no_name_cro

Quick questions & quick answers. [WoWS]

How does the penetration of the Furutaka's guns compare to other 8in guns? I can't even get citadels on the interwar cruisers with any sort of consistency.

How does the penetration of the Furutaka's guns compare to other 8in guns? I can't even get citadels on the interwar cruisers with any sort of consistency.

They shouldn't be that much worse than the 8" guns on the Aoba. They're the same gun upgraded and the 200mms have better muzzle velocity.

They are the same guns as all the other IJN CAs until tier 10. They are great for citadelling Fuso's

I don't get it. If these supposedly can citadel a battleship, then why is it near impossible for me to citadel anything with them? I deal less damage per volley with these things than I did with the Kuma's guns.

Edited by TouchFluffyTail

I don't get it. If these supposedly can citadel a battleship, then why is it near impossible for me to citadel anything with them? I deal less damage per volley with these things than I did with the Kuma's guns.

HOlding shots and waiting for enemy cruisers to sail in straight lines and give you their citadels is they key, granted the Furutaka sucks because it has the turret travers of a BB, guns that are neither a cruiser's nor a BB's, and its RoF is not BB tier, but horrendous for anything that performs at its level -- it can pull off amazing damage and extremely good results if played by experience players, but getting to know lead, knowing where to shoot what ship, and how much to lead each ship, isn't a skill that you develop overnight. You could say that the Furutaka has an extremely high skill ceiling where its AP shells become worth more than HE. I myself should play it more to learn that but... I'd rather drive my Nagato than grind that not so enjoyable ship... ( Kuma feels so much better)

The USA Tier V Omaha is probably a lot easier to play since it has a higher RoF and can still pen citadels of other inter-war cruisers. You might want to practice on that one... or just suffer at the Furutaka and keep playing it until you know what you're doing and begin scoring cit hits after cit hits.

The one main thing which handicaps the Furutaka is that it automatically loses to other ships in brawls because of its turret rotation speed and the massively inferior DPM it has. What it is good at is to surprise broadside enemy BBs while remaining at a distance.

It's entirely possible you're overpenetrating the citadels of some cruisers (Omahahahaha and Kuma are 2 examples)

Aim closer to the waterline.

It's entirely possible you're overpenetrating the citadels of some cruisers (Omahahahaha and Kuma are 2 examples)

I am wondering about the overpenetration of cits since somehow I was able to penetrate the citadel of an Omaha with its side flat on to me... and it was 5kms away. Is there any evidence on that?

Already do that, doesn't help.

HOlding shots and waiting for enemy cruisers to sail in straight lines and give you their citadels is they key, granted the Furutaka sucks because it has the turret travers of a BB, guns that are neither a cruiser's nor a BB's, and its RoF is not BB tier, but horrendous for anything that performs at its level -- it can pull off amazing damage and extremely good results if played by experience players, but getting to know lead, knowing where to shoot what ship, and how much to lead each ship, isn't a skill that you develop overnight. You could say that the Furutaka has an extremely high skill ceiling where its AP shells become worth more than HE. I myself should play it more to learn that but... I'd rather drive my Nagato than grind that not so enjoyable ship... ( Kuma feels so much better)

The USA Tier V Omaha is probably a lot easier to play since it has a higher RoF and can still pen citadels of other inter-war cruisers. You might want to practice on that one... or just suffer at the Furutaka and keep playing it until you know what you're doing and begin scoring cit hits after cit hits.

The one main thing which handicaps the Furutaka is that it automatically loses to other ships in brawls because of its turret rotation speed and the massively inferior DPM it has. What it is good at is to surprise broadside enemy BBs while remaining at a distance.

Omaha, Kuma, Phoenix, with any of those I can shred interwar cruisers with 3-5 volleys of AP. Furutaka is lucky to break 2-3k damage with one volley.

Already do that, doesn't help.

Omaha, Kuma, Phoenix, with any of those I can shred interwar cruisers with 3-5 volleys of AP. Furutaka is lucky to break 2-3k damage with one volley.

This may sound stupid, but fire AP at them when they're angled. You'd be surprised at the angles 203mm AP can citadel a Omaha (even right through the bow, rip)

I apologize in advance if this is a stupid question.

What does "X" do? Back in CBT, as best I recall, it locked turrets at the given az/el. Now, it tells me I don't have a current target designated or some such. And I saw a Q&A post in the patch thread saying that "X" did something to dispersion? halp. 

I apologize in advance if this is a stupid question.

What does "X" do? Back in CBT, as best I recall, it locked turrets at the given az/el. Now, it tells me I don't have a current target designated or some such. And I saw a Q&A post in the patch thread saying that "X" did something to dispersion? halp. 

X locks onto a ship within range. Ctrl+X locks turrets onto a bearing relative to the ship. Shift+X locks guns onto a part of the map.

So AP when angled, HE broadside? I can try that, although I can citadel the things at any angle with a BB.

I would still fire AP broadside as IF you do hit the citadel you dont usually overpen.

I would still fire AP broadside as IF you do hit the citadel you dont usually overpen.

I think I was firing from ranges where hitting the citadel simply wasn't possible. Shots were just hitting the side or sinking into the water in front of them. I've been having slightly better luck with the AP now.

I'm not even sure this is possible, how does an overpenetration of a citadel work?

I'm not even sure this is possible, how does an overpenetration of a citadel work?

Same way as any other overpenetration. Not enough armor/space in the citadel for the shell to detonate before passing through.

Same way as any other overpenetration. Not enough armor/space in the citadel for the shell to detonate before passing through.

But what's the damage multiplier? I've never read anything about over-penetrating a citadel, nor have I experienced it myself, so I'm just a tad a sceptical it is even a thing.

I don't think you can over pen a citadel. What can happen is you can miss the citadel by firing straight over it when close in, since your trajectory will be very flat (more of a problem with Japanese laser beams than US spud launchers).

Just got the Cleveland.  Last time I had that ship was CBT before the fire spam became a thing.  I know I'm going to get shot at .. a lot...lol

question on upgrades: I've got main battery 1, the 1st AA upgrade, the 1st steering upgrade(reduces chance of it breaking) but the last spot has a choice between a steering mod that reduces rudder turn time by 20% v the damage control one that reduces flood recovery and fire recovery by 15%.  

Not sure which to choose between steering and damage control given the current meta?

Pretty sure I had the steering mod before but again, that was before the HE fire spam patch.

Thoughts, comments etc appreciated.

Damage control works multiplicatively, so the reduced fire chance is pretty minimal at best, I'd go with the steering mod.

I don't think you can over pen a citadel. What can happen is you can miss the citadel by firing straight over it when close in, since your trajectory will be very flat (more of a problem with Japanese laser beams than US spud launchers).

There should always enough be enough armour to cause an AP shell to fuse thereby detonating in the right place.

This is somewhat at odds with advice I see from several prominent YouTubers; shooting at the waterline cause AP shells that hit the water first to lose pen thereby improving the chances of a citadel.
This would be true if thinner armour didn't cause AP shells to fuse but I have not seen anything, official or otherwise, that would confirm this.

Opinion on that OnboardG1?

Does increasing the range on a ship's main guns (scout plane, upgraded range finders, equipment) automatically make dispersion worse at all ranges? I've read that repeatedly on /vg/.

Is there a dev post on which planes are affected by the rear gunner perk?

Any ETA for the CV rebalance patch?

Does increasing the range on a ship's main guns (scout plane, upgraded range finders, equipment) automatically make dispersion worse at all ranges? I've read that repeatedly on /vg/.  They don't give us enough info on dispersion in the first place, but I don't think so.

Is there a dev post on which planes are affected by the rear gunner perk?  All bomber planes have rear gunners, so all of them.

Any ETA for the CV rebalance patch?  no clue.

I was a bit late on the edit of my last post so I'll repost my question here: 

When to fire AP out of BB? I saw a Yamato game where the guy only fired AP and wrecked everything he shot at. In my Myogi and Wyoming I'm shooting it at any cruisers and BBs my tier and up.

Also, Torp bomber AI seems really buggy. Sometimes it does this staggered, crossing-paths spread which never has any chance to hit. Am I missing something here or is this down to 'beta'?

There should always enough be enough armour to cause an AP shell to fuse thereby detonating in the right place.

This is somewhat at odds with advice I see from several prominent YouTubers; shooting at the waterline cause AP shells that hit the water first to lose pen thereby improving the chances of a citadel.
This would be true if thinner armour didn't cause AP shells to fuse but I have not seen anything, official or otherwise, that would confirm this.

Opinion on that OnboardG1?

Citadels are usually below the waterline, ergo fire at the waterline because otherwise it'll just skim over the top. Not always true of course, the Omaha's seems to poke up a bit.