no_name_cro

Quick questions & quick answers. [WoWS]

The shorter main battery range is a non-issue. Japanese Battleships firing from >17km aren't going to hit you easily. You need to be mixing it up in the fight and clubbing out cruisers (hunting clevelands is my favourite sport). 

The speed is an issue that you need to mitigate through good positioning. US standard BBs work best either defensively or on a no-stops offence. 

This is true. My usual game plan for the New Mexico is to just keep driving forward why clubbing the shit out of everything I see. The only time I am inclined to retreat is if I run into a horde of DD's, and usually by the time I realize that is happening it is usually to late to save myself anyways. I also have to agree that trashing Cleveland's never ever gets old. The Cleveland makes people stupid. It is very durable verses other cruisers, and that causes at lot of people to throw caution to the wind, and to become hyper aggressive when playing that ship. American BB's feed on the over confidence of Cleveland drivers.

3 absolutely simple questions from a lazy newbie:

-Are low tiers as cancerous as they are in WoT?

-Do DDs give a similar experience to lights/meds in WoT?(Asking as a kinda dedicated batchat/LT player.)

-Are BBs or more importantly CVs actually fun to play? (From a BC player point of view again)

- low tiers are even more cancerous. The game is all about weapon range. A t4 commander skill increases all lowtier gun ranges by 20%. Anybody with that skill (advanced fireing training) basically has the means of clubbing seals without even the danger of getting shot back.

- yes and no. They play the vision game nicely but have a really hard time acting as an assassin like med/bat would. It's cammo snipe( == torp) all the way since they are basically one shots at any tier to anybody but other DDs.

So ammunition choice is still confusing me, particularly AP. In the Murmansk for instance, when should I be using AP? 

DDs:

Always shoot HE, AP damage is the same for small caliber guns so the off chance of actually hitting a  citadel does not warrant giving up on crits + fire. Ever.

CAs:

HE vs. DDs, BBs and CVs

for other CAs:

If you are confident you can pull off a clean citadel hit go AP. All other cases go HE. Usually your AP pen will be sufficient to pen other CAs at a range below 10 kms broadside. Since the AP damage usually is ~50% higher than HE not scoring the citadel will not be too bad as long as damage is dealt. Still if you have no clean shots rather gamble on HE and fires.

BBs:

Always go AP unless fighting other BBs at weird angles/distances or DDs.

Avoid switching to HE and/or targeting DDs unless absolutely neccesary . Let your secondaries take care of DDs while focusing on dodging torps/other targets. Your main guns should always run AP and go for BBs/CAs if possible.

This is all very general and has been written several times now but as a father of 3 teenage boys I know the trick is constant repetition...

EDIT: As
ncc81701 pointed out sometimes BBs have to fight DDs. In those cases make sure to switch to HE since AP overpenetration WILL ruin your day fighting DDs.

- low tiers are even more cancerous. The game is all about weapon range. A t4 commander skill increases all lowtier gun ranges by 20%. Anybody with that skill (advanced fireing training) basically has the means of clubbing seals without even the danger of getting shot back.

Wut? No. The game is not "all about range" even at low tier. The game is about positioning, full stop. Range will get you more places to work from but it can also sucker you into stupid plays. My favourite BBs are the short-ranged Warspite and Wyoming because they suit aggressive play well being tough and handy to take advantage of cover. Besides, at low tiers the maps are small and well designed, giving good lanes of fire while having enough cover to work with. Range doesn't matter when you contrive to appear 7km off a target's broadside.

Wut? No. The game is not "all about range" even at low tier. The game is about positioning, full stop. Range will get you more places to work from but it can also sucker you into stupid plays. My favourite BBs are the short-ranged Warspite and Wyoming because they suit aggressive play well being tough and handy to take advantage of cover. Besides, at low tiers the maps are small and well designed, giving good lanes of fire while having enough cover to work with. Range doesn't matter when you contrive to appear 7km off a target's broadside.

Wut? Yes.

Lowtiers have a weapon range of ~ 10 Kms while being spotted at ~12-15 kms. Now everyone involved being a newb how can you not see the vast advantage of me being able to shoot and start turning 2-3 kms ahead of my enemy? And the maps might be small but not THAT small.

I do understand that WoWS is not ALL about weapon range. I should have been more precisely and said "low tier seal clubbing" instead of "the game".

Anyways I feel like St Louis HE spam at 13 km range is cancer, same as Cleveland/Phoenix HE spam at 17 km distance. Due to <155 guns not being present much in high tiers I feel this is a low tier issue.

Anyways I feel like St Louis HE spam at 13 km range is cancer, same as Cleveland/Phoenix HE spam at 17 km distance. Due to <155 guns not being present much in high tiers I feel this is a low tier issue.

If you think that is cancer wait till WG sticks in this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Worcester-class_cruiser

Basically, a Cleveland on crack.

Info from here: http://forum.worldofwarships.com/index.php?/topic/1697-what-we-know-about-ships-updated-25062015/

Wut? Yes.

Lowtiers have a weapon range of ~ 10 Kms while being spotted at ~12-15 kms. Now everyone involved being a newb how can you not see the vast advantage of me being able to shoot and start turning 2-3 kms ahead of my enemy? And the maps might be small but not THAT small.

Because at that range, and with derpy 155 muzzle velocity, it isn't the hardest thing in the world to turn slightly or slow down and evade the salvo. By the time their shots are effective (sub 13km) they're going to be matchwood. Plus there are islands and shit to sail behind if you're feeling the heat. Honestly though, it really isn't hard to counter a 155 armed cruiser trying to kite you. In a U.S. BB you wiggle dat butt and sucker him into you. In a JP BB you decline the engagement or just smack him with your equal range.

Cleveland/Phoenix HE spam at 17 km distance.

At that range I don't think they're going to be hitting very much outside of blind potatoes with that shell travel time.

Honestly though, it really isn't hard to counter a 155 armed cruiser trying to kite you. In a U.S. BB you wiggle dat butt and sucker him into you. In a JP BB you decline the engagement or just smack him with your equal range.

I guess we have to agree on us disagreeing here. To stick to the example I do not have the impression that either of the T3 BBs has an easy time handling St. Louis HE spam starting at 13 km range.

As far as dodging avoiding shots goes the whole point is based on the assumption that most involved players are total newbs and might not be that skilled at escape techniques yet.

Based on that  my argument is that experienced players with trained crews are easily able to shoot those poor fellows to pieces unexpectedly at ranges they can not even return the fire.

The Cleveland is another subject and maybe I should not have mentioned her in this context at all. One could argue T6 being rather mid tier than low tier. Your argument for BBs being able to handle them more easily is certainly valid. On the other hand it's not like those BBs did not have twice the dispersion and troubles hitting anything at those ranges either.

BBs:

Always go AP unless fighting other BBs at weird angles/distances.

Avoid switching to HE and/or targeting DDs at all. Let your secondaries take care of DDs while focusing on dodging those torps. Your main guns should always run AP and go for BBs/CAs.

Going to have to disagree with you on that. I wouldn't trust my team nor my secondaries to take care of the DD(s). You really have to look out for yourself and be smart about how you approach DD when driving a BB. The key to it is to stay at least 5km+ away from ambush spots (behind islands/shores) preferably 8km+. Try to maintain that 5-8km distance from the DD and lob HEs at them, 1-2 good HE salvo should take care of them, at least enough for them to think twice about closing into your secondary range for a torp drop.  A loose DD can wreck your team/game, and if you let him loose he'll be harassing you all game with torps at best and nuking you with a good torp salvo at worst; thus a DD <10km from your BB is definitely a priority target.. 

Going to have to disagree with you on that. I wouldn't trust my team nor my secondaries to take care of the DD(s). You really have to look out for yourself and be smart about how you approach DD when driving a BB. The key to it is to stay at least 5km+ away from ambush spots (behind islands/shores) preferably 8km+. Try to maintain that 5-8km distance from the DD and lob HEs at them, 1-2 good HE salvo should take care of them, at least enough for them to think twice about closing into your secondary range for a torp drop.  A loose DD can wreck your team/game, and if you let him loose he'll be harassing you all game with torps at best and nuking you with a good torp salvo at worst; thus a DD <10km from your BB is definitely a priority target.. 

Not to mention that nuking a DD with a BB HE salvo is just satisfying as fucking hell. There are times when I almost feel bad for all hapless retards in mid tier American DD's that try to sneak up on me only to have me execute a snap turn to present an entire HE broadside to them at less then 6 km. 

Even easier is to not go alone and try to keep 1-2 friendly cruisers between you and him. And of course if you are all alone and face nothing but a DD you should shoot it. With HE.

On the other hand if there's a DD, a BB and a CA you should not go for the DD first. Switch the reload to HE when the time comes but use your already loaded AP to wreck some face on the hard targets and try to sink that CA first.

Even easier is to not go alone and try to keep 1-2 friendly cruisers between you and him. And of course if you are all alone and face nothing but a DD you should shoot it. With HE.

On the other hand if there's a DD, a BB and a CA you should not go for the DD first. Switch the reload to HE when the time comes but use your already loaded AP to wreck some face on the hard targets and try to sink that CA first.

Even if you don't go alone I find the skill level of the general WoWS population to be too poor to rely on. Those same friendly CA and DD are more likely to eat a salvo of torps than deliver one. But I can see where you are going. If I have AP loaded and there's a good broadside of a CA, yeah I'll probably unload a salvo at the CA but I would still reload on HE to take care of the DD if it looks like the DD is going for a torp run. At this point though we've segway pretty far from the original question of ammo type selection. 

Even if you don't go alone I find the skill level of the general WoWS population to be too poor to rely on. Those same friendly CA and DD are more likely to eat a salvo of torps than deliver one. But I can see where you are going. If I have AP loaded and there's a good broadside of a CA, yeah I'll probably unload a salvo at the CA but I would still reload on HE to take care of the DD if it looks like the DD is going for a torp run. At this point though we've segway pretty far from the original question of ammo type selection. 

Agreed, I'll edit the post to add something like "unless absolutely neccesary" since of course IF you are shooting DDs you should use HE.

If you think that is cancer wait till WG sticks in this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Worcester-class_cruiser

Basically, a Cleveland on crack.

Info from here: http://forum.worldofwarships.com/index.php?/topic/1697-what-we-know-about-ships-updated-25062015/

The earlier brooklyn is even worst Its just like the mogami with the 6inch guns

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Brooklyn_(CL-40)

I think the Worcester is going to be terribad at high tiers outside of the AA. Same shit survivability as the Cleveland only with nastier guns around (and probably high tier battle cruisers with 3 RPM 12 inchers).

I started dabbling in US watercancer. The Bogue is almost 4k XP away and I'm wondering, should I use the strike air group config or the fighter one? I'm leaning towards the former but the complete lack of fighters troubles me. How can I deal with it?

I started dabbling in US watercancer. The Bogue is almost 4k XP away and I'm wondering, should I use the strike air group config or the fighter one? I'm leaning towards the former but the complete lack of fighters troubles me. How can I deal with it?

Use the stock config. The fighter config is too limiting and the strike config has no fighters and only gets two shit DBs for its troubles. It really could do with a 111 load out.

Use the stock config. The fighter config is too limiting and the strike config has no fighters and only gets two shit DBs for its troubles. It really could do with a 111 load out.

I'll second that, stick w/ Mod. 1 (stock 1/1/0) config. You don't have enough fire power to guarantee that you'll take out an enemy CV at the beginning of the game w/ a (0/1/2) config and you're hosed even if they have 1 fighter squadron as any competent CV driver would just focus their fighter on your TB. Winning the air war w/ a 2/0/1 configuration means depending on your team to actually be able to do something with the air dominance they've been given, and I've been let down every single time. Stock 1/1/0 is definitely the way to go for the Bogue. 

I actually find it much easier to grind this ship using the strike config in PVE since the bot never move the fighters off CAP over the CV you can just avoid them and deal a huge amount of damage to the rest of the team

What's the best way to aim at ships that are sailing towards you at an angle? The auto targeting thing seems to be weird as I can't just draw a vector in my head and aim that way because the shots fall much shorter than they should.

With BB's: fire all guns at once or fire one after the other?

I find myself mostly firing each gun seperately so that I can adjust immediately with the next shot if necessary, can switch to another target if one dies and the wait between shots isn't that long. With 4-5 secs between shots, the first gun is almost loaded again. Negative effect is that you don't do a ton of dmg at once (never do a 'massive strike') and for some reason a full salvo seems to do more dmg. But been playing just since this weekend, so I'm curious about the opinions more experienced captains. 

What's the best way to aim at ships that are sailing towards you at an angle? The auto targeting thing seems to be weird as I can't just draw a vector in my head and aim that way because the shots fall much shorter than they should.

practice.  also get a reticule with diagonal lines which help some.

Too bad there's not a mod with a continuously calculated ellipse. 

With BB's: fire all guns at once or fire one after the other?

I find myself mostly firing each gun seperately so that I can adjust immediately with the next shot if necessary, can switch to another target if one dies and the wait between shots isn't that long. With 4-5 secs between shots, the first gun is almost loaded again. Negative effect is that you don't do a ton of dmg at once (never do a 'massive strike') and for some reason a full salvo seems to do more dmg. But been playing just since this weekend, so I'm curious about the opinions more experienced captains. 

I always fire all my guns at once. Not only do you get get  the alpha strike it also means that it is harder to dodge.