no_name_cro

Quick questions & quick answers. [WoWS]

Shotgun barrage of questions:

1. How's the Furutake compared to the Kuma?  I love the Kuma, it's like a DD with real guns on it.  Furutake gonna be as much fun?
  2. I have enough XP to research the Langley or the New York, but not both quite yet; which line is more fun:  American BBs or American CVs?
  3. German BBs much fun?  Or should I sideline that and maybe go up the Japanese BBs and carriers? 
  4. What are the gems in this game in the lower tiers for the most part?
  5. Once upon a time the rule of thumb in WoT seemed to be that Tiers 1-3 were considered low tier, 4-8 middle tier, and 9-10 high tier.  Any similar breakdown in this game yet?
  6. I used to normally chain-fire with my BBs, but given the loooong reload time, I decided to just fire them one at a time, no salvoes, no chain-fire, just fire one, check splash, adjust aim, fire next one.  This is what it got me:  http://i.imgur.com/82hXNiK.jpg http://i.imgur.com/mRW1q3o.jpg  Do you guys tend to do this in BBs too?

1.  It's been a while, but the Furutaka is a capable tier 5 Cruiser, it can and will see tier 7 MM now, and that will teach you quickly not to sail straight line in front of either tier 7 BB's or Cruisers, who can citadel you dead in 1 or 2 volleys.

2.  American CVs are Okay at tier 4 and 5, but are the absolute worst ( all bottom 10 in win rate on the NA server  except for Midway which is in the bottom 20 ) from there on out unless you are playing the premium Saipan or Enterprise.  American BB's are solid all the way up from the New Mexico on.

3.  German BB's are a lot of fun, brawly and difficult to Citadel because of their "turtleback" armor.  They have amazing secondary's and interesting AA ( and sometimes torps ).  Plus you have two premium trainers in the tier 7 Scharnhorst and the tier 8 Tirpitz.  It's a "must play" line in my opinion.

4.  Low tier play is kinda weird, so I hesitate to endorse anything - Tier 4 BB Imperator Nikolai is OP with a server wide 60% win rate - but you won't be able to buy it again - Ischizuchi is cheap and available, and while it's a battlecruiser not a true BB - it's very flexible, fast and fun.  IJN DD's at tier 3 and 4  ( Wakatake, Isokaze ) are kinda of regular ship seal clubbers - as is the tier 4 US DD the Clemson. Tier 4's get special MM where they never see higher than tier 5 - so tier 4 is where most seal clubbers live.

5.  1-4 low tier 5-7 mid 8-10 high tier.   Tier 8's played properly can do more damage to a tier 10 enemy in WoWs than is possible in WoT (  I am talking average players here - obviously Unicorns can play whatever and change the game flow.)

2 minutes ago, BiggieD61 said:

1.  It's been a while, but the Furutaka is a capable tier 5 Cruiser, it can and will see tier 7 MM now, and that will teach you quickly not to sail straight line in front of either tier 7 BB's or Cruisers, who can citadel you dead in 1 or 2 volleys.

2.  American CVs are Okay at tier 4 and 5, but are the absolute worst ( all bottom 10 in win rate on the NA server  except for Midway which is in the bottom 20 ) from there on out unless you are playing the premium Saipan or Enterprise.  American BB's are slid all the way up from the New Mexico on.

3.  German BB's are a lot of fun, brawly and difficult to Citadel because of their "turtleback" armor.  They have amazing secondary's and interesting AA ( and sometimes torps ).  Plus you have two premium trainers in the tier 7 Scharnhorst and the tier 8 Tirpitz.  It's a "must play" line in my opinion.

4.  Low tier play is kinda weird, so I hesitate to endorse anything - Tier 4 BB Imperator Nikolai is OP with a server wide 60% win rate - but you won't be able to buy it again - Ischizuchi is cheap and available, and while it's a battlecruiser not a true BB - it's very flexible, fast and fun.  IJN DD's at tier 3 and 4  ( Wakatake, Isokaze ) are kinda of regular ship seal clubbers - as is the tier 4 US DD the Clemson. Tier 4's get special MM where they never see higher than tier 5 - so tier 4 is where most seal clubbers live.

5.  1-4 low tier 5-7 mid 8-10 high tier.   Tier 8's played properly can do more damage to a tier 10 enemy in WoWs than is possible in WoT (  I am talking average players here - obviously Unicorns can play whatever and change the game flow.)

1. OK good.  I'll pick it up.

2.  Good to know.  I'll avoid the American CVs then.  I assume the Jap CVs are the way to go.

3. Ok good.  I haven't played the Nassau any more than necessary to elite it.  The more I look at it though, that gun arrangement looks ideal for avoiding showing broadside to the enemy.

4. OK, sounds like WG really made the Japanese good in every class.

3 hours ago, FlorbFnarb said:

Shotgun barrage of questions:

1. How's the Furutake compared to the Kuma?  I love the Kuma, it's like a DD with real guns on it.  Furutake gonna be as much fun?

She's great. Even back when she had the old 6x1 turret configuration and got even more massively outranged by other ships, she was a joy to play. Was my first T5 cruiser, and had a 71% WR grinding her. The 203mms are so punchy for tier that for a BB main like me she felt like 'easy mode battleship', since I was to the Nagato or so on IJN at that time, and whatever handling issues the Furu has are very gentle compared to most battleships.

5 hours ago, FlorbFnarb said:

Do you guys tend to do this in BBs too?

BBs are all about punishing broadsides and thus if I see a broadsiding target (or, in higher tiers, a target that is about to broadside) I have a small window of opportunity to punish that target hard. Again, the higher the tier, the smaller the window.

This means I fire all my guns in a frenzy of double clicking :)

Stock Nagato is quite ok. Tier VII MM is often top tier and the guns and range are very workable there. I very much prefer Spotter Planes now on BBs for into smoke sniping. The extra range also helps alot whenever you are thrown into the occasional tier IX battle.

That stock hull HP is real low though. Hope the armor holds up fine. Btw how to git gud at IJN CAs? My tier 4 Kaiser is outperforming my Aoba and even ARP Nachi in average damage, kills, winrate etc... I am pretty mediocre in CAs overall. Also how did a Cyclone and Anthony DD end up in port? WG so kind to give them out for free?

14 minutes ago, 3lite5niper said:

Kaiser is outperforming my Aoba

BBs have the highest average damage but in this case it seems to be that you play your Aoba below it's potential. Cruisers are hard to play when there are so many BBs around though. In the case of IJN CAs you ned to play around the good concealment of these ships in order to mitiggrate the ultra bad turret traverse. The ships are relatively sturdy though. As with all non french CAs you hug island cover whenever possible and play passively till the field has cleared a bit and you have more room to angle against BBs.

14 minutes ago, 3lite5niper said:

how did a Cyclone and Anthony DD end up in port?

Dunkirk event. These can be used in PvE only (but they were only good for the special Dunkirk event) but the 19 Pts Captains that come with them can be used on any ship of the appropiate nation. And because they have 19 Pts they generate free Captains exp, which is nice.

But don't get too attached to either of these as they will be removed after the event ends.

It's actually been quite a long while since I last played, so I am rather out of touch. Is stealth firing no longer a thing? On my Aoba with CE, -3% detectability camo, my max range= range I will be detected when firing. Apparently, that seems to be regardless of camo. And that all ships' firing range is also = range detected when firing. Well, that explains why the Missouri could disappear in plain sight from my Nachi at a mere 15-16km..  Even BBs get better base stealth now. Long gone are the days of getting spotted before battle even starts.

22 minutes ago, 3lite5niper said:

all ships' firing range is also = range detected when firing

Indeed. This was changed bc invisifire from long range was deemed detrimental for the game (which I agree upon).

However BBs imho have way too good stealth currently. It is almost universally beneficial for BBs to take CE as their first rank 4 captain skill and this is certainly not working as intended.

I actually took Fire Prevention for my current Fuso captain. I bought the Nagato but have not trained a captain to it, I do have a Kongo 10pt captain that has not been skilled yet, so I could take CE for the Nagato. Is FP a bad choice though?

12 hours ago, FlorbFnarb said:

4. OK, sounds like WG really made the Japanese good in every class.

Both IJN and US fleets overall have the most tactical flexibility compared to other nations so far. Individually the IJN CVs are superior to US CVs but US DDs, especially high tier, are generally better because they aren't strictly dependent on guns or torpedo systems to be successful.

Both nations have good BBs but they are strong in different ways. US tend to have better armor when angled, better AA, faster rudder shift but IJN ships tend to have a faster top speed sooner in the tech tree, accurate guns with decent reloads. (Full disclosure I'm only up to tier 8 on both lines.)

As far as CAs go I think the edge goes to IJN because stealth has a larger impact on survival than AP shell normalization. The longer you live the more impact you can exert on a match. (Full disclosure I'm only up to tier 8 on US CAs and tier 9 IJN)

Anyone with a pile of Arpeggio captains and ships can now use them with regular IJN ships. I put a couple 10-pt captains on the Wakatake and Isokaze just because I could. You can put regular IJN captains into the ARP ships without retraining, either (they function as semi-premium - captains work like a premium ship, but no enhanced credit/XP boosts).

The nice thing about the ARP/IJN captain crossover is that a player can now keep a Kongo and Myoko to play with friends grinding up those lines, in addition - the Takao is a good ship for those who don't own the Atago but want a high level Capt for it without grinding it out in the ARP ships.

19 hours ago, Jaegaer said:

BBs are all about punishing broadsides and thus if I see a broadsiding target (or, in higher tiers, a target that is about to broadside) I have a small window of opportunity to punish that target hard. Again, the higher the tier, the smaller the window.

This means I fire all my guns in a frenzy of double clicking :)

Ah.  Well, my problem is I only have a Tier 4 BB at highest.  So, accuracy is this massive problem.  I can gauge lead and range right, and still might have only two shells hit out of a whole salvo.

7 hours ago, FlorbFnarb said:

have only two shells hit

If both are citadels then thats already a kill. I remember doing Citadel Missions in my Arkansas at tier IV, glorious citadelling on oblivious broadsiding Cruisers :)

2 hours ago, Jaegaer said:

If both are citadels then thats already a kill. I remember doing Citadel Missions in my Arkansas at tier IV, glorious citadelling on oblivious broadsiding Cruisers :)

The Ishizuchi is pretty good at citadels too despite the wonky guns. ;)

3 hours ago, Jaegaer said:

How do I maximize the number of citadel hits though?  My BBs are so inaccurate I'm lucky to hit even at 5 km sometimes.

Also, man, the turrets on the Furutake turn like BB turrets.  Soooo slooooww...the goddamn ship turns faster than the turrets.  I expect I could do a 180 in the ship faster than I could turn the turrets from port to starboard.

20 minutes ago, FlorbFnarb said:

How do I maximize the number of citadel hits though?  My BBs are so inaccurate I'm lucky to hit even at 5 km sometimes.

Also, man, the turrets on the Furutake turn like BB turrets.  Soooo slooooww...the goddamn ship turns faster than the turrets.  I expect I could do a 180 in the ship faster than I could turn the turrets from port to starboard.

Take time to aim, clutch shots need great timing. In the case of slow traverse turrets, use rudder where you can and ease out of turns to aim shots ftw...

16 minutes ago, FlorbFnarb said:

Maximizing accuracy even with derpy guns comes down to practice. Some ships you might notice have a tendency to shoot low of the cross hair while others are a little high. You have to compensate for this. Plus you have to have a pretty good idea of where the citadels are. Most ships have one beneath the funnel(s) but not all do. Some have them beneath the main turrets. You have to develop a feel for where to aim and to adjust for any evasive maneuvers. Also some ships that have thin armor like the Omaha you can citadel through the bow or stern. But again that takes practice to get good at.

As for the Furataka, you have to plan ahead where you want your turrets to be. She's not a knife fighter because of the turret traverse, so most engagements you'll want to be 10-12km. It's good practice because IJN CAs don't get fast turrets until high tier and even then they're not fast by other nations standards, just less slow. :)

What are the most Kuma-like cruisers in the game?  I really enjoy that thing.  The whole destroyer on steroids thing is hilariously fun.

7 hours ago, Rodrigopine said:

Maximizing accuracy even with derpy guns comes down to practice. Some ships you might notice have a tendency to shoot low of the cross hair while others are a little high. You have to compensate for this. Plus you have to have a pretty good idea of where the citadels are. Most ships have one beneath the funnel(s) but not all do. Some have them beneath the main turrets. You have to develop a feel for where to aim and to adjust for any evasive maneuvers. Also some ships that have thin armor like the Omaha you can citadel through the bow or stern. But again that takes practice to get good at.

As for the Furataka, you have to plan ahead where you want your turrets to be. She's not a knife fighter because of the turret traverse, so most engagements you'll want to be 10-12km. It's good practice because IJN CAs don't get fast turrets until high tier and even then they're not fast by other nations standards, just less slow. :)

Yeah, the Furutake definitely plays differently than the Kuma.  Does anybody actually take the C hull?  It goes from 6 turrets to 3, and just seems to get 4 more AA guns in exchange.   Is that really a good trade?

4 minutes ago, FlorbFnarb said:

What are the most Kuma-like cruisers in the game?  I really enjoy that thing.  The whole destroyer on steroids thing is hilariously fun.

Yeah, the Furutake definitely plays differently than the Kuma.  Does anybody actually take the C hull?  It goes from 6 turrets to 3, and just seems to get 4 more AA guns in exchange.   Is that really a good trade?

You get double guns per turret so no loss in firepower. I believe C hull might have different rudder shift but not 100% sure because I moved past the Furutaka before they released the C hull. My understanding is that the C hull essentially makes it a tier 5 Aoba.

As for Kuma like cruisers in the game, probably the most similar might be British cruisers. Other CAs don't have the slick handling that you've come to enjoy.

11 minutes ago, Rodrigopine said:

You get double guns per turret so no loss in firepower. I believe C hull might have different rudder shift but not 100% sure because I moved past the Furutaka before they released the C hull. My understanding is that the C hull essentially makes it a tier 5 Aoba.

As for Kuma like cruisers in the game, probably the most similar might be British cruisers. Other CAs don't have the slick handling that you've come to enjoy.

Ah, might have to jump into the Brits then.  I really do like the Kuma.