Sign in to follow this  
mereelskirata

Need a new tablet, don't know where to start.

So recently I bought a pair of head phones to find out the audio jack on my tablet was not working (It's some cheap tablet my parents got me a while back). I was planning on getting a new one in a few months, but before I opened it I heard stuff rattling around, turns out it was falling apart on the inside... So now I guess I need to get a new one now. I don't know where to start looking for a tablet or what to look at, so I came here. All I want out of it is to be rigid enough not to fall apart on it's own. All I'll be doing with it is web browsing and youtube or netflix videos. I'd prefer not to spend too much money, because what I spend is coming out of my computer money, so maybe up to 300$ give or take a little.

My last tablet was a windows tablet if that matters.

I've purchased a number of Chinese tablets over the last few years for myself, my wife and oldest son. Models from Onda and Cube. They all use the Allwinner chips and offer some nice specs at very decent prices. There is a nice utility available for allwinner devices that allows you to boot from an SD card, it's really handy for flashing with new/custom ROM's (best way to get rid of all the Chinese bloatware) and it makes these devices virtually unbrickable since you can easliy reflash back to an official ROM if you have problems. However the build quality can be a bit hit and miss. My Onda V972 has stopped charging and my wife's Cube 9x has an ongoing problem with the volume button. We sent hers back to the manufacturer for repairs but it came back unchanged. Given the cost of sending the device was half the original purchase cost and dealing with the language barriers and different consumer laws meant any further follow up with OEM was not worth the hassle. My V972 is with a local repairer atm and if they can get it working I'll have them look at the Cube. Just a word of caution but then I live in a relatively remote area of NW Australia and my repeairer options for such things are very limited.

Dan

I've got a Nook HD that I've had for a while and it has given me little issues.  I'm rather fond of it; it's pretty cheap yet still feels sturdy and has a rather nice screen.  Dunno how dated it will be compared to newer tablets though.

I use it for web browsing and other similar things and it does the job pretty well.  I'd personally recommend it.

The Acer Iconia and Asus Memopad come to mind for a small budget. You could probably get either one for below $150.

If you want something more on the premium side, an NVIDIA Shield tablet is an option for ~$300, but that's more for gaming, unnecessary for streaming/videos. As much as I have a dislike towards Apple, their iPad Mini 2 is actually decent for around $300 as well.

Not sure if you are still looking or not but we have an iPad for our more serious stuff but I use this for the same thing you are thinking, Netflix, Pandora, etc.

Well worth the $65.  Make sure to get the one "without special offers" if you do so you don't have ad crap all over it.

http://www.amazon.com/Fire-Display-Wi-Fi-GB-Black/dp/B00ZDWGF7W/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1447692881&sr=8-2&keywords=fire