no_name_cro

Quick questions & quick answers. [WoWS]

45 minutes ago, Jarkorsis said:

Torp acceleration works well T8 plus for IJN. IMO going from 10 to 8 km makes you a Soviet DD with bad guns. But that is me. Works well on Fubuki and Kagero. Don't have Shima yet but, should work well there.

thats kind of what i was thinking. 20% off of 20km torpedoes isnt that big of a problem since you're still way outside of detection range. however with 10km, torpedo acceleration seems like kind of a risky move since you only have 1-2km of stealth to play with.

yeah, I plan on only getting tor acceleration once I get to fubuki and its upgraded torps.  as for the torp detection ranges, they vary by torp.  there's a table somewhere for them, think it's linked in onboard's useful ship resources thread.

I've got torp accel on my Shim.  20k torps, down to ~15.7  Lol, ok.  Really don't notice the difference much, especially with 5.9k spotting.  But it is nice to get a few extra hits when you miss because something slow and stupid behind the one you missed misjudges how fast they're going

I like playing both the Tachibana and the Kamikaze - so until I develop the Fubuki commander past his 5th level skill, I am not going to use the torp acceleration feature.  It seemed to me that the best use of the skill was for CV commanders to pep up their torp drops.  Maybe when I have the tier 10, I will use the 6 point Tachibana commander sitting in reserve to run both it and the Kamikaze.

PS - I hate losing, had a frustrating night with all sorts of team mate tomfoolery - tier 4 Wyoming and a tier 6 New Mexico divisioned together and ended up in my tier 8 Fubuki match on OCEAN.  Pretty sure the Wyoming guy was drunk, he bitched about how messed up MM was - the New Mexico capt said he was hoping for tier 5, since that was their average tier.  Aaaaaargh!

My Shima still goes without Torp Accel, I love my 20km torps. It is amazing how often you score a bunch of hits just by firing a nice spread to a location where you know that the enemy will camp with all their ships. We all know those spots...especially when there are only 2 cap circles.

19 hours ago, xWulffx said:

What is the detection range for incoming torps unmodified without Capt. skills ect?

Is it the same for all or does it vary from ship to ship?

They vary ~1-2km roughly based on speed; faster the torp, the easier it is to spot. 

WoWS wiki has an incomplete table, and I believe this was last updated prior to 5.3. Last I checked the torp acceleration skill does not alter the detection range of torps. 

3 minutes ago, ncc81701 said:

They vary ~1-2km roughly based on speed; faster the torp, the easier it is to spot. 

WoWS wiki has an incomplete table, and I believe this was last updated prior to 5.3. Last I checked the torp acceleration skill does not alter the detection range of torps. 

Yeah, I think Tedster59 said the same thing.

Should I bother with AFT/BFT on my Ibuki/Zao?  I used them up to the pre-nerf 155 Mogami, then rebuilt that commander after the patch mostly off of reflex.  Secondaries aren't really a concern, so the question comes down to whether I want to turn "mediocre" AA into "complete garbage" AA in favor of Demolition Expert.

From being on the receiving end of a Zao with Demolition expert, it really messes up BB's. Almost every broadside set a fire.

4 hours ago, Mesrith said:

Should I bother with AFT/BFT on my Ibuki/Zao?  I used them up to the pre-nerf 155 Mogami, then rebuilt that commander after the patch mostly off of reflex.  Secondaries aren't really a concern, so the question comes down to whether I want to turn "mediocre" AA into "complete garbage" AA in favor of Demolition Expert.

Demo and Concealment are your bread and butter or so my zao loving friends tell me. I think Flamu even ditches AA entirely in favour of hydro. 

Dogfighting skill or torpedo speed buff for carriers?

Dogfighting seems like it will give  10% buff per level of difference between fighters, which means sometimes you get a bonus, sometimes not. Not sure if it is worth it and I can just play defensively with my fighters against higher tiers, so leaning towards torpedo speed upgrade.

38 minutes ago, Expendable_Lad said:

Dogfighting seems like it will give  10% buff per level of difference between fighters, which means sometimes you get a bonus, sometimes not. Not sure if it is worth it and I can just play defensively with my fighters against higher tiers, so leaning towards torpedo speed upgrade.

Definitely torp speed buff, I find it very effective.  You're still gonna lose a dogfight against a higher tier carrier.

20 hours ago, Expendable_Lad said:

Torp Speed buff, you can drop further away in USN TB increasing their survivability, or you can make your drop pattern more convergent with IJN TB for increased lethality. 

Which is better in terms of effectiveness per tier group: Tier 7 AA specs or Tier 9 AA specs?

So is anyone still playing WoWS? Just downloaded the patch and getting back into it. Haven't played since ~November.

Have access to first tier 4 skill on US BB.  Currently have secondary armament, survivability and 6th sense at tier one. Would need to scrap two of these to get a tier 4 skill.  Should I scrap two of them to get AFT or should I just grind two more skill points and keep those? (If scrap, then which ones should I drop at tier one?)

39 minutes ago, Expendable_Lad said:

Have access to first tier 4 skill on US BB.  Currently have secondary armament, survivability and 6th sense at tier one. Would need to scrap two of these to get a tier 4 skill.  Should I scrap two of them to get AFT or should I just grind two more skill points and keep those? (If scrap, then which ones should I drop at tier one?)

You'll probably end up with at least BFT and BoS anyway, so it's probably not worth it to re-spec right now.  I don't personally use "sixth sense" on my battleships, but if you're going to eventually use Concealment Expert then you'll want to keep it.

so who's the best streamer/youtuber to watch to get better? i fell in love with pre-douchebag garbad and his play by play picture guides but i dont think theres as much stuff happening in wows as wot so maybe its harder to make guides like those.

There is a group of streamers. Like Ichase, and jingles has some stuff. Klaus Kellerman has some decent DD guides. (See Ships media section)  

2 hours ago, Aquavolt said:

so who's the best streamer/youtuber to watch to get better? i fell in love with pre-douchebag garbad and his play by play picture guides but i dont think theres as much stuff happening in wows as wot so maybe its harder to make guides like those.

Flamu, strangers123, Aeroon, iChase. I want to make some play-by-plays but my time is a little short right now.

2 hours ago, OnboardG1 said:

Flamu, strangers123, Aeroon, iChase. I want to make some play-by-plays but my time is a little short right now.

i could really go for some play by plays. right now my general cruiser/battleship play style is "go where the action is". as an IJN destroyer its usually cap uncontested points and harass battleships. 

iChase usually has good info and streams a lot, not sure how often the others stream, though they are EU and the meta is definitely different there (and even more so on RU).

I wouldn't take it.  I only just trained it on Fubuki with the 15km torps, and I'll probably be dropping it with the new torp options coming next patch.