of that baloney.

Anyway, story time - for the past 6 months to a year, I accidentally have been using my mouse with the windows mouse speed setting cranked up. For anyone who doesn't know, this is probably the worst setting you can change - not only does it make your sensitivity different than what you're used to, but it makes your mouse "skip" pixels. It's basically like having your mouse move around as if it was on a smaller monitor. I only noticed because I was swinging my mouse around in the garage and noticed that moving it on diagonals made the mouse act really funny. RIP

Why you'd buy "good" mice:

• Ergonomics
  • Build quality
  • Eyecandy
  • Adjustable DPI
  • Extra buttons

Why you wouldn't buy "good" mice:

• "Performance"/"Response Time"/any of that baloney.

Anyway, story time - for the past 6 months to a year, I accidentally have been using my mouse with the windows mouse speed setting cranked up. For anyone who doesn't know, this is probably the worst setting you can change - not only does it make your sensitivity different than what you're used to, but it makes your mouse "skip" pixels. It's basically like having your mouse move around as if it was on a smaller monitor. I only noticed because I was swinging my mouse around in the garage and noticed that moving it on diagonals made the mouse act really funny. RIP

Reminds me of this:

I always follow this tutorial to remove all the mouse acceleration crap that comes with windows/mouse software, and also the correct windows setting for the dpi slide:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blw3DwzIQIk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YjCChK5-e8U

I simply can't use my mice without doing these steps.

so this discussion begs the question  what are "good settings"  for those of us still using default mice because we are broke or is this more of a personal preference type settings?   I have not messed with settings on either the computer or the game itself.  Kinda curious if it matters.

For any player with any mouse, I'd usually suggest making sure your windows mouse setting is at the default value (the middle notch) and to lower your World of Tanks sensitivity settings for Arcade and Sniper modes by at least 30%. It'll take a couple games to get used to it, but lower sensitivity is better. Say you're aiming at a hatch on a tank - at the default settings, you might need to get your mouse within half of an inch of the correct spot. If your sensitivity is only half of the default, you only have to get it within an entire inch of the correct spot.

At core, I have a eye/hand coordination issue that keeps me from judging accurately. I had thought that suddenly my condition had become worse after several years of improvement.    So I blamed myself, instead of checking my equipment, and tried to muddle through.

Dyspraxia?

Don't know what the name of it is.  I went through years of testing as a child in the early 70's but if they had a name for it I don't remember.  My hands do not do precisely what my brain tells them to.  My handwriting is mostly illegible and I can type accurately at 12 WPM.   That's with 30 years of practice, it was as low as 4. In Game chat or Instant messaging I don't even try to edit.   My friends call it "Jenkaease".  

They had me in Honors English and History in High school and in special education as well because I couldn't write.  The school admin wouldn't let me turn in documents generated on a computer (Spell check is a godsend) "because your mother would just do the work".  Even in the mid 80's High schools still required hand written documents from students.   The eventual solution was that I could dictate my reports and documents to the school secretary who would type them for submission.  Or I could give a 10-20 min presentation (with visual aids and props) before the whole class on the subject at hand, depending on the teacher.

Just typing this short document I had 70+ errors that needed to be corrected. Again that is after 30ish years of practice. If I type in haste it gets MUCH MUCH worse.