CarryMode

Modem restarting by itself

Hey guys, a month or so ago my modem would out of nowhere restart by itself.. Used to happen around once a day and I didn't care that much to find the problem and fix it. Past few days it's been restarting every 5 minutes or so, I have tried everything from resetting it myself, to changing the cables, to talking to Comcast themselves to see if there was a problem with the account but I still can't find the problem.

It's a "Vbee D3.0" and I've had it for two years or so, pls help

Thanks!

I'd recomment to call the technical support since they can probably do remote maintanance to see what's wrong with the router.

Alternatively unplug it for five minutes, if this isn't enough, do a reset to delievery status, this should do the job.

Consumer-grade modems (and routers) generally aren't built to last for years and years of constantly-on operation. Components overheat (doesn't help they're usually passively cooled), micro fissures appear in the solder, and so on. Or the power supply fails (usually blows a cheap-ass capacitor). End result is that it stops working in some fashion. I go through a modem/router every couple of years. Failure examples include; switch functionality freezing up a couple of minutes after power-on, and rebooting and losing config every 5 minutes.

When a decent enough router/modem only costs ~$50 AUD (or less), it's a small cost over a couple of years to just keep buying a new one whenever the old one fails. (Disclaimer: I have ADSL, so I'm not entirely sure of the cost differences relative to cable modems, but they won't be that much.)

TL;DR: Consumer-grade modems don't last for years and years. Things break. Get your ISP to provide a new modem, or just buy one yourself.

Ask for an onsite technician to fix it, keep telling the guy on the phone it's a hardware problem and press on until he schedules someone down to you.

Top 3 reasons for constant reset behaviour (from someone who designs digital equipment):

1. Thermal problem 

2. Power supply issue (usually tied to 1)

3. Bad firmware update

None of those are user repairable in an embedded device unless it's an external environment issue (router next to radiator). Get the tech support out.

Consumer-grade modems (and routers) generally aren't built to last for years and years of constantly-on operation. Components overheat (doesn't help they're usually passively cooled), micro fissures appear in the solder, and so on. Or the power supply fails (usually blows a cheap-ass capacitor). End result is that it stops working in some fashion. I go through a modem/router every couple of years. Failure examples include; switch functionality freezing up a couple of minutes after power-on, and rebooting and losing config every 5 minutes.

When a decent enough router/modem only costs ~$50 AUD (or less), it's a small cost over a couple of years to just keep buying a new one whenever the old one fails. (Disclaimer: I have ADSL, so I'm not entirely sure of the cost differences relative to cable modems, but they won't be that much.)

TL;DR: Consumer-grade modems don't last for years and years. Things break. Get your ISP to provide a new modem, or just buy one yourself.

+1.  This.  For something as simple as a cable modem, Comcast should be able to send you a new one, and you can swap it out yourself.  

Call tech support and ask for this.  If they don't do it on the first call, call them once a day or so to tell them that it still isn't working.  After a few calls, it will be cheaper for them to send you a modem then to keep responding to your calls.

3. Bad firmware update

None of those are user repairable in an embedded device unless it's an external environment issue (router next to radiator). Get the tech support out.

:O

Up until now I havnt seen a router/modem where firmware updates couldnt be done by the user. You can usually reset them to factory default firmware. Though maybe in Germany its a different story than in the US.

:O

Up until now I havnt seen a router/modem where firmware updates couldnt be done by the user. You can usually reset them to factory default firmware. Though maybe in Germany its a different story than in the US.

I'm used to routers that are supplied by the ISP and updated automatically. There's a factory reset but I've had the update reapplied as soon as it booted. Either way you're totally right, most routers can be reset to factory and updated if you know what you're doing, although I tend to subscribe to the "Never assume that person on the internet knows what they're doing without prior evidence".