So, I saw the Quick Questions/Quick Answers thread and it made me a little claustrophobic. I didn't like the idea of shotgunning my question into the thread and hoping for a meaningful response -- it didn't seem like I'd get a very personal answer.

So, here it goes: I'm pretty much a new guy (see my Hello, World! post) and I'm trying to learn more about the game in order to be better at it. I'm not a complete idiot; I've read most of the articles on the wiki as well as various people's write-ups on game mechanics and such. I understand how Crews work (give or take a few Skills/pieces of equipment) and the importance of having good crews. However, what isn't as clear is how to go about achieving multiple-skill crews. I currently have 5 or so Tier IV tanks and 2 Tier V tanks (one of which is the Churchill III premium tank).

Through my advancement in the tiers, I have been retraining my crews at 75% each time using credits. However, as I could have predicted, that never really allows me to get enough XP to get any skills or perks. The time spent in the tanks as I progress up the line are not nearly enough to get a crew to any sort of meaningful level. I desperately need advice on how to treat my crews as I enter mostly Tier V range. I don't have many great, specific questions that I know will help me, either.

I guess I'll use a situation to help ask my question. Currently, I have a KV-1. I've heard that it's a great tank to keep in your garage and so I planned on keeping it around. I currently have a crew with about 90% Major Qualification rating and I'm not sure what I should do with that crew once I get to the KV-1S. Since I plan on keeping the KV-1, should I train a new crew for the KV-1S to 75%?

What should I do with the Domination 100% crews that I now have in my barracks? I'm scared to waste them on low-tier tanks. It has, however, overfilled my barracks to the point where I had to purchase new barracks slots or else I couldn't transfer a crew from one tank to another (because my barracks were overfilled).

TL;DR: I'm in a tough spot with learning how to properly handle my crews to maximize the effectiveness of them and to achieve more skills on each crew. What the hell should I do?!

So from my experience, you really won't get to multiple skill crews until around tier 7 or 8 if you continuously train them with credits as soon as you unlock a tank. However, you may not want to move on right away. I'd advise you to hang on to the KV-1 for a while, before you get the KV-1S, T-150, or KV-85. Wait until you hit 100% on your first crew skills, and by then you will not only have a good crew to move into a higher tank, but also a significantly better knowledge of the game. Practice sidescraping and angling your armor in the KV-1. Get good at trading efficiently/learning when to trade, etc. Once you have a good grasp of those concepts, move on to the T-150 or KV-85, which are both very good tanks as well, and move your good crew over as you progress through the tiers. 

You generally can get a answer in the qqqa thread if its simple, so don't worry about getting over looked. If you are short on barracks but have plenty of garage slots, you can buy a couple of low tier tanks and store crew in them, just don't retrain to them, unless you are actually going to play them.

I always try to get a complete skill at tier 5 or 6, but a 2+ skill crew is much easier at tier 8+, just because of the greater xp per game. And always accelerate crew training when you can because it gives double xp to the lowest trained crew for that game. 

Retrain the Domination crews for tanks of the same class that you're playing. Pointless keeping them hanging around the barracks forever, and unless you've played Domination mode very heavily (2+ skills) they'll be inadequate when dropped into normal tier 10s.

Make your KV-1 your commander trainer.

Keep your crew in the KV-1 until you've got them to 100% on the first skill, re-skill the commander for sixth sense and send him into your next soviet tank with a new crew. Then recruit a new KV-1 commander with the old, skilled crew and let Accelerated Crew Training work its magic. Once that second commander gets sixth sense send him on to your next soviet line and repeat the process. You'll also make a decent amount of credits too.

In 621 KV-1 battles I got two 6th sense commanders and the third is up to 40% on first skill. I only stopped because I'd already got crews on all the other soviet lines the normal way. I wish I'd thought of it sooner, I'd have had decent commanders on my soviet lights and mediums a hell of a lot earlier.  

So from my experience, you really won't get to multiple skill crews until around tier 7 or 8 if you continuously train them with credits as soon as you unlock a tank. However, you may not want to move on right away. I'd advise you to hang on to the KV-1 for a while, before you get the KV-1S, T-150, or KV-85. Wait until you hit 100% on your first crew skills, and by then you will not only have a good crew to move into a higher tank, but also a significantly better knowledge of the game. Practice sidescraping and angling your armor in the KV-1. Get good at trading efficiently/learning when to trade, etc. Once you have a good grasp of those concepts, move on to the T-150 or KV-85, which are both very good tanks as well, and move your good crew over as you progress through the tiers. 

^ This and remember the Churchill III ability of using the crewsnot trained for it, ie you can put your KV-1 crew in the churchill III without retraining and without losing on effectiveness! T5 prems are amazing crew trainers and decent credit grinders, you have the tank u might as well use it to train your russian heavy tank crews ;)

What @lisiate said can be done with the Churchill III, it's also more profitable and quicker (bonus exp and crew exp of premium tanks), plus you wouldn't need a dedicated crew for a tank and once you move forward you can use other HT crews as well.

Thanks for all the helpful replies! I think, mostly, I already do what most of you have indicated.

I play on my KV-1 each day to get the first victory x2 bonus and then I move my crew into my Churchill III and get the first victory for the crew again (only this time with accelerated crew training). That has allowed them to progress fairly quickly. I just wasn't sure what other steps I should be taking to ensure I don't get a sub-par crew later on.

I don't intend on FLYING through the tiers; I do understand that I should play it slow and learn things as I go. However, I DID want to plow through the first 4 tiers. It's just so miserable playing low level games. I'm sure when I'm better at the game I'll enjoy going back to lower tiers but, as of now, I hate them. I'd rather have a tank with armor that isn't completely negligible to everyone else in the game :/

I appreciate all of the help! I'm hoping that there is a garage slot sale this weekend because my garage is very small and full already :( I need more slots!

Hmm. When you get better at the game you might end up hating lower tiers more. That has been my experience so far, at least. Intelligent gameplay is still fucking uncommon at higher tiers but at least it's not nearly as bad as at lower tiers.

Well, on the SEA server, at least. :facepalm:

I don't intend on FLYING through the tiers; I do understand that I should play it slow and learn things as I go. However, I DID want to plow through the first 4 tiers. It's just so miserable playing low level games. I'm sure when I'm better at the game I'll enjoy going back to lower tiers but, as of now, I hate them. I'd rather have a tank with armor that isn't completely negligible to everyone else in the game :/

You pretty much hit that nail on the head

frabz-well-done-young-man-98da4e.jpg

So, I saw the Quick Questions/Quick Answers thread and it made me a little claustrophobic. I didn't like the idea of shotgunning my question into the thread and hoping for a meaningful response -- it didn't seem like I'd get a very personal answer.

So, here it goes: I'm pretty much a new guy (see my Hello, World! post) and I'm trying to learn more about the game in order to be better at it. I'm not a complete idiot; I've read most of the articles on the wiki as well as various people's write-ups on game mechanics and such. I understand how Crews work (give or take a few Skills/pieces of equipment) and the importance of having good crews. However, what isn't as clear is how to go about achieving multiple-skill crews. I currently have 5 or so Tier IV tanks and 2 Tier V tanks (one of which is the Churchill III premium tank).

Through my advancement in the tiers, I have been retraining my crews at 75% each time using credits. However, as I could have predicted, that never really allows me to get enough XP to get any skills or perks. The time spent in the tanks as I progress up the line are not nearly enough to get a crew to any sort of meaningful level. I desperately need advice on how to treat my crews as I enter mostly Tier V range. I don't have many great, specific questions that I know will help me, either.

I guess I'll use a situation to help ask my question. Currently, I have a KV-1. I've heard that it's a great tank to keep in your garage and so I planned on keeping it around. I currently have a crew with about 90% Major Qualification rating and I'm not sure what I should do with that crew once I get to the KV-1S. Since I plan on keeping the KV-1, should I train a new crew for the KV-1S to 75%?

What should I do with the Domination 100% crews that I now have in my barracks? I'm scared to waste them on low-tier tanks. It has, however, overfilled my barracks to the point where I had to purchase new barracks slots or else I couldn't transfer a crew from one tank to another (because my barracks were overfilled).

TL;DR: I'm in a tough spot with learning how to properly handle my crews to maximize the effectiveness of them and to achieve more skills on each crew. What the hell should I do?!

I never bother with keeping a crew/transferring crews until I hit tier 6, the amount of XP you gain for that crew is pretty much nonexistent because the XP grind is pretty short until tier 6.

A tank without a good crew is a shit tank. How to achieve a good crew: Play lots of battles to gain XP for your crew to level up and research the proper crew skills, if you don't have a pot of gold to blow on resetting every time you gain knowledge on game mechanics then you need to be very careful with what you choose. This is why wotlabs is here. :)

Great article on how to choose these skills: http://rocketbrainsurgeon.com/crew-skills-perks-unicum/ Starting out I'd choose Repairs for all members except Sixth sense on commander. Yes, you won't have the repairs on your commander(in order to be most effective repairs should be trained on all members), but in your specific case this is the best way.

When your commander has 6th activated (perks vs skills) then repairs on commander's 2nd skill.

Not using a crew is wasted potential, every game brings them much closer to completing a skill and effecting your gameplay drastically, what good is a 100% crew if it sits in the barracks?

If you want a crew in kv1 keep it's current crew and use your domination crew in the kv1s, tier 6 is where you can start training that crew, t7 will be a bitch without a decent crew.

I wouldn't worry too much about crews except basic Repair/6th sense and more on game mechanics (angling, side scraping and armor weak & strong points/profiles) and how that should affect what you do.

I hope that answered your questions. :) 

Hey Drostcol! Thanks for that bit; it certainly helps.

You did spark a question in me: when I go for Sixth sense, should I go for it outright? What I mean by that:

1. Should I go for 6th sense as my first perk, outright

2. Should I go for Repairs and then 40% of a second skill and then "reset" skills/perks and get 6th sense? (This enables me to utilize SOMETHING instead of going from 0% to 100% without any benefits.

I've heard of a lot of people doing the latter and I didn't know if it was somethihng I should standardize when going for Sixth Sense on my commanders

Also, if i were a new or semi experienced player without many  crews, i would spend several hundread battles on domination and other events thas has only positives: no battle records, credit making, free xp and crew training.

Plus i would play without selecting any perks, so i could retrain crews to other tanks with silver without having to reset them and lose extra %.

If you are starting a new crew up in a non elite tank, I would go for repairs (depending on the tank) first, get it to 100%, then train up to 40% on the second and then reset them to SS at 100% and repairs for the second. If you already have a good crew in a elite tank and are just training commanders, I would just accelerate crew training and train SS right away as he will be getting double xp every battle so it will be half as many games to get the first skill complete.

Spend gold @ retraining of skills plz. Not doing so makes you waste so much time on grinding compared to the 100 gold retraining cost when it is on sale.

The BAD news is that every Tank is vunerable in the Game.  There isn't a tank that's impervious to Fire from the enemy.  Even the Biggest and Baddest can be easily crippled and then picked apart.  The Key is slowing down, learning how the Tank works (Tacticaly) and using it's advantages.  100% trained crews also make a difference to how the Tank plays, Accuracy, control, spotting etc...

As hard as it may seem, sticking to Tiers 4 - 6 is where you'll learn the most in preparation for the higher Tiers, where you'll face Tanks with 2 - 3 skill crews, and all the advantages it brings over you in the same Tank.

I'm thinking of keeping all T 3-5 tanks  as training for  5+th crew - using for first x2-x5  games. 75% still Ok-ish. and this should allow to get skills much faster..

e.g.  M7,M37, M41 for M44 crew.; KV1,KV1S for T150 etc.

would it be comparable with trainning on prem. tanks ? 

34 minutes ago, geek7 said:

I'm thinking of keeping all T 3-5 tanks  as training for  5+th crew - using for first x2-x5  games. 75% still Ok-ish. and this should allow to get skills much faster..

e.g.  M7,M37, M41 for M44 crew.; KV1,KV1S for T150 etc.

would it be comparable with trainning on prem. tanks ? 

What you will find is that due to HP pools that T5+ tanks will have more potential XP available. Additionally T5+ tanks in general have a greater potential to damage higher tier tanks than T3-T4.  Thus the net potential crew XP/game return is much better in T5+.

Having said that; there not only is there a performance penalty (nominally 25%) for "no vehicle competence" crews in the same Type (e.g. KV-1 crew in KV-1S) there is also an XP penalty when your crew has "no vehicle competence" that will negate whatever advantage you envision by keeping T3-T4 tanks and running your crews in them with the performance penalty. (Nominally 50% in the scenario you describe.)

The power of premiums is the "no vehicle competence" penalties do not apply if within the same type and there are various inherent XP and credit modifiers for certain premiums.

So to increase crew skill quickly play tank(s) you like/do well in, elite the tank(s) and turn on "accelerated crew training", and get a matching premium tank to double down on the "times X" events and grind crews and credits...and then retrain for credits/gold when you move up.

Check out this post for a more in-depth presentation...

I never play any tank without a 100% crew. If you are not getting that with gold , retrain for the next tank and use a premium for that nation/role to get them up to 100% before using them in the next tank in the line. 

Also if a crew has even 1% trained in a skill they should be transferred into the next tank instead of getting a new crew, otherwise that experience is wasted.

Just my 2 cents.

As listed above there is a huge crew xp penalty for this, and you will rapidly realize how frustrating it is to try to eke out a win in those tiers with a crap crew.

it is worth starting a new crew for future use and only running it for tank or crew bonus though

15 hours ago, 8_Hussars said:

Having said that; there not only is there a performance penalty (nominally 25%) for "no vehicle competence" crews in the same Type (e.g. KV-1 crew in KV-1S) there is also an XP penalty when your crew has "no vehicle competence" that will negate whatever advantage you envision by keeping T3-T4 tanks and running your crews in them with the performance penalty. (Nominally 50% in the scenario you describe.)

I totally missed XP penalty fact.   Thank you very much! This is literally game changer.

Also I looked at stats of my T67 vs Wolverine stats (I used crew  from T67 in Wolverine) .. win rate in T67 is 52.68% xp 275; Wolverine 36% , 194...  wow

Yes T67 is OP and better tank than Wolverine and there also some psychological factor (i.e.   subconscious "lets get this x2 and done with it” on Wolverine) .. but, it shouldn’t be THAT big..  I terribly underestimated effect of crew on performance.

194*2(first battle x2)/2(50% penalty)=194 .. vs  regular 275 on T67.

I don’t care much about stats… yet, but could see how it suffers from this tactic +obvious slowdown on training progress… Only good I see in it – I get an idea on Wolverine characteristics, but it also screwed by underperforming crew altering the picture.

Sounds like only prev. tier tanks will be good for – clan fights (my understanding it’s T6 & T8),

also T5 as credit maker? not sure about it..