PraisePingu

Tier 8 SH - FCM or CDC?

Initially this appeared to be a simple question to me - the CDC is not a tank with preferential matchmaking, where the FCM is - indicating the CDC is better. This would mean removing the mm in SH would make the CDC a better choice.

But then I heard an opinion proclaiming the FCM is better, so I looked at the stats: FCM has 1500 HP, CDC 1400, while CDC has much better manoeuvrability, gun depression, some soft stats on the identical gun. However the CDC will almost never bounce, whereas the the FCM certainly can pull off a bounce or two - and it has very thick tracks. (This is from experience playing the FCM) Although you can't ever expect it to bounce, and mostly it won't.

One important point is that our SH is played quite regular in regards to heavies - get in position, and call focus fire. This usually consists of IS-3's, and maybe  FCM/Panther8,8/Caern. In this role the FCM does well - taking hits, reloading fast to finish off tanks, providing added speed and reaction to the fight.

I'm interested whether to advise people to choose a CDC or FCM in light of a more conclusive answer to this. People who have played both can obviously tell it much easier, and different SH commands may give totally different results, but any answer is welcome :) 

p.s. I don't have a CDC because I'm not made of money, so I've tried not to be too opinionated towards my beloved FCM - sorry if this has crept in!

Pershing is preferable, as cdc and fcm are too soft, cdc especially. (also pershings apcr rounds help) but FCM is better than cdc i think. this is for SH tho, not for randoms. FCM for randoms is probably better due to +1mm

CDC > FCM all day long. Better DPM, identical armor (none!), and while the sheltered MM of the FCM makes it different, the CDC has the depression, speed, and just enough camo to be effective regardless of MM. It DOES require a more "aware"  sense of play, but its exceptionally effective. I have just over 300 battles in the CDC in strongholds, over 150 in pubs and it just shits out the credits with 0 fucks given for MM.

Ultimately, it comes down to playstyle. I like fast squishy tanks with some camo. I could not STAND the FCM when I was playing it but I needed crews, so I did

I didn't even know people seriously used FCM's in t8 stronks.  I've never seen a CDC either, it's almost always the usual 54 ltwts + RU251 + IS3/110 + 50 100's with the occasional 13 90 and T32 and the odd roomba

Get out of here, tryhard, strongholds are for credits and shit grinds, Cancer comp GO!

3xCDC

2xCDC

1xFCM

1xAC48

1xT34

1xT28 Proto

2xKaaaernurvhn

1xCenturion

1xIS-5

Honestly, we use so many shit setups for tier VIII strongs ... sometimes it costs you a game but most of the time it works.
If I have to command, I usually bring a serious tank but if I don't: Super Pershing or FCM.

To answer your question: CDC>FCM for strongs. For randoms, I value preferential MM and would never spend money on a tier VIII premium that isn't sheltered.

If you ever see me in SH, and our comp is try hard, chances are good that I am calling and enforced good tanks to make up for my sub-standard calling.  Otherwise, you will see all sorts of shit in our lineups.  We help people grind tier 5s and 7s too.  

Both FCM and CDC require a stronger player to get value out of them, but I've seen them bother be effective over and over.  You'll never see me in my FCM in SH because I'm not good enough to actually help the team out in mine.  

Stonghold Grinding best Grinding.

I rotate my CDC and FCM in SH play, I find myself using the CDC slightly more often, because of the extra mobility plus the fact I can trust my team to support in a way that I can't in pubs, but for everything except Strongholds the FCM is far better in every single way. ignore Marine hes just a fanboi. 

I'm not into SH but i tried the CDC in randoms over 70 battle with my Batchat crew it was really fabulous ...

I will try the FCM on test server to have an opinion but at the time i will surely buy the CDC

Thanks for the feedback :DI guess advising people to get CDC if only for SH, and FCM if not, would be a good compromise. Agreed that both are great tanks, though. 

If you ever see me in SH, and our comp is try hard, chances are good that I am calling and enforced good tanks to make up for my sub-standard calling.  Otherwise, you will see all sorts of shit in our lineups.  We help people grind tier 5s and 7s too.  

Both FCM and CDC require a stronger player to get value out of them, but I've seen them bother be effective over and over.  You'll never see me in my FCM in SH because I'm not good enough to actually help the team out in mine.  

I found that I sucked a lot in the SH with FCM at first, especially because I am scrub that peaks at 1500 WN8 on a good day (definitely not overall) but I grew into it with experience with the tank, and now my team appreciate my contribution. I think it's a case how when you're playing team based game modes like SH, it's not enough to handle the tank but you have to be comfortable and really know your tank to have a good effect :) if you feel comfortable in another tank and enjoy it and have enough silver, there's no reason to start playing prems you don't know  

Thanks for the feedback :DI guess advising people to get CDC if only for SH, and FCM if not, would be a good compromise. Agreed that both are great tanks, though. 

Another huge consideration is what french lines you intend to play.  If you think you'll go 50b, FCM is a far superior choice.  If you are going bat chat, the CDC would serve you better.  

Personally, I trained 4 crews in my FCM.  The two best went 1390 and Lorraine (bat chat eventually), and the lesser two wend 50100 and 50b, because I knew I'd be able to continue their training in the FCM.  Having played 800 games in the FCM, I'm pretty much done with the tank. I don't have anywhere near as much fun as I once did.  I've only done the last 100 or so games with an actually good crew (rather than training fresh guys), and the first 700 left a lot to be desired.  

CDC > FCM all day long. Better DPM, identical armor (none!)

But FCM isn't built on ammoracks like CDC. Which means FCM has way better DPM after taking two hits. Also FCM has better armor, it actually bounces every now and then, CDC just doesn't. In SH though I think it kind of depends on set up of your team, both can be used.

CDC > FCM all day long. Better DPM, identical armor (none!), and while the sheltered MM of the FCM makes it different, the CDC has the depression, speed, and just enough camo to be effective regardless of MM. It DOES require a more "aware"  sense of play, but its exceptionally effective. I have just over 300 battles in the CDC in strongholds, over 150 in pubs and it just shits out the credits with 0 fucks given for MM.

Ultimately, it comes down to playstyle. I like fast squishy tanks with some camo. I could not STAND the FCM when I was playing it but I needed crews, so I did

your actually incorrect. the FCM is at least resistant to HE and can even sidescrape in a pinch. the CDC is wholly reliant on its driver bieng a good player to make it work, the FCM is at least a tad more forgiving to newbs

If we have at least 4-5 IS-5s, then CDCs are better, but if we have loads of lights and meds, then the FCM is preferred, because you can push with it, and can be used as a semi-heavy, because it has some armor, loads of hp, and it can ram.

Pershing is preferable, as cdc and fcm are too soft, cdc especially. (also pershings apcr rounds help) but FCM is better than cdc i think. this is for SH tho, not for randoms. FCM for randoms is probably better due to +1mm

Yea Pershing is a "Rock" . LOL . Pershing is fine tank . But calling it anything harder then french tanks is just a joke . ( maybe a little ) :P

I dont have issues w/ ammo racks

Wut? I had it on "loan" in my garage from missions and in 4 games I lost my ammorack 4 or 5 times (not sure about last game), kappa.

Wut? I had it on "loan" in my garage from missions and in 4 games I lost my ammorack 4 or 5 times (not sure about last game), kappa.

Dont expose sides of your hull, dont get ammo rack issues. EZ. 

Dont expose sides of your hull, dont get ammo rack issues. EZ. 

I try not to, but I also gotta try to farm damage at the end ;).

I do like the tank and with time I might actually learn to avoid ammorack issue (or it might also be just very small sample size), but as I already have FCM, not sure if I need another French. I may have to buy IS-6 (or *gulp* SP) first :).

Does the CDC's turret break less?  because if you never get a broken turret in the CDC, that would be a huge factor for me.  At least 75% of my total broken turrets are in my 800 FCM games.  

So I just picked up the CDC, but am waiting for 1-more female crew member so I can start a new crew fresh for the grind.  Yeah, it will suck running a fresh crew in BT10 in a paper thin sniper tank, but fuck it, it will force me to not be a camping pubtard. 

I am really looking forward to running the CDC, even without 6th and a fresh crew.  I like the FCM, not that I am that great in it, but what I really need to work on is the active/passive play.  Probably my biggest problem in WoT is that I don't GTFO when I need to.  I always feel like I need to be spotting/shooting/Doing SOMEthing so my pubbie team doesn't inevitably fail itself. This is a huge problem in my LTs- I always want to be active, to force myself to contribute, even if I only have 100 hp left. 

So CDC I think will be a great trainer to break me of the habit and help me figure out when to disengage.