Rawkes

What basic things do you wish you knew when you started? aka. After 3k games I discovered you can hold down the mouse button to fire continuously.

I still click with autoloaders. It feels more accurate - partially because I get a fraction of a second more aim time.

One thing I wish I knew when I started playing? How frustrating playing at a comparatively high level can be.

'C' to reclip was something I learned pretty late, but not so late as to actually affect my stats.

This is a bit more complicated than "C to reclip" but:
"if the game starts to slip away, DO NOT YOLO OUT OF DESPERATION."  My thought was "game is looking bad, but if I get lucky and kill that guy, I can get us back in".  So I'd throw away close games over and over with low percentage risks.

A little simpler:
"the goal of the game is to reduce the other teams hitpoints to zero, and maintaining your teams hitpoitns above zero.  Try to remove opponents hitpoints WHILE PROTECTING YOUR OWN"

And maybe:
"joining a good clan of people at or above your level will accelerate your growth.  DON'T WAIT."

Facepalm time:
"Upgrade your computer rather than trying to play at 10 FPS"

I feel less bad about this one since it doesn't feel intuitive:
"if you shoot the track from the side, you can deal damage AND track the tank"

"Upgrade your computer rather than try to play with 10 FPS"

Last post I made on the WoT subreddit with a screenshot of the game, literally half the comments were "rip you, playing minimum graphics and still only getting 36fps"

Perks of being an out-of-state college student...

It took me a long time to learn the more advanced aspects of the game, and I wish I could of explained it to my past self. I would camp all the damn time... and I mean camp, like within spitting distance of spawn. I just didn't understand anything beyond "I have to kill/damage as many tanks as possible before I die".  It wasn't just that I needed more time playing, but also that I was younger. I started playing in 2011, so when I was 16/17 years old. In other words, I was dumb. I think that if I would of started playing when I was 20, I could of gotten better much sooner.

Luckily most of my battles were in the SU-85 (when it had the 107mm), so the campy attitude meshed well with what was basically a tier 5 roomba. Still, that performance didn't translate as well into my heavies and mediums.

I feel that the interface is very newbie unfriendly.  It is not surprising that so many people misunderstand the shells, since WG makes no effort to explain those slashes in game. 

I thought HE was the best shell cause it's damage was the highest 

I totally did this at low tiers because I thought that any damage was better than none. I think this is somewhat common, still, at middling tiers. It really grinds my gears now.

I wish I knew that racing up the Tiers to try and get a NEAR Invunerable Tank is not possible.  (Trying to get to a Tank that isn't destroyed in 1 or 2 shots.)

Or that the British Line is full of frustrating SLOW Tanks.

Or that I'd still be using the 17 Pounder in Tier 8.

The thing i wish I learnt early on was that Your Team doesn't always fight in the teams best interest, and trying to cover for a team that is only interested in kills will get you killed.

I learned about horizontal stabilization, holding down the mouse to fire automatically when the load timer resets, and that "C" reloads the clip...Just now reading this. Thanks.

So after 3k games I discovered that you can hold down the mouse button to fire immediately once reloaded -- before this point I was constantly clicking when the reload timer was approaching 1 second to go (I know...).

I also only discovered in the past 500 games or so the joys of enabling the settings for dynamic camera and horizontal stabilisation in sniper mode -- holy crap these made a massive difference to my performance and accuracy in sniper mode! Why these aren't enabled by default I have no idea.

What (potentially embarassingly) basic things do you know now that you wish you knew when starting out?

So you're saying you learned this after 3k games, if you want to feel better I learned it just now xD

after maybe 50 games in SPGs figured out how to get sniper/top-down mode and actually hit something

about 3000 games in discovered there was WN8 & WR% stats as well as driving around blasting stuff and not trying to get blapped

about 3500 games in realized that stat chasing was the only real end game in this for me

I learned about horizontal stabilization about 800 games ago. Magical thing it is.

Also even though you can hold the button down to continue firing, dont because too often the target dies and you unclick a second or two before and the gun still fires. Its quite annoying.

Whats Horizontal Stabilization?

That there was stuff like Wn8, winrate..... and my stats really sucked. So here I am playing "catch up" I feel like I never get out of the rut either :( 

<--------------------------------------------------------------------

i learned at about 3000+ battles you could retrain your crew and move them up the lines to keep the perks/training.... so many 100% crews dismissed and so many 75% crews bought...

Whats Horizontal Stabilization?

In the settings there are two options – dynamic camera and horizontal stabilisation – enable them both to remove the reticle bouncing while moving and to keep the reticle pointing the same direction when you pivot your tank. Together these make a huge difference to aiming ability.

I tried that. It very rarely actually works for me. Id say it stops maybe one shot every ten or so games and quite often if may stop a shot I still want to fly like when aimed at an enemy but cursor is on a ally and such because driving.

SafeShot can be set to prevent you shooting recent wrecks, and/or friendly tanks. I have it set to prevent me shooting recent wrecks, but not friendlies. Works for me; may work for you too. 

It took me a long time to learn the more advanced aspects of the game, and I wish I could of explained it to my past self. I would camp all the damn time... and I mean camp, like within spitting distance of spawn. I just didn't understand anything beyond "I have to kill/damage as many tanks as possible before I die".  It wasn't just that I needed more time playing, but also that I was younger. I started playing in 2011, so when I was 16/17 years old. In other words, I was dumb. I think that if I would of started playing when I was 20, I could of gotten better much sooner.

Luckily most of my battles were in the SU-85 (when it had the 107mm), so the campy attitude meshed well with what was basically a tier 5 roomba. Still, that performance didn't translate as well into my heavies and mediums.

I was ten when I started... I still remember me having the Vickers Mk. II British MT. I spent 100 battles playing Tier 1s, just because I didn't know what the tech tree is. Then when I got this tier 2 I was like, "Hell! Where have I been all this time!?" But I sold it and went on to the T18.

SafeShot can be set to prevent you shooting recent wrecks, and/or friendly tanks. I have it set to prevent me shooting recent wrecks, but not friendlies. Works for me; may work for you too. 

Yes, I have it set. Very rarely does it actually work for me. Once in a while it will but that is about it.

In the settings there are two options – dynamic camera and horizontal stabilisation – enable them both to remove the reticle bouncing while moving and to keep the reticle pointing the same direction when you pivot your tank. Together these make a huge difference to aiming ability.

I've literally spent 15k battles perfecting my shots to hit what I aim when bouncing over rough terrain...

:retard:

Edit: this works in first person as well, right?