Hi all, so Last week I decided that I wanted to try and pick up something new! So I wanted to start learning how to code. Now I know there many different types of languages like python and C++. But just to be curious, what is the base code of the wot client? Plz no hate and thank you!!

Without looking, the game engine is probably written in C++. Most games are programmed in C++. However, the mod framework is all in Python, and Python is a much easier language to start with and will get you results quickly.

It's awesome that you're going to be getting into programming. If you're in college or about to go, I highly recommend taking the introductory Computer Science courses, even if that's not your declared major. I started off planning on doing Electrical Engineering, but fell in love in the first CS class and switched majors. Programming is fun as hell.

Programming fun things like games is definitely the way to kindle interest. Do it!

Without looking, the game engine is probably written in C++. Most games are programmed in C++. However, the mod framework is all in Python, and Python is a much easier language to start with and will get you results quickly.

It's awesome that you're going to be getting into programming. If you're in college or about to go, I highly recommend taking the introductory Computer Science courses, even if that's not your declared major. I started off planning on doing Electrical Engineering, but fell in love in the first CS class and switched majors. Programming is fun as hell.

Programming fun things like games is definitely the way to kindle interest. Do it!

Thanks a bunch, I'll check it out and hopefully learn it one day. Btw I want to go into Mechanical Engineering or Aerospace engineering when I go to college :3

That doesn't look like any bass I've ever seen.

Whoops, I meant Base Code...

Code base* :P in case you didn't get why all the jokes about fish and terrible pop songs being passed around.

I'm seconding what Pork said tho.  I was originally a Bioengineering major when I started college, but I took computer science as a minor since I always wanted to learn how to program.

I ended up switching majors my junior year.  If you can't fit CS classes into your schedule though, there's some great resources online to pick stuff up on your own in your free time.  If you're the hands-on type of learner, check out https://www.codingame.com/ , it supports a lot of languages (including Python, C++, C, Java, Haskell, PHP) and teaches you by having you write code for basic behavior in a game.  For example, the first "challenge" is to write code for a defense turret to shoot down incoming enemies based on their proximity to the turret.  There's also a chat room so you can ask for help if you get stuck, and the challenges usually provide sample code to work from so you don't have to figure it out on your own.

Oh, and for what it's worth you can definitely program games in any language. There are multilingual game libraries like SDL that provide just about all of the graphics, audio, and game input functions you'd need to write a game. I think my first game was a command console version of Pong in C++. I'm envious that you're able to start down this path with all of this stuff available and easy to use!

When I started learning code it was to program solvers for high school physics and math/geometry equations on my TI-83 calculator in BASIC, fun times.

There's probably a large population of computer nerds and code monkeys on this forum (and this subsection in particular) so hell, we're probably a resource as well.

Pork is correct, any language can essentially be used. My first game was a Minesweeper version written in Delphi/Pascal lol

C++ is an awfully deep pool to jump into for your first  programming language. You might want to think twice before leaping. I would suggest a simpler language to start to learn the basics.

Here is a collection of online compilers/interpreters for many languages so you can try them out without having to set up an environment.

Here is a collection of online compilers/interpreters for many languages so you can try them out without having to set up an environment.

I would recommend you do set it up though. If you decide to start working with it, it's a good thing if you know you're way around the entire thing.

C++ is an awfully deep pool to jump into for your first  programming language. You might want to think twice before leaping. I would suggest a simpler language to start to learn the basics.

I agree. C++ is very deep and I would not recommend trying to go down that path by yourself as a first language. However, it's a great first language to learn in a classroom environment or with a mentor's help. Learning the nuts and bolts of how memory and programs work in C and C++ will make your understanding of other languages much deeper. It's not an easy language and you're handed plenty of rope to hang yourself with, but I think it's a great language to learn with an expert's help.

Nothing personal about the neg - but that chick makes me physically ill.

I ain't even mad. I can't stand the song, but just thought it was funny given the topic.